PM Harper's response to the IPCC report

Karlin
PM Harper's response to the [Feb 2nd 2007]IPCC report on global warming was to point out that the opposition parties here just complain about the conservative's response to global warming , whereas Harper is complaining about the opposition parties.

That outta help a lot, thanks for the Harpocracy.

On a more positive note, here is his Environment Minister, 'talking a better jibjab' than his boss did at least:
'Planet's future is at stake,' says Baird
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/02/02/canada-climate-070202.html

and for referance, about the IPCC report:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/020107T.shtml

Unfortunatly, there is one statement in the report that will be used to avoid action:
Quote:

"The IPCC, grouping 2,500 scientists from 130 countries, is also set to say that oceans will keep rising for more than 1,000 years even if governments stabilize greenhouse gas emissions."

- it sounds like there is no use to reduce our fossil fuels emissions because it is going to be bad anyhow. Thats not true, the severity of the changes will depend on what we do in the next 10 years, it will help a lot to reduce emissions as much as possible.

At least they DID blame FOSSIL FUEL EMISSONS, mentioning it by name, another first in these warnings.

Will Canada do it's part to lead the world out of the heat? Other nations are willing to do this much:
Quote:

"Thirty-five industrial nations aim to cut emissions of greenhouse gases to 5 percent below 1990 levels by 2008-12"

NOT Canada!! Canada is on track to maybe stabalise emissions by 2012, not get down to where we were in 1990, the accepted benchmark for getting started - actual levels of emissions that will not be ADDING to global warming will have to get back to about 1965 levels. That target is achievable by embracing alternative energy and reducing our use of fossil fuels to about 10% of what we use now, completely do-able within 10 years if we start now and stop 'blaming the other guys".

darkbeaver
Republican
What's I find remarkable about Harpolong Cashidy and his merry band of godwhacks is there 180
degree pivot on the issue, has a change of colour ever occured more swiftly, the moral of this story is that public opinion and reality still count.

PS: slime, scum, scabs and boogers are green too.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

What's I find remarkable about Harpolong Cashidy and his merry band of godwhacks is there 180
degree pivot on the issue, has a change of colour ever occured more swiftly, the moral of this story is that public opinion and reality still count.

And will continue to count as long as they are in a minority position.
If, by some act of evil they get a majority in the next federal elections, their concern for the avergae people and our particular needs will fully evaporate.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctus View Post

And will continue to count as long as they are in a minority position.
If, by some act of evil they get a majority in the next federal elections, their concern for the avergae people and our particular needs will fully evaporate.

FOR SURE BROTHER SANCTUS, AN ACT OF GREAT EVIL IT WOULD BE.

sanctus

FOR SURE BROTHER SANCTUS, AN ACT OF GREAT EVIL IT WOULD BE.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!!!

Tonington
What do you all think the chances are of a Green being elected now? I think it would be great personally, also I think it would be great if they could be in the leaders debates, not likely though until they can at least win a seat.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

What do you all think the chances are of a Green being elected now? I think it would be great personally, also I think it would be great if they could be in the leaders debates, not likely though until they can at least win a seat.

I don't know to be honest with you! I did, before the last election, talk to the canidate in my riding from the Green Party for quite some time. Interesting platform. I suspect they may be a bit too on the edge for the average voter. I wouldn't mind them being a presence in the House though, and would certainly prefer them to the Bloc.

Tonington

I don't know to be honest with you! I did, before the last election, talk to the canidate in my riding from the Green Party for quite some time. Interesting platform. I suspect they may be a bit too on the edge for the average voter. I wouldn't mind them being a presence in the House though, and would certainly prefer them to the Bloc.

They definitely are pretty edgy, half the problem is association. When I put a green party sign on my lawn a few years ago, nearly every random person who asked about it thought I was a marijuana party supporter.

If people knew what their platform consisted of, they might not think they are so bad.

sanctus

They definitely are pretty edgy, half the problem is association. When I put a green party sign on my lawn a few years ago, nearly every random person who asked about it thought I was a marijuana party supporter.

If people knew what their platform consisted of, they might not think they are so bad.

I remember telling a friend of mine, also a priest, that I had been investigating them and his reaction was just about the same. He even said, "but they're radicals, aren't they?"

Vicious
I fully support the Green party. I would never vote for them. But I like the fact that they will siphon off votes from the NDP and Liberals.

BitWhys
The only good reason Harper wouldn't be aware of the NDP five point plan would be he's incapable of listening. Layton should be playing T-Ball with that lying fascist's tender parts instead of stroking them. (yes, I'm losing patience with them)

the Green Party have a brand name, a kiss-up for a boss and absolutely no budget plan.

