Trans Mountain ‘pipeline is going to get built’: Trudeau dismisses B.C.’s bitumen ban

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Do you own a car Cliffy? Use anything at all that is plastic?

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Hoid
cars and plastic are important - therefore **** everything else

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

cars and plastic are important - therefore **** everything else

If your position is to stop producing oil 100% ("leave it in the ground"), then you better not be expecting to operate a gas powered vehicle or use any petroleum products otherwise you may be a hypocrite.

Hoid
I do not expect that anyone will be operating a gas vehicle for much longer.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

LOL Right. Electric vehicles are so convenient and cheap.

Hoid
Electric vehicles are here regardless of your precious feelings.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Yeah right. How many are you driving?

Hoid
Well let's see.

My golf cart is electric.

20 years ago all golf carts were gas. Now you cannot find a gas cart because they are so inferior to electric.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

They are just a "flash in the pan"!

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3

Well let's see.

20 years ago all golf carts were gas. Now you cannot find a gas cart because they are so inferior to electric.

Golf carts tend not to travel huge distances. Electric carts make sense and are likely practical than bringing in a gas supply to the golf course and cheaper for the operators. If only we only were driving for only 18 holes in real life.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

No, there will likely continue to be a small % of electrical vehicles. Perhaps that percentage will increase over time if they overcome their infrastructure, cost and cold weather issues.

Hoid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._fuel_vehicles

list of countries banning gas vehicles.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._fuel_vehicles

list of countries banning gas vehicles.

Glad I don't live in one of those countries. I sure hope they make improvements to their power grids to handle all that extra load. I don't think any of those are cold weather countries except maybe Norway. I suspect a fair number of citizens would just go to their neighbouring country and buy a new gas vehicle if they so desired. Of course the earliest listed is 2025. I will see in 2025 if they actually follow through or give an extension.

Hoid
You know as much about geography as you know about technology.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

If your position is to stop producing oil 100% ("leave it in the ground"), then you better not be expecting to operate a gas powered vehicle or use any petroleum products otherwise you may be a hypocrite.

Another stupid argument. We're talking about tar sands crap here, that is going to be exported. It has nothing to do with our cars or plastic. A far superior and bio-degradable plastic can be made from hemp oil. All you oil addicts seem to have graduated from the same brainwashing academy. Wake the fukk up.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

The future is COAL, Sonny!

taxslave
Free Thinker

We have the smarts to understand that it cannot be built given modern environmental law.

Then the laws must be changed before stupidity kills the economy.

Well let's see.

The first electric car was built in 1832. How much market share have they garnered in 1oo years?

JamesBondo
+2

Well let's see.

first off, you are lying. there are gas carts and they are not inferior. they go farther and faster and operate with lower maintenance costs and less problems than the elctric carts.

We have the smarts to understand that it cannot be built given modern environmental law.

I agree that is your opinion. you are wrong as always.

I think you live in a fools paradise.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet my first born!

Decapoda
+3

Good to hear, that's what many electric vehicles ultimately run on in a lot of areas. Funny how some people think electricity comes from the wall outlet, delusional but funny...

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

first off, you are lying. there are gas carts and they are not inferior. they go farther and faster and operate with lower maintenance costs and less problems than the elctric carts.

I agree that is your opinion. you are wrong as always.

I think you live in a fools paradise.

Maybe not the "brightest candle on the cake"

Decapoda
+2

Well let's see.

Don't know how far your daily commute to work is, mine's 75km one way. Thermometer is reading -25°c with windchill at -39°c this morning. don't think your golf cart is going to cut it.

petros
+2

Well let's see.

Oh yes indeed you can buy a brand new gas golf cart.

Another stupid argument. We're talking about tar sands crap here, that is going to be exported. It has nothing to do with our cars or plastic. A far superior and bio-degradable plastic can be made from hemp oil. All you oil addicts seem to have graduated from the same brainwashing academy. Wake the fukk up.

Sorry wrong again.

