Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Hoid
hardley dangerson trying to save their failing business with an e bike for 2019
Last edited by Hoid; Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:18 PM..

OpposingDigit
If we now have problems dealing with discarded car batteries and flashlight batteries because of environmental concerns, how are we going to deal with electric car batteries?

Hoid
Upcoming electric cars in 2018: From Tata Tigor EV, Tiago EV, Renault Kwid electric, Mahindra KUV100, Nissan Leaf and more

Amazing lineup of eCars on the way from different manufacturers.

Tesla is just the tip of the ice berg.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Upcoming electric cars in 2018: From Tata Tigor EV, Tiago EV, Renault Kwid electric, Mahindra KUV100, Nissan Leaf and more

Amazing lineup of eCars on the way from different manufacturers.

Tesla is just the tip of the ice berg.

What is their overall market share? It looks good for manufacturers to have a nice electric vehicle in the showroom. People feel all warm and fuzzy knowing somebody else is buying one while they buy their Camry or Corolla or Accord.

Hoid
If change scares you you might as well pack it in.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

Didn't expect you to have any real stats to back your conjectures up. You are living in some sort of delusional dream world.

Hoid
There is no stat that will cure stupid.

If you don't get that electric vehicles are the future that's your problem, not mine. I could not care less.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

What is their overall market share? It looks good for manufacturers to have a nice electric vehicle in the showroom. People feel all warm and fuzzy knowing somebody else is buying one while they buy their Camry or Corolla or Accord.

Or hopefully G.M. Ford or Chrysler!

IdRatherBeSkiing

There is no stat that will cure stupid.

If you don't get that electric vehicles are the future that's your problem, not mine. I could not care less.

They are not the near future. Completely impracticable for me now as for a lot of people. The length of time that future is from now I suspect is farther than you believe.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Or hopefully G.M. Ford or Chrysler!

Why would I support American automobiles? A Toyota has as much a chance of being built in Canada as a GM. And much better cars.

JLM

I think most people like change if it's for the better. We haven't really seen anything in these electric vehicles that is an improvement, except for the fact they burn less gas.

They are not the near future. Completely impracticable for me now as for a lot of people. The length of time that future is from now I suspect is farther than you believe.

Why would I support American automobiles? A Toyota has as much a chance of being built in Canada as a GM. And much better cars.

Well equally as good. We have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe that we've driven virtually trouble free for 9 years. It's pretty much exactly the same thing as the Toyota Matrix.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Well equally as good. We have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe that we've driven virtually trouble free for 9 years. It's pretty much exactly the same thing as the Toyota Matrix.

It was a joint venture. All done now.

We had a 2008 Pontiac G5 (it was cheap with good financing). Nothing but trouble. We just bought a new Corolla.

Hoid

They are not the near future. .

I agree. They are the present.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Right. If you are in Norway maybe They are all the way up to 21% usage. Not even 1% market share in Canada. And the percentage of market share has not changed over 3 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...use_by_country

Dream on.

Hoid
what could be moe fun than arguing about technology with an idiot?

I wait. I know.

JLM

I wait. I know.

It probably depends on what kind of idiot you are!

I think you missed the correct thread, Hoid. If you go to "Member's Lounge" you should see the "Jokes" thread!

pgs

I wait. I know.

What is more fun says the idiot. . Proof reading is your friend .

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

What is more fun says the idiot. . Proof reading is your friend .

Electric cars will be sold ONLY so long as LIE-berals throw MASSIVE subsidies at businesses and at buyers! No subsidies means NO electric cars! Consider:

Here is a nice article illustrating ALL that is wrong with LIE-beral energy policy, along with some comments of my own in brackets):

General Motors Co. stands to lose as much as $9,000 on every Chevrolet Bolt that leaves a showroom once the all-electric subcompact starts rolling out. Sounds crazy, but the damage makes perfect business sense under the no pain, no gain policy driving the electric-vehicle boom in the U.S.

(Yes, its LIE-beral logic to TRY to force people to buy something they don’t want and which they cannot use as necessary because the piece of crap lacks the range or cargo carrying capacity necessary for Cdn living!)

California crafted the doctrine, with tough clean-air rules and a mandate that automakers sell some non-polluting vehicles if they want to do business in the Golden State. Nine others have adopted it, New York and New Jersey among them, and all told they make up close to 30 percent of the U.S. market. That goes a long way to explaining why zero-emissions models from more than 10 brands are on the roads, with more on the way. Most are destined to be loaded with red ink for their makers, but they’ll be great deals for consumers as companies unload them to meet their targets.

