Kerry Won

moghrabi
Kerry Won

Greg Palast
November 04, 2004

Bush won Ohio by 136,483 votes. Typically in the United States, about 3 percent of votes cast are voided—known as “spoilage” in election jargon—because the ballots cast are inconclusive. Palast’s investigation suggests that if Ohio’s discarded ballots were counted, Kerry would have won the state. Today, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports there are a total of 247,672 votes not counted in Ohio, if you add the 92,672 discarded votes plus the 155,000 provisional ballots.

Greg Palast, contributing editor to Harper's magazine, investigated the manipulation of the vote for BBC Television's Newsnight. The documentary, "Bush Family Fortunes," based on his New York Times bestseller, The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, has been released this month on DVD .

Kerry won. Here's the facts.

I know you don't want to hear it. You can't face one more hung chad. But I don't have a choice. As a journalist examining that messy sausage called American democracy, it's my job to tell you who got the most votes in the deciding states. Tuesday, in Ohio and New Mexico, it was John Kerry.

Most voters in Ohio thought they were voting for Kerry. CNN's exit poll showed Kerry beating Bush among Ohio women by 53 percent to 47 percent. Kerry also defeated Bush among Ohio's male voters 51 percent to 49 percent. Unless a third gender voted in Ohio, Kerry took the state.

So what's going on here? Answer: the exit polls are accurate. Pollsters ask, "Who did you vote for?" Unfortunately, they don't ask the crucial, question, "Was your vote counted?" The voters don't know.

Here's why. Although the exit polls show that most voters in Ohio punched cards for Kerry-Edwards, thousands of these votes were simply not recorded. This was predictable and it was predicted. [See TomPaine.com, "An Election Spoiled Rotten," November 1.]

Once again, at the heart of the Ohio uncounted vote game are, I'm sorry to report, hanging chads and pregnant chads, plus some other ballot tricks old and new.

The election in Ohio was not decided by the voters but by something called "spoilage." Typically in the United States, about 3 percent of the vote is voided, just thrown away, not recorded. When the bobble-head boobs on the tube tell you Ohio or any state was won by 51 percent to 49 percent, don't you believe it ... it has never happened in the United States, because the total never reaches a neat 100 percent. The television totals simply subtract out the spoiled vote.

And not all vote spoil equally. Most of those votes, say every official report, come from African American and minority precincts. (To learn more, click here.)

We saw this in Florida in 2000. Exit polls showed Gore with a plurality of at least 50,000, but it didn't match the official count. That's because the official, Secretary of State Katherine Harris, excluded 179,855 spoiled votes. In Florida, as in Ohio, most of these votes lost were cast on punch cards where the hole wasn't punched through completely—leaving a 'hanging chad,'—or was punched extra times. Whose cards were discarded? Expert statisticians investigating spoilage for the government calculated that 54 percent of the ballots thrown in the dumpster were cast by black folks. (To read the report from the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, click here .)

And here's the key: Florida is terribly typical. The majority of ballots thrown out (there will be nearly 2 million tossed out from Tuesday's election) will have been cast by African American and other minority citizens.

So here we go again. Or, here we don't go again. Because unlike last time, Democrats aren't even asking Ohio to count these cards with the not-quite-punched holes (called "undervotes" in the voting biz).

Ohio is one of the last states in America to still use the vote-spoiling punch-card machines. And the Secretary of State of Ohio, J. Kenneth Blackwell, wrote before the election, “the possibility of a close election with punch cards as the state’s primary voting device invites a Florida-like calamity.”

But this week, Blackwell, a rabidly partisan Republican, has warmed up to the result of sticking with machines that have a habit of eating Democratic votes. When asked if he feared being this year's Katherine Harris, Blackwell noted that Ms. Fix-it's efforts landed her a seat in Congress.

Exactly how many votes were lost to spoilage this time? Blackwell's office, notably, won't say, though the law requires it be reported. Hmm. But we know that last time, the total of Ohio votes discarded reached a democracy-damaging 1.96 percent. The machines produced their typical loss—that's 110,000 votes—overwhelmingly Democratic.

The Impact Of Challenges

First and foremost, Kerry was had by chads. But the Democrat wasn't punched out by punch cards alone. There were also the 'challenges.' That's a polite word for the Republican Party of Ohio's use of an old Ku Klux Klan technique: the attempt to block thousands of voters of color at the polls. In Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida, the GOP laid plans for poll workers to ambush citizens under arcane laws—almost never used—allowing party-designated poll watchers to finger individual voters and demand they be denied a ballot. The Ohio courts were horrified and federal law prohibits targeting of voters where race is a factor in the challenge. But our Supreme Court was prepared to let Republicans stand in the voting booth door.

