Canada's Federal Election Polls

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

I say that eveytime I see a public employee.

I'm not sure that when an idiot observes an "idiot" the observation is valid.

Avro
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I'm not sure that when an idiot observes an "idiot" the observation is valid.

Your observation was valid.

DaSleeper

I say that eveytime I see a public employee.

And that from a member of C.U.P.E.

Well I have been a full member of CUPE for over a decade and have never recieved one phone call or letter mail from them.....not once.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

And that from a member of C.U.P.E.

Equals.......................... Hypocrite.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
The numbers in parentheses denote the change from the three day rolling average
of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 3rd (n=1,200; committed voters
only n=986).

Canada (n=990 committed voters)
Conservative 39.8%
(-2.5)
Liberal 30.2% (+1.8
NDP 16.5% (+0.1)
Bloc Quebecois 8.3%
(+0.3)
Green 4.0% (+0.2)
Undecided 17.8% (NC)

Liberalman
Free Thinker
of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 4th (n=1,204; committed voters
only n=990).

Canada (n=981 committed voters)
Conservative 39.7%
(-0.1)
Liberal 29.9% (-0.3)
NDP 17.4% (+0.9)
Bloc Quebecois 8.3%
(NC)
Green 3.8% (-0.2)
Undecided 18.3% (+0.5)

CDNBear
Oh oh, the Liberals are slipping!!

Liberalman
Free Thinker
April 5th

of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 5th (n=1,202; committed voters
only n=981).

Canada (n=989 committed voters)
Conservative 39.6%
(-0.1)
Liberal 30.4% (+0.5)
NDP 17.2% (-0.2)
Bloc Quebecois 8.3%
(NC)
Green 3.2% (-0.6)
Undecided 17.7% (-0.6)

Omicron
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Elections are part of democracy and freedom and
freedom costs in money and lives, so enjoy the experience because you are one
of the Canadians paying for it.

Canada's having elections, but it is NOT democratic.

IF it was, Reformocon would get about 125 seats, Liberal about 93, NDP about 49, BQ about 29, and Green about 13.

But instead, seats are going to be distributed according to an anachronistic "first-past-the-post" system that could give a party representing a minority the majority of seats.

That might not be so bad, were it not for the fact that Canada is NOT free - not in the American sense - because as it stands, a PM has far more autocratic, dictatorial power than any US President could dream of.

The only reason Canada behaved itself was because it had a big brother to the south to live up to, but now that Washington's been taken over by Wall Street financiers (don't kid yourself if you think Obama was able to unravel that.. if you think so, watch this:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645089/) and Harpo's just the guy to live up to that new standard of corporate rule.

If a PM can get a majority of seats, he has dictatorial powers, and the *only* check is that he can be fired by the Governor General, which not enough Canadians know they can ask her to do.

In Canada, a minority can achieve dictatorial power over the majority, like how a Sunni minority in Iraq got power over the Shi'ite majority, or like how the Tutsi minority in Rwanda got power over the Hutu majority.

And the only people who think that's cool are exactly the kind of people you'd never want to be ruled by, namely, those who'd say, "Tough, that's how the system works".

Given Canada's historical pattern of evolution versus revolution, the most efficient, shortest line between two-points next-step towards real democracy would be to make two simple changes, both to do with the Senate.

1) Make it so after each election, seats in the Senate get redistributed according to popular vote, and,

2) Make it so the Senate can actually stop bad legislation for good, instead of the way it can only block bad legislation three times before Commons can force it through.

Some will say, "But that amounts to the Senate having a permanent veto. They may not write legislation, but they can gang up and veto it forever if no single party has a majority of seats in the Senate".

Bingo!

The only one's who'll hate that idea are those who get hard or go moist with the idea of holding dictatorial power with a minority.

Last edited by Omicron; Apr 8th, 2011 at 11:23 AM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

Canada's having elections, but it is NOT democratic.

IF it was, Reformocons would get about 125 seats, Libs about 93, NDP about 49, BQ about 29, and Green about 13.

But instead, seats are going to be distributed according to an anachronistic "first-past-the-post" system that could give a party representing a minority the majority of seats.

That might not be so bad, were it not for the fact that Canada is NOT free - not in the American sense - because as it stands, a PM has far more autocratic, dictatorial power than any US President could dream of.