(Lets consider some of the things electric cars WON’T do: We have all seen gas cars towing trailers, all seen gas cars with bicycles strapped to roof or trunk, all seen cars with cargo carriers strapped to the roof-and WHO has done ANY REAL calculations regarding how far your electric car will go on one charge AFTER you screw up the aerodynamics and load it for a holiday? Then there are all those questions about how to car pool with something that WON’T hold a group of kids because there ain’t enough room for kids and sports gear etc? That translates into MORE cars on the roads. )

BC-GM-S-READY-TO-LOSE-9-000-A-POP-AND-CHASE-THE-ELECTRIC- CAR-BOOM© David Welch and John Lippert

While the Trump administration may dilute federal programs that take aim at carbon-dioxide spewing cars, California won’t be backing down, certainly not during Governor Jerry Brown’s term. The most populous state is such a powerhouse -- roughly one in eight new vehicles was registered there in the first half of the year -- that companies will keep spitting out electrics for the privilege of selling everything else in their lineups.

“California will continue to act as the ballast, as the center of gravity, for clean air and climate policies in the U.S.,” said Levi Tillemann, author of “The Great Race,” a book on the future of automobile technology. “Trump will thrust the state back into the role of clean-air crusader, and that’s a banner a lot of people in California don’t mind carrying.’’

Ludicrous Idea?

(I say yes! Airplanes currently produce 75 percent of all pollution related to transportation-that means, trains, buses, ships, cars and trucks-whether hauling people or cargo. We can clear the air simply by discouraging people from flying so often and we do that by cutting back on civil service Hog gravy-NO NEED to screw up the lives of countless people over this electric car crap since the only people who will buy electric cars are the wealthy Hogs who have the shortest commute anyway! What Cdn would buy an electric car knowing that his commute was very close to the maximum range of an electric car and knowing that batteries become less efficient as they age? If your gas car runs out of fuel you can get a gas can to refuel easily-but if you get caught in a snow storm or road closure due to accident ahead and your battery dies then what? Other than to call a tow truck and wait while YOUR dead car blocks the road and screws up the commute for others in THEIR electric cars with wilting batteries-talk about a domino effect! Nobody is asking: what happens if you run the heater/defroster and headlights for a extra hour or two as often happens in Toronto on snow days?)

Where it’ll get interesting is over the next decade or so. The states’ rules are set to tighten so that zero-emission vehicles, or ZEVs, will have to rise to an estimated 15.4 percent of sales by 2025, some five times the current level.

(There is the BIG LIE-zero emission cars that actually have a substantial carbon foot print! LIE-berals are touting their green energy bullshit as a way to clean the air but its carbon crap they are producing-green energy actually has a HIGHER carbon footprint than natural gas fueled electric generation thanks to how unreliable green energy is-LIE-berals must keep natural gas plants fully fueled and ready to take over when green energy fails-the sun behind a cloud or a gust of wind fades. LIE-berals are trying to FORCE a ZEV market into existence so they can use green energy as a giant slush fund to reward their pals! It was NEVER about the environment-its ALL MONEY FOR HOGS!)

The hurdles may go higher: Brown, a Democrat with two years left in his term, signed a law ordering greenhouse-gas emissions be 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030. To get there, ZEVs, plug-in hybrids or fuel-cell cars like Honda Motor Co.’s Clarity may have to comprise 40 percent of sales, up from about 3 percent now, according to California Air Resources Board staff projections.

(That`s nice-LIE-beral Dalton McGinty signed a law saying “NO MORE tax increases” and then hit us with the health levy-the biggest tax hit in Ontari-owe history! And it’s a levy that HOGS DON’T PAY-its in their govt contract!

Can that really happen? “The idea that automakers will sell 40 percent of their vehicles at a loss in California is ludicrous,” said Eric Noble, president of the CarLab, a consulting company in Orange, California, who reckons most electric cars lose at least $10,000 per sale.

(Somebody ought to warn these LIE-beral morons that Lithium batteries are highly flammable-crack the battery case in a car crash-or the battery case in your now recalled SAMSUNG PHONE-and the exposed contents burst into flames-with NO fire dept currently equipped or trained to deal with Lithium battery fires! Right now-Tesla Motors is experimenting with battery cases to find out how THIN and CHEAP and LIGHT can they be made without causing too many fire balls when cars crash-as they inevitably do! Anybody happy about buying the 21st century equivalent of a Ford PINTO?)

(Even worse-Lithium is HIGHLY toxic and it appears we are simply replacing oil pollution with the Lithium version-at HUGE COST!)

The industry’s willing to take the hit on a small scale now. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s battery-powered Fiat 500e is made for California alone, and Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne said in 2014 that it was losing $14,000 per sale. The company’s pretty much giving it away, at a monthly lease-rate of as little as $69. Nissan Motor Co. has advertised lease deals for the Leaf at as low as $149.

Of course, the industry might figure out how to make ZEVs into money makers, once the charging-station infrastructure is built out and as battery costs fall. Global demand seems sure to rise, with major economies, including China, having recognized climate change as a threat and tailpipe-emissions from gas-powered autos as a chief contributor.

