H1N1 - Think it will never really touch you?


VanIsle
#1
Mondays and Tuesdays I look after my grandkids. Today my eldest son called to say that he himself had been exposed to Swine Flu. In the first couple of seconds of the call I felt he was over-reacting. I cont'd to listen. Last Thursday one of the guys working on his house was not feeling too well. Son said the guy didn't look too well either. They worked together for a couple of hours or so.
Today Son found out the fellow was hospitalized with the H1N1 virus. So if he was hospitalized, he's very sick - yes? Son went to the children's school and talked to the principal and said "what would you like me to do about my children since I have obviously been very close to them since last Thursday". Principal said - take the children home and if you yourself don't come down with any symptoms (I believe the timing is 10 days) then the kids can come back to school. Now the waiting game begins. Only 4 days have passed. My son is diabetic. His son has CP and weak lungs. I've heard so many people say "Oh it's just like having a bad cold". Maybe it's not quite like just having a cold. I'm feeling concerned.
 
L Gilbert
#2
I'm usually greasy or oily when I am around other people. Bugs don't like that stuff. I think I am pretty safe. I wash lots, too.
I share your anxiety about the younguns. You've got all our hopes that everything will be ok, VI.
 
VanIsle
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

I'm usually greasy or oily when I am around other people. Bugs don't like that stuff. I think I am pretty safe. I wash lots, too.
I share your anxiety about the younguns. You've got all our hopes that everything will be ok, VI.

Thank you.
 
Walter
#4
Swine flu = bird flu = Y2K = AGW = bunk
 
TenPenny
#5
A real case of influenza is 'not like having a bad cold'.

People who say that don' know what they are talking about, and this is why we have pandemics. Many people suffer from a cold, and think it's 'the flu'. Many people are stupid.

Inflenza (no matter what strain) will knock the **** out of you for a couple of weeks, and can easily kill you if your system is weak.
 
ironsides
#6
If you wake up looking like this, don't go to work.

If you wake up looking like this, don't go to work. | office-humour.co.uk
 
karrie
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Now the waiting game begins. Only 4 days have passed. My son is diabetic. His son has CP and weak lungs. I've heard so many people say "Oh it's just like having a bad cold". Maybe it's not quite like just having a cold. I'm feeling concerned.


Well, I'd be doing everything I could to prepare for it right now. I'd stock up on Gatorade and chicken stock, onion soup, nice teas, honey etc., any of the fluids that your house uses when sick. Stock up on BOTH Tylenol and Advil (during a really bad fever, they can be used together if either one isn't cutting it alone) in whatever strengths are needed for the whole family. Thermometers are a must if they don't have them already. And, if I was home essentially waiting to get sick, I'd prep a freezer full of ready to re-heat meals for when the kids are feeling okay and I'm not, or, when appetites are on the mend but energy levels aren't.

A lot of times ending up hospitalized is a result of not being able to get what you need... being unprepared, and too sick to go to the store for fluids and food, or tylenol, etc.
 
gerryh
#8
The incubation period is 4 days for H1N1, if he isn't showing symptoms and his kids are not showing any symptoms then I think they beat the odds this time.
 
Brat
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Well, I'd be doing everything I could to prepare for it right now. I'd stock up on Gatorade and chicken stock, onion soup, nice teas, honey etc., any of the fluids that your house uses when sick. Stock up on BOTH Tylenol and Advil (during a really bad fever, they can be used together if either one isn't cutting it alone) in whatever strengths are needed for the whole family. Thermometers are a must if they don't have them already. And, if I was home essentially waiting to get sick, I'd prep a freezer full of ready to re-heat meals for when the kids are feeling okay and I'm not, or, when appetites are on the mend but energy levels aren't.

A lot of times ending up hospitalized is a result of not being able to get what you need... being unprepared, and too sick to go to the store for fluids and food, or tylenol, etc.

That's some excellent advice right there. I'd take it if I were you.
Hope all goes well for all of you.
 
TenPenny
#10
Yeah, the gatorade is a good point.

Got to be able to replenish the electrolytes.
 
karrie
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Yeah, the gatorade is a good point.

Got to be able to replenish the electrolytes.

tea and honey is better for you, and for replenishing, in m opinion, BUT, gatorade is more accessible if no one's well enough to make tea.
 
Tonington
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

So if he was hospitalized, he's very sick - yes?

Not necessarily. Keeping a sick person quarantined in a hospital is one way to try to contain the disease, and prevent further spreading of the virus. I think it's probably SOP now to do just that during the approaching flu season, and the presence of this new viral pandemic which has jumped species a few times now. Though some organizations may have a different approach to their public health management.