If a PM can get a majority of seats, he has dictatorial powers, and the *only* check is that he can be fired by the Governor General, which not enough Canadians know they can ask her to do.

In Canada, a minority can achieve dictatorial power over the majority, like how a Sunni minority in Iraq got power over the Shi'ite majority, or like how the Tutsi minority in Rwanda had power over the Hutu majority.

And the only people who think that's cool are exactly the kind of people you'd never want to be ruled by, namely, those who'd say, "Tough, that's how the system works".

Given Canada's historical pattern of evolution versus revolution, the most efficient, shortest line between two-points next-step towards real democracy would be to make two simple changes, both to do with the Senate.

1) Make it so after each election, seats in the Senate get redistributed according to popular vote, and,

2) Make it so the Senate can actually stop bad legislation for good, instead of the way it can only block bad legislation three times before Commons can force it through.

Several years ago there was a referendum on this subject and after many many submissions of pros and cons the conclusion was reached by many, myself inluded, that "first past the post" is indeed the best system, one important reason being the simplicity for voters not to mention a lot less work in tallying the ballots and several others that I can't recall. The bottom line was that other systems were simply not anymore democratic.

Omicron
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Several years ago there was a referendum on this subject and after many many submissions of pros and cons the conclusion was reached by many, myself inluded, that "first past the post" is indeed the best system, one important reason being the simplicity for voters not to mention a lot less work in tallying the ballots and several others that I can't recall. The bottom line was that other systems were simply not anymore democratic.

You're thinking of that scheme for calculating votes according to a statistical process for selecting representatives to the Commons.

To me it was strait-forward, but I could see it bend the brains of people around me.

What I'm talking about is totally different from the system you're referring to.

What I'm talking about is not about the Commons, like that referendum was... it's about the Senate... and it's a concept on the level of primary-school arithmetic, which most anyone should be able to understand, unlike the scheme you're talking about, which required high-school math to understand.

The average Canadian has the literacy/comprehension of an 8th grader (not great, but better than the US which has an average literacy/comprehension level of a 6th grader), which means Joe-Canuck would not have been able to understand the scheme you're referring to, but they would be able to understand what I'm talking about.

And I'm sorry, but, even though Joe-Canuck could not understand the scheme you're referring to, it *is* in fact more democratic... it's just that because Joe-Canuck couldn't understand the math behind it, he didn't *feel* like it was more democratic. However, because he can understand elementary first-past-the-post, he'll *feel* like it's more democratic... but it's not really.

I'm talking about a system that Joe-Canuck can understand, *and* which is more democratic.
Last edited by Omicron; Apr 8th, 2011 at 11:42 AM..

Liberalman
Free Thinker
April 6

of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 6th (n=1,202; committed voters
only n=980). *Undecided represents respondents who are not committed voters
(n=1,200).

Canada (n=1,009 committed voters)
Conservative 40.6%
(+1.0)
Liberal 31.1% (+0.7)
NDP 14.9% (-2.3)
Bloc Quebecois 8.7%
(+0.4)
Green 3.4% (+0.2)

*Undecided 16.0% (-1.7)

Liberalman
Free Thinker
April 7

of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 7th (n=1,200; committed voters
only n=1,009). *Undecided represents respondents who are not committed voters
(n=1,200).

Canada (n=1,011 committed voters)
Conservative 40.5%
(-0.1)
Liberal 31.7% (+0.6)
NDP 13.2% (-1.7)
Bloc Quebecois 9.2%
(+0.5)
Green 4.0% (+0.6)

*Undecided 15.8% (-0.2)

petros
I'm going to vote for myself.

Praxius
Free Thinker

The only problem with advance polls is giving a false sense of security.

The above poll shows the Conservatives in majority territory but does this
mean less conservative supporters will go out to vote because they think they
will win?

The advance poll also gets people to take a closer look at the leader to see
if there is agreement in beliefs and policy.

Years back in Ontario the polls showed a Liberal
majority so people assumed that the Liberals would win so they never voted and
on election night the NDP became the new provincial government.

Just remember, the last election was called because of advanced polls and Harper thinking he'd get a majority... which he didn't.

What's the moral of the story?

Advanced polls are useless and pretty much a complete waste of time & money.

petros
I lie on polls.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
April 8

of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 8th (n=1,200; committed voters
only n=1,011). *Undecided represents respondents who are not committed voters
(n=1,200).

