'Bomb, bomb, bomb' Iran, US senator sings


sanctus
#1
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Republican US presidential contender John McCain turned to popular music to illuminate the debate on the Middle East, singing at the suggestion that the United States "bomb, bomb, bomb" Iran.

"That old Beach Boys song, 'Bomb Iran'?" McCain said in response to a question about US policy on its diplomatic pariah at an electoral campaign meeting in the state of North Carolina.

His questioner had struck an anti-Iran tone, asking him when the United States was going to "send an air mail message to Tehran," drawing cheers from the crowd.

McCain then briefly sang "Bomb, bomb, bomb" -- an adapted snippet of the rock 'n' roll band's refrain "Ba-ba-ba, Ba-Barbara Ann" -- winning laughter from the audience.

The performance was filmed and posted by users on the video-sharing website YouTube. One posting presented an edited version of the clip, with added photographs of children suffering from injuries cause by violence in Iraq.

"Iran is dedicated to the destruction of Israel," McCain went on in a serious tone, however.

"That alone should concern us, but now they are trying for nuclear capabilities. I totally support the president (George W. Bush) when he says we will not allow Iran to destroy Israel."

McCain is the Republican candidate most supportive of the war in Iraq, though he has harshly criticized President George W. Bush's handling of it.

He has long been seen as a likely favorite on the Republican side for the 2008 US presidential race, but recently has scrambled to overhaul his campaign strategy as he lags behind in fundraising and in the polls.

McCain's campaign spokesman Kevin McLaughlin told ABC news that the senator "was just trying to add a little humor to the event."

Copyright © 2007 Agence France Presse.
 
daddyholland
#2
I am probably the least knowledgeable of world affairs but it seems to me there is a reccuring theme here. First its Afghanastan and then Iraq. Now its Iran.....i've also heard rumours of Afrca aswell.
Im going to throw out a comparison.....this whole war on terrorism reeks with similarities to World War 2 and Hitlers regime. The key theme being, POWER.
 
thomaska
#3
In John McCain's own words, everyone needs to "Get A life". The bomb Iran parody on that song started around 1979-80 with the hostage crisis. Its nothing new or news-worthy.
But, hey what do I know, I'm obviously too simple minded to see that we are going to invade Iran any day now.
 
mabudon
#4
It's "funny" (to folks with that kind of sense of humour, I suppose) when idiots sing it in drunken stupors, but when the "most centre republican" or whatever sings it and calls it "levity", that's just F-ing twisted

Like eenie meenie miney moe, catch a N$$$$$R by the toe- that was a "funny" little tune from the past too, maybe if Mccain had sung that it would be a little more clear exactly what he was suggesting

The notion that bombing a country back to the stone-age could be funny to anyone is firghtening

I suggest he could have sung something more appropriate, like "Armageddon" by Prism, or maybe some Megadeth- "Peace Sells" or "Symphony of Destruction"
 
thomaska
#5
Maybe he should have called the Iranians "nappy-headed ho's"
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mabudon View Post

It's "funny" (to folks with that kind of sense of humour, I suppose) when idiots sing it in drunken stupors, but when the "most centre republican" or whatever sings it and calls it "levity", that's just F-ing twisted

Like eenie meenie miney moe, catch a N$$$$$R by the toe- that was a "funny" little tune from the past too, maybe if Mccain had sung that it would be a little more clear exactly what he was suggesting

The notion that bombing a country back to the stone-age could be funny to anyone is firghtening

I suggest he could have sung something more appropriate, like "Armageddon" by Prism, or maybe some Megadeth- "Peace Sells" or "Symphony of Destruction"

John McCain is the same guy who suggested that after the invasion, and after the sanctions and bombing had killed a million Iraqis, it must be Iran who is causing the chaos. What is causing the chaos is the full-fledged civil war that everyone warned the Americans would happen in the power vacuum that would result from overthrow of Saddam.
 
EagleSmack
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaska View Post

Maybe he should have called the Iranians "nappy-headed ho's"

Then he'd really be in trouble!
 
EagleSmack
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by daddyholland View Post

I am probably the least knowledgeable of world affairs but it seems to me there is a reccuring theme here. First its Afghanastan and then Iraq. Now its Iran.....i've also heard rumours of Afrca aswell.
Im going to throw out a comparison.....this whole war on terrorism reeks with similarities to World War 2 and Hitlers regime. The key theme being, POWER.

Definitley Africa... the whole continent. Then Venezuela.

Then maybe Canada... haven't you heard those rumors?
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#9
Isn't McCain bombed on something all the time?
"Let's sic the CIA on them chinks. Ah, the CIA have found a couple facts. Well, let's add the facts to all the misinformation and then jump to a conclusion".
 
Kreskin
#10
He sure had the dance moves going. He's a natural on the entertainment stage. The range in his voice..wow! The room was rockin.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

He sure had the dance moves going. He's a natural on the entertainment stage. The range in his voice..wow! The room was rockin.

