The French Moving to Ireland Too !!!


jimmoyer
#1
Ireland holds promise of green

By Christophe Schmidt
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published April 19, 2006


DUBLIN, Ireland -- Thousands of young French people are taking advantage of full employment, if not iron-clad job security -- not in France, but a little more than an hour away by plane in the capital of Ireland.

The French Embassy in Dublin estimates that at least 17,000 French citizens live in the city. Not all have qualifications, but most can get by in English.

"The growth of the Irish economy is so strong [more than 5 percent a year] that there's not been enough local workers for a while," said Laurent Girard-Claudon, an expatriate since 1999.

"There are always vacancies in every sector, from information technology to the restoration business, sales and the building trade," said the 29-year-old entrepreneur, whose company Approach People recruits multilingual workers.

Irish employment contracts remain the same whatever the employee's age: a six-month trial period, which is renewable once, during which time either party can terminate the contract with a week's notice.

After that, the notice period is one month. At this stage, any dismissal must be backed up in writing, but the procedure is not set in stone.

The minimum hourly wage is $8.50 after taxes, and the unemployment rate is 3 percent.

The job market in Dublin contrasts with the situation in France, where the unemployment rate is 22 percent and double that in some areas.

A French government effort to reform the law on job contracts by allowing employers to fire workers younger than 26 at any time during a two-year trial period triggered widespread protests and riots in Paris, forcing President Jacques Chirac to withdraw the proposal earlier this month.

Veronique Lagrange, 24, qualified as a sommelier -- a wine steward -- in Bordeaux two years ago. Tired of being offered waitressing jobs, she left for Dublin with only her resume in hand and a room booked in a youth hostel.

"I immediately found a job as an assistant sommelier in a large restaurant," she said. "Three months later, my boyfriend joined me, and he was taken on as a hotel receptionist."

Yannick Martin, 25, from Dieulefit in southeast France, spent three years working out short-term contracts after completing an information-technology course at a university.

He chose to work in Ireland to improve his English skills and boost his chances of finding a job when he returns to France.

The French citizens in Dublin say they are sympathetic to the students and union members who protested in Paris.
 
Daz_Hockey
#2
hahaha they can have them.......keep em
 
Jay
#3
Poor France. I hope things turn around for her soon.
 
jimmoyer
#4
LOL Jay !!!

Actually, it is in everyone's best interest that all
Western Democracies remain strong and productive.

Nations like Mexico or Burma (Myanmar) are
too resource rich to NOT be First World countries,
but they have a level of corruption so entrenched
it quite makes Western hypocrisy look like Kindergarten.
 
Jay
#5
I agree we need a strong France. Perhaps that's why she is coming under all this pressure; someone doesn't want a strong France. I wonder who those people would be.
 
Daz_Hockey
#6
yeah the UK, the real master's of europe don't, stupid french.....cant believe they still blame the british for dunkirk.....on that note, I hope Myanmir and mexico do become first world countries
 
jimmoyer
#7
Actually the expatriate French and the French diaspora
is already showing it will leave the country to find
a job. This will be an interesting process to watch.

This is one American who hopes the French maintain
and increase their power, their productivity and
their relevance.
 
Finder
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

yeah the UK, the real master's of europe don't, stupid french.....cant believe they still blame the british for dunkirk.....on that note, I hope Myanmir and mexico do become first world countries



man I think this board is going to sh*t with so many fascist little basterds like yourself running around of late. Now Blackleaf is smart enough to use other peoples documents in his posts in an attempt to prove some kind of a point, but you just spu your moronic hatred of anything which is not British everywhere.



Anyhow on the real point. I'm not surprised that there are many french in Dublin. When I was there in the summer I found Dublin to be pretty multi cultural.
 
Blackleaf
#9
Republic of Ireland's is economy is also boomiong, just like Britain's - although that's thanks mainly to the EU, of which Ireland is one of the biggest receivers of money (after Germany, Britain is the second biggest contributor). So it has just ridden the Eu Gravy Train.

