Bella Bella Oil Spill Called ‘An Environmental Disaster’

mentalfloss
Enough with oil already.

Bella Bella Oil Spill Called ‘An Environmental Disaster’

BELLA BELLA, B.C. — A report says two tanks containing oil or contaminants from a submerged tug west of Bella Bella, off British Columbia’s central coast, were either torn open or severely damaged when the vessel ran aground.

Despite bad weather that has complicated salvage efforts, divers were able to check the bottom of the Nathan E. Stewart on Sunday, as it rests in nine metres of water in a channel about 500 kilometres north of Vancouver.

A joint situation report issued by the American tug owner and federal, provincial and First Nations groups says divers found the lube tank torn and pumped out nothing but water on Sunday from the severely damaged bilge tank.

When the tug ran aground on Oct. 13, the lube tank contained about 2,400 litres of oil. The bilge tank was believed to have held nearly 3,700 litres of water, oil, sludge and other engine-room and ship’s contaminants called dirty bilge.

Bella Bella Oil Spill Called 'An Environmental Disaster'

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
It's a mess. What a mess.

personal touch
Bloc Québécois
This is crazy ****

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Say, I have an idea; lets put a whole bunch of oil super tankers in there since the environment is completely screwed anyways.

Durry
+2
It's a minor oil slick.

Vancouver pumps tons and tons of human poop into the ocean and no one complains, by comparison this is a just a blip.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Say, I have an idea; lets put a whole bunch of oil super tankers in there since the environment is completely screwed anyways.

We should be selling off all of our tankers and banning them.

Durry
+1
We should be casterating all men to reduce overal energy demand over the next 20 yrs.

petros
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Great idea. We'll keep the regular tankers going as usual. How else will the Diesel Injuns get their fuel for fissing boats and power generation? Canoe?

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Let's all start by stoping our consumption of oil........... tomorrow morning you walk to work.

petros
Paddle a commercial fissing boat too?

bill barilko
Part of the problem is the local indigenous the Heiltsuk people-they're too nice.

Seriously I've been all over the coast and the Heiltsuk are the nicest most low key politest people you ever met if they threatened to burn someone @ the stake then they wouldn't have gotten jerked around so bad but it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease in this society.

petros
They sure are dramatic.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

Part of the problem is the local indigenous the Heiltsuk people-they're too nice.

Seriously I've been all over the coast and the Heiltsuk are the nicest most low key politest people you ever met if they threatened to burn someone @ the stake then they wouldn't have gotten jerked around so bad but it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease in this society.

I see they say no to northern gateway, and no to tanker traffic using this tug sinking as an example, but I also see they use diesel powered fishing vessels for their crabbing and drift net fishing. How do they get the diesel? What do they use to heat their homes? They cutting down the "Great Bear Forest" to heat their homes?

petros
They run on whale fat like the good old days.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

They run on whale fat like the good old days.

I thought killing whales was a no no also, or is it only a bad thing when non natives do it?

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

..... they use diesel powered fishing vessels for their....drift net fishing. ?

There are no 'drift nets' used in coastal BC-why are you So Ignorant?

Posting drunk again?

petros
+1
Seine nets. Gets the whole school. Even better.

gerryh

Posting drunk again?

So, just the Fraser river First Nations use drift nets? Sure looked like a drift net behind the boat in their video on their website.

petros
Yup. Others use seine and gill net. Git em all in one scoop.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Interesting that some people see everything in black and white: Against oil, then you are not allowed to use it even if there are no alternatives available because Big Oil has suppressed the technology. Can't imagine that perhaps there should be a transition away from destroying the planet and allowing alternative tech to move forward. Nope. Ya gotta shut up or go straight back to the stone age. Weird mindset that.

gerryh
either way, that boat sure as hell wasn't pedal powered.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

either way, that boat sure as hell wasn't pedal powered.

Nope. I think the Diesel Injuns' ancestors used a higher grade of aluminum on their half million $ boats though.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Seine nets. Gets the whole school. Even better.

You can always use dynamite.

mentalfloss
Why Trudeau and the oil industry are losing the pipeline battle - Macleans.ca

In 2013, Liberal leader Justin Trudeau assailed the Conservative government for having “failed to move the yardsticks” on pipelines—which he called “the most important infrastructure projects of our generation.” Getting oil to the coast would reduce the discount at which it is currently sold and remove supply bottlenecks. It would also reassure investors of the long-term viability of the oil and gas industry, Canada’s largest private sector investor.

Yet three years later those yardsticks have hardly budged, and may have inched backwards. National Energy Board hearings into Energy East have been postponed due to protest and board resignations. In B.C., a judge overturned the two-year-old approval for the Northern Gateway pipeline in B.C., pending proper Indigenous consultation. And while the cabinet may approve Trans Mountain by Christmas, it would be doing so as pushback grows. Indigenous bands and environmental groups have promised fresh opposition on both sides of the country. Practically and politically, building pipelines is incredibly hard. It may have become impossible.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

Posting drunk again?

Gill nets are drift nets Bill . Just put a scotchman on both ends .

mentalfloss
Scotsman.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Scotsman.

Was I talking about a person ?

mentalfloss
Are you trying to rationalise incorrect spelling?

MHz
There must be a PC correct version of that name and not only because the men like to put on skirts although that is a pretty big clue.

BTW how many new jobs did that create??

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Are you trying to rationalise incorrect spelling?

How about incorrect understanding. Might as well go for the gold ring.

mentalfloss
The real price of oil

BELLA BELLA DESERVES COMPENSATION FROM OTTAWA: CULLEN