Insanity in the U.K.

Locutus
What the hell is going on over there man?

Police are considering charging a 10-year-old boy with a race hate crime after he was beaten by a Slovakian woman with an iron bar.

That's right. Jeezus H.

Here's the rest of it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nschool127.xml

triedit
Sumbitch threw food at her and told her to go back to her own country. I can see why she did it. I hope they charge them both.

Just the Facts
Quote: Originally Posted by triedit View Post

Sumbitch threw food at her and told her to go back to her own country. I can see why she did it. I hope they charge them both.

I know how some snotty little brats can make it inviting to drill 'em a good one, but adults are supposed to know better. You don't hit kids with iron bars, no matter how bad they get under your skin. You just don't. Grab 'em by the ankle and swing 'em around some, maybe. But no iron bars.

Just the Facts
Not to be a stickler, but is telling someone to go back to their own country really a racial slur? Seems kind of a stretch to me.

triedit
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the Facts View Post

I know how some snotty little brats can make it inviting to drill 'em a good one, but adults are supposed to know better. You don't hit kids with iron bars, no matter how bad they get under your skin. You just don't. Grab 'em by the ankle and swing 'em around some, maybe. But no iron bars.

Which is why I suggested they charge them BOTH.

eh1eh
Further, I'm sure he learned it at home.

Zzarchov
Considering that this is in fact (in this case) NOT their own country (they aren't immigrants, they didn't get citizenship nor do they want it), It would seem to me its not racist.

It would be like me complaining of racism if I vacationed in Florida and someone said "go back to Canada".

It would be rude, but not racist.

goat
Quote:

What the hell is going on over there man?

Good question.

Cameras everywhere, no smoking in your car, no talking on mobiles in your car, no speeding, no picking your nose and chewing it chewing it.

It is the beginning of the end

Curiosity
Sort of Big Brother with a twist of Nanny State???

Sounds like the inmates are running the place.

Pangloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the Facts View Post

Not to be a stickler, but is telling someone to go back to their own country really a racial slur? Seems kind of a stretch to me.

It's not if your opinion is formed by concerns about social policy (ie, rate of immigration, availability of services/jobs/housing for the immigrants, the ability of the resident/immigrant populations to adjust to each other, for example) and not just about "race".

Pangloss

Pangloss

I can't see why she did it - the kid is 10 years old. Is smacking a ten year old with a two foot long iron rod ever appropriate?

Adults are supposed to be more mature, smarter and in control of their emotions than ten year olds.

Pangloss

triedit
What would you have her do instead? If she calls the cops they're going to laugh at her. Plus the kids would be gone. Im not suggesting it was APPROPRIATE, but certainly understandable.

Pangloss
Triedit:

I would have her walk away. I would have her talk to the boy's mother, I would have her yell at the boy, I would have her go to the school and talk to the class, I would have her talk to her immigration counsellor, her MP, a friend, a neighbour, the police (the fact the police are considering charging the boy gives the lie to your suggestion they would not take it seriously), the list goes on and on.

In short, she could have acted like an adult and not like the viscious thug everybody thinks her compatriots to be - only now they have a reason to think this.

Pangloss

triedit
Those sound reasonable. But if it were me, if a gang of boys threw food at me and yelled slurs, Im not sure I wouldnt snatch a knot in somebody's neck. Obviously talking to the parents (if she even knew who the parents were or what school he went to, etc) isnt going to help; as been said, that's probably where he learned it.

Pangloss
Just because doing the right thing is difficult is not a reason to do the wrong thing.

It is what we call maturity. We bitch and moan about the nanny state, and then we do exactly the thing that makes the nanny state necessary.

Sometimes fixing a problem takes courage and effort, qualities that are obligations of mature personhood - doing the right thing is not a virtue: it is the expected thing.

Pangloss

triedit
Absolutely. But that doesnt make what SHE chose to do unjustified.

Pangloss
It most certainly does remove any justification for her actions. If there were other, less harmful options available to her, she was reasonably and ethically, if not merely legally, obligated to take one of those other options.

If she were cornered or pursued, then the rules change, but I read no evidence of that.

Pangloss

triedit
Why do the rules change? A violence was done to her. Is the severity really an issue in the heat of the moment? Again, Im not suggesting she made the best choice. But I can certainly understand why she did it (justification)

Pangloss
Triedit:

To comprehend is not the same thing as to concur. I can understand the frustration and hurt of taunts, but that doesn't mean I then agree with what she did. Nor does that mean she was right. She certainly is deserving of sympathy for the abuse she suffered (one account is a blackberry (the fruit) was thrown at her while she was told to "Go back to your own country"), but she is equally deserving of condemnation and punishment for her out-of-proportion response.

Sticks and stones and all that. . .

Pangloss

#juan

Absolutely. But that doesnt make what SHE chose to do unjustified.

What possible justification can there be for hitting a ten year old (or anyone else for that matter)with an iron rod?

triedit
Justification for the intent, not the act. I don't agree with what she did either. But the boy certainly deserved something.

And I fully support them charging her, don't get me wrong here. Im simply saying that he deserved some negative reaction, and that her charges should reflect that. Its not like she just walked up and started beating the lad.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

triedit
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

What possible justification can there be for hitting a ten year old (or anyone else for that matter)with an iron rod?

Do you not believe in justifiable homicide either?

Pangloss

Justifiable homicide and beating a ten year old with an iron rod are two totally different things.

"Justifiable" being the operative word.

Let's stick to the story at hand and not digress too far.

Pangloss

Phil B

No.

Blaming someone else for your actions is not justifiable - its a total kop out of responsibilities. *

* I do live in the uk so no death penalty here and allegedly quite lenient treatment in Gaol/prison/holiday camp

triedit
Ok so what I think we have here is a question of semantics. I do not condone what either of them did and feel both should face appropriate punnishment. When I think of "justifiable" to me it means virtually the same as "understandable". Her inappropriate actions were based on inappropriate actions.

Locutus
Just as an aside...what race is Slovakian? The human race? How can they charge this kid with a race hate crime? Race crime? Give it up. The politically squeamish and social engineer wannabees are in need of a reality check.

Pangloss
Triedit:

I know I'm gonna sound like a knob here, but misunderstandings can be avoided with the liberal use of a dictionary.

I know, I know - those are d!nk comments. But true, none the less.

Pangloss