How will the media try and take down Andrew Scheer?

Corduroy
+5
#31  Top Rated Post
Calling him Harper lite is praise. Stephen Harper was a democratically successful PM and he made his party strong and viable. The last time a conservative party controlled the government it ended in them being wiped out. The subsequent Liberal government also ended in the party being wiped. Harper left the Conservative party as a strong opposition party. He broke the cycle.

Why did the Conservatives lose in 2015? Harper was unpopular but not grossly unpopular. The polls shifted from a strong NDP lead to a strong Liberal lead. People wanted change. If Scheer is "Harper lite" that's might be exactly what people want. "Harper lite" could have won in the election in 2015.

CBC called him Harper lite? They must be in the bag for Scheer.

petros
CBC even called him "Smiling Harper". Guess what? He smiled.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
Miller Lite Time!!!!!

Murphy
Conservative
The media is feeling him out like they do with all politicians. Find his interests, aggravations, hobbies, etc.

Over the coming weeks we will likely be bombarded with reports about him.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

The media is feeling him out like they do with all politicians. Find his interests, aggravations, hobbies, etc.

Over the coming weeks we will likely be bombarded with reports about him.

Not much to know. Just a family man that got in the game young.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Well that obviously explains your problem , eh Cliffy ?

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

What the cons don't get is that the last election moved Canada farther to the left. Most Canadians want progressive social policies, not the same old BS about "lower taxes and balancing the budget" a catch phrase that usually means bigger tax breaks for the wealthy and erosion of social services. In addition, Scheer got a lot of support from the Conservative Party equivalent of the GOP, you know, the anti-abortion homophobic, anti-immigration crowd. Those policies are not only divisive, but most Canadians are hostile to them. Good luck to any Harper clone who tries to push them.

Yes most Canadians want tax freedom day to be around December 25th .

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
What's with this Harper Lite? This is Canada!

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

He's a nice man, so it will have to be his policies. They already started on CBC by calling him Harper lite to his face.

He handled it well. Brushed it off.

He's called himself Harper with a smile, and in his victory speech he clearly identified himself as a Harper loyalist. Harper lite was really his invention, not the CBC's. I'm pretty sure he'll be the next PM, but probably not until 2023.

I must agree with you on a couple of points. Low taxes area always a bit deceiving in that it usually means the average citizen simply has to pay for more services out of pocket. A good example in a country like the UK which has higher taxes but a health care system that blows Canada's out of the water.

I've been watching and listening to governments for over 40 years. I also have all my income tax returns back to when I first started having to fill them out. No government has ever significantly lowered my tax bill. There have been some minor reductions, on the order of a few $hundred a year at most, just a pittance in the big picture. Any politicians who promise significant tax reductions are either lying or don't understand what they're talking about.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

He's called himself Harper with a smile, and in his victory speech he clearly identified himself as a Harper loyalist. Harper lite was really his invention, not the CBC's. I'm pretty sure he'll be the next PM, but probably not until 2023.

2023? We'll be a "dead" civilization by then- sort of like what Rome morphed into about 500 A.D.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+1
Yeah, just what we need, religious domination of secular affairs, ruled by superstition and ignorance, a new Middle Ages. I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you may not be.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Yeah, just what we need, religious domination of secular affairs, ruled by superstition and ignorance, a new Middle Ages. I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you may not be.

Those religious folks just have more babies than us athiest folk, especially since we mostly only seem to accept the religious conservatives from other countries to come here.

An example being that after as the trend of one faith is closing places of worship anothet faith is setting mew places of worship.
Last edited by Johnnny; May 30th, 2017 at 01:58 AM..

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
The media will try to take him down by linking him to rebel media

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Maybe the same way the Assholes are trying to take down the Donald!

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+4 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Maybe the same way the Assholes are trying to take down the Donald!

The Donald is taking down the Donald.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Just in Simpleton's wishful minds! Does Donald seem contrite?

Musky

Nah, he has the greatest crowds and the greatest poll numbers in the history of mankind.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

BC has a carbon tax, 7% PST, hydro electricity but you still have to pay $75 a month for health insurance.

BTW Canadian health care is Provincial, UK is Federal.

So what? The post was abut taxes not jurisdictions.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Musky View Post

Nah, he has the greatest crowds and the greatest poll numbers in the history of mankind.

They're HUUGE!

Musky

They're HUUGE!

Of course they are. Trump never lies.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2 / -2

This guy must be a real a$$hole cuz Wally likes him.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

Oops - might have hit the neg button instead of the pos button. Forgive my geriatric fingers.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1

Oops - might have hit the neg button instead of the pos button. Forgive my geriatric fingers.

Na, the neg was from Wally.

Walter
The left never gives up.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...service=mobile

petros

Injuns like him. Sucks huh?

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The left never gives up.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...service=mobile

Maxime is a leftie?

White_Unifier
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Calling him Harper lite is praise. Stephen Harper was a democratically successful PM and he made his party strong and viable. The last time a conservative party controlled the government it ended in them being wiped out. The subsequent Liberal government also ended in the party being wiped. Harper left the Conservative party as a strong opposition party. He broke the cycle.

Why did the Conservatives lose in 2015? Harper was unpopular but not grossly unpopular. The polls shifted from a strong NDP lead to a strong Liberal lead. People wanted change. If Scheer is "Harper lite" that's might be exactly what people want. "Harper lite" could have won in the election in 2015.

CBC called him Harper lite? They must be in the bag for Scheer.

He might stand a chance. Think of Sheer as having Harper's intellect and Trudeau's friendliness. That's what Harper and Trudeau each lacked.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Never went to school long enough to learn about birth control.

If he can afford it, what's wrong with having five kids?

Are you suggesting a law against that? Hmmm... what country has such laws from which we can gain inspiration?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Maxime is a leftie?

Who is complaining about the count?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Who is complaining about the count?

Was Maxime complaining about the count?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Was Maxime complaining about the count?

Article didn't say.

petros
+2
It was the title of the article.

Bernier camp casts doubt on Conservative leadership vote

Walter
Camp doesn't mean Bernier agrees with it. The Gob and Puke is a Liberal supporting paper so it will try to sow discontent in the Conservative ranks.