A Serious Question For Conservative Supporters


Cannuck
+3
#1
As somebody that considers himself fiscally conservative, I abandoned the PCs when the Reform party started up. The Reform/Alliance party was taken over by social conservatives and I soon abandoned that party. I have heard nothing from the Conservative Party or its supporters this election on policies or platforms. Instead I've heard attacks on Justin and Mulcair and warnings about how bad they will be.

As a fiscally conservative, socially liberal voter, I see the Conservatives as everything I am not. My question is, as a voter with little use for Justin or Mulcair, does the Conservatives having anything to offer me other than put downs of others?

...and thanks in advance flossy but your input isn't really required here.
 
Kreskin
+3
#2
I ask what have the Conservatives done wrong to warrant the others in? Most of the complaints I've heard are biased bs wanking.
 
Cannuck
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

I ask what have the Conservatives done wrong to warrant the others in? Most of the complaints I've heard are biased bs wanking.

That's kinda my point. It doesn't seem like anybody can really defend the last few years without bringing up the other parties. It's like supporters know the party's record can't stand on its own merit. This election seems to be mirroring the Alberta election where only a small minority wanted a Dipper government but enough people casted a protest vote against the Conservatives. "The devil you know" campaign tactic failed miserably.
 
DaSleeper
+3 / -1
#4
Cannuck being "Silly" again!
 
Cannuck
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Cannuck being "Silly" again!

Das being predictable again.
 
DaSleeper
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Das being predictable again.

Always......and so are you.....Dance cannuck dance!
 
Cannuck
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Always......and so are you.....Dance cannuck dance!

I'm sorry for asking you an uncomfortable question. You can always run away and hide. It would be less embarrassing for you than highlighting your trollish nature. Didn't we recently get a new mod that was trying to clamp down on your continuous thread derailment? I guess that didn't fly.
 
petros
#8
Answer: A future.
 
Cannuck
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Answer: A future.

Based on the last few years, that would be highly unlikely. What are they going to change?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Answer: A future.

He just mad because of what Harper has done for seniors....
We all know how junior doesn't like Seniors...don't we?
 
Cannuck
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

He just mad because of what Harper has done for seniors....
We all know how junior doesn't like Seniors...don't we?

Deficit financing definitely favours seniors as it artificially improves standards of living while passing off the cost to younger generations. I can see how you would consider that a good thing. If that is your contribution to the promotion of the Conservative Party, perhaps you should just run along. I don't think they need your type of help.
 
taxslave
+1
#12
Actually for a change cannuck has a valid point. There are a great number of fiscal conservatives that don't have much use for the conservative party's wacky drug policies and influence of born agains in forming government policy.
 
Cannuck
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Actually for a change cannuck has a valid point. There are a great number of fiscal conservatives that don't have much use for the conservative party's wacky drug policies and influence of born agains in forming government policy.

I have no use for the war on drugs...just an incredible waste of scarce resources.
 
taxslave
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I have no use for the war on drugs...just an incredible waste of scarce resources.

That's a fact. I dislike it from both ends. THe waste of money and resources and the misdirection from the real problems and treatment.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Actually for a change cannuck has a valid point. There are a great number of fiscal conservatives that don't have much use for the conservative party's wacky drug policies and influence of born agains in forming government policy.

While I don't agree with his policy on certain drugs or his treatment of veterans...to name just two....I find him the lesser of "three"evils

And the influence of born again is preferable to Sharia law...
 
taxslave
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

While I don't agree with his policy on certain drugs or his treatment of veterans...to name just two....I find him the lesser of "three"evils

Thanks for pointing out the sad reality of Canadian politics. I think I will go slash my wrists now since shooting politicians is still illegal.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#17
It's death by a thousand cuts for them.

The laundry list of egregious actions by this government is exponentially greater than what has come before.

And the fact that they are buoyed by people who still believe we should have a death penalty or that we shouldn't have abortion or that are just bluntly racist says it all.
 
petros
+2
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Based on the last few years, that would be highly unlikely. What are they going to change?

In the last few years it became clear Harper really wasn't a hard nose push it through at any cost oil man. On the other hand, we've finally seen western Canada embark on absolutely massive infrastructure projects that were 70 years overdue. Ontario is no longer the center of the universe. Western Canada is the future of Canada and no longer ignored. Europe and America aren't buying but Asia is. Without infrastructure to get goods to Pacific ports, there won't be a rekindling of Eastern Canadian manufacturing. If this priority gets sidetracked, we will stagnate. Then there is Canadian energy independence. When we are no longer importing to supply 2/3 of Canadians the money stays in Canada and we ditch energy priced in USD.

Do you want to go back to being second fiddle?
 
darkbeaver
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Answer: A future.

So the Harper Conservatives offer something coming as early as this afternoon even if they should disappear in the mean time.And of course only a Conservative voter would believe Harpler has the power of time in his office closet.
 
