Hangs up on cold Boot.....


petros
#31
Well, there is fvck all I can do about your ignorance and stubborness other than offer well founded advice. If you don't want it just fvcking say so but when reality sinks in and you find out it's caps, you know where to find me you fvcking azzhole.
 
DaSleeper
#32
 
JamesBondo
+1
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's the caps.



Operational Signs

If your computer is acting up but has not yet failed you, symptoms of a faulty capacitor include:

  • Difficulty turning on your computer, frequently having to hit reset or restart
  • Instabilities (hangs, seeing the “Blue Screen of Death,” etc.), especially when the symptoms get progressively more frequent over time
  • Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
  • Spontaneous reboots
  • In case of on-board video cards, unstable image in some video modes
  • Failing to complete the POST (Power-On Self-Test) or rebooting before completion
  • Never starting the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead
  • Power system malfunctions, fluctuations in system voltage, possibly with an increase in CPU temperature as the core voltage rises
  • In the case of Dell Optiplex GX270s, often a “Thermal Event” is brandished in white on a very dark computer display when rebooting.
http://www.pctools.com/security-news...apacitor-test/

the link that you provide was a 2010 article about caps produced in 2004.

If you read this link Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you will read that the 'cap plague' was believed to come to end in 2010.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Most failed caps, not all failed caps, can be identified with a visual inspection.

You will find bulges, and leaky, crusty crap on electrolytic caps.

And on surface mount 'tants' you will find them charred from heat, maybe even a bubble in the plastic, or the white paint which indicates polarity might be burned, missing, or discolored.

If you like taking apart your laptop and feel confident in doing so, then what the hell, why don't you give it a good dusting, and then give it a visual inspection?

IMO,if you don't find a visually defective cap, then your most practical next step is to consider all the caps as good. Why? because it is too much PITA to go around checking every good cap.
 
DaSleeper
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

the link that you provide was a 2010 article about caps produced in 2004.

If you read this link Capacitor plague - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you will read that the 'cap plague' was believed to come to end in 2010.



Most failed caps, not all failed caps, can be identified with a visual inspection.

Already did that days ago and all all capacitors looked fine
Quote:

You will find bulges, and leaky, crusty crap on electrolytic caps.

And on surface mount 'tants' you will find them charred from heat, maybe even a bubble in the plastic, or the white paint which indicates polarity might be burned, missing, or discolored.

They all looked fine three days ago
Quote:

If you like taking apart your laptop and feel confident in doing so, then what the hell, why don't you give it a good dusting, and then give it a visual inspection?

Oddly enough, I was pretty clean, maybe because I use the vacuum brush and the air can regularly,

Quote:

IMO,if you don't find a visually defective cap, then your most practical next step is to consider all the caps as good. Why? because it is too much PITA to go around checking every good cap.

All the times I have seen capacitors fail, it was on power supplies and when they go there the only thing that usually came on was the power light..lol
Like I said before it hangs up on the bios screen (F2) for a while and it eventually starts up but on a restart it's normal, you have to be ready if you plan to hit the f2 key
That's why I'm thinking of the battery, It's there to keep the board "Hot", so I'm reasoning that it takes a while to to charge everything up on a cold start, but a restart everything is still charged up.
One other thing Even though I ran a factory application to test the hard drive.....just in case it was slow at starting to spin on a cold start (on a restart, it never really stops), Because it is unusually quiet, I used a stethoscope on a cold start, and it goes to full speed within seconds with no funny noises.
If I eventually have to scrap this box, I'm keeping that drive and buying an external box for it like someone suggested.
My last notebook that went it was the drive.....getting noisy, then web pages freezing....
If I wanted something to putter with this winter........when the forum gets boring........I got it

A little story about capacitors...
About 45 years ago when I started to work in the paper mill.......When the paper is a bit too dry the reels of paper charge up with static from the friction as they turn.....well the electricians working on a DC motor (that's what they used back then on paper machines for speed control)
They had left a big ole capacitor lying on the floor, so instead of throwing in the garbage since cleaning up was my job when I started work, I grabbed one lead and slowly dragged the other along the reel of paper, then I would put it on the lunch table and watch for someone to pick it up and eventually touch both leads at the same time.
That little stunt went around three shifts before every one got wise...
 
JamesBondo
+1
#35
Do you have a volt meter? You could measure the voltage of the battery to get a loose sense of whether it is dead.

Just take it off the board, and compare it to the chart in this link.

2032 discharge curve - Google Search

as you can see, a battery stays pretty strong for hundreds of hours, then eventually its voltage reaches an 'elbow' where the battery will experience failure quite quickly.

For example, in applications like memory backup, the battery will last thousands of hours, then somewhere around 2.6-2.7 volts, it will die with less than an additional 1000 hours.