But its economy grows around 7-8% each year, it's the best place in Europe to do business and it has one of the Western World's highest levels of entrepreneurial activity.

But it's supposed to be a boring place to live. There are many Irish celebrities, such as game show hosts and talk show hosts, who live in Britain because they say Ireland is deathly boring. If Dublin was still a part of Britain, it would be nothing more than a village.
 
Blackleaf
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

I agree we need a strong France. Perhaps that's why she is coming under all this pressure; someone doesn't want a strong France. I wonder who those people would be.

No we don't. A strong France is not good for Britain. For centuries, Britain has done all it can to ensure that no Continental power gets too strong - and with France, Germany and Italy all weak at the moment, it seems to be working.

When France gets strong in Europe, in tends to get over-mighty, and tries to impose its will on the other Member States as though the EU is nothing more than a Greater France.

Just look how arrogant Chirac treated the Eastern European EU members when they supported Britain and America in the Iraq War.
 
Nuggler
#11
Blackleaf wrote:

"No we don't. A strong France is not good for Britain. For centuries, Britain has done all it can to ensure that no Continental power gets too strong - and with France, Germany and Italy all weak at the moment, it seems to be working.
[/quote]

Ya but: If LaFrance gets overly snotty, just yell at her real loud and she will surrender. No problems mate.

 
Jay
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

I agree we need a strong France. Perhaps that's why she is coming under all this pressure; someone doesn't want a strong France. I wonder who those people would be.

No we don't. A strong France is not good for Britain. For centuries, Britain has done all it can to ensure that no Continental power gets too strong - and with France, Germany and Italy all weak at the moment, it seems to be working.

When France gets strong in Europe, in tends to get over-mighty, and tries to impose its will on the other Member States as though the EU is nothing more than a Greater France.

Just look how arrogant Chirac treated the Eastern European EU members when they supported Britain and America in the Iraq War.

We need all the partners in this thing called "The West"' to be strong. It isn't all about the UK.
 
aeon
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

yeah the UK, the real master's of europe don't, stupid french.....cant believe they still blame the british for dunkirk.....on that note, I hope Myanmir and mexico do become first world countries


You are a looser, that is all that comes to my mind, a looser and coward.
 
Daz_Hockey
#14
1. I am NOT a facist

2. I like Myanmar and Mexico because I've been to both of them.

3. I dislike the french because I am english, I dislike the way even after fighting our asses off for them and being mismanaged by THEM, they still have the cheek to say we ran out on them at Dunkirk, and even after beating the germans, they STILL wouldnt allow us to join the EU even though Britian is quite clearly the most powerful country in the union, SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AND DONT MAKE SLADEROUS COMMENTS LIKE THAT......I am not an idiot, a moron, a coward or a facist.

I simply say this: it's time poorer countries like the two above are given a chance
 
Blackleaf
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

.

and even after beating the germans, they STILL wouldnt allow us to join the EU even though Britian is quite clearly the most powerful country in the union, SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AND DONT MAKE SLADEROUS COMMENTS LIKE THAT......I am not an idiot, a moron, a coward or a facist.

That's because the Frogs, like the Paddies, wanted the Nazis to win the War.

Both countries collaborated with the Nazis in some way.
 
Jay
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf

Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

.

and even after beating the germans, they STILL wouldnt allow us to join the EU even though Britian is quite clearly the most powerful country in the union, SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AND DONT MAKE SLADEROUS COMMENTS LIKE THAT......I am not an idiot, a moron, a coward or a facist.

That's because the Frogs, like the Paddies, wanted the Nazis to win the War.

Both countries collaborated with the Nazis in some way.

It was harder for the French not too though....at least they have an excuse, they lost the battle for France...but there was a strong resistance.
 
