Quebec shouldn't separate from Canada

El Barto
How can you argue that?

FiveParadox
Liberal
+1
The Reform Party started to get “the West in” — they wanted the Western provinces to be given greater independence, greater rights and privileges than the other Provinces, to be given precedence in the decision-making process. They were doing, at the time, exactly what the Bloc Québécois is doing for Québec now, the only difference is they stopped short of advocating complete sovereignty.

El Barto
Could you stop being so right?

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox View Post

The Reform Party started to get “the West in” — they wanted the Western provinces to be given greater independence, greater rights and privileges than the other Provinces, to be given precedence in the decision-making process. They were doing, at the time, exactly what the Bloc Québécois is doing for Québec now, the only difference is they stopped short of advocating complete sovereignty.

But the Reform party operated in more than one province. This is not an insigniicant difference. How would the Bloc fair if they had MPs from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia? Their message would be diluted, just like the Reform party message was diluted into the Alliance party and the Conservatives.

I really can't understand all these apologists for the Bloc.

s_lone
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

But the Reform party operated in more than one province. This is not an insigniicant difference. How would the Bloc fair if they had MPs from New Brunswick or Nova Scotia? Their message would be diluted, just like the Reform party message was diluted into the Alliance party and the Conservatives.

I really can't understand all these apologists for the Bloc.

I can certainly understand your frustration at seeing a separatist party in Ottawa. Can you understand the frustration of Quebecers who'd rather have Quebec as their country?

countryboy
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

I can certainly understand your frustration at seeing a separatist party in Ottawa. Can you understand the frustration of Quebecers who'd rather have Quebec as their country?

I can. There are similar thoughts pretty much everywhere in the country. In every case, these folks do not appear to be in the majority, and that includes the ones in Quebec.

So, as much as I understand the frustrations of separatists everywhere, I don't agree with them.

I think the Bloc stands for separation of Quebec from Canada (correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the reason the party came into existence?) and I still have a problem with that 'mission' existing in the House of Commons.

MHz
Does anybody even remember that the creation of Canada required certain things be done. One such thing is that any amendment to the Constitution (BNA Act 1867) had to be voted on by the 'voters'. In this case it was the citizens of the Provinces, they had to vote to approve what Ottawa was suggesting, that the Sovereign Provinces join together to form one Country called Canada. Does anybody know where the results of that vote by the common people is? As it stands Quebec cannot separate from something she does not belong to.

s_lone
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

I can. There are similar thoughts pretty much everywhere in the country. In every case, these folks do not appear to be in the majority, and that includes the ones in Quebec.

So, as much as I understand the frustrations of separatists everywhere, I don't agree with them.

I think the Bloc stands for separation of Quebec from Canada (correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not the reason the party came into existence?) and I still have a problem with that 'mission' existing in the House of Commons.

I was only a kid when the Bloc came into existence but from what I understand, the Bloc was started out of anger at the failure of the Meech Lake Accord.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

This is an irreconcilable difference. They want a country and I am totally against it because it would wreck my country. There is no mutually agreeable solution here. So I think separatism should be squeezed as much as democratically possible in our federal system. I don't understand why we water down our federal system of governance, because you can have a federal system of governance and not be a democracy.

These armchair separatists want their own country with as little trouble as possible, and we accomodate them. We do all we can to let them keep their destructive dream alive. Go figure.