What's your diet?

View Poll Results: What diet do you follow (or strive to follow)?
Vegetarian (but not necessarily vegan). 2 16.67%
Vegan. 2 16.67%
Other 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Machjo
Or at least strive to follow?

Mine's vegan.

http://www.ivu.org/

I fixed your link. Cosmo

Machjo
Why did only two options show up in the poll?

I had included other. Is there a limit of two options in the polls?

Machjo
Oh well, ignore the poll then; maybe you can just post your response instead.

Anotehr interesting site I found:

http://www.serv-online.org/

I fixed your link. Cosmo

Cosmo
I was vegetarian for nearly a decade then the smell of cooking maple bacon derailed me. These days, I eat pretty much all kinds of food, but still have an affinity for rice and beans. I'd starve without them! I also am incredibly particular about the meat I buy.

I grew up in a Romanian home so we were big on the cream, butter, high fat stuff. Seems to have served me well since I live on high fat foods and my cholesterol is 142.

I never was a health food nut, but I still think we're not designed to eat meat. Unfortunately, I do like chicken and every now and then, a good steak. We are celebrating our birthdays tomorrow (my chick's b-day is one day after mine) with nummy steaks. And chocolate.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo

Oh well, ignore the poll then; maybe you can just post your response instead.

Anotehr interesting site I found:

http://www.serv-online.org/

You can add as many options as you like, but the interface is a bit strange. That happened to me the first time I tried to use the poll as well. You can fix it by clicking the "edit" button on the lower left hand side of your post.

I also fixed your links for ya.

JoeyB
MEAT!!!!

protein rich, low fat, med- low carb, low sugar and plenty of water, coffee, chilli and surfing(in the water, not just the net).

I haven't eaten Polar Bear or Fur Seal yet.

Machjo
Strange.

Thanks for fixing the lings, Cosmo, but I still can't figure out how to add the third "Other" option.

How do you do it?

Cosmo
Machjo ... what do you want to add? List it and I'll see if I can fix.

thulin
If god wanted us to be vegetarian, he would not have made cows out of meat.

Homer Simpson

the caracal kid
you can call me vegan, but that barely scratches the surface.

I eat an alkalyne diet, and properly balancing the GI of foods in relation to activity (so no "sugar spikes"). The most obvious thing that extends from this is I don't eat any sugars.

I eat organic, and i do not eat processed foods (no additives, preservatives, colours, etc).

I also do not eat plants and plant derivatives that are harmful to the body. An example of such being carageenan.

I also do not eat any GMO foods, which eliminates modern wheats, and canola (canola oil: why eat something orginally designed to be a lubricant?). I minimize the consumption of gluton containing foods.

I eat protien rich superfoods from the sea such as chlorella, which is more protien dense than any "meat".

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

Machjo ... what do you want to add? List it and I'll see if I can fix.

I wanted to add a third option:

"Other."

Thanks if you can help.

Cosmo
Wow, Caracal! What a serious diet. I used to be way more relaxed than that ... I just didn't eat living things. If it walked, crawled, swam or flew and had a face, I didn't eat it. For me it was a philosophical issue more than a health issue.

For health reasons I've tried pretty much everything out there and haven't found that diet really has a big impact on my health. I have fibromyalgia so I'm willing to do most anything to feel better, but as long as I eat somewhat healthy I don't see a big difference in diet. I still feel that eating meat isn't what I'm supposed to do. Everyone is different, tho.

Toro
I eat Taco Bell three times a day, every single day.

But I have a milk with it.

Well, a Ya-Hoo.

Toro
That's actually pretty funny that the choices are "vegan", "vegetarian" and "other" since "other" is about 99% of the population.

the caracal kid
i can relate, cosmo.

I was vegitarian for years (didn't eat diary directly, but didn't make sure dairy products were not in pre-made foods; ate fresh salmon in season being from the coast)

Then, for performance reasons I researched diet and learned quite a bit. For one, I always suffered from sinus problems and ensuring no casien is in my diet (dairy component), I don't suffer from conjestion anymore. IGF-I is a frightening component of dairy as well.

However, I experienced a serious liver problem (acute) the result of "something in the water" (best guess of docs). After my liver healed itself (the docs just kept monitoring), I did private testing for allergies and other body issues that could have effected the liver. That is when I started to get serious about the GI monitoring, and the effects many potential allergens. Luckily, I didn't eat the majority of potential allergens to begin with, so the 9 allergen diet to test for sensitivities was easy.

My gf went to a seminar by Franco Caveleri on diet. While he recommends certian meats and whey, the rest of his dietary suggestions are worth checking out. The book is called "the potential within". His company/book site is www.biologicnr.com

Cosmo
Thanks for the link, Caracal. I suspect food allergies and additives cause more problems than most of us realize.