Daz_Hockey
#17
I agree with Jay, the french certainly didnt want the germans to win the war, it was just backward thinking that lost them their war, Churchill himself said the french had the greatest army in the world a few years before, it wasnt a case of france wanting germany to win, it was simply a case of mismanagement and lack of forward thinking.

while I accept the above to be true, for the same reason I dislike the french for even suggesting the BEF walked out on them, we were dead in the water, we lost effectivly our power to prove a real defence against the rampaging germans and there was no hope but to retreat and plead with our allies to join us, why cant the french accept this?.

I also think it is quite clear who the vichy colaboraters were, but it's harder to pinpoint the irish, sure, if the enemy of my enemy got the upper hand, I'd help em
 
aeon
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

I agree with Jay, the french certainly didnt want the germans to win the war, it was just backward thinking that lost them their war, Churchill himself said the french had the greatest army in the world a few years before, it wasnt a case of france wanting germany to win, it was simply a case of mismanagement and lack of forward thinking.

while I accept the above to be true, for the same reason I dislike the french for even suggesting the BEF walked out on them, we were dead in the water, we lost effectivly our power to prove a real defence against the rampaging germans and there was no hope but to retreat and plead with our allies to join us, why cant the french accept this?.

I also think it is quite clear who the vichy colaboraters were, but it's harder to pinpoint the irish, sure, if the enemy of my enemy got the upper hand, I'd help em


Come to quebec, spew your stupidity, and lets see how long you will be able to stay alive, until then you are a coward at his best, you are only able to spew your moronity, through forum.
 
aeon
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf

Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

.

and even after beating the germans, they STILL wouldnt allow us to join the EU even though Britian is quite clearly the most powerful country in the union, SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AND DONT MAKE SLADEROUS COMMENTS LIKE THAT......I am not an idiot, a moron, a coward or a facist.

That's because the Frogs, like the Paddies, wanted the Nazis to win the War.

Both countries collaborated with the Nazis in some way.


Same for you.
 
Finder
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

1. I am NOT a facist

2. I like Myanmar and Mexico because I've been to both of them.

3. I dislike the french because I am english, I dislike the way even after fighting our asses off for them and being mismanaged by THEM, they still have the cheek to say we ran out on them at Dunkirk, and even after beating the germans, they STILL wouldnt allow us to join the EU even though Britian is quite clearly the most powerful country in the union, SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS AND DONT MAKE SLADEROUS COMMENTS LIKE THAT......I am not an idiot, a moron, a coward or a facist.

I simply say this: it's time poorer countries like the two above are given a chance


"I dislike the french because I am english"

So you say, english should dislike the french because they are french and "we" are english". Your a fascist.
 
Daz_Hockey
#21
ohhh your all getting a bit harsh here...I've been to quebec, and I have indeed spoken openly about my feelings as an englishman nearing france, fine, accepted, nothing personal.

besides which, Aeon...look, your taking this far too personally, and insulting me when it is not needed or wanted, I dont always agree with Blackleaf's rantings but I am not a facist racist or any other idiotic name you wish to call me, oh nd suggesting I'm some kind of web warrior who cant speak in the "real world" well, frankly, bollox, I'd say it to your face, I've expressed my opinions openly to american's, canadian's everyone, been there done that.

Fact is I have never called you a loser or a retard or whatever else youve called me, and actually if you scroll up and take the time to read my comments above, I've complemented the french a fair bit.
 
Finder
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

ohhh your all getting a bit harsh here...I've been to quebec, and I have indeed spoken openly about my feelings as an englishman nearing france, fine, accepted, nothing personal.

besides which, Aeon...look, your taking this far too personally, and insulting me when it is not needed or wanted, I dont always agree with Blackleaf's rantings but I am not a facist racist or any other idiotic name you wish to call me, oh nd suggesting I'm some kind of web warrior who cant speak in the "real world" well, frankly, bollox, I'd say it to your face, I've expressed my opinions openly to american's, canadian's everyone, been there done that.

