Trudeau: Canada to apologize for turning away Nazi-era ship of Jews

spaminator
Canadian Press
Published:
May 8, 2018
Updated:
May 8, 2018 11:29 PM EDT
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau participates in the National Prayer Breakfast in Ottawa on Tuesday, May 8, 2018.Justin Tang / THE CANADIAN PRESS
TORONTO — Canada will formally apologize for turning away a boat full of Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany in 1939, resulting in scores of them dying, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.
In a well-received speech to a sold-out Jewish fundraising event, Trudeau said the decision by Canada to force the German ocean liner “MS St. Louis” to return to Europe was a blight on our collective past.
“An apology in the House of Commons will not rewrite this shameful chapter of our history,” Trudeau said. “It will not bring back those who perished or repair the lives shattered by tragedy. But it is our hope that this long overdue apology will bring awareness to our failings, as we vow to never let history repeat itself.”
In the run-up to the Second World War and the ensuing Holocaust, the Canadian government heeded anti-Semitic sentiment by severely restricting Jewish immigration. From 1933 to 1945, only about 5,000 Jewish refugees were accepted due to what Trudeau called “our discriminatory ’none is too many’ immigration policy” in place at the time.
He called the turning away of the ship a “most egregious” example of the misguided policy.
The “St. Louis” was carrying 907 German Jews fleeing Nazi persecution. Its captain, Gustav Schröder, tried in vain to find homes for his passengers. In addition to Cuba, the United States also turned away the refugees.
MS St. Louis in Hamburg, Germany, prior to departure for Cuba in May 1939. Canada will formally apologize for turning away a boat full of Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany in 1939, resulting in scores of them dying, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday. HO / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Forced to return to Europe, 254 of those aboard eventually died in the slaughter that became the Holocaust.
“We cannot turn away from this uncomfortable truth, and Canada’s part in it,” Trudeau said. “We must learn from this story, and let its lessons guide our actions going forward.”
The March of the Living program has seen thousands of Holocaust survivors and others travel to Poland to honour the memory of the six million Jews murdered by the Nazis in concentration camps.
Trudeau spoke eloquently of his own pilgrimage to Auschwitz, the infamous concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland.
“We stared at the barbed wire fences that once separated the enslaved from their captors. We marched along the railways that delivered so many Jews to their deaths,” Trudeau said.
“My visit to Auschwitz will forever stay with me and guide my time — as prime minister, but also as a father, husband, son, brother and citizen.”
In a statement, the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Centre applauded Trudeau’s announcement as a “meaningful step” toward acknowledging the shameful chapter.
“While an apology can never change the past, it can awaken the national conscience to ensure such grave mistakes are never repeated in the future,” centre president Avi Benlolo said.
Trudeau also said recent figures indicate 17 per cent of all hate crimes in Canada target Jewish people. He said it pained him that Jews “more than any other religious group” are the victims of hate crimes.
“We need to do more, as a society, to end xenophobic and anti-Semitic attitudes that still take root in our communities, in our schools, and in our places of work,” the prime minister said.
The Toronto-based Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs also applauded Trudeau’s announcement.
“A formal apology will be a powerful statement to Holocaust survivors and their families, including St. Louis passengers who live in Canada today, said CIJA CEO Shimon Koffler Fogel in a statement.
“It will also affirm Canada’s continued vigilance in the ongoing fight against antisemitism.”
Trudeau said he looked forward to offering the apology himself on the floor of the House of Commons, but he gave no date. The audience applauded loudly at the announcement.
Tuesday was the first official recognition of May as Jewish Heritage Month, a designation passed by the Commons earlier this year.
The fundraiser raised more than $1.1 million.
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/05/08/...-louis-apology
Trudeau: Canada to apologize for turning away Nazi-era ship of Jews | Toronto Sun

DaSleeper
+2
Now I expect the weatherman to apologize for the rain outside that will make the grass grow and make me work at mowing the lawn....

Apologies seem to be the "in" thing for the fair speech brigade.....

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
Canada wasn't the only country that turned the ship away. We'll be the only one to appologize, though.

Hoid
The US officially apologized in 2012

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The US officially apologized in 2012

Meh, I'm OK with apologies. Don't hurt nothing, and if it makes some people feel better, why not?

Besides, ain't "Sore-ree" the official motto of Canada?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

We're working 'round the clock to incorporate an apology into the national anthem.

Sorry that we're a little delinquent on that front

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

We're working 'round the clock to incorporate an apology into the national anthem.

Sorry that we're a little delinquent on that front

How bout

Wth glowing hearts we see the rise
The True North strong and free
Just want to say
To one and all "Sore-ree"

By the way, you should get them glowing hearts looked at. That can't be good for y'all.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+1

How bout

Wth glowing hearts we see the rise
The True North strong and free
Just want to say
To one and all "Sore-ree"

By the way, you should get them glowing hearts looked at. That can't be good for y'all.

I've often wondered about your anthem. Who the hell is Jose, and what exactly is a 'Don Surly light'?