(Sadly, battery costs are NOT falling at this time. Lithium is a rare element and with increased demand comes increased cost. Add in the extravagant engineering needed to make an ultra light battery and ultra light car for maximum range and you have HIGHER COSTS! Think of a highway speed collision between a Smart Car and a pickup truck-any guesses on which driver will be safer? And which driver maimed or dead? The smaller and lighter the electric car-the better the range and the POORER the crash safety rating!)

The U.S. has a ZEV incentive of its own, offering a $7,500 tax credit to buyers, and also gives credits to manufacturers to reward them for cars that meet greenhouse-gas reduction targets set by the Obama administration.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, the industry’s main trade group, has asked Trump to consider their state ZEV costs when evaluating the feasibility of rules set under President Barack Obama to boost average fuel economy standards by 2025. Over the next eight years, the electric-vehicle demands will impose costs of up to $40 billion on companies that they’ll pass on to customers, according to the group. The miles-per-gallon standard, which is 35.3 for 2016, will under the rules go to 50.8 -- a number the industry contends could make cars prohibitively expensive.

(Sadly, the current generation of Ford pickup trucks has FAILED to meet the 2016 fuel ratings-admittedly by a quite small margin-but a fail is a fail-Dodge DID meet the fuel requirements for its trucks but did so using 8 speed transmissions and this maximum use of many gears to keep engine revs low seems to be the way of the future. Too bad Ford hasn’t learned this yet!)

On Wednesday, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency took a formal step that makes it harder for Trump to undo the Obama targets. EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy announced a preliminary determination that Obama’s 2025 targets are achievable, affordable and appropriate. If she finalizes this decision before leaving office, she’ll force Trump into a formal and protracted rule-making process to revise the rules.

(Yeah, so what if the vehicles being produced won’t carry the cargo you want or haul the gear you need! Nor travel as far as you want without the risk of being stranded with a dead battery!)

(And Ontari-owe LIE-berals have just “partnered” with private sector-meaning HANDED OUT MORE SUBSIDIES-to encourage a few businesses to install car chargers on their property for their employees and customers. If electric cars were such a useful deal then WHY the need for so much govt legislation and MASSIVE SUBSIDY? As gas cars became more efficient, people willingly bought them. That electric cars require legislation and govt money to get even a few of them bought indicates how NOT READY the ZEV is!)

Murphy
+1
No, electric cars will sell when NFLD starts the fishery up again. Electric ells, kept in seawater, will power the cars for a long time!

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

No, electric cars will sell when NFLD starts the fishery up again. Electric ells, kept in seawater, will power the cars for a long time!

Who killed the electric car? ECONOMIC REALITY! Pity the poor LIE-berals- all their foolish policies biting the dust in disgrace.

Those who have enjoyed what Ontari-owe LIE-berals have done with electricity will LOVE what LIE-berals will be doing to promote electric cars!

Too bad, so sad': Horwath to Libs on Green Energy Act

By Shawn Jeffords, Political Bureau Chief

First posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 05:56 PM EST | Updated: Friday, February 24, 2017 08:16 PM EST
Andrea Horwath
Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath talks to media at Queen's Park in Toronto on Tuesday October 4, 2016. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun)
Article

Change text size for the story
Print this story

Report an error

Too little, too late.

That’s what both opposition parties are saying about a contrite speech delivered Friday by Energy Minister Glenn Thibeault on the Liberal government’s controversial Green Energy Act. Thibeault told an audience at the Economic Club of Canada in Ottawa that he was there to address the “elephant in the room.” He went on to admit that the government’s green energy policies have contributed to sky-rocketing hydro costs across the province.

The Green Energy Act, introduced in 2009, was intended to expand Ontario’s use of renewable energy like wind, solar and biomass as way to fight climate change. Under the act, the province signed rich fixed term contracts with energy producers. That in turn, drove up costs, Thibeault acknowledged.

“We removed competition within the electricity sector and offered an attractive, standard-offer rate to developers of large, utility-scale wind and solar installations,” Thibeault said. “This made sense at the time, and we drove significant investment in the Province. We now know that competitive tension within and among renewable energy developers could lead to much more attractive pricing. As they say, hindsight is 20-20.”

Not good enough, said NDP Leader Andrea Horwath, Friday morning after delivering a speech to the Toronto Region Board of Trade. She called Thibeault’s mea cupla, “crocodile tears.”

“Too bad, so sad,” she said. “Look, they have made so many mistakes in the energy system. They’ve created prices people can’t afford. People are making choices between putting food on their table and paying their hydro bills. All of this is the result of Liberal government decisions over the last decade.”

Worse, Horwath said, the Green Energy Act has made skeptics of people across the province who now look suspiciously on all renewable projects.

“They can say I’m sorry, but I’m sorry is not good enough,” she said. “They’ve made an absolute mess of our electricity system and while they’ve done so they’ve created this negative pall around renewable energy, which is shameful.”

Progressive Conservative energy critic Todd Smith said Thibeault’s speech an admission cloaked in “flowerly language.” He summed up the Green Energy Act more bluntly, calling it an “incredible disaster.”

