What should Canada give up in new NAFTA

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

My rational mind tells me Canada should adopt unilateral free trade and then just negotiate a deal that tries to eliminate unintentional trade barriers beyond that. But tariff and quota elimination is something we should be able to do unilaterally. Then negotiation could focus on phytosanitary and other such regulations.
With Trump in power though, my emotional side says screw him and let's just make it as tough for him as possible until he leaves office. We could go unilateral the day he's voted out of office as Canada's slap in the face.

Your mind is clearly not rational if you think Canada should adopt a unilateral free trade deal with the world.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Donald Trump says he rejected meeting with Trudeau

Quote:

U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters in New York Wednesday that he rejected a meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau because he does not like Canada's tariffs, NAFTA negotiating style or representative at those negotiations.

Video in the link

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Trudeau says not to ‘read into’ his brief interaction with Trump at UN

Quote:

(Video provided by Bloomberg)
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrapped up his visit to the United Nations on Wednesday, and although he did not have a personal meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump, he said not to "read into it."
Trudeau was referring to an interaction between the two leaders at the annual UN General Assembly on Tuesday. The prime minister was greeting other leaders around a table Trump was sitting at, and after a few handshakes, he approached the president, who looked like he was reading notes on the toast he was about to give at the luncheon.
The two exchanged a quick handshake, but Trump did not stand up to greet Trudeau.
When asked about this during a media conference on Wednesday, Trudeau said: "I have continued to engage regularly with the president. We had a very good call just last week, we continue to have regular conversations whenever necessary, whenever we want to."
He added that he does not think "there is anything to read into it."
"I was thanking the president of South Africa for his extraordinary speech on Nelson Mandela and I moved around the table to say hello to the prime minister of Italy, and then shook hands with President Trump while he was re-reading his notes for his speech [for] the toast he was about to give," Trudeau said.
He said it was an interaction like so many at the UN, "quick but cordial. There are all sorts of opportunities for me to speak to President Trump and that was not the time."

Hit the link for the full article

'If' NAFTA 2.0 proceeds, Trudeau wants to feel 'confident' on tariffs

Quote:

As the Trump administration continues to link the lifting of steel and aluminum tariffs to a successful conclusion of trade talks, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians need to feel confident about what will happen 'if' they move forward.
Speaking at a press conference before leaving the United Nations General Assembly in New York to return to Ottawa, Trudeau said he's discussed the tariffs the Americans justify on "national security" grounds in many conversations with the U.S. president. Donald Trump insisted "a few times" that "if we renegotiate NAFTA ... there will be no need to worry about these other things," Trudeau said.
Getting the right deal for Canada, Trudeau said, "involves obviously feeling confident about the path forward, as we move forward, if we do, on a NAFTA 2.0," he said, including a "lack of punitive tariffs that we consider are unjust."
The U.S. steel industry continues to operate below its capacity, so the Trump administration believes these tariffs protect domestic jobs. They've also helped increase prices, and resulted in profits, for the U.S. industry.

Click the link

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

lets give up trudoh, and protect our economy

================================================== ================================================== ====

Our idiot Boy Justin is merely the public face of our major LIE-beral problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idiot Boy ins one lone voice- being followed by a substantial herd of gravy hungry aspiring dictators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We could dump the idiot Boy but the LIE-beral problem would remain- with a new leader and new face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE NEED TO DUMP LIE-berals ENTIRELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is NO REASON Canada should give up anything for NAFTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the anti Yankee sentiments of our bigoted LIE-beral overlords that are the ONLY REAL IMPEDIMENT to a NAFTA deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we need to do is recognize what we need to protect ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to be more serious about national security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE need to be proactive in chasing down Russian, Chinese, and Iranian spies and saboteurs who are using Canada as a back door and easy entry into United States- were they can teal technology and assorted military and industrial secrets and where they can set up[ assorted criminal enterprises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has not escaped Yankee notice that the worlds major supplier of Fentanyl is CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has not escaped Yankee notice that Pacific Mall in Mrkham Ontari-owe is a major player in the counter-fitting and sale of all manner of goods that are supposed to be covered by copyright laws- that our LIE-beral overlords cannot be bothered enforcing!!!!!!!!!