JLM
+5
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

I ask what have the Conservatives done wrong to warrant the others in? Most of the complaints I've heard are biased bs wanking.

On a big scale, Conservatives have done very little wrong. Most of the 'scandals' are a tempest in a teacup. Duffy, Brazeau and Wallin are being dealt with. By and large Harper has provided us with good Gov't. For those bad mouthing Harper over the perception of him badmouthing his opponents, actually they have it in reverse. The two goofs are promising far more than the funding in place to deliver.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Cannuck being "Silly" again!

Are you surprised?

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

While I don't agree with his policy on certain drugs or his treatment of veterans...to name just two....I find him the lesser of "three"evils

And the influence of born again is preferable to Sharia law...

I agree that the treatment of a FEW veterans has been poor. Most of the Veterans have benefitted from the gov't. Subsidized housing and education, a guaranteed income for life. I agree that much more can be done for the ones who have been shot up or suffering P.T.S.D. Veterans willingly embarked on their career knowing what the risks are.
 
Machjo
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

As somebody that considers himself fiscally conservative, I abandoned the PCs when the Reform party started up. The Reform/Alliance party was taken over by social conservatives and I soon abandoned that party. I have heard nothing from the Conservative Party or its supporters this election on policies or platforms. Instead I've heard attacks on Justin and Mulcair and warnings about how bad they will be.

As a fiscally conservative, socially liberal voter, I see the Conservatives as everything I am not. My question is, as a voter with little use for Justin or Mulcair, does the Conservatives having anything to offer me other than put downs of others?

...and thanks in advance flossy but your input isn't really required here.

I would have considered a Libertarian Party candidate, but there is none in my riding; so now I'm trying to decipher how competent my BQ candidate might be.

All the other parties want to waste taxpayer money on the great administrative redundancy... er... oh, sorry, I meant official bilingualism.
 
CDNBear
+1 / -1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

That's kinda my point. It doesn't seem like anybody can really defend the last few years without bringing up the other parties. It's like supporters know the party's record can't stand on its own merit. This election seems to be mirroring the Alberta election where only a small minority wanted a Dipper government but enough people casted a protest vote against the Conservatives. "The devil you know" campaign tactic failed miserably.

Did you even read the post you quoted?

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The laundry list of egregious actions by this government is exponentially greater than what has come before.

Not by a long shot.

Your extremism is beyond the pale. Stupid at best, idiotic at worst.
 
AnnaG
#23
Well, the last I heard is that we Canuckians are sticking to the budget so far. Debt is kind of freaky at $613 billion and growing at some $2.75 million per day.
The ratio of debt to GDP declined a bit.
I'd like to see gov't shrink some but so far nothing has happened in that respect.
At best, this gov't gets a C- from me, fiscally.
 
petros
+1
#24
lithium

I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay, 'cause so are you ...
We've broken our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care ...
And I'm not scared
Light my candles, in a daze
'Cause I've found god

I'm so lonely, but that's okay, I shaved my head ...
And I'm not sad
And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've heard ...
But I'm not sure
I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet you there ...
But I don't care
I'm so horny, but that's okay ...
My will is good
 
mentalfloss
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Did you even read the post you quoted?

Not by a long shot.

Your extremism is beyond the pale. Stupid at best, idiotic at worst.

Thanks for proving yet again that you're a conbot.
 
JLM
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Well, the last I heard is that we Canuckians are sticking to the budget so far. Debt is kind of freaky at $613 billion and growing at some $2.75 million per day.
The ratio of debt to GDP declined a bit.
I'd like to see gov't shrink some but so far nothing has happened in that respect.
At best, this gov't gets a C- from me, fiscally.

Hey, but do you want to listen to the screaming when it gets in the position to deserve a C+? People want a lot of sh*t they don't want to pay for? Speaking for myself I'd gladly kick in an extra $50 a month to improve healthcare, if everyone else would. I've benefitted a lot from the system- more in fact than I've ever paid in. A hospital stay in B.C. costs $3000 a day.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+7
#27  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

It's death by a thousand cuts for them.

The laundry list of egregious actions by this government is exponentially greater than what has come before.

And the fact that they are buoyed by people who still believe we should have a death penalty or that we shouldn't have abortion or that are just bluntly racist says it all.

Did he not say your opinion was not welcome here? Not that it is really welcome anywhere but still.

To the OP ...

I am a fiscal conservative but a social liberal (small l). I hate useless taxes and government waste (if you need definitions of either, please search "Wynn"). But I support gay marriage, freedom of choice and am not for the death penalty but am not against it enough to protest if it was implemented. In other hot button items, I support the idea that one might need id to vote in a general election and not be covered in head to toe with a wrap such that the voter could be anybody. I also support the fight against ISIS and support accepting refugees we can handle but performing proper security checks on all that come knocking.