“It seems like finally, after all of the criticism that we’ve put forward, that the government is starting to realize perhaps they have bungled the energy system.”

Smith said the act has turned neighbour against neighbour in some cases, as some made money off the wind and solar projects while other fought against them. Community groups spent hundreds of thousands fighting the province over the issue, he added.

“The admission seems a little bit desperate, given the timing and the fact that we’re a year out from an election,” he said.

sjeffords@postmedia.com

petros
+1
Quote:

The Green Energy Act, introduced in 2009, was intended to expand Ontario’s use of renewable energy like wind, solar and biomass as way to fight climate change. Under the act, the province signed rich fixed term contracts with energy producers. That in turn, drove up costs, Thibeault acknowledged.

And the money didn't stay in Ontario and the power is being used for oil and gas operations.

Red Lily Wind Power Facility - SaskPower
Commissioned: 2011
Fuel source: Wind
Net capacity: 26 MW

Owned by Concord Pacific group; operated by Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Each of the 16 Vestas V82 wind turbines generate 1.65 MW of power.
Each rotor is 82 metres in diameter.
The towers are 80 metres high.
Currently Saskatchewan’s tallest wind turbines.

Thank you?

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

And the money didn't stay in Ontario and the power is being used for oil and gas operations.

Red Lily Wind Power Facility - SaskPower
Commissioned: 2011
Fuel source: Wind
Net capacity: 26 MW

Owned by Concord Pacific group; operated by Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Each of the 16 Vestas V82 wind turbines generate 1.65 MW of power.
Each rotor is 82 metres in diameter.
The towers are 80 metres high.
Currently Saskatchewan’s tallest wind turbines.

Thank you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! YOU ARE FUNNY!!!!

LIE-berals- ALL LIE-BERALS depend UTTERLY on civil service union Hog support! It matters not one bit which province the Hogs are located in! Its why the Parkdale rent strike in summer 2017 was so Embarrassing for LIE-berals! The 11 buildings involved in the price gouging were owned by ALBERTA municipal Hogs! Alberta Hogs are just as ENTITLED to good gravy as the Ontari-owe version- but NOT when it makes Ontari-owe Hogs look bad!

Ontari-owe Hogs were distressed that Alberta Hogs were price gouging the Ontari-owe immigrant groups that LIE-berals herre are sucking up to for votes! Ontari-owe teachers ended up supporting the rent strikers because local votes are more important than out of province Hogs- meaning there are MAJOR cracks opening up as LIE-beral policyg falls ever further into disgrace!

Our fearless Wynne-bag has now TEMPORARILY crippled corporate rent gouging with her new rent controls and no doubt has enraged Alberta Hogs further! But not to worry- the LIE-beral fix is in! If Wynne-bag is still premier after the next election then Alberta landlords- and others can appeal to LIE-beral rent tribunals for increases above the standard! This is simply one of MANY ways in which LIE-berals will loot and pillage our economy if they win another election!

LIE-beral promises are UNAFFORDABLE!

Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! YOU ARE FUNNY!!!!

LIE-berals- ALL LIE-BERALS depend UTTERLY on civil service union Hog support! It matters not one bit which province the Hogs are located in! Its why the Parkdale rent strike in summer 2017 was so Embarrassing for LIE-berals! The 11 buildings involved in the price gouging were owned by ALBERTA municipal Hogs! Alberta Hogs are just as ENTITLED to good gravy as the Ontari-owe version- but NOT when it makes Ontari-owe Hogs look bad!

Ontari-owe Hogs were distressed that Alberta Hogs were price gouging the Ontari-owe immigrant groups that LIE-berals herre are sucking up to for votes! Ontari-owe teachers ended up supporting the rent strikers because local votes are more important than out of province Hogs- meaning there are MAJOR cracks opening up as LIE-beral policyg falls ever further into disgrace!

Our fearless Wynne-bag has now TEMPORARILY crippled corporate rent gouging with her new rent controls and no doubt has enraged Alberta Hogs further! But not to worry- the LIE-beral fix is in! If Wynne-bag is still premier after the next election then Alberta landlords- and others can appeal to LIE-beral rent tribunals for increases above the standard! This is simply one of MANY ways in which LIE-berals will loot and pillage our economy if they win another election!

LIE-beral promises are UNAFFORDABLE!

And consider THIS MESS:

Here is an article illustrating yet again that govt could not run a hamburger stand at a profit-not even if you give them the beef for free! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Toronto Community Housing Corporation plagued by ballooning arrears

By Sue-Ann Levy, Toronto Sun. First posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 08:00 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 08:59 PM EDT

A newly released report from Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) proves the beleaguered housing authority has both a spending and a revenue problem - largely of their own making.

The 12-page “arrears management” report on the agenda of next week’s board meeting shows the amount of rent and parking owed to the corporation (and uncollected) has doubled in five years from $6.9 million in 2012 to $12.8 million in 2016.

