Disillusioned Yanks eye NZ

moghrabi
Disillusioned Yanks eye NZ
06 November 2004
By ANN-MARIE JOHNSON

Inquiries from Americans wanting to move to New Zealand have "exploded" since George W Bush was re-elected president.

The Immigration Service's website had 10,300 hits from the United States the day after the election. Usually it gets 2500 hits a day.

And the phones of its US marketing directors in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland, Oregon, have been ringing nonstop since the election.

Marketing director Don Badman said there had been up to 300 telephone calls and e-mails a day.

"We've been doing this for 11 months and it's been building up to about six to eight calls a day, but from Thursday it's exploded. It really started picking up from 11pm the night of the election."

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that many Americans were inquiring about moving to New Zealand, Australia and Canada as a result of the election.

A Canadian website is reaching out to help weary liberal Americans, asking Canadians to marry someone from south of the border.

"Open your heart and your home. Marry an American. Legions of Canadians have already pledged to sacrifice their singlehood to save our southern neighbours from four more years of cowboy conservatism," jokes the site,

set up by a Toronto humour magazine.

To convince Americans to come on up, the site mentions that Canada is a liberal utopia with universal health care and, in some provinces, gay marriage. "We envision a movement where everyone wins: Freedom of expression and a politically convenient marriage with love and igloos for all."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominio...4a6000,00.html

LadyC
Give it a month, a year, a few years. I bet few if any people actually leave the country.

Talk is cheap.

moghrabi
Agree. But at least let's hope some some would leave.

Reverend Blair
People are leaving though. It's not a huge wave, but they really are fed up and scared. If the US continues to get worse, more will leave.

Rick van Opbergen
I am not aware of that Reverend. I agree with LadyC. This is just a first reaction ... It won't take long I guess... Although Bush is in control, the US is still a place where people can normally live their lives ... it's not a sort of Hell on Earth.

Reverend Blair
It's not a hell on earth, but it is an increasingly difficult place to live. The spectre of the draft is hanging pretty heavy in the air right now. Real wages are down. Job security is nil. Rights and freedoms are being attacked on a daily basis.

Right now it's just bad enough for people to begin thinking about it. Every time it gets a little worse they think a little harder and a few more act.

There has been a trickle into Canada of people fed up with the US for the last for years. That trickle is likely to increase over the next four.

Rick van Opbergen
And how large is this trickle? Are we speaking of huge numbers, and what's the reason for their departure to Canada?

Martin Le Acadien
Quote: Originally Posted by Rick van Opbergen

I am not aware of that Reverend. I agree with LadyC. This is just a first reaction ... It won't take long I guess... Although Bush is in control, the US is still a place where people can normally live their lives ... it's not a sort of Hell on Earth.

Worst has been thrust upon the US and it has survived, I guess if worst comes to worst, The Acadians will return to their homeland!

The mid-term elections are in 2 years and if Bush fails the test, control of the house could slip away. Remember Herbert Hoover!

In our riding (Congressional District) we still have to vote between a True son of the Acadians, Melancon-D or Tauzin-R, a son of a political family! I hate to hand down a job to a child since Tauzin's father is retiring and trying to hand the job to his son! Melancon is anti Nafta and Cafta which bodes well! A farmer agianst big Sugar and GM corps, Hell, even Rev would like him! :P

My daughters met his son and they say he is cute! Daddy never disappoints his little girls! The Older set votes, the younger set lobbies!

HE IS ACADIAN-VOTE MELANCON! Dec. 4 is the last of the House elections! Only in Louisiana!

Rick van Opbergen
I've heard Louisiana is said to be the most unhealtiest state in the US, and Missouri being the healtiest one (just to keep this thread going)

Rick van Opbergen
Or was it Minnesota?

Martin Le Acadien
Quote: Originally Posted by Rick van Opbergen

I've heard Louisiana is said to be the most unhealtiest state in the US, and Missouri being the healtiest one (just to keep this thread going)

You are right, Louisiana ranks at the bottom, our diet is mainly to blame and the chem plants don't help anyone. (Except their Owners)! However, Louisiana does have a free health care system called "Charity Hospital" where health care is rendered at no cost. It is a teaching tool for Louisiana State Medical School and is an excellent source of emergency medical care since it is a teaching and research school! The name "Charity" is a holdover from the earlier times, it was started in 1788 when a Spanish Sailor left his fortune to the City of New Orleans to establish a Hospital to care for the poor and sailors. The seed money grew into a self sustaining amount over 200 years and dispite the name, it is one of the best systems in US for health care for emergency type items! No one is turned away based upon the ability to pay or insurance!

Only Hawaii has a similiar system.