Fact is I have never called you a loser or a retard or whatever else youve called me, and actually if you scroll up and take the time to read my comments above, I've complemented the french a fair bit.


I tend to agree more often with Blackleaf then I do with you. Blackleaf lives in an ideal world of the British empire, you on the other hand I'm not sure how you see the world but it's a lot more messed up then Blackleaf. Plus he is usful he brings up a lot of interesting histoical tid bites, you well you just don't seem to like anything which isn't British or born British.
 
Daz_Hockey
#23
nah thats rubbish, I'm nowhere near as pro-british as Blackleaf is because I'm a southerner, we dont tend to be, also I actually like canada and it's people as well as american, it's just jokes, I'm never too serious....I am offended now however
 
aeon
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

ohhh your all getting a bit harsh here...I've been to quebec, and I have indeed spoken openly about my feelings as an englishman nearing france, fine, accepted, nothing personal.

besides which, Aeon...look, your taking this far too personally, and insulting me when it is not needed or wanted, I dont always agree with Blackleaf's rantings but I am not a facist racist or any other idiotic name you wish to call me, oh nd suggesting I'm some kind of web warrior who cant speak in the "real world" well, frankly, bollox, I'd say it to your face, I've expressed my opinions openly to american's, canadian's everyone, been there done that.

Fact is I have never called you a loser or a retard or whatever else youve called me, and actually if you scroll up and take the time to read my comments above, I've complemented the french a fair bit.


I am taking it personally cause i am french, i am tired of the anti-french group that are in here, WHAT THE FREEKING IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?? dont like people who are different?? don t like different language, then suicide yourself, cause this world has many different languages/cultures

Calling stupid french insults me, cause i know you are the kind of guy, who are only able to insult others on forum.
 
iamcanadian
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmoyer

LOL Jay !!!

Actually, it is in everyone's best interest that all
Western Democracies remain strong and productive.

Nations like Mexico or Burma (Myanmar) are
too resource rich to NOT be First World countries,
but they have a level of corruption so entrenched
it quite makes Western hypocrisy look like Kindergarten.


Or Canada's level of resources are so much greater and with the USA pumping so much money into us and with so few people here we don't feel our much greater level of corruption in Canada.
 
Daz_Hockey
#26
your from quebec and you stil call yourself french?

funny the french dont regard the quebecous with too much fondness for them.....I actually know a lot of french ppl......from france funnily enough...I am not trying to insult you neither, dont take it personlly, as I say, I'm no web warrior......I get on fine with most people I meet, regardless of their age/sex/race or disability, I shouldnt need to defend this, but I have spent a lot of time in france, I've been to quebec, but as a "french" person you should understand the banter that goes on between the two....what was th french joke?

"why will the sun never set on the british empire"?

"because god doesnt trust em with the lights off"
 
Finder
#27
Daz, I'm not saying your not more of an imperialist, or nationalist then BlackLeaf, but BlackLeaf is much better at defeanding his points with what he believes to be reason and logic, be it his own. You on the otherhand defeand your values with merely passion, ignorance and arrogance. You are both pretty much still in the same wrong but if I am allowed to use orginized crime as an example, you are to the Hell's Angles as BlackLeaf is to the Italian Mafia.
 
Daz_Hockey
#28
Quality, I like that one....disorganised, amateur, old and well.......rubbish, compared to the well structured organised quick to the point cosanostra...I see your point well made
 
Finder
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

Quality, I like that one....disorganised, amateur, old and well.......rubbish, compared to the well structured organised quick to the point cosanostra...I see your point well made

lmao thought you'd see the logic with that analyst.

Though you don't give enough credit to the hells angels (yourself).
 

Similar Threads

0
Northern Ireland staggers toward normality
by Blackleaf | Apr 24th, 2006
54
The right economic model ? Ireland !!!
by jimmoyer | Jul 7th, 2005