The number of units with arrears outstanding has increased nearly 50% during that same time period from 6,719 to 10,032.

This inability to get the mounting arrears under control occurred even as TCHC officials put new arrears collection measures into place in August of 2014, hired 26 new clerks to deal with the improved process in early 2015 and initiated extensive training of staff on the process from March to May, 2015, according to the report.

The report also shows that the point at which legal means are able to curtail the arrears - that is notices of eviction and Landlord and Tenant Board action - has climbed from $5 million outstanding at the end of 2013 to $11 million outstanding in early 2017.

Based on this trend, the report predicts the arrears are slated to balloon to $14.4-million by year’s end. That’s $14.4-million the forever cash-strapped housing authority could use to improve the quality of life for tenants.

(Its also 14.4 million they will not be able to hand out as bonuses for already overpaid Hogs at TCHC! They will just whine till the city gives them more!)

In fairness, as TCHC spokesperson Brayden Akers points out, the housing authority has done a better job of negotiating repayment agreements with vulnerable tenants since 2013.

(Oh that is SWELL- dead beat drug dealers and their addicts and the hookers who entertain them all are now `negotiating` with their landlords to decide what amount of rent they FEEL LIKE paying!)

As a result, the number of arrears subject to some form of repayment agreement has jumped from 18% to 41% between 2012 and 2016.

“By utilizing reasonable repayment agreements as a resolution tactic, TCHC is able to preserve tenancies among a growing number of vulnerable tenants,” Akers said.

However, if you look closely at the growth in absolute numbers, the difference between what is owed and what is subject to a repayment agreement in 2016- $7,603,685 is more than what was owed entirely in 2012 -$6,913,228.

(The `negotiating` tactic is NOT WORKING! The more flexible Housing authorities get about being paid- the more they are FORCED to be flexible by tenants who are growing ever more skilled at fleecing the system!)

(Things are not improved by authorities who seem to think it is a sacred duty to house people no matter what sort of mess they make-the only tool govt has for controlling rotten tenants is swift and final eviction but govt will not use that tool for fear of causing hardship amongst those who are ripping us off!)

And Akers did acknowledge that the repayment agreements represent debt the corporation must still carry during the life of each respective agreement.

(So once the tenant moves out and goes some place else-maybe to another unit within another Toronto Housing building-the debt is just forgotten? And once debt is forgotten then govt does not have to report on its losses and poor management to any higher authority? Is MTHC becoming a classic money pit?)

While the report proposes changes that should have been used already to identify outstanding arrears faster, the glaring issue - besides negligence - becomes apparent on the final page of the report.

The arrears management system is not automated! Akers confirmed that TCHC officials are still tracking outstanding tenant debts with a “combination of spreadsheets and paper forms.”

(Should we ask if the use of paper forms makes it EASIER to hide arrears and other such screw ups and this is WHY govt prefers paper over automation? Or is the notorious computer scam that tarnished City Hall a few years back still haunting city authorities to the point they wont try to automate anything?)

In fact, the report notes that “customer service and records management is supported by paper records- which are often stale”.

(Would the pile of `stale` old files being pretty much ignored, reflect the reality of how little chance there is of collecting on those debts? Just how casual has rent collection become in TCHC?))

Little wonder, as the Sun revealed in mid-2015, tenant Galal Donia lived in Toronto housing from 1994 until finally evicted at the end of 2015 without paying more than $65,000 in rent arrears.

(IN fairness, TCHC buildings are pig pens but which came first- the tenant PIGS like Donia or the Pens such as he live in- often nearly rent free?)

A report by commissioner of housing equity Cynthia Summers - obtained by the Sun during that time - attributed the situation partly to a wily tenant who knew how to play the system and the rest to ineptitude by TCHC officials who allowed the situation to get out of hand.

(And should we expect the situation to get worse now that Toronto has declared itself a “Sanctuary City”? Is TCHC rapidly filling up with smart ass clowns who know how to avoid paying and who city officials wont evict and who federal LIE-berals will not deport under any circumstances? How out of control is TCHC becoming? And why should we put another penny into this slow moving long running train wreck?)

(Mayor Jackass John Tory has said that unless somebody gives him money to make major repairs very soon, then TCHC buildings will become so rotten they will be condemned and forced to close up and cease renting units-I have to say this sounds like a VIABLE PLAN for getting TCHC under fiscal control! Let the money pit fill in with rubble from its own collapsing buildings rather than going with the current plan to simply fill the fiscal hole with tax dollars!)

Murphy
+1
Shhh. You've forgot to take your Valium today, didn't you?

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Shhh. You've forgot to take your Valium today, didn't you?

I present here an article written by Lorrie Goldstein of Toronto Sun newspaper and it ought to be MUST READING for any person who is employed in the private sector now or who hopes to be employed there some time in the future! Goldstein has summed up our looming LIE-beral designed economic disaster nicely but I have added some comments of my own in brackets).