Uh huh. Michael jackson has talent, too.
 
tamarin
Conservative
#12
I'm surprised the effort at levity made the networks but everyone seems to have a camera on them anymore. I was browsing YouTube this morning and they even had a couple of takes on Simon Cowell rolling his eyes at a contestant's remark on Virginia Tech. I'm sure if he rubbed his nose the wrong way that would be on too. Why has this society become so nitwittily voyeuristic?
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
#13
McCain has lost it.
 
Logic 7
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctus View Post

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Republican US presidential contender John McCain turned to popular music to illuminate the debate on the Middle East, singing at the suggestion that the United States "bomb, bomb, bomb" Iran.

"That old Beach Boys song, 'Bomb Iran'?" McCain said in response to a question about US policy on its diplomatic pariah at an electoral campaign meeting in the state of North Carolina.
.


What can you expect from barbarian??


A nobel price?


something that will make the world better?
 
Colpy
Conservative
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Logic 7 View Post

What can you expect from barbarian??


A nobel price?


something that will make the world better?

It is hilarious to hear something as insignificant as you try to insult a man of the calibre of John McCain. Do you actually know anything about Mr. McCain?
John McCain was a pilot, shot down over North Vietnam. He endured years of torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese because he refused to play their propaganda games and accept early release, offered because his father was an Admiral. This is a man, one who not only talks the talk, but walks the walk.
McCain was also at the forefront of the Congressional effort to confront and eliminate American use of torture by proxy, in secret prisons, or in their own holding facilities. Barbarian? I don't think so.
Logic, you are a nasty little piece of work, unfit to polish McCain's boots.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

McCain has lost it.

And that seems to me to be essential criteria for political asperants in the west.
 
Logic 7
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

It is hilarious to hear something as insignificant as you try to insult a man of the calibre of John McCain. Do you actually know anything about Mr. McCain?
John McCain was a pilot, shot down over North Vietnam. He endured years of torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese because he refused to play their propaganda games and accept early release, offered because his father was an Admiral. This is a man, one who not only talks the talk, but walks the walk.
McCain was also at the forefront of the Congressional effort to confront and eliminate American use of torture by proxy, in secret prisons, or in their own holding facilities. Barbarian? I don't think so.
Logic, you are a nasty little piece of work, unfit to polish McCain's boots.



John McCain wasnt only a pilot,but also an idiot, hasnt he learned something from iraq war or from the vietnam war??i don't care where he went, or not, he is a barbarian at the highest level to say such thing, this is a direct quote from him, when you guys are screaming when apperently withouth direct quote, that iran wanted to wipe israel off the map, pathetic how you guys are hypocryte, but that doesnt surprise me, coming from you , i can expect all kinds of stupidity.
 
s243a
#18
At least McCain didn't do this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu29F8NfRvI

because then he would really be in trouble.
 
Colpy
Conservative
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Logic 7 View Post

John McCain wasnt only a pilot,but also an idiot, hasnt he learned something from iraq war or from the vietnam war??i don't care where he went, or not, he is a barbarian at the highest level to say such thing, this is a direct quote from him, when you guys are screaming when apperently withouth direct quote, that iran wanted to wipe israel off the map, pathetic how you guys are hypocryte, but that doesnt surprise me, coming from you , i can expect all kinds of stupidity.

So tell me, oh judgemental one, what have you sacrificed in the name of your so-called principles? I mean besides the time you've spent being an obnoxious little insect on these threads.

Spend 5 or 6 years in captivity under torture because you believe the readily-available release is WRONG, then you will be fit to criticize McCain's moral fibre.

Until then, you passing judgement on this man is simply laughable.
 
BitWhys
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

...Spend 5 or 6 years in captivity under torture because you believe the readily-available release is WRONG, then you will be fit to criticize McCain's moral fibre...

Aside from a junkie or two out of the Deer Hunter movie that put him pretty well above reproach. Must be nice.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

So tell me, oh judgemental one, what have you sacrificed in the name of your so-called principles? I mean besides the time you've spent being an obnoxious little insect on these threads.

Spend 5 or 6 years in captivity under torture because you believe the readily-available release is WRONG, then you will be fit to criticize McCain's moral fibre.

Until then, you passing judgement on this man is simply laughable.

I have much the same opinion of Mr McCain as does comrade Logic 7. Mr McCain is certifiable scum who long ago used up any points he may have earned from imprisonment and the loss of an expensive aircraft, you are a too easily gained servent of the false hero, your worship of this murdering scumbag who isn't fit to suck on the same body of air as comrade Logic 7 reeks of decadent obsolete thinking that this planet can no longer afford nor tolerate. Your support of this man exists as evidence of the appaling lack of discrimination and taste that the citizens of this country have to endure. There seems to be no limit to the fairy tales you have assimilated into your entirely fictional world view. I suggest that you spend less time with your enormous head stuck in the refridgerator and a lot more in school where you should so obviously have stayed.
I make these observations not only thinking of your personall well being but that of others who may encounter your presence and the discomfort they will no doubt have to endure.