Hoid
its kind of strange that the Harper government didn't apologize in 2012 too while the apologizing was hot.

Thought Harper was a staunch supporter of the Israelites.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Canada wasn't the only country that turned the ship away. We'll be the only one to appologize, though.

Wrong Again!

(Also there is only one "P" in apologize.)

Tell me more about your education system please.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

I've often wondered about your anthem. Who the hell is Jose, and what exactly is a 'Don Surly light'?

No, no! It's "Don's early light." Don went out for a smoke first thing in the morning, and the author thought he saw something in the flare of the match.

Dumb Canuck.

Gilgamesh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Canadian Press
Published:
May 8, 2018
Updated:
May 8, 2018 11:29 PM EDT
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau participates in the National Prayer Breakfast in Ottawa on Tuesday, May 8, 2018.Justin Tang / THE CANADIAN PRESS
TORONTO — Canada will formally apologize for turning away a boat full of Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany in 1939, resulting in scores of them dying, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.
In a well-received speech to a sold-out Jewish fundraising event, Trudeau said the decision by Canada to force the German ocean liner “MS St. Louis” to return to Europe was a blight on our collective past.
“An apology in the House of Commons will not rewrite this shameful chapter of our history,” Trudeau said. “It will not bring back those who perished or repair the lives shattered by tragedy. But it is our hope that this long overdue apology will bring awareness to our failings, as we vow to never let history repeat itself.”
In the run-up to the Second World War and the ensuing Holocaust, the Canadian government heeded anti-Semitic sentiment by severely restricting Jewish immigration. From 1933 to 1945, only about 5,000 Jewish refugees were accepted due to what Trudeau called “our discriminatory ’none is too many’ immigration policy” in place at the time.
He called the turning away of the ship a “most egregious” example of the misguided policy.
The “St. Louis” was carrying 907 German Jews fleeing Nazi persecution. Its captain, Gustav Schröder, tried in vain to find homes for his passengers. In addition to Cuba, the United States also turned away the refugees.
MS St. Louis in Hamburg, Germany, prior to departure for Cuba in May 1939. Canada will formally apologize for turning away a boat full of Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany in 1939, resulting in scores of them dying, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday. HO / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Forced to return to Europe, 254 of those aboard eventually died in the slaughter that became the Holocaust.
“We cannot turn away from this uncomfortable truth, and Canada’s part in it,” Trudeau said. “We must learn from this story, and let its lessons guide our actions going forward.”
The March of the Living program has seen thousands of Holocaust survivors and others travel to Poland to honour the memory of the six million Jews murdered by the Nazis in concentration camps.
Trudeau spoke eloquently of his own pilgrimage to Auschwitz, the infamous concentration camp in Nazi-occupied Poland.
“We stared at the barbed wire fences that once separated the enslaved from their captors. We marched along the railways that delivered so many Jews to their deaths,” Trudeau said.
“My visit to Auschwitz will forever stay with me and guide my time — as prime minister, but also as a father, husband, son, brother and citizen.”
In a statement, the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Centre applauded Trudeau’s announcement as a “meaningful step” toward acknowledging the shameful chapter.
“While an apology can never change the past, it can awaken the national conscience to ensure such grave mistakes are never repeated in the future,” centre president Avi Benlolo said.
Trudeau also said recent figures indicate 17 per cent of all hate crimes in Canada target Jewish people. He said it pained him that Jews “more than any other religious group” are the victims of hate crimes.
“We need to do more, as a society, to end xenophobic and anti-Semitic attitudes that still take root in our communities, in our schools, and in our places of work,” the prime minister said.
The Toronto-based Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs also applauded Trudeau’s announcement.
“A formal apology will be a powerful statement to Holocaust survivors and their families, including St. Louis passengers who live in Canada today, said CIJA CEO Shimon Koffler Fogel in a statement.
“It will also affirm Canada’s continued vigilance in the ongoing fight against antisemitism.”
Trudeau said he looked forward to offering the apology himself on the floor of the House of Commons, but he gave no date. The audience applauded loudly at the announcement.
Tuesday was the first official recognition of May as Jewish Heritage Month, a designation passed by the Commons earlier this year.
The fundraiser raised more than $1.1 million.
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2018/05/08/...-louis-apology
Trudeau: Canada to apologize for turning away Nazi-era ship of Jews | Toronto Sun

Only 70 years late. Most of them ended up in Auschwitz & Dacheau.

Operative word being, ENDED

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

Only 70 years late. Most of them ended up in Auschwitz & Dacheau.

Operative word being, ENDED

Better Dachau than Auschwitz.

Dachau wasn't a death camp. FYI.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1

It was der holidaykamp like ze Butlins, ja?

Zinging around der ovenfires, ja?

Gilgamesh
+1

Most people died in Dacheau. They weren't gassed, just worked to death.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Macht frei, ja?

Tecumsehsbones

If it's good enough for blacks and Indians. . .

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It was der holidaykamp like ze Butlins, ja?

Zinging around der ovenfires, ja?

