Rockin 'n' rollin on Mars: Rolling Stones have space rock named after them

spaminator
Rockin 'n' rollin on Mars: Rolling Stones have space rock named after them
Reuters
Published:
August 23, 2019
Updated:
August 23, 2019 9:19 AM EDT
From left, Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones perform onstage at Rose Bowl on August 22, 2019 in Pasadena, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
The Rolling Stones have rocked stages around the world in their more than 50-year career. But now their influence has gone into space after NASA’s Mars InSight Mission named a rock on the planet after the band.
Slightly larger than a golf ball, the “Rolling Stones Rock” is said to have rolled some 3 feet (1 metre), spurred by the InSight spacecraft’s thrusters during touchdown on Mars in November, NASA said.
“In images taken by InSight the next day, several divots in the orange-red soil can be seen trailing Rolling Stones Rock,” it said. “It’s the farthest NASA has seen a rock roll while landing a spacecraft on another planet.”
Rolling Stones’ Mick Jagger back in training after heart operation
‘FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH’: Keith Richards says Taylor Swift won’t be around in 20 years
Actor Robert Downey Jr. announced the name as Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts were about to perform on Thursday night at Pasadena’s Rose Bowl Stadium, close to NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
The Rolling Stones, known for hits such as Sympathy For The Devil and Brown Sugar, called the honour “a milestone in our long and eventful history.”
While the “Rolling Stones Rock” name is informal, it will feature on working maps of Mars, NASA said, but only the International Astronomical Union can give official scientific names for locations, asteroids and other objects in the solar system.

http://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/1164743451210080257
http://torontosun.com/news/world/roc...mes-after-them

Curious Cdn
"See that big pock marked one on the right?

That one's called Keef."

Blackleaf
It's crazy to think the Rolling Stones are still going.

They were formed in the same year as Britain's first colour newspaper and the hanging of Adolf Eichmann in Israel (1962), yet here they are still releasing No1 albums.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

It's crazy to think the Rolling Stones are still going.
They were formed in the same year as Britain's first colour newspaper and the hanging of Adolf Eichmann in Israel (1962), yet here they are still releasing No1 albums.

They used Eichmann's last words in one of their lyrics

"Hey!

Jews!

Get offa my cloud!"

... but their publisher asked for a re-write.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

They used Eichmann's last words in one of their lyrics
"Hey!
Jews!
Get offa my cloud!"

... but their publisher asked for a re-write.

Nah. Eichmann's (the man who orchestrated the Final Solution) last words were:

"Long live Germany. Long live Argentina. Long live Austria. These are the three countries with which I have been most connected and which I will not forget. I greet my wife, my family, and my friends. I am ready. We'll meet again soon, as is the fate of all men. I die believing in God."

Blackleaf
The Rolling Stones - "Mother's Little Helper" (1966)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OusADDs_3ps

Curious Cdn
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Nah. Eichmann's (the man who orchestrated the Final Solution) last words were:
"Long live Germany. Long live Argentina. Long live Austria. These are the three countries with which I have been most connected and which I will not forget. I greet my wife, my family, and my friends. I am ready. We'll meet again soon, as is the fate of all men. I die believing in God."

The Stones must have spent weeks editing that down.