LAWSUIT: PLASTIC IN NEW CARS ATTRACTING RATS
Do you have warning lights and costly car repairs? Rodent damage could be the culprit behind your next break down.

Author:
John Bartell
Published:
12:41 PM PST February 21, 2017

Do you have warning lights and costly car repairs? Rodent damage could be the culprit behind your next break down.

A class action lawsuit claims the type of plastic used in new cars could be attracting vermin that eat the wires.

"I never could figure out where the stuff came from until I saw the rat," said Barbara Olm. On more than one occasion a tiny hitch hiker made a meal out of the wiring in Olm’s 2012 Lexus.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1

The new micro refinery approved in Stoughton Sask. is a myth?

petros
+1
Apparently. The ground breaking ceremony with Natives in full fancy dance regalia was staged for TV.

Specs for a 2018 Yamaha golf cart engine:

CODE:JC0
TYPE:Yamaha-built, 357 cc, low-emission single cylinder 60° incline OHV
TOTAL DISPLACEMENT:357
BORE X STROKE:85 x 63
COMPRESSION RATIO:8:1
MAXIMUM OUTPUT (KW/RPM):8.5/11.4 hp
MAXIMUM TORQUE (NM/RPM):25.5/2500
COOLING SYSTEM:Forced Cooling
FUEL SYSTEM:Electronic Fuel Injection
STARTING SYSTEM:Starter/Generator
IGNITION SYSTEM:Transistor
TYPE OF CARBURETOR:SPECIAL DESIGN FOR JC0 (AISAN)
TYPE OF AIR CLEANER:Two-stage, urethane-foam pre-cleaner, and high-capacity pleated paper cartridge
TYPE OF IGNITION PLUG:BPR2ES/BPR4ES
OIL CAPACITY:1 liter, 1000 cc (1 U.S. quart)
FUEL CONSUMPTION G/KWH:294
BALANCER TYPE:Single shaft
DIMENSIONS (LXWXH):430x365x350

Yamaha Golf-Car Company
1270 Chastain Road
Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
866-747-4027

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

Nope. Electric are cheaper to operate. Most courses are switching or have switched to electric. Our course was all gas but we've replaced 60% of our fleet with electric with the plan to become fully electric. My personal cart is electric. Wouldn't drive a gas unless I was parking it at the course with no means of recharging.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2

Yeah dude, wake the f*ck up. First off, ALL plastics are biodegradable, even petroleum based plastics. Secondly, hemp is not only rather water intensive, in many areas it requires fertilizer and guess where that comes from. And third, biodegradable plastics have the same problem as any other plastic, the same micro-plastics are left over.

Finally, producing bioplastics isn’t petroleum free, even if the source material is agricultural. To make plastic out of starch (for example), petroleum is used to farm, harvest, transport, and process the crop, to fertilize, to make pesticides and to spray the land. In addition, genetically modified crops are often used which have an unknown effect on the ecosystem.
Materials to produce bioplastics come from industrial farming, which reduces natural diversity and promotes desertification. Still, the biggest problem is using land suitable for growing food to make products like packaging that are easily substituted. Especially when comparing the environmental effect of producing traditional plastic and bioplastics – the production of bioplastics uses only about 25% less fossil fuel than regular plastic.

Estiko Plastar, one of the leading manufacturers of plastic packaging in the Baltics, no longer emphasizes the production of bioplastics, although they have the capability and technology for it. Their main reasons for stopping production are the negative side effects related to biodegrading plastic. According to scientists it’s ecological footprint is 1.7 times bigger than when using petroleum-based polyethylene granules (if you take into account the whole production cycle beginning with the fuel used for farming).

Bio-degradable plastics also release methane as they degrade. Most facilities do not capture that methane to re-use for heat and power so it gets released straight into the atmosphere. Biodegradable plastic, which is composed of carbon compounds, would ideally decompose into CO2 and water. In reality the decomposition of biodegradable plastic depends on the environment it ends up in. So even under ideal decomposing conditions, bioplastics still release CO2. Or did you forget that plants are CO2 storage facilities?

