late night war

spaminator
YouTube - Appledaily《 Action news 》Showdown at NBC

shadowshiv
This whole fiasco just shows me how out of touch from reality that NBC is. No wonder they are the last-place network on television(of the main networks, not minor ones like CW).

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

This whole fiasco just shows me how out of touch from reality that NBC is. No wonder they are the last-place network on television(of the main networks, not minor ones like CW).

agreed. nbc really made a mess of things. they apparently won't allow conan to use anything that he used on nbc. eg. triumph the insult comic dog, the masturbating bear, kermit the vomitor etc. it will be interesting to see how jay and conan do in regards to ratings.

Bar Sinister
Craig Ferguson (who is part of Letterman's empire) is the best of the bunch so far as I can tell. Mind you I have not watched much of Kimmel or Fallon.

Dexter Sinister
I find it REALLY hard to care about what happens to Conan O'Brien or Jay Leno or David Letterman or Jimmy Kimmel or any of the rest of them. I've seen all their programs and remain deeply unimpressed. "Shallow and stupid" pretty much covers it for me.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

agreed. nbc really made a mess of things. they apparently won't allow conan to use anything that he used on nbc. eg. triumph the insult comic dog, the masturbating bear, kermit the vomitor etc. it will be interesting to see how jay and conan do in regards to ratings.

I wonder how long that will be? If Conan created those characters, I can't see NBC being allowed to prevent him from using them forever.

Oh well. NBC will probably be gone within 5 years anyhow.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

I find it REALLY hard to care about what happens to Conan O'Brien or Jay Leno or David Letterman or Jimmy Kimmel or any of the rest of them. I've seen all their programs and remain deeply unimpressed. "Shallow and stupid" pretty much covers it for me.

It's not just Conan that gets affected by this. There is every member of the crew that left with him to go to the new show(different locales) that no longer have jobs. I respect Conan as he fought to get them all severance money, as NBC did not want to pay them a penny.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

I wonder how long that will be? If Conan created those characters, I can't see NBC being allowed to prevent him from using them forever.

Oh well. NBC will probably be gone within 5 years anyhow.

nbc may own the rights to the characters that conan used.

shadowshiv

I guess he'll have to get them back when NBC goes belly-up.

TenPenny

I would expect so; typically, your employer will own the rights to anything that you come up with during the course of your job.

Did anyone see Conan's sketch with the Bugatti Veyron Mouse? He used the most expensive car, and used 'Satisfaction' by the Stones as the soundtrack, for the simple reason that it was the most expensive thing he could come up with for a comedy sketch, and NBC had to pay for it.

Quite amusing.

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I would expect so; typically, your employer will own the rights to anything that you come up with during the course of your job.

Did anyone see Conan's sketch with the Bugatti Veyron Mouse? He used the most expensive car, and used 'Satisfaction' by the Stones as the soundtrack, for the simple reason that it was the most expensive thing he could come up with for a comedy sketch, and NBC had to pay for it.

Quite amusing.

Yeah, but he also said during his last show on Friday that those "expensive" items were a hoax, a joke.