One possible plus to Trump's tariffs.


White_Unifier
#1
Though I think Trump acted foolishly in starting a trade war with Canada, I can see one possible plus coming out of it: a shaking of the foundations of Canada's agricultural, cultural, telecommunications, and other cartels.

For example, should Trump raise tariffs on Canadian cars and other products, that could criple the Canadian economy which in turn could put tremendous public pressure on Canadian agricultural, telecommunications, and other lobbyists to back off Canadian taxpayers and consumers.

It might also make Canada seek international trade more aggressively.

Unfortunately, it can also feed the flames of anti-Americanism for decades to come especially if Canadians feel defeated by it, and that could have major repercussions on both sides exceeding whatever benefit of freer trade forced onto us from the outside.

I'm actually quite divided on that front. Economically, I could see a benefit to Canada if Trump wins the trade war to force us to open our borders more to trade. Politically though, I can see both sides paying a major price for years to come.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Jun 16th, 2018 at 05:00 PM..
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Though I think Trump acted foolishly in starting a trade war with Canada, I can see one possible plus coming out of it: a shaking of the foundations of Canada's agricultural, cultural, telecommunications, and other cartels.

For example, should Trump raise tariffs on Canadian cars and other products, that could cripkethe Canadian economy which in turn could put tremendous public pressure on Canadian agricultural, telecommunications, and other lobbyists to back off Canadian taxpayers and consumers.

It might also make Canada seek international trade more aggressively.

Unfortunately, I can also feed the flames of anti-Americanism for decades to come especially if Canadians feel defeated by it, and that could gave major repercussions on both sides exceeding whatever benefit of freer trade forced onto us from the outside.

I'm actually quite divided on that front. Economically, I could see a benefit to Canada if Temper wins the trade war to force us to open our borders more to trade. Politically though, I can see both sides paying a major price for years to come.

If Trudeau had half a brain he could have had Trump eating out of his hand.
 
White_Unifier
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

If Trudeau had half a brain he could have had Trump eating out of his hand.

I disagree. Trump is totally off his rocker. But I would still be happy if we could use Trump to bust our own cartels.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I disagree. Trump is totally off his rocker. But I would still be happy if we could use Trump to bust our own cartels.

It would be a dull world if we all agreed. My contention is based on Trump's weakness of falling for anything that makes him feel, look or sound good. I think if Korea Kim can humour him anybody can.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I disagree. Trump is totally off his rocker. But I would still be happy if we could use Trump to bust our own cartels.

Unemployed dairy farmers suddenly losing their farms after five, six generations ... that'll help someone, somewhere, I suppose.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1
#6
Canadian: Pocketbook patriotism takes off amid U.S. trade tensions


#BuyCanadian: Pocketbook patriotism takes off amid U.S. trade tensions | CBC News


Might not make a big differencde in the larger scheme of things.....but it does help one feel as if one is doing something ... There is a pleasant nationalist surfacing. If CDA can become less "dependant" or intertwined with the US as a result of this.......it just might be a good thing facilitating a more self reliant CDA..with stronger international relationships . If we can assist the US in its objective to isolate itself ......why not??

Let's just watch and see how Americans like the effects on them ....... due to the silly America fist policy. The phrase sounds as juvenile and selfish as the man who coined it.

Oh and those that support Trump over CDA.....should make arrangements to move the......as that is where their patriotism lies anyhow.
Last edited by Ocean Breeze; Jun 16th, 2018 at 07:11 PM..
 
Sons of Liberty
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

It might also make Canada seek international trade more aggressively.


Start by fixing your protectionist inter provincial trade barriers, it's a joke that you feel you need protection from yourselves.
 
White_Unifier
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Unemployed dairy farmers suddenly losing their farms after five, six generations ... that'll help someone, somewhere, I suppose.

The consumer.
 
Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

The consumer.

for how long??
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Though I think Trump acted foolishly in starting a trade war with Canada, I can see one possible plus coming out of it: a shaking of the foundations of Canada's agricultural, cultural, telecommunications, and other cartels.

For example, should Trump raise tariffs on Canadian cars and other products, that could criple the Canadian economy which in turn could put tremendous public pressure on Canadian agricultural, telecommunications, and other lobbyists to back off Canadian taxpayers and consumers.

It might also make Canada seek international trade more aggressively.

