spaminator
German town to keep Protestant church bell honouring Hitler
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
February 27, 2018
Updated:
February 27, 2018 12:14 PM EST
The town council of Herxheim am Berg, Germany, has voted to keep a church bell, with a swastika and a German inscription that translates as "Everything for the fatherland Adolf Hitler," ringing. (FILE PHOTO/OUTUWE ANSPACH/AFP/Getty Images)
BERLIN — A small town in southwestern Germany has decided to keep a church bell dedicated to Adolf Hitler ringing, but as a memorial to spark dialogue about violence and injustice.
The dpa news agency reported Tuesday the Herxheim am Berg council voted 10-3 to preserve the bell, which carries the inscription “Everything for the Fatherland – Adolf Hitler” above a Nazi swastika, as a memorial in its Protestant church.
Erykah Badu claims Hitler comments were ‘misconstrued’
Hitler’s chef feared she had ‘one foot in the grave’
Hitler-Auschwitz display removed from Indonesia wax museum after protests
Hitler, Nazis within a hair of having nukes
Hitler’s mom was the ‘only the person he genuinely loved’
State church authorities had offered to fund replacing the bell, which were widespread during the Nazi era but mostly removed after the war.
But a study had concluded removing it would be akin to “fleeing from an appropriate culture of remembrance” and recommended either leaving it in place with an explanatory plaque, or putting it in a museum.
German town to keep Protestant church bell honouring Hitler | Toronto Sun

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Tecumsehsbones
+1 / -1
Good. I've had enough of this tarring and attempting to erase our great leaders of the past.

taxslave
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
Whether they were great or evil is irrelevent. It is history and should not be altered to suit modern dogma.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Whether they were great or evil is irrelevent. It is history and should not be altered to suit modern dogma.

But it's OK to alter it when it happens, right? The genocide and land-grab was "Manifest Destiny." The Civil War was about freeing the slaves. WWI was fought to end war and guarantee small countries self-determination. WWII was to save the Jews.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

But it's OK to alter it when it happens, right? The genocide and land-grab was "Manifest Destiny." The Civil War was about freeing the slaves. WWI was fought to end war and guarantee small countries self-determination. WWII was to save the Jews.

This constantly re-written history makes me glad that I will not live for hundreds of years.

Je me souviens.

It is a problem.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

This constantly re-written history makes me glad that I will not live for hundreds of years.

Je me souviens.

It is a problem.

Why? They've been re-writing history at least since the Roman Empire suddenly decided a petty rabble-rouser in one of the outer provinces executed for sedition and inciting to riot four centuries earlier was the Son of Gawd.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Why? They've been re-writing history at least since the Roman Empire suddenly decided a petty rabble-rouser in one of the outer provinces executed for sedition and inciting to riot four centuries earlier was the Son of Gawd.

Yes. Tacitus was a propagandist ... all that talk of Britoni savages and all.