Motorhead Messiah

DurkaDurka
Contradicts everything coming from the Big 3 of the past years... very interesting read.

Motorhead Messiah

Johnathan Goodwin can get 100 mpg out of a Lincoln Continental, cut emissions by 80%, and double the horsepower. Does the car business have the guts to follow him?

Check it out. It's actually a jet engine," says Johnathan Goodwin, with a low whistle. "This thing is gonna be even cooler than I thought." We're hunched on the floor of Goodwin's gleaming workshop in Wichita, Kansas, surrounded by the shards of a wooden packing crate. Inside the wreckage sits his latest toy--a 1985-issue turbine engine originally designed for the military. It can spin at a blistering 60,000 rpm and burn almost any fuel. And Goodwin has some startling plans for this esoteric piece of hardware: He's going to use it to create the most fuel-efficient Hummer in history.
Goodwin, a 37-year-old who looks like Kevin Costner with better hair, is a professional car hacker. The spic-and-span shop is filled with eight monstrous trucks and cars--Hummers, Yukon XLs, Jeeps--in various states of undress. His four tattooed, twentysomething grease monkeys crawl all over them with wrenches and welding torches.
Goodwin leads me over to a red 2005 H3 Hummer that's up on jacks, its mechanicals removed. He aims to use the turbine to turn the Hummer into a tricked-out electric hybrid. Like most hybrids, it'll have two engines, including an electric motor. But in this case, the second will be the turbine, Goodwin's secret ingredient. Whenever the truck's juice runs low, the turbine will roar into action for a few seconds, powering a generator with such gusto that it'll recharge a set of "supercapacitor" batteries in seconds. This means the H3's electric motor will be able to perform awesome feats of acceleration and power over and over again, like a Prius on steroids. What's more, the turbine will burn biodiesel, a renewable fuel with much lower emissions than normal diesel; a hydrogen-injection system will then cut those low emissions in half. And when it's time to fill the tank, he'll be able to just pull up to the back of a diner and dump in its excess french-fry grease--as he does with his many other Hummers. Oh, yeah, he adds, the horsepower will double--from 300 to 600.
"Conservatively," Goodwin muses, scratching his chin, "it'll get 60 miles to the gallon. With 2,000 foot-pounds of torque. You'll be able to smoke the tires. And it's going to be superefficient."
He laughs. "Think about it: a 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60 miles to the gallon and does zero to 60 in five seconds!"

Continued: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...d-messiah.html

hermanntrude
holy cow. Amazing stuff.

Tonington
That's pretty sweet. I wonder what a Hummer with a jet turbine would look like. No doubt it would sound sick! I'm thinking like a Batmobile kinda ride

hermanntrude
yeah! with flames out the back and a man wearing tights ready to jump out

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

That's pretty sweet. I wonder what a Hummer with a jet turbine would look like. No doubt it would sound sick! I'm thinking like a Batmobile kinda ride

yeah, I need to see a picture of it... I could definitely handle one of those though.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

yeah! with flames out the back and a man wearing tights ready to jump out

lol, funny mental picture there.

#juan
Remembering the old words,"There is no free lunch". This is a hoax. pure and simple.

DurkaDurka
Why would it be a hoax? There is multiple stories running about this, currently.

lone wolf
Hwy 17.... Tailgaters.... More fun than the day I hauled a Sherman tank down Hwy 400....

Woof!

lone wolf
Chinook turbine will fit in a Hummer's boilerhouse - complete with a generating plant....
It won't be a free lunch - but it's a start.

hermanntrude
where does the jet exhaust go? you might just strip the paint off the car behind you

lone wolf

where does the jet exhaust go? you might just strip the paint off the car behind you

Oh ... I bet if a six inch tailpipe gets lit up, any of those folks who like to follow in close won't be so curious.... The tractor pullers vent up - which might be a tad unfriendly to sparrows and robins and the like....

Woof!

Tonington

That's what made me wonder about what it might look like.

DurkaDurka
hell if I know.... here is another story. http://ecotality.com/life/2007/10/24...hybrid-hummer/

http://www.hlineconversion.com/

hermanntrude

That's what made me wonder about what it might look like.

if they angled the exhaust upwards you could get some serious traction out of it.

Tonington

if they angled the exhaust upwards you could get some serious traction out of it.

Serious downforce!

lone wolf

No uglier than any other Hummer....

Woof!

Tonington
Was the Batmobile in Batman begins driven by turbine? I thought that was the coolest Batmobile.

hermanntrude

Was the Batmobile in Batman begins driven by turbine? I thought that was the coolest Batmobile.

looks like it's set up for off-roading

lone wolf
Sorry ... old school here. My first impression is "any survivors?"

Woof!

Tonington
In the movie, the story was it's a bridge jumper developed for the military by Wayne Enterprises. Now that I think about it, I think it did have a turbine...

DurkaDurka
I love that batman car, a nice change from the schlock of the previous movies.

#juan
Quote:

"Think about it: a 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60 miles to the gallon and does zero to 60 in five seconds!"

I've thought about it. All those things are possible, but I guarantee you, not in the same car.....