In the end, the challenges were not overwhelming, but they were there. Many apparently resulted in voters getting these funky "provisional" ballots—a kind of voting placebo—which may or may not be counted. Blackwell estimates there were 175,000; Democrats say 250,000. Pick your number. But as challenges were aimed at minorities, no one doubts these are, again, overwhelmingly Democratic. Count them up, add in the spoiled punch cards (easy to tally with the human eye in a recount), and the totals begin to match the exit polls; and, golly, you've got yourself a new president. Remember, Bush won by 136,483 votes in Ohio.

Enchanted State's Enchanted Vote

Now, on to New Mexico, where a Kerry plurality—if all votes are counted—is more obvious still. Before the election, in TomPaine.com, I wrote, "John Kerry is down by several thousand votes in New Mexico, though not one ballot has yet been counted."

How did that happen? It's the spoilage, stupid; and the provisional ballots.

CNN said George Bush took New Mexico by 11,620 votes. Again, the network total added up to that miraculous, and non-existent, '100 percent' of ballots cast.

New Mexico reported in the last race a spoilage rate of 2.68 percent, votes lost almost entirely in Hispanic, Native American and poor precincts—Democratic turf. From Tuesday's vote, assuming the same ballot-loss rate, we can expect to see 18,000 ballots in the spoilage bin.

Spoilage has a very Democratic look in New Mexico. Hispanic voters in the Enchanted State, who voted more than two to one for Kerry, are five times as likely to have their vote spoil as a white voter. Counting these uncounted votes would easily overtake the Bush 'plurality.'

Already, the election-bending effects of spoilage are popping up in the election stats, exactly where we'd expect them: in heavily Hispanic areas controlled by Republican elections officials. Chaves County, in the "Little Texas" area of New Mexico, has a 44 percent Hispanic population, plus African Americans and Native Americans, yet George Bush "won" there 68 percent to 31 percent.

I spoke with Chaves' Republican county clerk before the election, and he told me that this huge spoilage rate among Hispanics simply indicated that such people simply can't make up their minds on the choice of candidate for president. Oddly, these brown people drive across the desert to register their indecision in a voting booth.

Now, let's add in the effect on the New Mexico tally of provisional ballots.

"They were handing them out like candy," Albuquerque journalist Renee Blake reported of provisional ballots. About 20,000 were given out. Who got them?

Santiago Juarez who ran the "Faithful Citizenship" program for the Catholic Archdiocese in New Mexico, told me that "his" voters, poor Hispanics, whom he identified as solid Kerry supporters, were handed the iffy provisional ballots. Hispanics were given provisional ballots, rather than the countable kind "almost religiously," he said, at polling stations when there was the least question about a voter's identification. Some voters, Santiago said, were simply turned away.

Your Kerry Victory Party

So we can call Ohio and New Mexico for John Kerry—if we count all the votes.

But that won't happen. Despite the Democratic Party's pledge, the leadership this time gave in to racial disenfranchisement once again. Why? No doubt, the Democrats know darn well that counting all the spoiled and provisional ballots will require the cooperation of Ohio's Secretary of State, Blackwell. He will ultimately decide which spoiled and provisional ballots get tallied. Blackwell, hankering to step into Kate Harris' political pumps, is unlikely to permit anything close to a full count. Also, Democratic leadership knows darn well the media would punish the party for demanding a full count.

What now? Kerry won, so hold your victory party. But make sure the shades are down: it may be become illegal to demand a full vote count under PATRIOT Act III.

I used to write a column for the Guardian papers in London. Several friends have asked me if I will again leave the country. In light of the failure—a second time—to count all the votes, that won't be necessary. My country has left me.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won_.php

Diamond Sun
What a sad country. Sad, sad, country.

Reverend Blair
It's not even a country anymore. It's failing badly. Any semblance of democracy is gone, the leaders are corrupt, it is bankrupt, it is well on the way to becoming an an international pariah.

Palast is right. His country is gone.

HousesOfApollo
My country is gone, and I keep reaching and reaching and I can't find anything. All I hope for is that the rest of the world can unit against us, and help bring us down. So many people are going to die, I am sorry I couldn't stop this. Know that we tried, but you just can't go vote this kind of corruption out. Like I said before, I need to marry a nice Canadian girl...

Andem
Free Thinker
So Kerry won? I wish it could only be that simple. I'm quite sure that the democratic party should have demanded a full recount of the ballots in the state of Ohio. Last election, they messed around with Florida which was the deciding state, this time it's Ohio. When will this stop?

*frowns*

It's too bad the republican party did get popular vote this time

Andem
Free Thinker
HousesOfApollo: You can come live up here in Canada I can help you find a girl.. but peapod is much better at matchmaking than me :O

HousesOfApollo
You guys need to work on making Canada welcoming to Draft-dodgers. You need to find volunteer families that can take good Americans in. We don't deserve to have to live in this country. And you need to make Polygamy legal, so that one person can marry many others to make them Citizens.