This LIE-beral indifference to law enforcement is a major worry for Yankees since criminal activity can so easily spill across the border!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

WE need to recognize the massive problem we have with illegals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The illegals are a blight on our economy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Yankees are well aware that the illegals can just as easily MOVE BACK across the border to make trouble in United States!!!!!!

Yankees DO NOT wish to import spies and drug cartels along with their Cdn dairy and softwood lumber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE need to immediately start rebuilding our Cdn military- after all it is OUR SOVEREIGNTY they are defending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN addition- Trump is right that NATO forces MUST be built back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russia is engaged in a long term game to dominate Europe- with China engaged in a similar game to dominate Africa, the Middle East and Asia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Russian, Chinese and Iranian opponents are ALL one party dictatorships who wish to improve their situation- at OUR EXPENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to think in a more strategic way- as example- Trump was riht to castigate German leader Merkel for signing that multi billion dollar natural gas deal with Russian Putin!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump is right in pointing out that Germans are now giving Putin hard currency in exchange for natural gas so he can build up his military even further so he can threaten the world more effectively!!!!!!

WE have only to look at the mess made by Isis or the chaos in Mynamar with Rohingya, or the repression in China against various ethnic and religious groups to recognize that our concepts of civil rights DO NOT EXIST in most of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

WE have only to look at the scale and scope of Fake News flooding into the west under the sponsorship of various govts who want to damage us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We do not need to give up anything to get a NAFTA DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE need ONLY to make stronger efforts to stand on guard for Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The old British North America Act that created The Dominion of Canada - charged our leaders with responsibility for "peace, order and good govt"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals give us NONE of those things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They give aid money to terror group Hamas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They encourage ISIS fighters to return to Canada to "become powerful voices in our community"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals have turned our legal system into a sick joke- catch and release is the order of the day- with LIE-beral judges so disorganized they would actually RELEASE SEVEN ACCUSED KILLERS without a trial in 2017 alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals do not even give us good govt- their insane spending and deficits are killing our economy and blighting our lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even civil service union Hogs- meaning those Cdns most favoured by LIE-beral generosity- are paying thousands of dollars MORE IN TAXES than they did under Stephen Harper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals are so utterly muddled they cannot even fix the badly flawed Phoenix pay system- for their Hog pals- that they simply turned on and let run- without the bother of any real tests and certainly with no back up plan if the thing malfunctioned- as it has done!!!!!!!!!!

If LIE-berals are so SLOPPY that they cannot even pay their strongest supporters- the union Hogs efficiently- then what hope is there that LIE-berals will respect the rest of us in any real way???????????????

White_Unifier
I'd be willing to accept an agreement that:

1. Guarantees Canada's freedom to unilaterally reduce or eliminate tariffs against any jurisdiction in accordance with any international sanctions.

2. Guarantees the US' freedom to unilaterally raise tariffs against Canada but only for the purpose of countering any advantage Canada may gain over the US resulting from any unilateral tariff reduction on Canada's part.

I think this would ensure reasonably free trade between Canada and the US while still allowing Canada to trade freely with the rest of the world and the US to protect itself from global trade.

pgs
Free Thinker

I'd be willing to accept an agreement that:

1. Guarantees Canada's freedom to unilaterally reduce or eliminate tariffs against any jurisdiction in accordance with any international sanctions.

2. Guarantees the US' freedom to unilaterally raise tariffs against Canada but only for the purpose of countering any advantage Canada may gain over the US resulting from any unilateral tariff reduction on Canada's part.

I think this would ensure reasonably free trade between Canada and the US while still allowing Canada to trade freely with the rest of the world and the US to protect itself from global trade.

To bad you donít really have a say .

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

To bad you donít really have a say .

What concerns me is that Trump is trying to create a 'Fortress North America' b trying to force Canada to choose between the US and the rest of the world. Canada should refuse to sign any agreement that imposes country-of-origin rules or in any other way prevents Canada from trading freely with the rest of the world.

If the US want to build a 'Fortress America.' by all means, but please don't drag Canada into it.