PS; hope your feeling better, the weather is nice, walking is good, no ice-cream for you
 
Colpy
Conservative
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys View Post

Aside from a junkie or two out of the Deer Hunter movie that put him pretty well above reproach. Must be nice.

Not at all.
It is one thing to criticize the man's policies, another to attack the man. The folks on here that are attacking McCain are about as brain-dead lefty as they come, with absolutely no respect for any view other than their own, and I sincerely doubt they even KNOW a single McCain policy. They just troll because to be obnoxious is FUN!
I don't agree with some of McCain's ideas, but the man should be respected.
 
folcar
#23
Then maybe Canada... haven't you heard those rumors?

Already happened, wait! that was that the South Park Movie?
 
BitWhys
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

...another to attack the man. The folks on here that are attacking McCain are about as brain-dead lefty as they come...

tell me you didn't do that all in one breath.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Not at all.
It is one thing to criticize the man's policies, another to attack the man. The folks on here that are attacking McCain are about as brain-dead lefty as they come, with absolutely no respect for any view other than their own, and I sincerely doubt they even KNOW a single McCain policy. They just troll because to be obnoxious is FUN!
I don't agree with some of McCain's ideas, but the man should be respected.

Right. I have respect for the fella, but the idea of bombing Iran is quite premature. Enough facts aren't available to warrant bombing because of this nuke thing. Typical of US admin is to shoot first with a minimum of rationale, and then justify it (or try to) later.
 
s243a
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Right. I have respect for the fella, but the idea of bombing Iran is quite premature. Enough facts aren't available to warrant bombing because of this nuke thing. Typical of US admin is to shoot first with a minimum of rationale, and then justify it (or try to) later.

The idea of bombing Iran is premature and McCain said that himself. Still, making light of bombing another country is in bad taste for a presidential hopefully.
 
normbc9
Conservative
#27
Gilbert,
What you are hearing is exactly what the foundation this administration is now laying. I agree about McCain's integrity but during this Presidential campagn run has bee Mr. Flip-Flop. He is either fish or fowl and can't be both. I do respect his record but his current attempts to attrcat supporters isn't what I would call courageous. It took courage to walk into the Iraqi marketplace with security troops and aircraft hovereing overhead. It was foolish to state that things were improving over there. If it in fact had improved, whay all of the securtiy mechanisms in place? I'm not a defeatist but I try to be pratical. Things amy improve in Iraq but at this point in time it is only "ever so slowly." Iran may be one of the sources of supply and agitation but there are six other Arabic nations surrounding Iraq who all are covertly supplying the insurgents also. The Iranians have a right to develop any sources of energy they wish. They are a sovereign nation just as the US is. What gives the US the right to dictate to Iran? What happened after we pulled the plug on the Shah? The militant Muslims moved in. Who has to share in the responsibilty for that event? In my opinion the US must shoulder its fair share of the burden. We can't re-write history but we sure could affect its outcome from this day forward.
 
s243a
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by normbc9 View Post

The Iranians have a right to develop any sources of energy they wish. They are a sovereign nation just as the US is. What gives the US the right to dictate to Iran? What happened after we pulled the plug on the Shah? The militant Muslims moved in. Who has to share in the responsibilty for that event? In my opinion the US must shoulder its fair share of the burden. We can't re-write history but we sure could affect its outcome from this day forward.


A stitch in time saves nine Mr Ostridge.

.
 
Zzarchov
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by normbc9 View Post

The Iranians have a right to develop any sources of energy they wish. They are a sovereign nation just as the US is. What gives the US the right to dictate to Iran? What happened after we pulled the plug on the Shah? The militant Muslims moved in. Who has to share in the responsibilty for that event? In my opinion the US must shoulder its fair share of the burden. We can't re-write history but we sure could affect its outcome from this day forward.

Well, part of sovereign nation is a two way street. You are free to build nuclear weapons, they are free to bomb you.
If you start saying there is a higher power, to tell you what you can and cannot do, you are no longer sovereign. If the USA is no longer sovereign, then sure as hell, neither is Iran and others CAN tell it what to do.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Not at all.
It is one thing to criticize the man's policies, another to attack the man. The folks on here that are attacking McCain are about as brain-dead lefty as they come, with absolutely no respect for any view other than their own, and I sincerely doubt they even KNOW a single McCain policy. They just troll because to be obnoxious is FUN!
I don't agree with some of McCain's ideas, but the man should be respected.


The man suffers from PTSD, he's not fit to be presedent, he belongs to corporate anybody and he's been selling his celebrity status fo years to the highest bidder. What do you suppose he thinks about medicare?
 

Similar Threads

103
Would you bomb a school?
by earth_as_one | Mar 10th, 2009
91
Why Don't You Bomb Yourself
by darkbeaver | Jan 13th, 2008
8
Russians and their new bomb
by Tonington | Sep 13th, 2007