No external probe after reporter suicide: Toronto Star memo


Locutus
#1
TORONTO — Canada's largest newspaper decided against an outside investigation into the circumstances around the suicide of a prominent reporter because it would have been too bureaucratic, according to an internal memo.

Instead, the Toronto Star did its own investigation, which resulted in two senior editors leaving the newsroom and an enhanced code of conduct, the memo to staff said.

"An external legal investigator was not necessary or appropriate in the circumstances," Brian Daly, vice-president of human resources, said in the memo.

"Such third-party investigations, by their very nature, follow formalized, legalistic protocols, with minimal if any transparency of findings or conclusions."

In a column last week, Star public editor Kathy English talked of the turmoil in the newsroom after Raveena Aulakh, 42, killed herself last month. The column stated that Aulakh had been in a relationship with a senior editor, Jon Filson.

In emails Aulakh had sent, English said, a "clearly heartbroken'' Aulakh made allegations about a relationship between Filson and managing editor Jane Davenport. Filson had already left the company, while Davenport was reassigned within the company.

The Star said it would not discuss details of their departures given that it was an internal personnel matter.

mo

No external probe after reporter suicide: Toronto Star memo | Metro News






Dean Skoreyko ‏@bcbluecon

Dean Skoreyko Retweeted The Canadian Press
Star conducts own investigation of itself, finds themselves guiltless
 
lone wolf
+1
#2
Guess he showed her....

Here's an idea: Do an exposé into why people feel hopeless enough to commit suicide
 
Tecumsehsbones
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Guess he showed her....

Here's an idea: Do an exposé into why people feel hopeless enough to commit suicide

Mostly because they gain an accurate perception of their worth.
 
Danbones
#4
naw
SSRI antidepressants list suicide as a side effect
 
SLM
+2
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Mostly because they gain an accurate perception of their worth.

Does the ice water in your veins help keep things cool in the summer? Cuz, wow.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Does the ice water in your veins help keep things cool in the summer? Cuz, wow.

He is a lawyer. Veins implies he has a heart.
 
SLM
+2
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

He is a lawyer. Veins implies he has a heart.

Such sentiments also go a long way towards explaining why people get to feeling hopeless in the first place.
 
lone wolf
#8
It does ... especially when you're already questioning your own worthiness. Y'know ... June 13 I had a visit with the cardiologist. Had a stent placed 12 years ago and it's time again. I actually paused and wondered if it's worth it owing to all the shyte and down-nosed looks that have chipped away at my self confidence over the last 23 years.
 
SLM
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

It does ... especially when you're already questioning your own worthiness. Y'know ... June 13 I had a visit with the cardiologist. Had a stent placed 12 years ago and it's time again. I actually paused and wondered if it's worth it owing to all the shyte and down-nosed looks that have chipped away at my self confidence over the last 23 years.

Of course it is!

And not to downplay the affect others can have, but self-worth is not determined by outsiders. At some point it comes down to a choice, a decision, to believe in yourself, in your value. Don't give that over to other people. I know that's not always easy, but if your going to get pissed f and fight for something, then this is the thing you fight for.
 
Locutus
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

It does ... especially when you're already questioning your own worthiness. Y'know ... June 13 I had a visit with the cardiologist. Had a stent placed 12 years ago and it's time again. I actually paused and wondered if it's worth it owing to all the shyte and down-nosed looks that have chipped away at my self confidence over the last 23 years.

not really sure what a stent has to do with thoughts of self-worth; or even 'looks' from others but it sounds like it's better being alive.

at any rate, ya never know when you're supposed to help someone you may not have even met yet so it's best to stick around.