MHz
Canada to a US politician lies within 1 tank of gas of the US border.

pgs
Free Thinker

What concerns me is that Trump is trying to create a 'Fortress North America' b trying to force Canada to choose between the US and the rest of the world. Canada should refuse to sign any agreement that imposes country-of-origin rules or in any other way prevents Canada from trading freely with the rest of the world.

If the US want to build a 'Fortress America.' by all means, but please don't drag Canada into it.

Well get elected , and become a Minister, then people might care about your thoughts .

pgs
Free Thinker

P.S. why should the United States or any country for that matter , accept product made in another country and relabeled as made in Canada ?

Curious Cdn
Conservative

P.S. why should the United States or any country for that matter , accept product made in another country and relabeled as made in Canada ?

Who's doing that, pigs? Let's see some links.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

He's probably referring to the fact that often parts come from all over, finally assembled in Canada, and it's hard to say just how much of it is made in Canada. country-of-origin rules just impose that much more bureaucratic red tape in hiring a team of accountants to have to calculate each part to figure out whether it meets the percentage quota.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

He's probably referring to the fact that often parts come from all over, finally assembled in Canada, and it's hard to say just how much of it is made in Canada. country-of-origin rules just impose that much more bureaucratic red tape in hiring a team of accountants to have to calculate each part to figure out whether it meets the percentage quota.

Look at the sticker on a newly manufactured car. It's a bit more specific than that.

I have had the experience in the last of working for a now defunct American manufacturer for which we did all of the critical, precision assembly here in Canada (the build was too difficult for their workforce ...a common complaint in the 21st century) then we shipped the sub-assemblies down to Tampa, Fla. where they were folded into the final assembly and when it got it's "Proudly Made in U.S.A." sticker. This sort of thing is far more common than most of you would know and it goes back a good century plus.

White_Unifier

Look at the sticker on a newly manufactured car. It's a bit more specific than that.
I have had the experience in the last of working for a now defunct American manufacturer for which we did all of the critical, precision assembly here in Canada (the build was too difficult for their workforce ...a common complaint in the 21st century) then we shipped the sub-assemblies down to Tampa, Fla. where they were folded into the final assembly and when it got it's "Proudly Made in U.S.A." sticker. This sort of thing is far more common than most of you would know and it goes back a good century plus.

And I have no problem with that. I would oppose Canada telling the US that X% of its product content must be made within NAFTA countries to enter Canada tariff-free. I'd rather let US manufacturers shop around for the best deal for Canadian consumers. That said, I don't appreciate the US imposing such rules on Canada either.

pgs
Free Thinker

Look up rules of origin mentioned by White Unifier , what am I , your secretary ?

pgs
Free Thinker

That is part of the problem , but not the whole of it .Steel and aluminium are finding way into America labelled as Canadian when it is clearly made in China . I believe it is called dumping .

Curious Cdn
Conservative

That is part of the problem , but not the whole of it .Steel and aluminium are finding way into America labelled as Canadian when it is clearly made in China . I believe it is called dumping .

Links, pigs. Where's your proof behind the Twitter rantings of a serial liar?

White_Unifier

That's one form of dumping. What we normally think of as 'dumping' usually refers to selling a subsidized product below market price. Yet if the Chinese government wants to take Chinese people's hard-earned money to subsidize the steel we Canadians consume, why would we complain about that. The country doing the dumping is actually the one that loses in the long run because it's selling at a loss.

Also, why do you care where the product is made? I'll just buy the best product for my purposes.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Sep 27th, 2018 at 05:39 PM..

pgs
Free Thinker

Whatever George , who cares ? Get a life .

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

That's one form of dumping. What we normally think of as 'dumping' usually refers to selling a subsidized product below market price. Yet if the Chinese government wants to take Chinese people's hard-earned money to subsidize the steel we Canadians consume, why would we complain about that. The country doing the dumping is actually the one that loses in the long run because it's selling at a loss.

Also, why do you care where the product is made? I'll just buy the best product for my purposes.

Maybe because it is an inferior product.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Whatever George , who cares ? Get a life .

You made it up, pigs.

White_Unifier

Maybe because it is an inferior product.

Then it wouldn't be the best product, would it be?