Paranoid Dot Calm
Hey! Moghrabi

That was a good read.

If a persons vote doesn't count, they may as well sell it.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...ws/9969878.htm

When the trip happened with Dean and where he was mocked by the press for screaming at his supporters while rallying them, and when Kerry became the front runner, the fix was in.

This election was fought over who had the best record during the Vietnam era. Kerry had a 20 voting record to run from. The only reason Bush won in 2000 was because he was a nobody from Texas and had no voting history to speak of, except govenor.

Dean would of won this election hands down. He had nothing to hide from.

But, Americans now have another 4 years to find another Dean. Some Govenor without a political history or voting record.
http://www.gwynnedyer.net/articles/G...%20Chalice.txt

In the meantime, we can watch while Americans pour salt into each others wounds!

Calm

Reverend Blair
We do need to find a way to allow more American refugees in more easily. They shouldn;t have to marry strangers to do it either.

What are your qualifications etc. Apollo? We're always looking for skilled workers.

HousesOfApollo
I loved Dean, and I supported him. He should won, we would have stood a chance then. But we didn't lose this election, it was stolen, that must be remembered. It's absolutely unbearable, how bad I feel right now. I feel like going up to a Canadian bar--where I'm old enough to drink--and just drinking myself to death, that's how bad I feel and I can't help it.

HousesOfApollo
Unskilled workers certainly need to get married. Me, well I'd have to move as a student. I'm 19, nice and ripe for war. I could be nothing more than a student right now.

HousesOfApollo
Maybe I could learn to be something you guys really need, so you'll be happy to take me in.

Paranoid Dot Calm
This was never a political discussion/race between Democrats and
Republicans.

This was, plain and simple, a competition between secular
values and Christian-Taliban values.

I have noticed that CNN has a new fashion of playing with words to
disguise this fact -- "social values" --- never admitting they are in
fact the 'Christian Taliban' values of the 'Christian Right' ... the
creed of those like Falwell and Robertson.

What did you expect? The country was disturbingly unified ...
amplified by irrational fears of terrorism and the delusional fears of
Armageddon.

Whatever the case, the world had the mind that Bush was something of
an 'accidental' president ... selected as opposed to being elected.
But the American people have clearly made a choice now ... and the
world can see this plainly.

Now every American will be viewed by the rest of the world as
accomplices to this Taliban Christian regime and accordingly held
responsible for its delusional decisions. It will be every single
American citizen who will be held responsible for the continuing
horror of the Iraq War and the delusional armageddon crusade between
Islam and Christians. It will be every individual American who will be
blamed for the chaos and suffering and growth of terrorism during this
Bush regime. Americans will not be suffered any longer as victims of
the 'accidental' election of Bush in 2000 ... they will now be viewed
as supporters and as complicit to the Bush regime.

If I were an American, I would not be planning any vacations off-shore
for awhile ... none of you are safe anywhere now ... no excuses will
be offered on your behalf as before ... you have inherited the same
mantel, for example, that individual Jews have following the
democratic election of Sharon and his subsequent parade of mindless
religious mayhem.

Yes, Americans are now united ... but so is the rest of the world
becoming even more united against you and your foreign policies. Worse
than that: now we hold you individually and personally responsible for
the decisions of the Bush regime ... something we excused you of
before this recent election. It is no longer just a seething hate
against the decisions of the Bush Administration ... it will now
become a seething personal hate against every individual American.

Buy some Kevlar underwear if you plan an over-seas visit ... buy some
DuctTape if you plan to continue living near a terrorist target in
your neighbourhood ... you are now raw and vulnerable with no excuse
nor pity. When the next 9-11 occurs there will be no outpouring of
world-wide sympathy ... only the quiet stonefaced, "I told you so!".

HousesOfApollo
Hell yea, and we deserve it. We honestly deserve it. This country deserves to crash and burn.

peapod
Apollo Quadra island and denman island just off vancouver island is where lots of draft dodgers from the vietnam war settled. There are many. If they have a draft.....run and run fast

HousesOfApollo
Ha! Some say I wont because I took anti-depressants, but I don't believe that. If I do get drafted I'm going to be the most incompetent son of a bitch ever...

peapod
keep taking the pills :P

HousesOfApollo
Hell no, they screw up your nervous system...

Andem
Free Thinker
* detects a thread dedicated to HousesOfApollo coming up soon *

HousesOfApollo
I'm flattered. But I'm like a novelty around here. "It's the reasonable American!" *Circus side-show music playing*

Reverend Blair
You should come to school here then, Apollo. We have some pretty decent universities and the drinking age is 18 in most provinces (19 in Saskatchewan).