There is a standard group of models used in communicable illness and disease projections/planning. It's called an SIR model. At any point in time, you have susceptible, infected, and recovering people, ignoring any who might be naturally resistant. Keeping those with the infection away from those who are susceptible helps to minimize disease spread. Also, vaccinations for the susceptible limit how much the illness can impact the population in question.
 
YukonJack
#13
Not that I want to make light of a situation that can be catastrophic, but as they say, laughter is the best medicine.

So, in light of that: and OLD, old friend of mine told me once that the secret of his longevity was/is the fact that whenever he had a bug coming on, he took the "HAT TREATMENT".

Placed a hat on the table and drank his favourite adult beverage until he saw two hats. Then went, slept it off, sweat it out.
 
Tonington
#14
There is already a few articles out on the epidemiology of this new flu strain. This one (pdf):
https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues...el10745_fm.pdf

shows clearly that it's not bunk. It isn't as deadly as other flu strains, but it's still criculating through populations, and crossing species thresholds. Each new jump is a chance that the virulence and pathogenicity increase. Right now we're pretty lucky here in Canada, we have god access to drugs that work. None of this is any reason to be confident that it's of little concern. In fact the ease with which this virus becomes zoonotic (crossing species) is part of the reason why epidemiologists are concerned.
 
Trex
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

There is already a few articles out on the epidemiology of this new flu strain. This one (pdf):
https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues...el10745_fm.pdf

shows clearly that it's not bunk. It isn't as deadly as other flu strains, but it's still criculating through populations, and crossing species thresholds. Each new jump is a chance that the virulence and pathogenicity increase. Right now we're pretty lucky here in Canada, we have god access to drugs that work. None of this is any reason to be confident that it's of little concern. In fact the ease with which this virus becomes zoonotic (crossing species) is part of the reason why epidemiologists are concerned.

I agree completely with you on this one Tonington.

Viruses that have recently "jumped" from other species certainly seem to show the greatest potential for harm.
This virus is capabable of aerosol transmission so we know a very rapid pandemic is entirely possible.

The bird,swine and human DNA in this virus means it's a quick and opportunistic mutator.
Right now it's fairly benign.
For sure it's now churning through various slightly mutated iterations.
And possibly picking up more human, avian or swine DNA along the way.
And that means its virulence could easily increase.

H1N1 could turn very nasty very quickly.

And thats why the health professionals are insisting we take it seriously.

Trex
 
Tonington
#16
I can only imagine the cries in the hypothetical situation where public health officials and professionals don't take it seriously, and it does become very bad. Stretch would have a whole thread of conspirator related info.
 
VanIsle
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

The incubation period is 4 days for H1N1, if he isn't showing symptoms and his kids are not showing any symptoms then I think they beat the odds this time.

Thank you for reminding me to look that up. I was really hoping you were right. However, this is what I read:
Swine Flu Incubation Period

The White House said it was 24-48 hours. In general , the incubation period for the influenza virus (all types of flu) is 2 days, but can range from 1 to 5 days. In most US cases , the incubation period for swine flu seems to range from 2 to 7 days.
Obviously, the exact swine flu incubation period is still disputed. It would be wise to keep a close eye on symptoms for about a week, and up to 10 days to be safe.
 
VanIsle
#18
Thank you everyone. You've had some kind and thoughtful words and I really appreciate them.
 
gerryh
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Thank you everyone. You've had some kind and thoughtful words and I really appreciate them.


when the chips are down.... Idon't think any of us are COMPLETE assholes....even the selfprofessed ones.
 
VanIsle
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

when the chips are down.... Idon't think any of us are COMPLETE assholes....even the selfprofessed ones.

I agree. Thanks
 
Trex
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Mondays and Tuesdays I look after my grandkids. Today my eldest son called to say that he himself had been exposed to Swine Flu. In the first couple of seconds of the call I felt he was over-reacting. I cont'd to listen. Last Thursday one of the guys working on his house was not feeling too well. Son said the guy didn't look too well either. They worked together for a couple of hours or so.
Today Son found out the fellow was hospitalized with the H1N1 virus. So if he was hospitalized, he's very sick - yes? Son went to the children's school and talked to the principal and said "what would you like me to do about my children since I have obviously been very close to them since last Thursday". Principal said - take the children home and if you yourself don't come down with any symptoms (I believe the timing is 10 days) then the kids can come back to school. Now the waiting game begins. Only 4 days have passed. My son is diabetic. His son has CP and weak lungs. I've heard so many people say "Oh it's just like having a bad cold". Maybe it's not quite like just having a cold. I'm feeling concerned.