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1

Because it is shit steel. Not even suitable for making paperweights. That's what set the Johnson st bridge back three years. Took three try's to get the made in China structural steel of the quality specified in the contract.
So I can see why the US users would be pissed off at getting what is supposed to be a quality product that turns out to be your average Made in China garbage.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1

Why are you ranting on twitter and what makes you think we care?

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Oh dont worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All will be well after the 2019 election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Either Our idiot Boy \Justin will be on the unemployment line or he will have a short lived MINORITY GOVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In either case- saner heads will be in the drivers seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the good news- that ALL LIE-beral policy is in DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BAD NEWS is that even if we start strong in 2019- it will still take DECADES to UN-do the crap LIE-berals created!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Opinion: What if Donald Trump has a point with Chrystia Freeland?

Quote:

Well, well.
To absolutely no-one’s surprise, it turns out Donald Trump still doesn’t like Justin Trudeau. When asked about the Prime Minister yesterday at his performance art press conference, the U.S. President recounted how he had rejected a request from Trudeau to meet on the margins of the U.N. to talk NAFTA, a interpretation of events the PMO quickly dismissed as at odds with reality. For good measure, Trump also revived his threat to levy tariffs on the Canadian auto sector.
Why is Trump opting for war instead of some jaw-jaw with Trudeau?
Well, according to Trump, “[Trudeau’s] tariffs are too high, and he doesn’t seem to want to move, and I’ve told him ‘forget about it.'” The “it” in question being NAFTA and its narrowing window for resolution in 2018.
But it turns out Trump was only warming up. He also had some choice words for Chrystia Freeland, Canada’s definitely not chopped liver Foreign Minister, saying: “We’re very unhappy with the negotiations and the negotiation style of Canada—we don’t like their representative very much.”
Wait a minute, what? Is this the Chrystia Freeland who takes fashion suggestions from her children, invites G-7 foreign ministers to her house for waffles, and brings reporters popsicles while they were baking in the late summer Washington heat? Yep, one and the same.
But how could anyone not like such an accomplished politician, one who’s won many plaudits over the course of her professional and political life? Such, at least, was the response of much of the Canadian commentariat to Trump’s broadside, many of whom leapt to Freeland’s defense on Twitter.
Does Trump dislike Freeland because she’s a woman? Is it because of her outspokenness on Russia and Ukraine, and the fact that she’s under sanction by the Russian regime? Or is it that she’s just bloody good at her job and refusing to cede any ground in what is a tough negotiation?
It could be any or all of the above. But here’s a heretical thought: What if it’s none of the above? In other words, what if Trump has a point? What if Freeland hasn’t been helping Canada’s cause?
First, a clearing of the decks to ensure a fair hearing. I am not a fan of the current American president. I believe he is a stain on principled conservatism, an ignorant bully several stops short of the station he has achieved in life.
But that doesn’t make President Trump wrong on every point. Nor does pointing out Trump’s awfulness at every opportunity make it the correct course of action. Sometimes a little white lie, or a truth left unspoken, is the grease needed to get a result, especially when you need a positive outcome on a file as important as NAFTA.
So, how could Trump have gotten the wrong impression about Freeland? Let us count the ways. But first, a bit of backstory.
Things were relatively conflict-free on the NAFTA front—if not necessarily progressing well—until May of this year. Regular negotiation sessions were being held, and Trudeau’s government had its Senate, House and state ducks all in a row. Despite this work, negotiators still missed the window to get the deal redone under the president’s existing “fast-track” trade authority.
This miss was soon followed by the imposition of Trump’s spurious tariffs on Canada’s steel and aluminium, which then begat Canada’s pledge to impose retaliatory measures. Things were getting nasty.
The looming trade spat certainly soured the mood at the outset of Trudeau’s June G-7 in Charlevoix, before producing a full-on detonation from Trump after the Prime Minister had the temerity to repeat previously-made comments on Canada’s willingness to stand up for itself in the face of bullspit tariffs levied under the guise of “national security”.
When Trudeau was subsequently attacked in the press by Trump consiglieres Larry Kudlow and Pete Navarro, it was Freeland who leapt to Trudeau’s defence, saying: “Canada does not conduct its diplomacy through ad hominem attacks … and we refrain particularly from ad hominem attacks when it comes from a close ally.”
Four days later, however, Freeland put paid to that by popping up in Washington D.C.—Donald Trump’s backyard—to receive an award as “Diplomat of the Year”. And while there wasn’t any pure ad hominem on offer in Freeland’s acceptance speech, there was a fair share of pissing on Trump’s rug.
Some excerpts:

