'I hate white people' attack ruled not a hate crime


spaminator
+1
#1
'I hate white people' attack ruled not a hate crime
By Kevin Martin , Calgary Sun
First posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 06:29 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 07:58 PM EDT
Despite yelling “I hate white people” while knocking a Caucasian woman’s tooth out, a Calgary aboriginal woman did not commit a hate crime, a judge has ruled.



Provincial court Judge Harry Van Harten, in a written decision, said Tamara Crowchief’s motivation for striking Lydia White was not related to racial bias.

Crown prosecutor Karuna Ramakrishnan, who had sought a sentence of 12 to 15 months, argued Crowchief’s unprovoked attack last Nov. 1, amounted to a hate crime.

But Van Harten agreed with defence counsel Adriano Iovinelli that there was insufficient evidence to establish Crowchief attacked White because of the colour of her skin.

Van Harten said unlike offenders in several cases cited by Ramakrishnan, there was no suggestion Crowchief was associated with any group that promoted hatred towards a specific race.

“The offender said ‘I hate white people’ and threw a punch,” Van Harten said in his ruling.

“There is no evidence either way about what the offender meant or whether ... she holds or promotes an ideology which would explain why this assault was aimed at this victim,” he said.

“I am not satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that this offence was, even in part, motivated by racial bias.”

White was outside Jaimieson’s pub on 17 Ave. S.W., with a friend when an acquaintance of Crowchief’s approached and asked for, and was given, a cigarette.

As White and her male friend spoke to that woman, Crowchief approached and, without warning yelled “I hate white people” and punched her in the face, knocking out a tooth.

Crowchief and the woman then walked away, but White and her friend followed and called police, who arrived a short time later and arrested the offender.

During her arrest Crowchief told police “the white man was out to get her.”

In her victim impact statement, White said she still doesn’t comprehend what motivated her assailant.

“I still get angry when I think about it,” she said.

“I don’t understand why this woman did this.

“I never did anything to her. Never even spoke to her.”

Van Harten agreed with Iovinelli the more than six months Crowchief had spent behind bars, which he equated to a 9 1/2-month sentence, was sufficient jail time for Crowchief.

He placed the city woman on 12 months probation and ordered her to get psychological and psychiatric counselling as well as counselling for substance abuse.

She must also abstain from consuming intoxicating substances and is prohibited from going to any business whose principal sale is alcohol.

KMartin@postmedia.com

On Twitter: @KMartinCourts
'I hate white people' attack ruled not a hate crime | Canada | News | Toronto Su
 
Angstrom
#2
White people deserved it. Our feminist culture says so.
 
B00Mer
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

White people deserved it. Our feminist culture says so.

...are you a feminist?
 
mentalfloss
+1
#4
She was referring to the family name.
 
Danbones
#5
Right it wasn't a hate crime because it wasn't caused by the color of her skin...
as if thats the only thing a body can hate?
lol

Quote:

"there was no suggestion Crowchief was associated with any group that promoted hatred towards a specific race.

again right....
a law designed in reality to protect ONE hateful thing only
 
Serryah
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
... yeahhhhno. IMO this was a hate crime (despite what the judge said). Situation reversed it'd be a hate crime so yes.

Double standards don't help the situation any.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#7
Depends on how the law's written and the evidentiary standards that have been promulgated to interpret it.
 
Serryah
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Depends on how the law's written and the evidentiary standards that have been promulgated to interpret it.

True but I can't help but think had the person been white and hit anyone of color/race stating they hate that race, there would be screams of racism and so on. IMO if that's the case, then it works both ways; or it should.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

True but I can't help but think had the person been white and hit anyone of color/race stating they hate that race, there would be screams of racism and so on. IMO if that's the case, then it works both ways; or it should.

Well, y'all feel free to scream about how white people are so badly abused in Canadian society.
 
Danbones
#10
white is the new black
 
Cliffy
#11
OMG! First it was the Christians and now the whites are being persecuted. Nobody see the connection to history. It's kinda like Charles Manson whining about being persecuted cuz he's in jail.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

OMG! First it was the Christians and now the whites are being persecuted. Nobody see the connection to history. It's kinda like Charles Manson whining about being persecuted cuz he's in jail.