Wynne’s climate change strategy rewards big business while punishing average Ontarians

(I say isn’t that amusing? LIE-berals sneered at Conservatives because they cut corporate taxes in order to lure jobs here and yet here are LIE-berals just GIVING carbon credits-bought with OUR tax dollars- to big corporations in order to persuade them not to close up shop and leave because of LIE-beral environmental tax and spend madness!)

By Lorrie Goldstein, Toronto Sun. First posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 06:19 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 06:24 PM EDT

The funniest thing about Premier Kathleen Wynne’s unveiling of Ontario’s plan to fight global warming Wednesday wasn’t her observation that the weather was freezing on June 8, before she hightailed it out of the Evergreen Brick Works in a gas-guzzling SUV.

The funniest thing was the comment of her climate change minister, Glen Murray, to the Toronto Star the day before that Ontario’s $8.3-billion climate change plan is “a big basket of carrots and no sticks.”

Because it’s only a basket of carrots if you’re one of the more than 100 major industrial greenhouse gas emitters that will be getting free carbon credits — in essence, free money — from the Wynne government under its cap-and-trade legislation, which kicks in Jan. 1.

But it’s all stick, as in bad news, if you’re an average taxpayer who, among other countless absurdities in this plan, will be subsidizing rich people who buy expensive, not-ready-for-prime time electric cars, as well as paying for the free electricity they’ll get to recharge them.

What’s really going on here is an unholy alliance between big business, which is praising the Wynne plan in return for billions of dollars in public subsidies paid for by taxpayers, and so-called environmentalists, who are cheering a plan they know is grossly unfair to the public, but which they figure is better than nothing.

They’re wrong because for the average Ontarian, this plan is worse than nothing.

(A good many of the more rabid environmental activists are quite comfortable with the idea of forcing us to live in bark wigwams and having us cook our `meal` of Dandelion Greens over a smokey fire of dried Moose droppings-ASSUMING they are willing to let us collect the droppings instead of letting them decompose properly into the `natural` world!)

Its carbon pricing component will raise the cost of living, increasing the prices of virtually all goods and services, in return for no significant decreases in greenhouse gas emissions linked to climate change.

(Wynnes carbon cap is really nothing but a GIANT slush fund she will use to BRIBE civil service Hogs to continue VOTING for her! This is an election platform and has NOTHING to do with environment!)

It will drive hundreds of thousands more Ontarians — particularly seniors on fixed incomes — into energy poverty, where they spend more than 10% of their income just to power their homes.

It’s built on a financial house of cards — North America’s cap-and-trade market, which collapsed last month, resulting in California and Quebec, Ontario’s two new partners in cap-and-trade, receiving a mere 11% of the $700 million they anticipated in their latest auction of carbon credits.

(IN spite of industry scorning the plan, bankrupt California politicians are making plans to kick up the price of carbon credits by about 10 percent per year indefinitely into the future-with our LIE-beral Wynne-bag and her cronies tied into that scheme!)

Ontario expects to make $1.9 billion annually to start when it joins this carbon trading market next year, and while it’s gamed the system so that it will make money initially, inevitably the carbon trading market will collapse, just as it did in North America last month and as it did in Europe following the 2008 global recession.

And average Ontarians will be left holding the bag, as the Liberals will either increase taxes or the provincial debt to pay for the climate change schemes they announced Wednesday.

(A second auction of carbon credits was later held and sold out-nothing like a chocie between BUY or CLOSE your doors to motivate companies to buy! In spite of this forced racket, LIE-berals now admit the amount of money collected with be rather less than expected! Nothing like a CEO stating “give us credits free or we close shop and move south of the border with our jobs” to pry some more free credits out of LIE-berals!)

The easiest way to explain this looming disaster is that all previous Liberal scandals — eHealth, Ornge, cancelled gas plants and, as we learned on Wednesday, the $342-million deficit left over from the Pan Am Games — pale in comparison to the losses taxpayers are going to face under the climate change strategy Wynne unveiled Wednesday.

In a word, it’s frightening.

(LIE-berals truly believe they are the natural ruling party and they are prepared to make us pay ANY price so they can cling to power by buying votes from select pressure groups such as Muslims and civil service Hogs!)

petros
Interesting fact:

Overall, there were over 4,800,000 Model A Fords produced. It is believed that over one million of these cars are still in existence.

1,000,000 Still running gasoline for 90 years.

That is only the Model A.

Imagine the total number of classics still on the road.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

If we now have problems dealing with discarded car batteries and flashlight batteries because of environmental concerns, how are we going to deal with electric car batteries?

THERE IS THE SERIOUS QUESTION! What to do about the lithium batteries! Samsung- with their flaming phones- is simply the latest manufacturer to be stung by the inflammable quality of lithium- the moment it is exposed to air!

