The Cost of War for Iraqis

Reverend Blair
The cost of war for Iraqi has been high. It was high before the Gulf War, when they were being encouraged to attack Iran. It was high when the Reagan regime was opposing sanctions for Saddam's gassing of the Kurds, and they remain high today.

Here is an interesting article from Common Dreams on the subject.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0416-10.htm

vista
Yes, the Iraqis are at the wrong place at the wrong time. The countryside is littered with Guantanamo type concentration camps. Depleted Uranium munitions are creating a radioactive wasteland.

Unfortunately for Iraq, they have something the USG desparately needs - oil.

"There is no 'war on terror', just the new Great Game"

John Pilger, 2002, adding that the 19th century geopolitical struggle for power and wealth had merely been vastly speeded-up, and has become more deadly than ever.

Indeed, very deadly.

Andem
Free Thinker
I apologise for not making a similar posting as I did for the American cost of this war.

The Iraqis themselves have paid the highest price for this war. The families have paid in blood and unfortunately, I see no soon end to the violence in this country. America and Iraq will pay, but who will pay the highest price in the end?

vista
Next in line for war, humiliation and death are the people of Africa.

(Not that this is anything new to Africa... "The civil war in Rwanda and the ethnic massacres were an integral part of US foreign policy, carefully staged in accordance with precise strategic and economic objectives." If Romeo Delairre only knew.)

It continues...

Africa: Oil, al-Qaeda and the US military

http://www.newsgateway.ca/Africa_and_oil.htm

Reverend Blair
Yeah, Africa has been getting the hell pounded out of them forever, and it's about to get a whole lot worse.

vista
Just in case anyone missed it...

Photos Revealed Of US Abusing Iraqi Prisoners: 60 Minutes II aired shocking photos of US soldiers abusing Iraqis prisoners.

One showed an Iraqi prisoner with electric wires attached to his genitals; another showed a dog attacking a prisoner. There are shots of the prisoners stacked in a pyramid, one with a slur written on his skin in English.

In some, the male prisoners are positioned to simulate sex with each other. And in most of the pictures, the Americans are laughing, posing, pointing, or giving the camera a thumbs-up.

Paul Joseph Watson comments: "What the US papers don't say: NY Post, NY Times, Washington Post, Washington Times, LA Times BLACKOUT on Iraq Torture Photos. It was more of a surprise, however, that a search of the US press revealed not one word about the tortured prisoners. Not a leader column, not a news report, not even a TV review..." http://www.prisonplanet.tv/articles/...busephotos.htm

Canada's Global News Morning carried a short clip with a photo, this was not repeated in the evening National News...

I have more links and pictures.

Reverend Blair
I find it laughable that this is being construed as an isolated incident. The US has been torturing people as a matter of course since the first CIA man's boots hit the ground in Afghanistan.

Not that the individual soldiers shouldn't be punished, but for the punishment to stop there is silly. The crimes go all the way to the top. Everybody, including "private contractors" should be charged. That includes those in the White House who refuse to take action to stop this kind of thing.

vista
Yes. They should be brought to bear... but better put Dubya, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and the whole cast of characters into fatigues and send them to Iraq and see how long they survive.

Who will take them out first? Iraqis or the U.S. troops?

Col. Donn de Grandpre suggested the Baghdad attack that just missed Wolfowitz in his hotel was a U.S. attack from the very, very disillusioned rank and file. The attack was very precise.

For good measure:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...name_page.html

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/BOU403A.html

Afghan Massacre - Convoy of Death: In Afghanistan, filmmaker Jamie Doran has uncovered evidence of large scale massacre: Taliban prisoners of war suffocated in containers, shot in the desert under the watch of American troops.

The film provides eyewitness testimony that U.S. troops were complicit in the massacre of thousands of Taliban prisoners during the Afghan War.

It tells the story of thousands of prisoners who surrendered to the US military’s Afghan allies after the siege of Kunduz. According to eyewitnesses, some three thousand of the prisoners were forced into sealed containers and loaded onto trucks for transport to Sheberghan prison. Eyewitnesses say when the prisoners began shouting for air, U.S.-allied Afghan soldiers fired directly into the truck, killing many of them. The rest suffered through an appalling road trip lasting up to four days, so thirsty they clawed at the skin of their fellow prisoners as they licked perspiration and even drank blood from open wounds.