Sigh. Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Buchenwald were the death camps.

IdRatherBeSkiing
I suspect most of the adults are dead by now even if they weren't killed by the Nazis. Only the kids would still be around (again if not killed by the Nazis).

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I suspect most of the adults are dead by now even if they weren't killed by the Nazis. Only the kids would still be around (again if not killed by the Nazis).

Had one living in my building. Tattooed number on her arm and everything. We'd speak German together.

I tried to have her deported, but the spineless, bleeding-heart liberals gave her citizenship back in the 50s.

She passed a coupla years back. Probably coulda got her citizenship revoked and her deported under Trump.

darkbeaver
Republican
I hope we would turn them away today.

I hope we get the chance.

I hope Iran makes it happen,

taxslave
Free Thinker

Meh, I'm OK with apologies. Don't hurt nothing, and if it makes some people feel better, why not?

Can't appologize for something that happened long before I was even born.

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I hope we would turn them away today.

I hope we get the chance.

Iran makes what 'happen'?

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

IT...It's a relatively common term "it" is.

BTW...There are NO term limits.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Can't appologize for something that happened long before I was even born.

The apology isn't the issue, it's the following demand for cash compensation to a spineless gvt that will fall over themselves to write cheques.

I cal it The Khadr Effect

OpposingDigit
I'd like to know the reasons or the sentiment expressed by both government and population at the time.

Does anybody know the facts? It just can't be that everyone was born an anti-semitic or that they consumed too much fake news at the time.

I tend to believe that there was a huge bias against the Jewish Folks because of their prominent role within the financial sector prior to the Stock Market collapse of 1929 and the Great Depression.
Last edited by OpposingDigit; May 10th, 2018 at 09:17 AM..

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

I'd like to know the reasons or the sentiment expressed by both government and population at the time.

Does anybody know the facts? It just can't be that everyone was born an anti-semitic or that they consumed too much fake news at the time.

I tend to believe that there was a huge bias against the Jewish Folks because of their prominent role within the financial sector prior to the Stock Market collapse of 1929 and the Great Depression.

So you do not think Trudeau should have to apologize?

darkbeaver
Republican

The destruction of Israel and the crime of zionism declared the worst crime against humanity. And that would be the greatest of gifts to long suffering humanity.

EagleSmack
Great showing of the AA last night.

OpposingDigit
Hi! EagleSmack

You asked if I thought that the Trudeau should apologize to the Jewish Folks?

My Reply:

I really don't care if he did or did not. It was almost a century ago. The Palestinian People are enduring a holocaust at this very moment in history. I might feel a bit more sympathy towards the Jewish Folks if they had not committed the exact same crimes that Trudeau is apologizing for.

What really puts me over the edge is that at the same time (1948-1949) when the world was parading pictures of holocaust survivors within the media, the Prime Minister of the newly formed government of Israel was promoting and encouraging a holocaust against the Palestinian's.

These are the words spoken by the very first Prime Minister of Israel ....

“We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population.”
–-David Ben-Gurion, May 1948, to the General Staff. From Ben-Gurion, A Biography, by Michael Ben-Zohar, Delacorte, New York 1978--
--Israel Koenig, advisor to the Israeli Knesset, The Koenig Memorandum (Al Hamishmar newspaper, September 7, 1976)--

The holocaust against the Arabs was actually foretold by David Ben-Gurion in 1937 ....

"The compulsory transfer of Arabs from the proposed Jewish State could give us something we never had ... Any doubt on our part about the necessity of the transfer ... may lose us an historic opportunity."
"We will expel the Arabs and take their place."
Letter from David Ben-Gurion to his son Amos
Obtained from the Ben-Gurion Archives in Hebrew, and translated into English
by the Institute of Palestine Studies, Beirut
October 05, 1937

That is almost exactly the kind of statements which Hitler screamed when speaking about the Jewish Folks!

And worse ..... Ben-Gurion said this at the same time that our media was parading holocaust victims across the universe and showing Jewish Folks crying and screaming “Never Again”.

In 1948, with Hitler dead less then 3 years, .... At the very heart of the newly formed country of Israel, .... at the highest levels of government, .... within the Israeli cabinet, the Jewish folks were actually talking about committing a holocaust against the Arabs and which is the exact same crimes as Hitler was being chastised for.

Following the Hitler Trip and the horrible experiences of the Jews, many left Europe and invested heavily into media and Hollywood.

It was some of these people who "Fabricated" American history on film. Some of the same people who had just experienced and fled from the discrimination, stereotyping and racism by Hitler, only to commit the identical crime in America .... and making films about black and native indians in North America.

Hollywood committed huge harm to Aboriginals and Blacks.

They were said to be inhuman and a bunch of savages.

Blacks as a criminal element and Aboriginals as untrustworthy with forked-tongues.
Last edited by OpposingDigit; May 12th, 2018 at 11:05 AM..

White_Unifier

And it doesn't burden the taxpayer too much except for the time spent apologizing in Parliament that could have been invested elsewhere. Meh.