CBC reassigns 'The National' editor over late-night cultural appropriation Twitter co

spaminator
CBC reassigns 'The National' editor over late-night cultural appropriation Twitt

TenPenny
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
I can't imagine what it's like to use cultural appropriation, and apparently I'm not allowed to imagine it.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I can't imagine what it's like to use cultural appropriation, and apparently I'm not allowed to imagine it.

Juice box?

TenPenny
I can imagine a juice box.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I can imagine a juice box.

Juice at last! Juice at last! Thank Gawd Almighty, we have juice at last!

TenPenny
It's a worldwide conspiracy, it's always the Juice.

Danbones
you should apologize for writing that

Jinentonix
+1
After some intensive research, I have come to an incredible conclusion. Taxes are a form of cultural appropriation. So unless your ancestry is Egyptian, supporting the taxation system is engaging in cultural appropriation.

Durry
What's the big deal, doesn't everybody culturally appropriate the Western White culture??

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

What's the big deal, doesn't everybody culturally appropriate the Western White culture??

Nope.

petros
Who doesn't?

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Nope.

Name one culture that hasn't.

This cultural appropriation BS is getting out of hand. Not only is most of it complete nonsense, but in the local paper the other day some author who fancies herself a Metis was bitching because an Aboriginal Canadian was wearing a "Metis sash." What is next, objecting to the use of Aboriginal inventions like the canoe, snowshoe, and demanding that non-Aboriginals stop playing lacrosse?

Cliffy
Is western mindless consumerism considered a culture? I guess if you compare it to a petri dish type of culture.

Jinentonix
+1
Ok, for all the Whiteys who have a problem with cultural appropriation stop doing yoga, eating corn, eating domesticated cattle, pigs and chickens, using numerals, learning foreign languages, practicing any number of eastern martial arts, cooking foreign foods, converting to or practicing any religion, playing chess and any other number of games. Might as well stop eating most tropical fruits as well since most of them come from countries whose people and resources are being exploited. And the list goes on.

Now for the flip side. Non-Whites should not be allowed to play hockey or basketball. Those sports were invented by White people and are part of their culture.
Native North Americans should not be allowed to wear blue jeans and jean jackets. They also shouldn't be allowed to purchase alcohol, it wasn't part of their culture. No electricity, running water, motorized vehicles, firearms or money either.
Black musicians need to quit sampling heavy metal riffs for their own music. Although the right combination of rap/hip hop and heavy metal does work well together. Linkin Park anyone? And Living Color managed to blend a variety of "Black music" with rock/heavy metal.

See? This is why complaining about cultural appropriation is just another form of divide and conquer via identity politics. Think about it, we would have missed out on a lot of amazing music if people didn't "appropriate" the sounds from other cultures' music. Same with any other art form, as well as ideas and knowledge.
I also don't think it's inappropriate to, for example, dress up as a Native for Hallowe'en if it's done respectfully. Although I sure can see it being insulting or offensive to Natives when someone is wearing one of those barely anything on "sexy squaw" costumes.

Society needs to lighten the f*ck up. But the real crux of the problem is this. Progressives, especially those on the Left think it's their job to fix what's wrong with society. Or at least what they perceive as wrong. They ignore the fact that as individuals we should be working on fixing our own personal faults. When you concentrate on those, society's faults will for the most part, fix themselves. But progressives don't want to do that. They don't want to concentrate on their own personal flaws and would rather blame societal flaws because they'd finally have to admit that humans are not even close to being perfect and are not even close to what they think we should be. We are deeply flawed. We blame societal issues like poverty for crime and in some cases economic issues do factor into increased rates of property crimes and likely drug crimes as well. But violent crime isn't really linked to socio-economic class or race. We could live in Rodenberry's utopia where no one really needs to work at a job but all your needs are met and there'd still be crime because that's who we as a species are. Obviously not all of us, but as a species, that's who we are. City states, cultures, nations, empires, all built on violence. We progress as a species through violence, as counter-intuitive as that may sound.

Sorry for sliding a bit off-topic there.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Society needs to lighten the f*ck up. But the real crux of the problem is this. Progressives, especially those on the Left think it's their job to fix what's wrong with society. Or at least what they perceive as wrong. They ignore the fact that as individuals we should be working on fixing our own personal faults. When you concentrate on those, society's faults will for the most part, fix themselves. But progressives don't want to do that. They don't want to concentrate on their own personal flaws and would rather blame societal flaws because they'd finally have to admit that humans are not even close to being perfect and are not even close to what they think we should be. We are deeply flawed. We blame societal issues like poverty for crime and in some cases economic issues do factor into increased rates of property crimes and likely drug crimes as well. But violent crime isn't really linked to socio-economic class or race. We could live in Rodenberry's utopia where no one really needs to work at a job but all your needs are met and there'd still be crime because that's who we as a species are. Obviously not all of us, but as a species, that's who we are. City states, cultures, nations, empires, all built on violence. We progress as a species through violence, as counter-intuitive as that may sound.

Sorry for sliding a bit off-topic there.

Well, you got half the problem nailed.

taxslave
I guess anyone owning a Cowichan sweater best burn it.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I guess anyone owning a Cowichan sweater best burn it.

Preferably while wearing it and whimpering about how mean everybody is to white guys.