LIE-berals tell us their gross Green Energy mess is good for us and point to various corporations that have jumped on the mouldy green band wagon as proof that the LIE-beral Green Energy and Carbon crap and trade scam messes are working and are accepted by the public. This article presents the truth re LIE-beral energy and environmental failures. With some comments of my own in brackets):

Big business has bought into the green agenda for the subsidies

By Lorne Gunter , Edmonton Sun. First posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 05:12 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 05:23 PM EDT

Monday, Wood Mackenzie, a leading oil, gas, mining and renewable energy analysis firm, issued a report claiming “major oil and gas producers will put more of their capital into wind and solar developments as returns from renewables are poised to exceed some hydrocarbon projects.”

In short, a global consulting firm says major energy companies are going to put lots of money into “green” energy while scaling back on fossil fuels because there is now as much or more money to be made in renewables.

Every time similar news comes out – and it comes out about once a month these days – my Inbox is jammed with told-ya-so messages from “green” activists saying things like, “See, see, even corporate executives accept that climate change is real. They’re ready to do something about it. Why don’t you stop defending carbon.” (Expletives deleted.)

(LIE-berals and their Hog allies have NO intention of telling the truth about green energy. Not about how costly it is. Not about what a job killer it is. Not about the HUGE subsidies that govt throws at green jobs. Green supporters are willing to `modify` the news as necessary to make it LOOK like Green Energy is working well!)

It happened after U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from the Paris accord and the next day an American headline trumpeted “Corporate America scolds Trump for dumping climate agreement.”

(In truth “Corporate America” is simply afraid that their VERY PROFITABLE green subsidies may be cut!)

It happened last month when London’s Financial Times printed a feature entitled “The Big Green Bang: how renewable energy became unstoppable.” And in March when financial news service Bloomberg carried a headline proclaiming “Big Oil replaces rigs with wind turbines.”

What’s missing in all of these stories is not the what, but the why?

Why, for instance, would executives from four oil and oilsands companies have stood at the podium in November 2015 when Alberta Premier Rachel Notley announced her carbon tax and Climate Leadership Plan?

After all, aren’t corporate execs all about maximizing profits (i.e. greed)? Aren’t they all climate change “deniers” who are against the “green” economy? If even they are worried enough about the future of our planet to go “green,” shouldn’t we all do the same?

Frankly, no.

First of all, there are lots of “wets” – intellectual liberals – among the corporate elites. Indeed, the wealthiest 10% in Western countries are now more likely to vote and donate to the left than to the right.

(A CEO knows to follow the money and right now the money is ALL held by govt! Why run a private business trying to lure in finicky consumers who are broke anyway when you can get a flood of money by sucking up to govt? So what if the govt is LIE-beral- their money has no party affiliation!)

A subconscious feeling of guilt over being prosperous, coupled with peer pressure, have created a need among today’s corporate class to be seen to be socially aware.

But the biggest single reason for this new “green” enlightenment among major energy companies? Subsidies.

(LIE-berals LOVE subsidies. They are paying 900 percent MORE for wind power in Ontari-owe than for other forms of electrical generation. Have signed contracts guaranteeing they will buy any and all green energy produced, regardless of our real needs- which is why they must so often SELL electricity to other provinces and states at a HUGE LOSS! Have re-jigged our electrical grid so we DON’T use as much low cost water power for generation as we once did- in order to MAKE ROOM for unreliable and COSTLY green energy on the grid and it all costs money. Add in the fact that most of the green energy projects are owned by LIE-beral friends and or by financial experts investing Hog pension money in wind farms and you have a HUGE array of LIE-beral pals making a LOT of money off green energy- and LIE-berals are GENEROUS to their supporters!)

There are literally hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayers’ and electricity consumers’ dollars on offer from governments. And drilling for subsidies seems certain to produce a steadier income stream than drilling for hydrocarbons.

Just three reasonably minor examples from Canada illustrate the problem.

Current “green” energy plans by Ontario’s Liberal government are expected to add $170 billion to residential and industrial power bills by 2032. That’s government forcing consumers to subsidize “green” energy companies.

In Alberta, a carbon tax to subsidize renewable energy and energy-efficiency conversions in new and existing buildings will cost the average family $1,000 a year by 2018 and raise around $3 billion a year for the provincial NDP to toss around at all manner of save-the-planet schemes.

And calculations by Calgary author and policy analyst Mark Milke show that between 2000 and 2016, 80% of the billions in industrial subsidies given out by Natural Resources Canada went to renewable energy companies.

(Mouldy green LIE-beral policy ONLY cleans wallets and leaves the dirt in the air!)

Around the world it’s the same or worse. Governments are pouring slop pails full of taxpayer dollars at wind, solar, biomass and other alternate energies. It’s almost certain none of these energies would be profitable without massive subsidies.

With oil stubbornly below $50US/bbl., getting “green” politicians to squeeze taxpayers and consumers for huge subsidies and massive electricity rate increases is a great way for oil executives to make up sagging profits.

It’s Big “Green” and Big Oil versus taxpayers and consumers.