Unfortunately, it can also feed the flames of anti-Americanism for decades to come especially if Canadians feel defeated by it, and that could have major repercussions on both sides exceeding whatever benefit of freer trade forced onto us from the outside.

I'm actually quite divided on that front. Economically, I could see a benefit to Canada if Trump wins the trade war to force us to open our borders more to trade. Politically though, I can see both sides paying a major price for years to come.

It will make pipelines to both coasts much more popular than they already are.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Canadian: Pocketbook patriotism takes off amid U.S. trade tensions


#BuyCanadian: Pocketbook patriotism takes off amid U.S. trade tensions | CBC News


Might not make a big differencde in the larger scheme of things.....but it does help one feel as if one is doing something ... There is a pleasant nationalist surfacing. If CDA can become less "dependant" or intertwined with the US as a result of this.......it just might be a good thing facilitating a more self reliant CDA..with stronger international relationships . If we can assist the US in its objective to isolate itself ......why not??

Let's just watch and see how Americans like the effects on them ....... due to the silly America fist policy. The phrase sounds as juvenile and selfish as the man who coined it.

Oh and those that support Trump over CDA.....should make arrangements to move the......as that is where their patriotism lies anyhow.

America First must be at least 40 years old by now. If not Buy American certainly is.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Unemployed dairy farmers suddenly losing their farms after five, six generations ... that'll help someone, somewhere, I suppose.

If dairy Farmers need price fixing to survive their business model needs fixing anyway.
 
White_Unifier
#11
Also, nothing says we couldn't adopt an incrementalist policy. For example, we could cut all subsidies within five years and unilaterally drop all tariffs within seventy. We could drop some tariffs even sooner through multilateral free trade agreements. If a government passed such a law, then any farm still struggling seventy years from now wouldhave excuse. They would have had seventy years to sell, liquidate, shift to s different business, or something else.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

for how long??

Theoretically for perpetuity since the most efficient farms would survive on either side of the border.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Unemployed dairy farmers suddenly losing their farms after five, six generations ... that'll help someone, somewhere, I suppose.

Purlaine Quebec separatists who rallied behind Rene Levecque . Great letís keep those traitors living in the lap of luxury .

Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Canadian: Pocketbook patriotism takes off amid U.S. trade tensions


#BuyCanadian: Pocketbook patriotism takes off amid U.S. trade tensions | CBC News


Might not make a big differencde in the larger scheme of things.....but it does help one feel as if one is doing something ... There is a pleasant nationalist surfacing. If CDA can become less "dependant" or intertwined with the US as a result of this.......it just might be a good thing facilitating a more self reliant CDA..with stronger international relationships . If we can assist the US in its objective to isolate itself ......why not??

Let's just watch and see how Americans like the effects on them ....... due to the silly America fist policy. The phrase sounds as juvenile and selfish as the man who coined it.

Oh and those that support Trump over CDA.....should make arrangements to move the......as that is where their patriotism lies anyhow.

Check the border cams tomorrow and tell me if everyday Canadians are willing to forgo America .
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Great letís keep those traitors living in the lap of luxury .

Even Alberta has dairy farmers.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Even Alberta has dairy farmers.

So you are a two faced hypocrite along with everything else .
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

So you are a two faced hypocrite along with everything else .

What are you babbling on about now, pigs? If there is some locic in your scatterbrained trail of statements, it escapes me.
 
petros
#16
Meow meow meow.
 
White_Unifier
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

What are you babbling on about now, pigs? If there is some locic in your scatterbrained trail of statements, it escapes me.

Is it pronounced pigs or pugs? Either way, he should included at least one vowel in there.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

What are you babbling on about now, pigs? If there is some locic in your scatterbrained trail of statements, it escapes me.

Of course it does George , everything escapes you . Funny those traitorous Alberta separatists have dairy products just like those traitorous Quebec separatists .

Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Is it pronounced pigs or pugs? Either way, he should included at least one vowel in there.

George thinks calling me a pig hurts my feelings , I think it is a badge of honour .In my younger more viral days if I was called a pig I stated laughingly yup I resemble that remark .
 

Similar Threads

223
Trumpís tariffs are already backfiring
by mentalfloss | Dec 11th, 2019
15
Tariffs are taxes
by Hoid | Apr 6th, 2018
47
Canada fights back with tariffs
by Ten Packs | Apr 18th, 2005