Canadian Gas Prices Spike and Experts Warn They Will Go Higher

EagleSmack
+1
Elections have consequences!

Gasoline prices rise as Ontario's cap-and-trade takes effect - Toronto - CBC News

Ludlow
Good they can walk

EagleSmack
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
That is the plan the liberals have for the peasants.

MHz
+1
Batteries rather than gasoline type products.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Batteries rather than gasoline type products.

Such as?

DaSleeper

damngrumpy
+1
Gas prices were going up anyway, the opec crowd are finished their temper tantrum
higher prices are a good thing in Canada as we export a lot of oil and the increase will
bring jobs back. I just wish we refined most of it and charged the rest of the world
what it is worth as a finished product

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

You'll need them!

Mokkajava
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

That is the plan the liberals have for the peasants.

Yes... because we are all entitled to drive gas guzzling planet destroying machines two blocks to the store for milk...and at the price we want to pay for gas

Also... I enjoy walking and cycling to my destinations... no need for you to look down your nose at me from your 4x4 truck and label me as a peasant for it.

MHz
+1

Such as?

Milk run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdM5yCBy0jY

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Mokkajava View Post

Also... I enjoy walking and cycling to my destinations... no need for you to look down your nose at me from your 4x4 truck and label me as a peasant for it.

You're a good peasant.

Milk run.

You need batteries for That

Yes... because we are all entitled to drive gas guzzling planet destroying machines two blocks to the store for milk...and at the price we want to pay for gas

Choice man!

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

Gas prices were going up anyway, the opec crowd are finished their temper tantrum
higher prices are a good thing in Canada

Because you can't drive anymore?

bobnoorduyn
+1

You must live in a cozy city, not everyone does, its a big country out there, go discover it. As for your enjoyment of walking I challenge you to walk from my house to my place of employment, even at a maintained good clip it'll take you a good 12 hours.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

You must live in a cozy city, not everyone does, its a big country out there, go discover it. As for your enjoyment of walking I challenge you to walk from my house to my place of employment, even at a maintained good clip it'll take you a good 12 hours.

Most importantly, the natural resources aren't in a garage in downtown Toronto. If you want to create wealth in this country it's best and easiest to support the nether regions. Make it easier for people to live in the rural areas...or at the very least, don't screw them over.

taxslave

Such as?

Vibrators.

Ludlow
Prices are pretty decent in Northern Nevada. About two bucks a gallon.

taxslave
+1

Fine for you city slickers. Where we live there is no public transit and even if there was it would not get me to work from where I live. Or to a doctor for that matter.

Murphy
+2

You have to be a citidiot.

Myself and others could care less if you enjoy walking and cycling. What you enjoy has nothing to do with spiking gas prices.

Perhaps my milk should double in price and all the city mommies can walk their GD kids through snow banks - which are cleared by gas guzzling planet destroying machines. You and your latte drinking friends will be screaming that the sidewalk isn't cleared either. Or the roads that delivery vehicles use to bring your GD lattes. And the school buses.

And the fire trucks, ambulances, police vehicles, food bearing transport trucks, utility vehicles for the water, sewer, hydro and phones. And the subway equipment, plumbing and electrical repairs...so you plug in your latte machine and have your friends over to talk about how you're going to save the GD planet!

You know what? I WILL look down at you precisely because you're a peasant. A selfish, think your sh!t doesn't stink peasant.

Francais au verso.

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Fine for you city slickers. Where we live there is no public transit and even if there was it would not get me to work from where I live. Or to a doctor for that matter.

None here either. Ten miles from the doctor and my daughter just dislocated her kneecap. I'm going to see if I can rig up something for the gas pedal on my car. I can use cruise control on the highway. If I was back in Phoenix I'd call a cab.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

Since when do city dwellers care about anything beyond the last Starbucks?

That's why they stare into space dumbfounded when their Democrat pols get flushed from government.

MHz
+1
The best way to experience new places is to break down in one. The best clip followed by the whole movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UDJPaN50EE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yDjj2eYQM8

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

higher prices are a good thing in Canada as we export a lot of oil and the increase will
bring jobs back. I just wish we refined most of it and charged the rest of the world
what it is worth as a finished product

Why hasn't our dollar risen along with tantrum ending oil prices?

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So why not a carbon tax that applies to urban municipalities only? It would promote more efficient use of urban transportation infrastructure.

Now of course if this tax should apply only to cities, then that money should also be reinvested into cities. Maybe one solution would be to allow municipal governments to introduce a carbon tax instead of federal or provincial ones. urban needs aren't the same as rural ones.

We deal with traffic, congestion, pollution, etc.

petros
Look into the GVRD gas tax and show me the benefits.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Look into the GVRD gas tax and show me the benefits.

Are you a city-dweller?

petros
Yes. The GVRD. Now tell me how the GVRD gas tax benefits me.

Machjo
Well, what tax would you propose? Income tax? general value-added tax? Something else? How do they benefit you? Unless you're an anarchist, then you must support some source of government revenue? What source do you propose?

Hong Kong has a 100% carbon tax, and people seem to be okay with it. Where's the problem?

petros
I asked YOU a question, please show me the benefits of the city adding a gas tax.

Machjo
It encourages more efficient use of the city's infrastructure and reduces pollution and traffic. You tell me, what is the long-term benefit of eliminating all sources of government revenue? Because that is what you seem to be proposing.

I'd like to see a reduction in income taxes and general value-added taxes myself. Though I don't oppose a general wealth tax, I wouldn't mind seeing taxes specifically on property declining too. But I do not support anarchy myself and recognize that government must access revenue of some kind.

A carbon tax is more user-pay.

MHz
It works in tandem with the traffic lights slowing down traffic by making the reds longer and time them so you never get through more than two lights at a time.

Machjo

It works in tandem with the traffic lights slowing down traffic by making the reds longer and time them so you never get through more than two lights at a time.

In urban areas, more one-way roads and roundabouts could help combat congestion too.