Money for nuthin,banned in Canada


Unforgiven
+2
#1
Please join me in contacting these people with your email and let's stop the international embarrassment.

Ronald I. Cohen National Chair
ron.cohen@cbsc.ca

John MacNab Executive Director
jmacnab@cbsc.ca

Teisha Gaylard Director of Policy
tgaylard@cbsc.ca

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled that Dire Straits' 1980s hit Money for Nothing is too offensive for Canadian radio.

The ruling, released Wednesday, was in response to a complaint against St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM. The listener complained that the word faggot which appears three times in the song is "extremely offensive" to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

The council ruled that the song contravenes its ethics code which states: "broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.":

It ruled that "faggot," when used to describe a homosexual, is "even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so."

For the record! YouTube - Dire Straits - Money For Nothing + lyrics
 
Avro
#2
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
 
karrie
#3
I don't know either. I'm of two minds on it.
 
Avro
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I don't know either. I'm of two minds on it.

On the one hand I don't want to curb free speech but on the other I don't want to have a word played out on the radio that many find derogatory.
 
karrie
+1
#5
I see no reason not to censor the word out on typical air play (or not play the song). But, I likewise see no reason to censor it out in sales as it is a piece of art history.
 
Avro
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I see no reason not to censor the word out on typical air play (or not play the song). But, I likewise see no reason to censor it out in sales as it is a piece of art history.

I don't think they are banning the song for sale...just radio play.
 
rooibos
#7
censor the word out, just like you would any other 'sensitive' word.
 
eh1eh
+1
#8
We have at least two out gay men on here. It would be nice to hear from them about how offensive the word is in the context of this song. Obviously nobody wants to be referred to by any derogatory term but in the artistic context I think there is a difference.

Besides. It is not stated whether the 'little faggot with the ear ring and makeup' is indeed gay or not. He could just be a little faggot and not gay.
 
lone wolf
+1
#9
I doubt if Knopfler intended the word with as much malice as a few dorks need to feel....
 
Said1
#10
Considering the song is about Motley Crue and my beloved Nikki Sixx, I say BANNED!!!!!!
 
eh1eh
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

Considering the song is about Motley Crue and my beloved Nikki Sixx, I say BANNED!!!!!!

So Nikki = non faggot?
 
lone wolf
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

Considering the song is about Motley Crue and my beloved Nikki Sixx, I say BANNED!!!!!!

Funny.... I'd heard Prince.

Fan rags, eh?...
 
Said1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

So Nikki = non faggot?

So Nikki = non faggot? =duh!

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Funny.... I'd heard Prince.

Fan rags, eh?...

No from the source, Mr. Sixx. But it fits many from the 80's
 
lone wolf
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

So Nikki = non faggot? =duh!



No from the source, Mr. Sixx. But it fits many from the 80's

Was he as offended at they with the need to be?
 
Unforgiven
+1
#15
Really? One person make a complaint and it's banned for the rest of the country?
Do you know what that means? Here is the ruling from the CBSC.

CAB Equitable Portrayal Code, Clause 2 Human Rights

Recognizing that every person has the right to the full enjoyment of certain fundamental rights and freedoms, broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.

CAB Equitable Portrayal Code, Clause 7 Degrading Material

Broadcasters shall avoid the airing of degrading material, whether reflected in words, sounds, images or by other means, which is based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.

CBSC Decision*| CHOZ-FM re the song “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits

So the Internet being a medium for broadcasting makes CC for example a broadcaster. So what does that mean for what can and can't be posted, words, sounds, images or other means especially where the term degrade is used?

Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

I don't think they are banning the song for sale...just radio play.

No they are saying that the word faggot for example can't be broadcast in any means. Not just radio.
 
TenPenny
+3
#16
I gather that nobody on the CBSC actually understands the song, but that's no surprise.

Money for nothin and my chicks for free.
 
Said1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Was he as offended at they with the need to be?

He didn't seem to care.
 
Unforgiven
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I gather that nobody on the CBSC actually understands the song, but that's no surprise.

Money for nothin and my chicks for free.

Exactly and it would seem a good number of people here. I am saddened by that.

Literally I expect that if some took out a nice old car all cleaned up and restored to mint condition, and the three kids on the corner hollered out sick ride dude, they would stop the car and immediately investigate the car from top to bottom to find out just what this mysterious illness that has according to eye witnesses, affected their car.
 
lone wolf
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

He didn't seem to care.

Then I wonder why it matters to they with the need to feel shamed?

Maybe we should forward this thread....
 
Unforgiven
#20
YouTube - Why the word Faggot makes everyone so Upset - From the Kids in the Hall
 
TenPenny
#21
Can't even get a decent smoke anymore, due to the CBSC.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#22
Politicaly lyrics???