Nothing is green, buddy. There's no free lunch when it comes to the environment.

petros
+2
Any oil seed can be used to make plastic.

Autos for the most part are recycled.

Every year, over 25 million tons of materials are recycled from old vehicles.
Automobiles are the most recycled consumer product in the world today.
The car recycling Industry is the 16th largest in the United States, contributing $25 billion per year to the national GDP. The US automotive recycling industry employs around 100,000 people and earns around $25 billion a year. There are around 7,000 vehicle recycling facilities around the USA.
Every year, automobile recycling industry in USA and Canada provides sufficient steel to produce roughly 13 million new vehicles.
In the U.S., nearly 12 million cars are recycled. This number makes cars the most recycled item in the country.
In Europe, every year, nearly eight million vehicles are recycled.
Every year, the North American automotive recycling industry saves around 85 million barrels of oil from getting used in making new or replacement auto parts.
The current international automotive recycling industry is about 75 years old.
According to reports, the gross annual revenue in 1997 in USA was $7.05 billion and in Canada was $1.15 billion. In the same year, auto recyclers in USA and Canada acquired approximately 4.7 million vehicles for recycling. In that year, 6 million car tires and 11 millions of car oil were recycled. And automotive recyclers spent approximately $50 million on environmental compliance.

Across North America, automotive recycling provides around 40 percent of ferrous metal for scrap processing industry.
Every year, the amount of hazardous fluids and oils reclaimed safely by auto recyclers is equal to 8 Exxon Valdez disasters!
Most auto recyclers are small businesses. More than 75 percent of all automotive recycling companies employ about 10 people.
Automotive recyclers supply retail and wholesale customers with quality auto parts that cost 20 percent to 80 percent less than comparable new auto parts.
Every year, more than 14 million tons of recycled steel in derived from junk vehicles. On an average, a car has around 25 percent of body made from recycled steel.
Every year, around 27 million cars that reach the end of their useful life from around the world are recovered for recycling.
Just about 80 percent of a vehicle (by weight) is recycled and the remaining 20 percent that can’t be recycled is termed as “auto shredder residue (ASR)” which includes ferrous and nonferrous metal pieces, dirt, glass, fabric, paper, wood, rubber and plastic. Every year, around 5 million tons of ASR is disposed of in landfills.
In Europe, 75 percent of a car is recycled; making the ASR items 25 percent of the car. According to an estimate, in Europe, recycling facilities will recycle 95 percent of each car, by weight.
Approximately 90 percent of aluminum of a vehicle is recovered and recycled. Although this aluminum recovered from old vehicle represents less than 10% the vehicle by weight, it accounts for nearly 50 percent vehicle’s scrap value.
Automotive recycling industry supplies around 37 percent of all ferrous metal to blast furnaces and smelters across the United States of America.
Approximately 98- 99 percent of car batteries can be recycled. But most car owners simply return their car battery to the shop from where they replace car battery.
Car tire recycling is viable and material can be used to produce sandals and roadways.
Automotive recycling reduces accident rates by buying out of order vehicles from the road and keeping roads and highways clear of disabled and abandoned automobiles.
Increasingly, car windshield recycling is becoming practiced.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

Good to hear, that's what many electric vehicles ultimately run on in a lot of areas. Funny how some people think electricity comes from the wall outlet, delusional but funny...

I have an atomic powered toaster in the kitchen!

Hoid
“The EV revolution is going to hit the car market even harder and faster than BNEF predicted a year ago. EVs are on track to accelerate to 54% of new car sales by 2040. Tumbling battery prices mean that EVs will have lower lifetime costs, and will be cheaper to buy, than internal combustion engine (ICE) cars in most countries by 2025-29.”

https://about.bnef.com/electric-vehicle-outlook/

You can choose to believe what you want to believe or you can choose to inform yourself.

petros
+1

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet my first born!

Coal is being conserved for steel making and graphite.

Natural gas. Super cheap and enough to last thousands of years.

You can choose to believe what you want to believe or you can choose to inform yourself.

Priceless.