It'll keep you safe from the draft and my understanding is that student visas are pretty easy to get.

HousesOfApollo
I'll DEFINITELY look into it. Isn't it 19 in BC as well?

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by HousesOfApollo

I'm flattered. But I'm like a novelty around here. "It's the reasonable American!" *Circus side-show music playing*

Hmm, I would not label you the 'reasonable American' only because it is not reasonable to say you would like to see other countries invade your homeland and destroy it. Whatever is wrong with the US - and there is plenty - the solution sure doesn't lie in such a view.

The Americans who will get the US back on track one day are the ones who love what their country can be and have faith in the great things Americans have achieved. They see the huge problems and the corruption with eyes wide open, they see the ugliness yet remain optimistic that it can be changed. They don't give up, and they work their asses off to make the next four years bearable... and the four years after that, good.

HousesOfApollo
Well, I was kind of kidding when I said that Canada should invade. We're all having problems being reasonable here. Things are not looking like they can change, because all the functions that initiate change have been taken over by the enemy. Our voting system, they own; our media system, they own. And if John Ashcroft has his way, they'll own the internet too. I can't be sure that I'm not being watched right now, nobody can; it's an atmosphere of paranoia.

Haggis McBagpipe

Well, I was kind of kidding when I said that Canada should invade. We're all having problems being reasonable here. Things are not looking like they can change, because all the functions that initiate change have been taken over by the enemy. Our voting system, they own; our media system, they own. And if John Ashcroft has his way, they'll own the internet too. I can't be sure that I'm not being watched right now, nobody can; it's an atmosphere of paranoia.

Oh, I know you were kidding! I just meant that seriously, there are many Americans so upset with the US right now that they forget about the great things that are American. It is their - and your - responsibility to make sure that all the good things are still there for the next generation. You might not succeed, but you sure do want to try. The frustration, though, I sure can relate to that. Yesterday was the saddest day, pretty much around the world. It was gut-wrenching, and I cannot imagine what it must be like to actually live down there among people you know voted for Bush.

Anyway, sorry, I think my post didn't come across very well. 8-)

HousesOfApollo
I cannot speak to those people anymore, I want to cut them away like a cancer. A cannot look at them, I haven't gotten outside the house in about 2 days. I'm eating tons of junk food, and basically just posting on these forums all day. The people who rallied together to oppose Bush, that is all that is good about America, and it got crushed. America is made up of people, and most of those people are idiots. Bush won in every state with an average IQ of less than 100, and kerry won in every state with an IQ over 100. There were too many STUPID PEOPLE, and there's just now educating that kind of willful ignorance.

Reverend Blair
I'm not sure about BC...when I was young enough to worry about it I took a trip there with three friends. I don't remember most of it though. I remember trying to drive on mushrooms, I remember bailing Mike out of jail in Calgary, I remember being asked to leave a few campgrounds (one for being Sasquatch), but I don't remember what the drinking age was.

All the times I've been there since, I've been grown up and relatively well-behaved.

I think your country is going to have come apart a fair bit more before it joins the world community again, Apollo. People around the world are angry, palpably so. I feel sorry for the roughly 50% of Americans who are reasonable because they have to suffer doubly...under a regime they know is wrong and as those most likely to bear the brunt of the world's anger.

Haggis McBagpipe

I cannot speak to those people anymore, I want to cut them away like a cancer. A cannot look at them, I haven't gotten outside the house in about 2 days. I'm eating tons of junk food, and basically just posting on these forums all day. The people who rallied together to oppose Bush, that is all that is good about America, and it got crushed.

They sure didn't get crushed, Apollo. They took a hit... a really, really big hit, but just a hit nevertheless. Taking a hit means you can hit back. What is it they say, 'your country needs you'... well, one could say the half that you fought with needs you.

And ahem, not leaving the house and eating too much junk food and posting to forums day and night is NOT going to help get the US back on track. 8-) It might make you stop caring, though, and that is a bad thing.

HousesOfApollo
That's why they have to remember there is a resistance here, and that they have to support it. I completely understand their anger. The reasonable people are going to have to survive, we are not an INSIGNIFICANT MINORITY. We are, in fact, the majority. The votes were stolen from us by these electronic machines, the idiots just made it close enough to steal.

Wow! I bet that trip was fun. We went camping in Waterton earlier this year, and it was a blast! I don't know if I'll ever have that kind of fun anymore. And that's really sad.

HousesOfApollo
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

And ahem, not leaving the house and eating too much junk food and posting to forums day and night is NOT going to help get the US back on track. It might make you stop caring, though, and that is a bad thing.

Dammit! Let me have my mourning period! Mourning in America....