Well I don't mean to piss you off with things I might say
So when I try to shut my mouth, they come out anyway
So when I speak my mind, that's when we connect
Yeah, but that's not politically correct

Your head's so filled with thought, you can't use your imagination
Like a sky so filled with stars; you can't find a constellation
And everyone's so sensitive to any bad vibration
You're so impressing, while we're regressing

Cuz I don't mean to piss you off with things I might say
But when I try to shut my mouth they come out anyway

There's nothing I believe in more than my own insignificance
So why does everybody think my words can make a difference?
I just don't have time to think up every social consequence
I just keep on talking, and you keep applauding

And I don't mean to piss you off with things I might say
But when I try to shut my mouth, they come out anyway
And if you spoke your mind, you might feel more connected
Until you stand politically corrected

You lean a little to the left or the right, but
You can only see who's on your side
And look a little like a deer in the headlights
A little blind and hypnotized
So you conform with the best of intention
Change comes from inside
And after all, that's what this country was founded on
Do nothing different, just fall in line

Tell me what happened to make us so afraid, that
You couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today? No!
I saw Blazing Saddles yesterday

I don't mean to piss you off with things I might say
But when I try to shut my mouth, they come out anyway
And I don't mean to piss you off with things I might say
And when I try to shut my mouth they come out anyway... GO!
 
darkbeaver
+1
#23
It should be changed to queer.
 
Colpy
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Please join me in contacting these people with your email and let's stop the international embarrassment.

Ronald I. Cohen National Chair
ron.cohen@cbsc.ca

John MacNab Executive Director
jmacnab@cbsc.ca

Teisha Gaylard Director of Policy
tgaylard@cbsc.ca

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled that Dire Straits' 1980s hit Money for Nothing is too offensive for Canadian radio.

The ruling, released Wednesday, was in response to a complaint against St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM. The listener complained that the word faggot which appears three times in the song is "extremely offensive" to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

The council ruled that the song contravenes its ethics code which states: "broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.":

It ruled that "faggot," when used to describe a homosexual, is "even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so."

For the record! YouTube - Dire Straits - Money For Nothing + lyrics

ABSOLUTELY!

Dire Straits is a great band, and this is just so idiotic.

I was planning on starting a thread on this myself, but you beat me to it.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+5
#25  Top Rated Post
God damn it Unf, I've got stuff to do, but I had to come back and put my two cents in on this.

The censoring of this song on radio is moronic. This is not about disparaging gays, it's about representing a character through the use of language. The character in this case happens to be a bigoted warehouse worker referring to the Mtv generation.

This is what happens when we start censoring for the sake of hurt feelings. We cut words out of books, no matter what context they are used in. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is a benchmark book and in the context the "N" word is used is to identify the prejudice faced by black men in the South. What is evident about this conversation is that I can't even say a word in context of discussion because it is deemed offensive if I say it because I'm white.

This is the same insanity that tries to muffle unpopular speech, whether its the group who says Don Cherry should not be able to talk about soldiers in Afghanistan or the extremists who call someone Un-Canadian/American if they question foreign policy. This is why there should be no hate speech legislation, why there should be no Human Rights Commisions to attack comedians who disparage Lesbian Hecklers.

I will write to these people Unf, because I know that if they will come after Mark Knopfler, they will go after Quentin Tarintino, and eventually they might end up on my doorstep or yours because of something I said or you wrote on a forum.

Literature, Music, expression is the cornerstone of the freedom we enjoy and we should never surrender it.

Ever.

Mark
 
Unforgiven
#26
Hang the **** on here.

CBSC isn't a government committee nor has it any affiliation what so ever with the government of Canada.
It's a membership group of broadcasters. They shouldn't decide what I am allowed to see and what I am not in my country.

That's like a group of insurance companies telling you that you can't go to the emergency room because they say so.
 
Colpy
+3
#27

  • (Brian Gable/The Globe and Mail)
 
Avro
#28
Just curious, have they deemed the word "nigger" offensive in rap music?
 
Goober
+2
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I see no reason not to censor the word out on typical air play (or not play the song). But, I likewise see no reason to censor it out in sales as it is a piece of art history.

Well they censored Mark Twain and the story was being against racism. So I disagree - Like TV you can always change the channel if you do not like it - or write the station but to ban the song - Overboard.

I think that every radio station in the country - regardless of what type of music they play, get together and play the song at least once per hour.


A claear example of how one sentence spoken in Canada or in England, and common usage in the UK is completely misunderstood in Canada. The result of such a spoken phrase would cause an uproar.

UK - Bar scene - Fellow stands up - states I am going out to bum a fag -

I am sure some older folk like myself wold know exactly what he was going to do.
 
Johnnny
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Just curious, have they deemed the word "nigger" offensive in rap music?

Only if your not black
 

Similar Threads

622
British MP banned from entering Canada
by earth_as_one | Jan 14th, 2011
9
Bank of Canada may revert to printing money
by Francis2004 | Apr 7th, 2009