Tonington
Which is why they'd make a crummy government, but I think their presence can't be a bad thing.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Harper's an a$$. Jack Lenin is a N aive D ense P ussy . I don't know what to make of the Liberals these days, but I would suspect that they'll be the usual say-or-do-anything-to-get-or-stay-in-power party, greens have some good ideas but they scare me economically, Dippers haven't got a clue about fiscal responsibility either, the Bloc is ....... well .......... the Bloc, etc.
I don't have much hope for any of them having much intelligence. But perhaps a coalotion gov't might be okay.

Vicious
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys View Post

The only good reason Harper wouldn't be aware of the NDP five point plan would be he's incapable of listening. Layton should be playing T-Ball with that lying fascist's tender parts instead of stroking them. (yes, I'm losing patience with them)

the Green Party have a brand name, a kiss-up for a boss and absolutely no budget plan.

I saw you hanging around the thread and thought I throw a slow one down the middle of the plate.

It must sting when your guy gets in bed with the devil. Has your allegience moved a step further left?

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Vicious View Post

I fully support the Green party. I would never vote for them. But I like the fact that they will siphon off votes from the NDP and Liberals.

So you don't "fully" support them at all. If you did, why wouldn't you vote for them. Honestly though, I don't think the Green Party even factors as a major voice for anything in federal politics. I would guess that the majority of voters either do not really know who they are, or if they have heard of them, could care less what they believe or advocate.

When all is said and done, Canada has been, and remains pretty much a two party country. Or, to put it another way, one can almost predict the next government will either be Liberal or Conservative.

Anything else is a diversion.

darkbeaver
Republican

I remember telling a friend of mine, also a priest, that I had been investigating them and his reaction was just about the same. He even said, "but they're radicals, aren't they?"

These are radical times, requiring radical thinking and radical action, that's not a radically new solution.

Vicious
I support their right to be a federal political party.

I don't need to vote for them to support their right to form a political party.

sanctus

I support their right to be a federal political party.

I don't need to vote for them to support their right to form a political party.

Who is denying them that right? They already are a federal party.

BitWhys
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

...Dippers haven't got a clue about fiscal responsibility either...

actually most NDP provinicial governments can go toe-to-toe with the best of them.

for the most part balancing a budget is pretty easy if you have the brains to pay attention to your staff.

Northboy

Good Post...

Vicious
Sorry - you equated 'support' with voting for them. I was only supporting their right to exist. Just trying to clarify

BitWhys

I saw you hanging around the thread and thought I throw a slow one down the middle of the plate.

It must sting when your guy gets in bed with the devil. Has your allegience moved a step further left?

my allegience?

I'm all for cooperation, but putting up with Harper's trash talk all the time without calling bull**** once in a while makes me wonder why Jack isn't letting his spots show once in a while or if he has any spots to show at all.

Vicious
Quote: Originally Posted by Northboy View Post

Good Post...

The post is good becauase it calls a politician a funny name, states that politicians reacting to public opinion is a good (although surprising) thing, or because of the identification or other green things (I must say that if your scab is green it's likely infected).

Or possibly you are agreeing with the comment on how well the conservatives have swiftly move to address one of their weaknesses?

Tonington
Anyone can throw on a coat of green paint, doesn't mean anything if you can see the rust or rot showing through.

hermanntrude
so what we need is extra-thick, rust-covering paint?

Vicious
Quote: Originally Posted by BitWhys View Post

my allegience?

I'm all for cooperation, but putting up with Harper's trash talk all the time without calling bull**** once in a while makes me wonder why Jack isn't letting his spots show once in a while or if he has any spots to show at all.

In my opinion Jack knows if he plays nice and and wins any concessions from the government on anything - environment, budget, anything. Then he can stand up come next election and say the NDP is relevent and plays nice with others while defending the everyday Canadian. If Harper were smart (and I think he is) he'll throw Jack that bone. And make sure everyone knows that the Liberals dropped the ball on the environment and it was the conservatives with the help of Jack and his crew to get it done. Should be worth a 5 point bump in the polls for the NDP, mostly at the expense of the Liberals.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

so what we need is extra-thick, rust-covering paint?

More like a good buff with a sander.

Vicious

More like a good buff with a sander.

The paint only has to be nicer looking than the Liberals.

Tonington

The paint only has to be nicer looking than the Liberals.

And that sums up politics very nicely. Not at all about issues, only what they can do to look better than the "others". Focus time, money and energy on the "others" rather than putting that intellectual process to a good use...

CDNBear
Why don't we just round all these threads up and call them "The Hypocracy Outlet" ???