“And within the club of wealthy Western nations, we are seeing homegrown anti-democratic forces on the rise. Whether they are neo-Nazis, white supremacists, incels, nativists or radical anti-globalists, they seek to undermine our democracies from within.”
A reasonable person—to say nothing of an unreasonable one like Trump—could easily interpret this as a shot across Trump’s bow and a dig at his supporters. Indeed, most observers did, including many in the press. There is no way it was said without knowing who it would anger.
And it was only the beginning. Freeland pressed on:
“Authoritarian regimes are actively seeking to undermine us with sophisticated, well-financed propaganda and espionage programs,” Freeland said, later on adding: “it means resisting foreign efforts to hijack our democracies through cyber meddling and propaganda.”
Now anyone who follows Trump on the Twitter machine knows he gets a bit touchy when the subject of authoritarian regimes undermining Western democracies comes up, what with the conventional wisdom being that Russia helped to put him in the White House. And while Freeland’s words here are undoubtedly true in the general sense, they were also deliberately chosen, knowing full well the impact they’d have on the psyche of the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Was the Liberal government honestly expecting them to help grease the NAFTA wheel? Why not just egg on Robert Mueller while you’re at it?
But don’t some home truths simply need to be spoken? Isn’t democracy worth the risk? Besides, didn’t Stephen Harper once tell Vladimir Putin he needed to get the hell out of Ukraine?
Yes, Harper did. But Putin had invaded another country, not just angered his closest allies by imposing some whack tariffs. More to the point, Harper didn’t have critical skin in the game in the form of an essential economic trade agreement with Russia. Freeland and Trudeau do, which makes the next Freeland speech excerpt even more ill-advised:
“Angry populism thrives where the middle class is hollowed out, where people are losing ground and losing hope, even as those at the very top are doing better than ever. People feel their economic future is in jeopardy—when they believe their children have fewer opportunities than they themselves had in their youth, that is when people are vulnerable to the demagogue who scapegoats the outsider, the other, whether it is immigrants at home or trading partners abroad.”
It might all be true. But does any sentient being think the above section wasn’t written explicitly in reference to the United States and Trump? And even if it doesn’t, does anyone think Trump could be blamed for thinking it’s about him? He thinks everything is about him. We know this. Whatever the case, Freeland had to know her words would get back to Trump. And again, did she think they would help or hinder NAFTA?
Put differently, how do people think Robert Lighthizer coming to Ottawa and dumping all over Trudeau’s “progressive” trade agenda would be interpreted? No matter what your position is on the policy, there is such a thing as form. Politicians rarely go to each other’s backyards to set off flares. And if they do, they do it deliberately, knowing full well the impact those words will have.
Of course Freeland knew her speech in Washington would rankle, just as she knew her appearance on a panel titled “Taking on the Tyrant” a few weeks ago would grate. But she did it anyway.
And now here we are, with NAFTA in limbo and an angry U.S. President. And while Freeland might have strong domestic support and the support of the bien-pensants in her war of words with Trump, it’s Trump that has the future of NAFTA in his hands.

White_Unifier

Because it is shit steel. Not even suitable for making paperweights. That's what set the Johnson st bridge back three years. Took three try's to get the made in China structural steel of the quality specified in the contract.
So I can see why the US users would be pissed off at getting what is supposed to be a quality product that turns out to be your average Made in China garbage.

So blame the buyer, not the government. The government can and should impose the same quality standards on imports as it does on domestic products.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Sep 28th, 2018 at 11:27 AM..

Twin_Moose
Conservative
They do all the time

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1

I don't have a Twitter account.

Why are you posting with grown-ups?

MHz
+1

So blame the buyer, not the government. The government can and should impose the same quality standards on imports as it does on domestic products.

Rather than China not being able to make steel properly perhaps the contractors were ordering sub-standard steel and they got caught.
If it was China there should be lots of incidents world-wide, so far there doesn't seem to be.