Charlie's just misunderstood.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#13
Love the sound of hypocrisy in the morning.
 
Cliffy
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Love the sound of hypocrisy in the morning.

Everybody is a hypocrite to somebody. Same goes for azzholes.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Love the sound of hypocrisy in the morning.

Then the mirror serves you well.
 
Jinentonix
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

OMG! First it was the Christians and now the whites are being persecuted. Nobody see the connection to history. It's kinda like Charles Manson whining about being persecuted cuz he's in jail.

Awww lookit Cliffy, justifying racial violence. By the way, your knowledge of actual history could fit into a thimble.
As for your idiotic Manson comparison, are you suggesting that White people today are responsible for what happened before they were born? Because if that's that case, then every Muslim alive today is responsible for the invasion of Europe in the 5th Century and all the violence that has come after as a result.
 
Cliffy
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Awww lookit Cliffy, justifying racial violence. By the way, your knowledge of actual history could fit into a thimble.
As for your idiotic Manson comparison, are you suggesting that White people today are responsible for what happened before they were born? Because if that's that case, then every Muslim alive today is responsible for the invasion of Europe in the 5th Century and all the violence that has come after as a result.

Have you had your coffee yet today? How you saw that as justification of racial violence speaks more to your lack of understanding what was written. White Christians today are approving and supporting the mass murder of brown people all over the world through the so called War on Terror. White people are complicit in the persecution and oppression of the indigenous peoples of their own countries. Forget the history of oppression and genocide of the past if you wish, but it is still going on in your name by your governments with your approval. So, good morning to you. May you have a wonderful day whining about your persecution.
 
pgs
+3
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Have you had your coffee yet today? How you saw that as justification of racial violence speaks more to your lack of understanding what was written. White Christians today are approving and supporting the mass murder of brown people all over the world through the so called War on Terror. White people are complicit in the persecution and oppression of the indigenous peoples of their own countries. Forget the history of oppression and genocide of the past if you wish, but it is still going on in your name by your governments with your approval. So, good morning to you. May you have a wonderful day whining about your persecution.

Look in the mirror and notice that white face staring back at you . Now remember only you are responsible for all that is wrong with this world .
Only you Cliffy .
 
lone wolf
#19
Johnny or Edgar?
 
HarperCons
#20
lol @ white people acting as oppressed victims.

disgusting.

you douchebags skipped over civil rights in history class?
 
Johnnny
+3
#21
If she was targeted based on her skin colour then it technically is a hate crime. It's true that if the positions were reversed there would be a huge cbcnews.ca article about it and what not.

It's the new trend of practicing partiality to gain equality.

From the sounds of it the attacker sounds like a f@cking dead beat lol
 
taxslave
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by HarperCons View Post

lol @ white people acting as oppressed victims.

disgusting.

you douchebags skipped over civil rights in history class?

WHite people have civil rights too. Except in communist countries where only the elite have rights.
 
DaSleeper
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Look in the mirror and notice that white face staring back at you . Now remember only you are responsible for all that is wrong with this world .
Only you Cliffy .


Just lovely to see all those white folks self flagellating today in this forum......what they go through to be P.C.
 
B00Mer
#24
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVm9Q9vpXac

WHITE GUILT?
 
DaSleeper
#25
Perception is everything......
 
Ludlow
#26
White ain't right
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#27
She shouldn't be charged with a hate crime. Nobody should be charged with a hate crime. If you beat someone up, you should be charged with assault. The assault is the crime. Whether you swore or said a horrible thing during the assault is just plain stupid and leads to nonsense like this.
 
Angstrom
#28
i really don't give a **** what other races hate me for. That its bombing them, Or fu€King them up the a$$. They can all call me racist. I'm cool with it.

Just remember I'll be coming for you with a drone one of these days
 
darkbeaver
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

i really don't give a **** what other races hate me for. That its bombing them, Or fu€King them up the a$$. They can all call me racist. I'm cool with it.

Just remember I'll be coming for you with a drone one of these days

I don't know what race you are. You seem human to me. Drones, bees, you should get more honey in your diet. How many kids do you have now?