Counterfeit Canadian money

Tyr
Seem that there are quite a few bills showing up lately that are "fake"

I precursor to the coming Depression?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ci-rc/repo...f-2007-eng.pdf

Spade
When I was a kid (before dirt), some of the big boys used to coat pennies with mercury and pass them off as dimes. They are probably all in Parliament by now! Crime does not pay.
PS
Is there anyone besides me who thinks that stores which do not accept 50s are a pain in the butt?
Last edited by Spade; Feb 28th, 2009 at 04:10 PM..Reason: Spell

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

When I was a kid (before dirt), some of the big boys used to coat pennies with mercury and pass them off as dimes. They are probably all in Parliament by now! Crime does not pay.
PS
Is there anyone besides me who thinks that stores which do not accept 50s are a pain in the butt?

This guys have problems making change... so a fifty is out of the question

ps. Is it YOUR fifty

Tyr
Just as I thought!!!

Colpy
It is damned near impossible to counterfeit Canadian bills effectively.......except that nobody really looks.

take out a bill.

Down the right side is a reflective strip that shows maple leafs wheb turned in the light.

On the left side, beside the large denomination numbers, there is a small set of numbers (the denomination) you can only completely see when the bill is held up against a light.

Also, just to the left of centre of the bill, the face of the person appearing on the bill also appears in miniature when the bill is held up against a light.

The stores would not have a problem with counterfeits if they gave their clerks a 10 minute instruction on detecting them......and hired enough so they have time to actually LOOK at the money.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyr View Post

Seem that there are quite a few bills showing up lately that are "fake"

I precursor to the coming Depression?

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ci-rc/repo...f-2007-eng.pdf

Actually, counterfeits would help get us out of depression. They don't cause recession, but they do threaten inflation.

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

It is damned near impossible to counterfeit Canadian bills effectively.......except that nobody really looks.

take out a bill.

Down the right side is a reflective strip that shows maple leafs wheb turned in the light.

On the left side, beside the large denomination numbers, there is a small set of numbers (the denomination) you can only completely see when the bill is held up against a light.

Also, just to the left of centre of the bill, the face of the person appearing on the bill also appears in miniature when the bill is held up against a light.

The stores would not have a problem with counterfeits if they gave their clerks a 10 minute instruction on detecting them......and hired enough so they have time to actually LOOK at the money.

there are machines that are virtually fool proof but people (for some reason) don't use them much. Go figure

Spade

take out a bill.

Geezus, all my bills have reflective strips on the left side! One of us is pooched!
Cousin Spade

Francis2004

PS

What kills me even more is a gas station that refuses $50.00 when you fill up and it cost you near $100.00. Calling me a thief from a pro is quite comical..

CanadianLove
http://bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/...mmary_0608.pdf

From the Bank of Canada report I have to say that Canadians have too much time on their hands, and maybe, the crooks here are a little too artistic.

Machjo
Hey, this gives me an idea. Considering that counterfeiting currency actually stimulates the economy, I'm thinking of writing to the bank of Canada and ask for permission to counterfeit as much money as I want for the duration of the recession. I can guarantee that my increased consumption will create plenty of jobs... especially in the food services industry.

Machjo
Actually, if I print off enough, I could help stimulate the home construction industry too. And I wouldn't mind going back to school either. So a few more jobs there. Really, giving me carte blanche to counterfeit money would be the wisest thing the Bank of Canada could do at this moment. I can't speak for the inflation that would ensue, but at least it would get us out of recession.

Machjo
Now that I think about it, I think a few nice suits could be in the works. Yeah, clothing industry too.

MHz
Isn't it just the older 50's and 100's that aren't taken, the newer ones are scanned before being accepted. If you have troubles using the 50's why accept them in the 1st place?

Colpy

Geezus, all my bills have reflective strips on the left side! One of us is pooched!
Cousin Spade

Geezus! The other right!

You are correct of course, I'm screwed.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Now that I think about it, I think a few nice suits could be in the works. Yeah, clothing industry too.

When I go to the ATM, and whisper in its "slot" that I don't want 50s, she ignores me!

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Isn't it just the older 50's and 100's that aren't taken, the newer ones are scanned before being accepted. If you have troubles using the 50's why accept them in the 1st place?

I quoted the wrong poster! Money rattles me!

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by SirFrancis2004 View Post

What kills me even more is a gas station that refuses $50.00 when you fill up and it cost you near $100.00. Calling me a thief from a pro is quite comical..

What if that's is your only money? If they won't accept a 50 (and no sign on the pump)the gas should be free, even the cops would be on your side. You offerred to pay but the clerk refused your "legal' money.

Machjo

When I go to the ATM, and whisper in its "slot" that I don't want 50s, she ignores me!

No problem. Just make sure the counterfeits are well made. The bank will take them.

Machjo

What if that's is your only money? If they won't accept a 50 (and no sign on the pump)the gas should be free, even the cops would be on your side. You offerred to pay but the clerk refused your "legal' money.

Exactly, if it's counterfeited well, it's legal.

lone wolf
Blah ... just colour copy Canadian Tire money. Everyone trusts Andy McIntyre....

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Blah ... just colour copy Canadian Tire money. Everyone trusts Andy McIntyre....

I still have lots of these!

Diarygirl
For real, Spade, what is it worth today? (The1850 Newfoundland Pound...that's unique...not many around today, I'm sure!)

VanIsle

take out a bill.

There are other ways visible to the bare eye and hand. For one thing, true bills have little dots on them that can be scratched off. If they don't scratch off - you have a conterfeit bill. True money has raised serial numbers and counterfeit does not. If you hold a bill up to the light, you will see a head in the mid bottome area - this is also real. Take a brand spanking new $100.00 bill and rub it on a piece of white paper. If it's fake - your paper will stay white. If the colour rubs off - your bill is real.
Our store has just installed 6 self serve check-outs. It instantly recognizes phoney money and spits it out. While I did not try to explain it to an old fellow I had yesterday - his money would not go through. It was an older $20.00. We tried 3 - 4 times. I knew beyond a doubt that this man was not making any attempt at giving me a phoney bill but I also knew that he had a phoney bill. He asked me if maybe we should try another bill to which I agreed and it worked instantly. I hope he's able to pass it off somewhere without it costing him. At a regular till though, chances are, that money would have gone through the store.
I have 2 fifty dollar bills that are old. They are of the RCMP musical ride. Someone brought them into the store and I am not allowed to exchange any money in my till with another cashier. However, I wanted the bills. I was going on a break soon, so, I picked up a chocolate bar, went through the same till with it being "manned" by another cashier who had taken over from me. I told her I would like to have $100.00 cash back and I would like the two $50.00 bills I knew were in the drawer. Now I am wondering if I could have phoney bills. Only days after I did that, there was a local announcement stating that people were passing phoney old looking bills. Bills with the Ride on them are of value. The ones I have would not be high value even if (I hope and pray) they are real because they are old. It's easy to see how you can be taken in.

VanIsle

I doubt the police would be on the side of the customer. It is wrong for them not to have signage. I'm sure they asked you (Sir Francis) for alternative payment such as a credit card or debit card. If anyone was going to call the police it would be the place of business and at that point I guess it could be up to the member to make the call - real or fake. Probably most of them do not know anymore about it then John Q Public. I think if it was all I had on me, I would be checking with the business first. Lots of stores do not take 50's or 100's so it's just better to always ask. As long as you are nearly 100% certain it is real, if you have no other way you can always go to your bank, make a deposit and then withdraw the amount in smaller bills. Most banks still dispense only 20's which can be a royal pain.