Are you an athlete? I know how important the right foods were back when I used to lift weights. I pretty much lived on protein back then, but I was also eating meat at the time.

Now I don't need any special diet ... sitting at the computer and strolls in the park don't require anything special.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

That's actually pretty funny that the choices are "vegan", "vegetarian" and "other" since "other" is about 99% of the population.

Well,"vegan" is beating "other" 2-1, so far, with "other vegetarian" lagging behind at 0

Toro

Well,"vegan" is beating "other" 2-1, so far, with "other vegetarian" lagging behind at 0

Ha!

Not anymore.

2-2!

Now, where's my T-bone?

unclepercy

Ha!

Not anymore.

2-2!

Now, where's my T-bone?

Amen, Brother Ben. My cholesterol is high, but otherwise my blood is perfect. However, I am not eating dirt and water. Nor am I ingesting anything that came out of the ocean that looks like a monster. I can't even eat in a seafood restaurant. No milk either.

But other than that, I can put away the Cheetos and Dr. Pepper.

Uncle

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercy

Nor am I ingesting anything that came out of the ocean that looks like a monster.

I'm with you on that one, Uncle. I call 'em "sea bugs" ... about once a year I can eat good Atlantic Lobster tail as long as it's in a restaurant where I don't have to see it prior to preparation. I always feel I'm missing out since everyone loves seafood except me, but I just can't bear the thought of putting something that looks like that in my mouth. ewwwww! Shades of Fear Factor!

FiveParadox
I am vegetarian ; although, strictly speaking, not by choice (medical reasons led to the imposition of that particular diet). I don't mind at all, though; I was never a huge fan of most meats.

LisNJai
I am pretty much High Protein and fruits and veggies... I live on protein shakes.. and totally love them.. My whole family has shakes everyday.. They are a great source of food... due to the purity of the ingredients... and the places it has all come from...

I guess I could be classed as a Health Nut.. hehe... and it is alllll good.. lol

humanbeing
Vegetarian, I guess. I eat some foods that were prepared with a bit of dairy, and I love the honey. I don't slam milk though. Yogurt I eat occasionally.

Yesterday, I screwed up. I ate a friend's pasta that had a small amount of ground beef. Didn't notice until his sister asked me why I was eating something with meat. I just said screw it and ate the rest anyhow whilst making a vain attempt to avoid the meat. I need to be more careful. But really, so long as I am not buying or choosing it myself, or taking it when it is offered, I'm not too concerned.

athabaska
We don't eat any red meat. Only fish.

A friend of ours is a restaurant inspector and we don't eat any food we don't prepare ourselves. Never had a taste for restaurant or fast food traces of urine, feces or snot.

http://humor.beecy.net/songs/chinesechicken/

Hotshot
>>HEALTH QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION
>>
>>Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?
>>
>>A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste
>>them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart
>>will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life
>>of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.
>>
>>
>>Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
>>
>>A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and
>>corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an
>>efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain?
>>Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy
>>vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily
>>allowance of vegetable products.
>>
>>
>>Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
>>
>>A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that
>>means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of
>>the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!
>>
>>
>>Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
>>
>>A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If
>>you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.
>>
>>
>>Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise
>>program?
>>A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good !
>>
>>
>>Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
>>
>>A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! .. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.
>>In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad
>>for you?
>>
>>
>> Q:Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the
>> middle?
>>
>>A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should
>>only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.
>>
>>
>>Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
>>
>>A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best
>>feel-good food around!
>>
>>
>>Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
>>
>>A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
>>
>>
>>Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
>>
>>A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!
>>
>> Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had
>> about food and diets.
>>
>>And remember:
>>
>>"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
>>safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
>>sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body
>>thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Machjo
Hot shot. That was good. I laughed all the way through.

RomSpaceKnight
Had a heart attack and quad bypass in April. On a low fat no salt added diet. No junkfood (donuts, cheesie puffs or (gulp) chocolate...). 1% milk and 67% fat reduced margarine. Miracle Whip instead of Mayo. Cereal for breakfast not bacon and eggs. Because I now cook for myself not order out or go out, I can now make a light version of Hollandaise sauce so treat myself to Eggs Benny on some weekends. Have a young lady stay over for breakfast and feed her eggs benedict in morning........... Trying to limit my meat portions to pack of playing card size. Not a real veggie fan, carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower about all I like. Take a multivitamin daily. Lots of fruit and bread. Fish 4 times per week, beef, pork and chicken once per week.

Vereya
I don't follow any diet. I lost a lot of weight this year, now I am two sizes smaller than I used to be this time last year. So now I can eat everything I want, whenever I want and in any quantities! I have a poor appetite, however, so that is not a problem.