Torrents

Meeshee
Anyone else download all of their movies and music?

I currently use mininova and piratebay. Are there any other really good sites out there?

DurkaDurka
ISO Hunt is pretty good, on par with Pirates Bay in my opinion. I tend to use ISOhunt for movies because the site is based in North America, which ensures most movies are NTSC format. Opposed to Pirates Bay being based in Europe and movies being PAL format.

Meeshee
I actually forgot to mention that I use that site too. But I am always on mininove. Anything from aXXo is amazing quality.

I`m quite the geekette...hehe.

Oh and I love the picture DurkaDurka....classic!

Tonington
I used to use Pirate Bay, now I mostly use Torrentspy.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

I used to use Pirate Bay, now I mostly use Torrentspy.

Never tried Torrentspy. It`s good I imagine?

Tonington
I haven't had any problems with it.

Meeshee
Thanks. I will look into it.

Meeshee
I`m bored. Amuse me!

DurkaDurka
Go download every season of South Park, that should keep you amused.

Meeshee
Now there`s an idea...hehe. I am working on watching all seasons of Family Guy.

Now that the nice weather is here, I am outside too much with my dog and have no time to TV

DurkaDurka
Family Guy is good, not in the same league as South Park though. I have all the time in the world to watch TV, since I test Satellite TV receivers all day.

Meeshee
Oh I know....lol. I LOVED the South Park movie.

I could use a free satellite receiver if you are feeling generous....haha.

westmanguy
I use Azureus as my client.

I almost exclusively use torrentspy as the directory.

Never tried Pirate Bay, will have to look into it. Is it as good as torrentspy?

Meeshee
I have Azureus as a client too. The thing I don`t like tho is that it really slows down my computer. Hate that.

Pirate Bay is pretty good. But Mininova is my fav.

unspoken
torrentscan is pretty cool too, it's basically a one-stop place to search many different torrent sites. btjunkie, demonoid, and torrentspy would probably be the 3 best.

Depending on what you're looking for, eMule can be good too.

mazin_th
BitComet

Tresson
I'd suggest bittorrent.to. It search several different sites like pirate bay and mininova and returns the results sorted by site.

#juan
I can download movies and put them on a DVD to watch on my computer. Is there a good program out there to enable me to process the movie so I can watch it on my TV?

DurkaDurka
Juan,

If the DVD is encoded correctly, it should play on your set top dvd player as well.

Something you might look at getting though is a media streaming device, which commincatedswith your pc and can stream music/movies/pictures to your TV. Something like this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=318

Twila
Juan, we hook our computer up directly to our tv and watch the movies we've downloaded through that. Looks great. Sounds good. As long as the download is good quality. We just used regular usb cables, nothing fancy

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Juan,

If the DVD is encoded correctly, it should play on your set top dvd player as well.

Something you might look at getting though is a media streaming device, which commincatedswith your pc and can stream music/movies/pictures to your TV. Something like this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=318

There must be something I'm missing. How does one encode a DVD? Is there a program that does this? Is the encoding done during the download or after you have the movie in your hard drive

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

There must be something I'm missing. How does one encode a DVD? Is there a program that does this? Is the encoding done during the download or after you have the movie in your hard drive

Juan, I take it that you are downloading divx rips of DVD's, what I would suggest is you download an iso image of the dvd instead, an image is an exact duplicate of the original DVD. Using Nero, you can then burn the image to DVD, which will be playable on any dvd player

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Juan, I take it that you are downloading divx rips of DVD's, what I would suggest is you download an iso image of the dvd instead, an image is an exact duplicate of the original DVD. Using Nero, you can then burn the image to DVD, which will be playable on any dvd player

Thanks...I will give that a try. Can you get that kind image from the usual Torrent sites?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Juan, we hook our computer up directly to our tv and watch the movies we've downloaded through that. Looks great. Sounds good. As long as the download is good quality. We just used regular usb cables, nothing fancy

Twila

My computer room is upstairs and at the other end of the house and I didn't want to run a fifty foot usb cable.....but thanks

snowles

Twila

My computer room is upstairs and at the other end of the house and I didn't want to run a fifty foot usb cable.....but thanks

For $100, you can buy a top of the line Panasonic DVD player with the ability to play Divx movies you burn onto a DVD. In fact, there are many of them out there, ranging from about $50 on up. I have a Samsung Home Theatre system that not only has DIVX abilities, but also a USB hookup on it, so I can just toss a movie (or music or pictures) onto my 2gB key and toss it on, without wasting my blank DVDs; this way actually plays it better because it can read the information off the key faster than it can off the disc, resulting in fewer (if any) skips.

Or you could, depending on the TV and the distance between it and your computer, just buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable, which gives excellent quality. I have it hooked up that way, and boy, does You Don't Know Jack get a lot more fun on a 42" LCD, a wireless keyboard and mouse when you have people over.

I'd stay away from converters, the quality is usually pretty subpar (in fact, it's often too blurry to read most stuff on the screen), especially for their price.

snowles
Oh, and from experience, Panasonic DVD/DIVX players seem to play the smoothest. I see 2 models from Future Shop available, one is $90 and one is $250 (it has DVD recorder capabilities as well).

You can just burn 6 movies onto a blank DVD as data files and it will play them. Saves space and works very well.

DurkaDurka

Thanks...I will give that a try. Can you get that kind image from the usual Torrent sites?

http://thepiratebay.org/top/202

This links takes you to the DVDR section of the pirates bay, most of the movies listed are full images of the commerical release.

DurkaDurka
Juan, what Snowles suggested would work as well. It's all personal preference. I dislike divx rips on my big screen due to the fact that 99% of them are encoded at a 4x3 resolution, lack of Dolby Digital 5.1 and image quality. Divx rips do have the advantge of downloading a lot faster though due to them being highly compressed.

#juan
I thank you both..

Twila
Quote:

Twila

ah, of course not. Not good feng shui. Although I did see in a decorating magazine the latest is a hard drive for your tv. It sits descretely beside the tv. Then all you need is a flash drive....