IMO, a battery that is between 3.2V and 2.8V is good. If it is 2.8-2.6 I would replace it rather than wait for it to fail. If the battery is 2.6-0V then it is already dead which leads me back to a comment that you made...

Yes, I agree that it is possible that a dead battery might cause a delayed start up. I am not sure that it has anything to do with a 'charging' period. Hoever, a dead battery also means no saved bios data. The hanging on the bios screen might actually be the computer having to do additional checks due to the absense of saved bios data.
 
DaSleeper
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

Do you have a volt meter? You could measure the voltage of the battery to get a loose sense of whether it is dead.

Just take it off the board, and compare it to the chart in this link.

2032 discharge curve - Google Search

as you can see, a battery stays pretty strong for hundreds of hours, then eventually its voltage reaches an 'elbow' where the battery will experience failure quite quickly.

For example, in applications like memory backup, the battery will last thousands of hours, then somewhere around 2.6-2.7 volts, it will die with less than an additional 1000 hours.

IMO, a battery that is between 3.2V and 2.8V is good. If it is 2.8-2.6 I would replace it rather than wait for it to fail. If the battery is 2.6-0V then it is already dead which leads me back to a comment that you made...

Yes, I agree that it is possible that a dead battery might cause a delayed start up. I am not sure that it has anything to do with a 'charging' period. Hoever, a dead battery also means no saved bios data. The hanging on the bios screen might actually be the computer having to do additional checks due to the absense of saved bios data.

I did another few tests earlier this afternoon, I unpluged the ac power, removed the battery then did a "hard reset" (held the power button for 30 seconds to a minute)
I then put everything back together again and booted her up, What surprised me was , that this one time only it didn't hang up, It started up normaly, but the clock was dead on, meaning that the cmos battery is good
I tried to repeat that good start....but no go.
So I went back inside and had another look at the mother board but with a lighted magnifying glass. And I seem to see a hairline crack in it and no discoloration of any of the componenents.
Tomorrow I'l go to the few repair shops around town and leave the model number of my laptop with them, should they scrap one that has something else wrong with it, so I can swap motherboards......hopefully befor this one give out.
One strange thing that I have noticed in the last few weeks...once in a while when I'm not doing anything, everything is Idle, I willhear the same beep coming out of the speakers as when you unplug something from the usb port????????
 
Angstrom
+2
#37
My wife's got the same notebook. It had a battery problem. I read its common in that model & brand.So I bought a cheap Battery from Hong Kong hoping it would solve the problem over on Aliexpress.com. Took 2 months to get but her notebook works fine now.

Here is where i bought it.

Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is [Special Price]New laptop battery for Acer Aspire One A110 A150 ZG5, UM08A31 UM08A71 UM08A72 UM08A73 UM08B74 ,3 cells
Last edited by Angstrom; Feb 4th, 2013 at 07:39 PM..
 
DaSleeper
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

My wife's got the same notebook. It had a battery problem. I read its common in that brand. I bought a cheap one from Hong Kong over on Ali express.com. Took 2 months to get but her notebook works fine now.

Here is where i bought it.

Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is [Special Price]New laptop battery for Acer Aspire One A110 A150 ZG5, UM08A31 UM08A71 UM08A72 UM08A73 UM08B74 ,3 cells

I was refering to the cmos battery....another thing altogether...but thanks.
 
Angstrom
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I was refering to the cmos battery....another thing altogether...but thanks.

Her notebook was dead on boot similar to yours, So..... I thought it could be the same problem.
Hope you can get that fixed. sounds more complicated then my situation maybe. GL
 
DaSleeper
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Her notebook was dead on boot similar to yours.... So I thought it could be the same problem.
Hope you can get that fixed. sounds more complicated then my situation.

You can run a notebook with the ac adapter only...the main battery is only for when you don't have a plug in available like at a coffee shop.
 
Angstrom
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

You can run a notebook with the ac adapter only...the main battery is only for when you don't have a plug in available like at a coffee shop.

Ya but it still was not working plugged into the AC & still that battery was the problem. Now with the new one its working fine.

Its a common problem in that notebook. kinda weird I know./shrug
My notebook was 3 years old too. lol
 
DaSleeper
#42
I finally found a work around that notebook that hangs up for at least a minute on the bios screen...
This morning I figured that since pressing F2 would get me into the bios set-up, maybe another f key or two might kick start it...

Well, I got lucky on first try.....When that screen appeared I pressed F9 then F10 and windows just started...
and tries with other keys later didn't work .....just those two.
Can't figure out why....? ? ? ?
 
skookumchuck
#43
OS's get old and need to be rebuilt or trashed depending on your attitude and wallet. Some will outlast others by far and nobody knows why.
 