Witnesses say that when the trucks arrived and soldiers opened the containers, most of the people inside were dead. They also say US Special Forces re-directed the containers carrying the living and dead into the desert and stood by as survivors were shot and buried. Now, up to three thousand bodies lie buried in a mass grave.

The film has sent shockwaves around the world. It has been broadcast on national television in Britain, Germany, Italy and Australia. It has been screened by the European parliament. It has outraged human rights groups and international human rights lawyers. They are calling for investigation into whether U.S. Special Forces are guilty of war crimes.

But most Americans have never heard of the film. That’s because not one corporate media outlet in the U.S. will touch it.

“Afghan Massacre” is produced and directed by award-winning Irish filmmaker Jamie Doran. Doran is has worked at the highest levels of television film production for more than two decades. His films have been broadcast on virtually every major channel throughout the world.

http://www.democracynow.org/article....=thread&tid=25

Reverend Blair
I wonder how many times things like this, and worse, have happened when there was no camera present?

It really boggles the mind how a country can present itself as representing freedom and human rights then allow, even encourage, this kind of thing.

Andem
Free Thinker
You know Rev. Blair, these type of things [seemingly] happen everywhere American troops seem to set foot.

We've seen civilian massacres in Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea, Vietnam.. The Americans use typical mass propaganda. How did Hitler remain so popular throughout his führer-ship? He lied to the people, he used mass propaganda techniques and controlled radio and cinema.

The US is able to hide so much information and keep so much behind the curtain, as they work hand in hand with the media. The media benefits in countless ways.. but welcome to the age of information. The media is not just CNN or MSNBC anymore. There's journalists on the Internet, there's people out that who just want people to know the truth.

Don't be surprised if we see proof (and more of it) of American atrocities throughout history and current times. Afterall, few know how many the Soviet Union murdered throughout it's rein; I'm hoping more people will know about that, and eventually find out (through time) what Americans have been upto.

vista
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

The Americans use typical mass propaganda. How did Hitler remain so popular throughout his führer-ship? He lied to the people, he used mass propaganda techniques and controlled radio and cinema.

The US is able to hide so much information and keep so much behind the curtain, as they work hand in hand with the media. The media benefits in countless ways.. but welcome to the age of information. The media is not just CNN or MSNBC anymore. There's journalists on the Internet, there's people out that who just want people to know the truth.

I don't want to get too far off the original theme of the thread. But these comments tie into a Barrie Zwicker article I finally got around to posting - my wife was gracious enough to type it for me.

"It should not be denied any longer: America is hurtling along the road to full-fledged fascism." The parallels are frightening.

http://www.newsgateway.ca/America_The_Fourth_Reich.htm

Further comments on the media...

Frank Gardiner Wisner, head of the CIA’s clandestine operations directorate, liked to boast of his powerful connections with the American media. Claiming that he could plant any kind of a story he wanted in the major American newspapers.

By a judicious mixture of bribery, special favours, and outright payments of cash, Wisner and his associates could powerfully influence American perceptions and completely silence any media opposition. Prominent academics, revered newspaper columnists, historical writers, newspaper and magazine editors, book publishers, and, later, television executives all gorged at the CIA pig trough, and when one died, there were many eager to take his place.

And coming to a TV near you... Department of Homeland Security - The Series. Führer conditioning of the public.

moghrabi
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the all other liers in the Oral Office should be answering to a war crime court.

Reverend Blair
Yes they should, moghrabi. That would not only punish them for their crimes, but send a clear message that the international community places nobody above the law. Such a message would serve to curtail the abuses of those in smaller nations.

Numure
I agree. But the question is, will it happen?

Anonymous
Quote: Originally Posted by Numure

I agree. But the question is, will it happen?

If such things happened in America Reagon would have been hung long ago for his ordering of overthrows and setting up of death squads in South America.

It will never happen as there are two sets of rules - one for America and one for everyone else.

Numure
That is the reason behind my sarcastic question. It won't happen. And for futur refrence, the internationnal courts don't give out death penalties anymore. They only sentence life time in prison.

moghrabi
Well I do not mind a life sentence in prison for all these Oral Office criminals as long as they are treated the same way they treated the Iraqi prisoners.