Massachusetts Town bans fishing from public piers

Locutus
Government bans are becoming increasingly common, but this may be the worst one yet.

Officials in Marblehead, Mass., earlier this month decided that the town’s docks had become overcrowded with fishers — so the board voted to ban all fishing from public piers.

Naturally, a few Bay Staters are upset with the decision.

“I say no way, let us fish,” one teen told CBS Boston. “Why not let us fish down here?”

Harbormaster Webb Russell explains that the docks were being crowded by people from outside of Marblehead. In fact, according to the CBS Boston report, many of the people in the above photos are from the Cambodian community.

“It was a little bit out of control,” Russell said. “The volume of people fishing down the gangway here, side-by-side.”

But, again, some Marblehead residents are unhappy with the decision.

more

Massachusetts Town Enacts Ban on What?! | Video | TheBlaze.com

taxslave
This is happening all over. There is a push by certain rich retirees in Oceanside to ban shellfish harvesting in front of their waterfront homes. They claim possibly with some justification that groups of asians are coming up here from the south island area and desimating the beaches. The clam cops are either unable or unwilling to enforce the rules.

#juan
There is a fishing wharf in Nanaimo. It was great when it first opened but now there are just too many people. Some have fishing rods, some have crab traps and who wants to fish shoulder to shoulder in a crowd? I'm lucky enough to have the use of a boat if I want to fish. You can still catch salmon just off Departure Bay. Cambell River is not that far away if you want some serious fishing.

skookumchuck
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

There is a fishing wharf in Nanaimo. It was great when it first opened but now there are just too many people. Some have fishing rods, some have crab traps and who wants to fish shoulder to shoulder in a crowd? I'm lucky enough to have the use of a boat if I want to fish. You can still catch salmon just off Departure Bay. Cambell River is not that far away if you want some serious fishing.

You do not know much about the fishing if you consider Campbell River the best. btw, ever been on the pier at Campbell River? Busier than Nanaimo.

petros
What's next? Fishing derbies will be banned? My resort community hosts an ice fishing derby every winter. With 200 entrants at $50 a pop, it makes enough moolah to keep our beaches and facilities open to the public. Without it, we'd have to go private.

lone wolf
Sturgeon Falls Ontario already has a ban on fishing from the Government docks ever since they bowed to KOA

WLDB
Weird. Though I also find it odd that people fish out of the Rideau Canal and keep the fish. Even if I ate fish I wouldnt eat anything that came out of there.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

You do not know much about the fishing if you consider Campbell River the best. btw, ever been on the pier at Campbell River? Busier than Nanaimo.

Skookumchuck what are you talking about? I didn't say Cambell River was the best, but in that area, I've had the best luck. Two years ago I caught a 28 pound Spring just outside Cambell River, which is the biggest Salmon I've ever caught and I rarely get skunked at Cambell River.