Canada (n=1,012 committed voters)
Conservative 39.5%
(-1.0)
Liberal 31.6% (-0.1)
NDP 14.7% (+1.5)
Bloc Quebecois 8.1%
(-1.1)
Green 4.8% (+0.8

*Undecided 15.7% (-0.1)

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I lie on polls.

You don't get a good sleep do you?

Liberalman
Free Thinker
April 9

of the Nanos Nightly Tracking ending on April 9th (n=1,200; committed voters
only n=1,012). *Undecided represents respondents who are not committed voters
(n=1,200).

Canada (n=982 committed voters)
Conservative 41.2% (+1.7)

Liberal 30.4% (-1.2)
NDP 15.2% (+0.5)
Bloc Quebecois 7.8% (-0.3)

Green 4.6% (-0.2)

*Undecided 18.1% (+2.4)

YukonJack
Conservative
Liberalman, in the stats you present the total percentages don't add up to 100.0 and the total changes don't add up to 0.0.

How valid is your source?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Liberalman, in the stats you present the total percentages don't add up to 100.0 and the total changes don't add up to 0.0.

He's using political math, Y.J. That is a very convenient type of math where the numbers don't add up. I've never seen a politician that doesn't use it.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

CTV/Globe and Mail poll

Jack_Of_Spade

Nanos poll as of March 31

Canada (n=983 committed voters)
Conservative 41.3% (+1.9)
Liberal 30.3%
(-1.4)
NDP 16.0% (-0.1)
Bloc Quebecois 8.5% (-)
Green 3.7% (-0.7)

Undecided 18.1% (-2.4)

All I can say to this is "Hail The furor!!" Seriously though have you ever taken a poll.They usualy call at super time and the questions are so vague you would need a computor to decode the meaning.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Jack_Of_Spade View Post

All I can say to this is "Hail The furor!!"

Colpy
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jack_Of_Spade View Post

All I can say to this is "Hail The furor!!" Seriously though have you ever taken a poll.They usualy call at super time and the questions are so vague you would need a computor to decode the meaning.

Well, thank you so much for demonstrating in this rather offensive post exactly how big an idiot you really are.

Completely brain-dead.

About what I would expect from a mud-slinging supporter of Ignatieff and Layton.

Let the furor begin.

(insert rolled eyes here)

Learn to SPELL if you want to be taken seriously, you ****ing drooling moron.

I don't appreciate being called a Nazi, even by someone so obviously completely devoid of any functioning intellect.

TenPenny
Colpy, are they holding an election on your side of town? I see very few signs in my neighborhood, and pretty close to nothing in the press or media to do with this election....seems oddly quiet. Is it just my part of town, or do you see the same thing?

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I don't appreciate being called a Nazi, even by someone so obviously completely devoid of any functioning intellect.

And that goes for you, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Colpy, are they holding an election on your side of town? I see very few signs in my neighborhood, and pretty close to nothing in the press or media to do with this election....seems oddly quiet. Is it just my part of town, or do you see the same thing?

I'm on the West Side, and although I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up.....you're right!

I am surprised.......especially as this riding is seen as a swing riding.

Just a few signs out.
Last edited by Colpy; Apr 11th, 2011 at 09:58 AM..

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

This is a TV election apparently. My mom phoned to ask how the hell she can find information on her local MP and if there are debates and such in her riding on line. I couldn't find a damn thing.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
That symbol on the PC logo is not a swastika. Look close, it has pointy ends. It is a symbol for a prop of some kind. Subtle, like the difference between a surveyors mark and a gun sight.

Jack_Of_Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Well, thank you so much for demonstrating in this rather offensive post exactly how big an idiot you really are.

Completely brain-dead.

About what I would expect from a mud-slinging supporter of Ignatieff and Layton.

Let the furor begin.

(insert rolled eyes here)

Learn to SPELL if you want to be taken seriously, you ****ing drooling moron.

Point 1) Einstein couldnt spell either so I am in good companie. Point 2) The fact that you got offended by that and your comment shows that you are complettly devoid of rational thinking and vote out of loyalty. Point 3) I have no party afiliation because I look at the facts and if the goverment in power is betraying the Canadian poeple I vote them out. I voted the Liberals out now i'm voting the Concervative out . Point 4) I hope everyday since this election was called that there arent to many brainwash loyalist like yourself who vote.