I am sorry to hear that this flu has come into your families life.
Hopefully it will pass you by.
And perhaps your family now has immunity, if you were exposed, and that would get you and yours ahead of the game.

Flu, or influenza is a virus.
As such antibiotics will have no effect.
Antibiotics only work on bacterium.
There are three or four commercially used antiviral drugs.
They are expensive, difficult to use and of limited efficiency.

My advice in general is to follow your health local practitioners advice.
Get a second opinion from another health specialist if still in doubt.
Use the disinfectant wipes now found in a lot of stores.
If you cough or sneeze do it into your sleeve or a tissue out of common courtesy.
Wash your hands when returning from public places.
If you feel sick stay home and avoid contact with large groups of people.
If your doctor says you or yours need to get immunized, get immunized.
Follow a mothers advice:
Quoting karrie
Well, I'd be doing everything I could to prepare for it right now. I'd stock up on Gatorade and chicken stock, onion soup, nice teas, honey etc., any of the fluids that your house uses when sick. Stock up on BOTH Tylenol and Advil (during a really bad fever, they can be used together if either one isn't cutting it alone) in whatever strengths are needed for the whole family. Thermometers are a must if they don't have them already. And, if I was home essentially waiting to get sick, I'd prep a freezer full of ready to re-heat meals for when the kids are feeling okay and I'm not, or, when appetites are on the mend but energy levels aren't.
Unquote.
Vitamin D has shown to be useful in keeping the immune system on an even keel, but it is only useful if you are deficient.
Be careful as vitamin D can be toxic in large amounts, therefore only use as recommended.

If you or yours become infected with H1N1 press your doctor for prophylactic antiviral medications for other family members.

Last but not least ignore uninformed and uneducated conspiracy theorists and rely on family medical practitioners and close family for advice and help, if required.

Trex
 
VanIsle
#22
Trex - thank you for taking an interest. I have not been exposed to the best of my knowledge. It was my son who was exposed and he in turn exposed his children. I am a Mother and a grandmother with some years of advice of my own. Gatorade does help to replace electrolytes alright but it is full of salt and really not all that healthy. If I had anyone under the age of 21 living in my house I guess I would be sure to have tylenol on hand (it always is anyway) but aspirin breaks a fever quicker and is usually quite safe for adults. There are three households of us living in this city so it's likely that someone in those houses can be around to be of some help to the sick people of the other house. There are actually 4 as my brother and his wife live here too. As for attempts at keeping myself on the "sterile" side, there is a little difficulty there. Apparently if you are within about 6 feet of an infected person, you are fair game. I am a cashier so I am always within about 2 feet or less of numerous people. I take their money so I am touching the groceries they touch and the money or credit/debit cards they have been handling all day. I have Purell at my disposal and I carry it in my purse as well. I have carried it in my purse for about 3 years now because sometimes we are places where there is nowhere to wash. Most stores are now providing people with Purell dispensers so people can wash their hands upon entering and leaving. In knowing beyond a doubt that my son was in the immediate area with a person who is now in the hospital, we are taking a few extra pre-cautions. Actually he is taking them, and we are helping. In regard to myself, I doubt that I can avoid being in contact if someone who doesn't know they have been infected comes through my till. That's simply a part of life I have no control over and cannot spend time worrying about daily. If the vaccine gets here before the major flu outbreak then we will all get the shot (if my son and his children do not get it in the next few days and they won't need the shot). We'll get our regular flu shot as well.
I'm sure I have enough food in my house to get us through a couple of weeks if I had to and rather than spend time making up a bunch of meals, I would just buy pre-made meals as there are only two of us and it's likely that if we do get sick, only one of us is going to feel like eating. My freezer is full already. I thank you for your advice and I think it's good for everyone to take this influenza a little more serious than they seem to be. So many seem to believe there is a lot of fear mongering going on and that may well be. I would still rather be prepared. People got their computers prepared for the year 2000. Why not prepare our bodies for a possible onslaught.
 
talloola
#23
A large pot of 'home made' chicken broth, or commercial 'low salt' broth.

When you are suspect of oncoming flu or colds, add extra strength echinacea
to your 'orange juice', (or tea, or other juices),more than once a day, a good dose for adults, a little
less for children, it will assist your ammune system, do not take it all the time.

Go easy on the gatorade, a little is OK, it's contains too much salt.

Keep from getting too tired, or too cold, that makes the body work too hard
on those problems, when it should just be looking after your normal needs.

Some of the herbal teas are beneficial, real the labels for particular needs.
 