(The worst of it is that LIE-berals deliberately ignore the simple solutions to fossil fuel use. They refuse to cut back on Hog gravy. Take a drive up to the north east GTA -the side roads east and south of Newmarket and look at all the 3, 5, 10 acre estates out there- each one with a 3 or 4 car garage- with so many cars there is no need for public transit out that way! And in fact NONE exists- it is classic urban sprawl car culture- SPAWNED by Sunshine List Hogs! It is classic urban sprawl- the LIE-berals want US to forget about! But its FINE for LIE-beral pals to live in- and LIE-berals are launching their Carbon crap and trade scam so they will have MORE GRAVY for Hogs who already have the largest carbon foot print!)

(Then take your canoe up to the Muskoka Lakes and paddle around counting up the number of gas guzzling toys buzzing around you! And again- ask: how many Sunshine List Hogs are here? The true answer ought to be INFURIATING FOR YOU! Unless YOU are a Hog!)

(If govt simply cut back on gravy for Hogs, they would do as we peasants have done all along- they would SHRINK their gross carbon foot print down to more modest levels! They would drive smaller cars and drive less frequently. They would own smaller and easier to heat dwellings. They would think twice before pulling out the gas guzzling toys, and might look to less damaging forms of fun! With less gravy, Hogs would even cut back on airline travel and airplanes are the most dirty way to move anything! But LIE-beral lust for power at any price coupled with Hog greed means none of these environment saving options will ever be used! Cut back on Hog gravy and we could even save our economy!)

(LIE-berals will continue to buy both Hog votes and corporate support with OUR money while the environment burns, the economy wobbles under its debt loads and LIE-beral pals get rich! LIE-beral Dalton McGinty told us years ago that it “was time for govt to start picking economic winners and losers in Ontari-owe”. Just our luck that ALL the winners have been carbon spewing LIE-beral PALS!)

Hoid
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/fortu...nter-driving-1

read em and weep Deniers.

captain morgan
+1
Reading a paid advert about Tesla from tesla... How compelling

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Reading a paid advert about Tesla from tesla... How compelling

Oh.... and the BEST PART about Tesla model 3 for winter driving was provided by 2 guys who drove one across United States recently- but had to FORGO HEAT AND WINDOW DEFROSTERS AND "FRILLS" like that! They damned near FROZE! Without shutting all car options down to the bare minimum they would have been STRANDED in the middle of nothing with a dead battery!

And they did not go into deal about how much the cold reduced battery service life and charge holding capacity! LIE-berals think that such questions- and the unhappy answers are IRRELEVANT!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Only in their Weed fueled dreams!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

Oh.... and the BEST PART about Tesla model 3 for winter driving was provided by 2 guys who drove one across United States recently- but had to FORGO HEAT AND WINDOW DEFROSTERS AND "FRILLS" like that! They damned near FROZE! Without shutting all car options down to the bare minimum they would have been STRANDED in the middle of nothing with a dead battery!

And they did not go into deal about how much the cold reduced battery service life and charge holding capacity! LIE-berals think that such questions- and the unhappy answers are IRRELEVANT!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Only in their Weed fueled dreams!

Electric vehicles are never going to have much effect on anyone now over age two!

spilledthebeer

Electric vehicles are never going to have much effect on anyone now over age two!

Oh.....now that may not be true...... it all depends how much tax money-free subsidy-grant money LIE-berals are willing to dump into the industry! Considering how much of our cash they have dumped into their mouldy green energy for the benefit of LIE-beral party pals- electric cars may impact children not yet even born!

Think back- 8-10 years to when oil was over $100.00 per barrel and Ottawa had surpluses of $10- $14 billion per year- now- if we had paid down that entire $10 billion per year against our national debt it would have taken us over 35 years to deal with the Ontari-owe provincial debt alone!

In 2014 alone, the 751,000 inhabitants of of New Brunswick had a yearly deficit of $14 billion. In the two years since Our idiot Boy has been in power he has run deficits totaling $50 billion- at a pay back rate of $10 billion per year it would obviously take 100 years to pay back the roughly $425 billion in debts from Ontari-owe, one year of New Brunswick debt and 2 years of idiot Boy debt

WE DO NOT HAVE that $10 billion surplus any more.....and with Our idiot Boy and his supporters blocking any effort to export |Cdn natural gas or oil we WONT ever have such surplus ever again!

Face it- we ARE bankrupt- with LIE-berals now exploring previously un-imagined levels of fiscal chicanery!

Various financial types are now saying that if NAFTA is killed off by LIE-beral pig headed stupidity over Muslim immigration, it may drive our yearly federal deficit up to $120 billion- all so OPur idiot Boy can call himself a feminist by encouraging Muslims to come here and start voting for politicians who are willing to impose Sharia Law that will grossly LIMIT the rights of Cdn females!

So- who beats their kids? CLEARLY PIERRE TRUDOPE beat his idiot Boy Justin daily- or even on the hour- in order to scramble Justins brain that way!