DaSleeper
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

OS's get old and need to be rebuilt or trashed depending on your attitude and wallet. Some will outlast others by far and nobody knows why.

What I meant was.... what do those two keys do ....? that kicks off something that should happen normally...
 
gopher
#45
I bought a Toshiba Satellite 850 series laptop and it turned out to be a POS. Had to send it back (at my expense) and hope it will work when it is returned. Do yourself a favor and NEVER buy such worthless crap.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#46
Acer is a throwaway brand Das. Actually most low priced laptops don't have much in the way of Longevity. I've gone through three lappys in the past decade.
 
DaSleeper
#47
Five months of one minute hang ups. By the time my coffee is ready in the morning so is the Notebook....I've become used to it by now
I have a usb stick ready with a small program to "Flash" the bios should it start hanging up longer, or I'm in the mood to buy a new one, but like a computer tech told me, it's a fix it or scrap it thing.
Right now, I'm still able to surf, edit my videos, upload one, once in a while to youtube at night.
 
DaSleeper
#48
Addendum: To the poster (anonymous....of course) who advised me that my acer was toast......
Guess what...... 6 Months and still going......And you wonder why I won't dance with you
After working for 40 years with over 100 men in a crew you soon learn to recognize bullshyte......
 
Locutus
#49
To paraphrase what eh1eh says, 'he loves the internet, people are so knowledgeable'.
 
DaSleeper
#50
Update........
I waited a week to post this, just to make sure it was constant, and not just a couple of flukes..

I had been out of town for a couple of weeks and when I came back, I can't vouch for the first start-up.....wasn't paying attention....but every start-up after that has been "normal" no hang-ups on the bios screen.
I had to do updates on "Windows" and "AVG" and both required restarts.
My best guess is that one of them updated the bios, although I went back and checked the data for the Microsoft updates that day but didn't find a thing,

Those pesky "Caps" must have renewed themselves......
 
skookumchuck
#51
You never know when a tiny piece of crud will disturb the transmission of power, i have seen it in a few other ways. Good on ya bud!
 
DaSleeper
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

You never know when a tiny piece of crud will disturb the transmission of power, i have seen it in a few other ways. Good on ya bud!

Somehow, I figure that it was a simple command line in the bios that the AVG update fixed (accidentally or on purpose) because this update was a major programing update and not just a virus definition update, and required a reboot.

Shyte......There goes my excuse to the wife to buy myself a new Notebook lol!

Especially after buying two tablets.....one for her and one for me
 
DaSleeper
#53


Yes I should......I post this in the hope that it might save someone a lot of problems, and even Petros can't find names for me that I haven't called myself..............On second thought maybe he will
I had to load some new books on the micro sd card of my e reader earlier this morning, so when I go to put the card in the adapter on my notebook, I realised that when I had loaded some books for my wife on her e reader, I had used mine on her PC, because she had misplaced hers.
As I was loading the book on the micro sd, That is when the light came on....
To make a long story short...
When I was finished, it took me fifteen minutes, but I found my wife's micro sd adapter, put it in the slot, and booted up my notebook...
It started normally...
I shut it down, then put in my SD adapter, the one that I have been using since the beginning of the year and been leaving in the slot until last week when I used it on my wife's PC.

It hung on the bios start-up screen for a minute or so which it never did with the other adapter I had before.
I repeated the test with and without the card three or four times with the same results
An adapter should read the same as an empty slot.....

For those who don't know, most PC's when they boot up will check the cd drive and the usb drive (which the card reader is a part of) for instructions eg. a boot-up disk if you have problems with your PC
This takes only a second, then it continues to windows start-up procedure.

Any comments from dingbat to dummy.......I fully deserve........
Last edited by DaSleeper; Oct 17th, 2013 at 08:47 AM..
 
skookumchuck
+1
#54
There are thousands of incidents with PCs that will be missed by the best and worst soft and hardware surgeons.
 
petros
+1
#55
Quote:

Yes I should......I post this in the hope that it might save someone a lot of problems, and even Petros can't find names for me that I haven't called myself..............On second thought maybe he will

Why would I do that?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Why would I do that?

That's very gentlemanly of you!
You should have seen the look my wife gave me at the string of names I gave myself this morning....
I don't know why women find it surprising when a guy owns up to his mistakes right away
 
petros
+2
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I don't know why women find it surprising when a guy owns up to his mistakes right away

Because women don't?
 
SLM
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Because women don't?

That's because we're never wrong. Duh! Where have you been?
 

Similar Threads

2
Iran hangs 3 for rape
by Locutus | Sep 27th, 2007
0
Argies put the boot in.
by Blackleaf | Jun 17th, 2006