The party I look for is one that will be doing best for me while not screwing others. The Conservatives are not perfect. They certainly could have been more open but overall I don't really think they have done a bad job. The tax reductions have been beneficial to me. Also, the Conservatives are not running on an abortion, death penalty or gay marriage platform so the gum flapping of libtards like Flossy really doesn't apply.

That being said, I do look at the NDP and the Lieberals for their proposals and look at how their government would be better for me and the country. The Lieberals sound nice: "Tax the rich, cut back tax on middle class", kill the child benefit and income splitting which is "benefiting the millionares". The problem is that their definition of rich is anybody making a HOUSEHOLD INCOME over $90k/year. They would tax these people. The millionaires no doubt have their millions in tax havens overseas and will not pay more tax.

The NDP I need to research more but from what I have read so far, it looks similar. But like I said, I have not had chance to research them yet.

I still consider myself undecided but am leaning Conservative and did vote Conservative in the last election. You asked, I answered. I have no intention of defending my thinking or getting into one of these back and forth things with you. Take this as my opinion and leave it at that.
 
CDNBear
+3
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Thanks for proving yet again that you're a conbot.

There's no nice way to say this, so here it is, you're an extremist idiot.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Did he not say your opinion was not welcome here? Not that it is really welcome anywhere but still.

To the OP ...

I am a fiscal conservative but a social liberal (small l). I hate useless taxes and government waste (if you need definitions of either, please search "Wynn"). But I support gay marriage, freedom of choice and am not for the death penalty but am not against it enough to protest if it was implemented. In other hot button items, I support the idea that one might need id to vote in a general election and not be covered in head to toe with a wrap such that the voter could be anybody. I also support the fight against ISIS and support accepting refugees we can handle but performing proper security checks on all that come knocking.

The party I look for is one that will be doing best for me while not screwing others. The Conservatives are not perfect. They certainly could have been more open but overall I don't really think they have done a bad job. The tax reductions have been beneficial to me. Also, the Conservatives are not running on an abortion, death penalty or gay marriage platform so the gum flapping of libtards like Flossy really doesn't apply.

That being said, I do look at the NDP and the Lieberals for their proposals and look at how their government would be better for me and the country. The Lieberals sound nice: "Tax the rich, cut back tax on middle class", kill the child benefit and income splitting which is "benefiting the millionares". The problem is that their definition of rich is anybody making a HOUSEHOLD INCOME over $90k/year. They would tax these people. The millionaires no doubt have their millions in tax havens overseas and will not pay more tax.

The NDP I need to research more but from what I have read so far, it looks similar. But like I said, I have not had chance to research them yet.

I still consider myself undecided but am leaning Conservative and did vote Conservative in the last election. You asked, I answered. I have no intention of defending my thinking or getting into one of these back and forth things with you. Take this as my opinion and leave it at that.

Well said.
 
AnnaG
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

A hospital stay in B.C. costs $3000 a day.

Well, I've heard $1200 and up.
 
SLM
+2
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Did he not say your opinion was not welcome here? Not that it is really welcome anywhere but still.

To the OP ...

I am a fiscal conservative but a social liberal (small l). I hate useless taxes and government waste (if you need definitions of either, please search "Wynn"). But I support gay marriage, freedom of choice and am not for the death penalty but am not against it enough to protest if it was implemented. In other hot button items, I support the idea that one might need id to vote in a general election and not be covered in head to toe with a wrap such that the voter could be anybody. I also support the fight against ISIS and support accepting refugees we can handle but performing proper security checks on all that come knocking.

The party I look for is one that will be doing best for me while not screwing others. The Conservatives are not perfect. They certainly could have been more open but overall I don't really think they have done a bad job. The tax reductions have been beneficial to me. Also, the Conservatives are not running on an abortion, death penalty or gay marriage platform so the gum flapping of libtards like Flossy really doesn't apply.

That being said, I do look at the NDP and the Lieberals for their proposals and look at how their government would be better for me and the country. The Lieberals sound nice: "Tax the rich, cut back tax on middle class", kill the child benefit and income splitting which is "benefiting the millionares". The problem is that their definition of rich is anybody making a HOUSEHOLD INCOME over $90k/year. They would tax these people. The millionaires no doubt have their millions in tax havens overseas and will not pay more tax.

The NDP I need to research more but from what I have read so far, it looks similar. But like I said, I have not had chance to research them yet.

I still consider myself undecided but am leaning Conservative and did vote Conservative in the last election. You asked, I answered. I have no intention of defending my thinking or getting into one of these back and forth things with you. Take this as my opinion and leave it at that.


IRBS....I think I love you.
 

Similar Threads

44
4
0
IRA supporters attack police in Dublin.
by Blackleaf | Feb 25th, 2006