AnnaG
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Swine flu = bird flu = Y2K = AGW = bunk

lmao Walter= bunk
 
AnnaG
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

tea and honey is better for you, and for replenishing, in m opinion, BUT, gatorade is more accessible if no one's well enough to make tea.

wow
The stores in our little area here have various teas in bottles, too. Green tea, Ginsang tea, iced-tea, etc. Gatorade's too sweet for me. But I prefer a small ssquirt of lemon in plain ol water, or else lemonade anyway.
 
AnnaG
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Not that I want to make light of a situation that can be catastrophic, but as they say, laughter is the best medicine.

So, in light of that: and OLD, old friend of mine told me once that the secret of his longevity was/is the fact that whenever he had a bug coming on, he took the "HAT TREATMENT".

Placed a hat on the table and drank his favourite adult beverage until he saw two hats. Then went, slept it off, sweat it out.

Les does that, too. A bottle of something tasty, no mixing, about 4 or 5 blankets (I sleep in one of the daughters' rooms), and a hot bath in the morning.
 
AnnaG
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Thank you for reminding me to look that up. I was really hoping you were right. However, this is what I read:
Swine Flu Incubation Period

The White House said it was 24-48 hours. In general , the incubation period for the influenza virus (all types of flu) is 2 days, but can range from 1 to 5 days. In most US cases , the incubation period for swine flu seems to range from 2 to 7 days.
Obviously, the exact swine flu incubation period is still disputed. It would be wise to keep a close eye on symptoms for about a week, and up to 10 days to be safe.

You bet. I would think that the timing of the symptoms showing up also depends upon the health of the critter involved.
 
carpenter dave
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Well, I'd be doing everything I could to prepare for it right now. I'd stock up on Gatorade and chicken stock, onion soup, nice teas, honey etc., any of the fluids that your house uses when sick. Stock up on BOTH Tylenol and Advil (during a really bad fever, they can be used together if either one isn't cutting it alone) in whatever strengths are needed for the whole family. Thermometers are a must if they don't have them already. And, if I was home essentially waiting to get sick, I'd prep a freezer full of ready to re-heat meals for when the kids are feeling okay and I'm not, or, when appetites are on the mend but energy levels aren't.

A lot of times ending up hospitalized is a result of not being able to get what you need... being unprepared, and too sick to go to the store for fluids and food, or tylenol, etc.

zinc vitamin c taken together are very good for the imune system ,1000mg of vit c 3.5 mg of zinc ,the zinc can be taken four times a day to give you that extra boost when fighting colds
 
carpenter dave
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Mondays and Tuesdays I look after my grandkids. Today my eldest son called to say that he himself had been exposed to Swine Flu. In the first couple of seconds of the call I felt he was over-reacting. I cont'd to listen. Last Thursday one of the guys working on his house was not feeling too well. Son said the guy didn't look too well either. They worked together for a couple of hours or so.
Today Son found out the fellow was hospitalized with the H1N1 virus. So if he was hospitalized, he's very sick - yes? Son went to the children's school and talked to the principal and said "what would you like me to do about my children since I have obviously been very close to them since last Thursday". Principal said - take the children home and if you yourself don't come down with any symptoms (I believe the timing is 10 days) then the kids can come back to school. Now the waiting game begins. Only 4 days have passed. My son is diabetic. His son has CP and weak lungs. I've heard so many people say "Oh it's just like having a bad cold". Maybe it's not quite like just having a cold. I'm feeling concerned.

There was a big panic back in England when Swine Flue was anounced ,and the NHS(national health service ) set up an advice line for people with the following symptoms ,headaches ,fever ,vomiting ,sore throats ,and runny noses .As you can imagine the phone lines were inundated with calls .If you showed signs of the flue a drug called Tamiflue was prescribed ,somebody designated as a flue friend had to go and pick up the drug from a designated site and bring it back for the patient ,trouble is people with the symptoms were turning up for the medication thus infecting others ,and word is that people have been describing the symptoms and stock piling the drug in order to sell it on the black market ,you just cant believe some people.There is popular belief in England that the media has blown the whole swine flue issue out of proportion ,and that it is infact like any other flue which is bad enough in its own right ,but not a deadly strain as first reported ,hope alls well with your family .
 
VanIsle
#30
Hi CD,
I believe that it has been reported here that the tamiflu vaccine does not help this virus. None of us will know if it's blown out of proportion or not until it hits. I know that over the years we have spent time worrying about things like the Hong Kong flu and others and never ever were they referred to as "pandemics". I guess we'll just have to wait and sTee. So far all is well with my family and the kids went back to school today. It is a week this Thursday since my son was exposed and he does not appear to be feeling any effects at this point. Thanks for your good wishes.
 

Similar Threads

0
H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccination
by whispergently | Aug 9th, 2009