Canadian dollar falls after Liberals projected to win election

B00Mer
+1 / -1

The Canadian dollar fell as Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Party was set to win the most seats in Monday’s national election, ending Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s decade-long rule.

Canada’s three major broadcasters -- CTV, CBC and Global News -- projected a Liberal win, while saying it was too early to predict whether the party would have enough seats for a majority government. The benchmark 10-year government bond gained 12 cents to $107.12 (Canadian), pushing the security’s yield down one basis point to 1.46 per cent. The currency weakened versus 15 of 16 major peers in the Asian trading session.

Trudeau campaigned on a plan that included running $25 billion in deficits over three years to stimulate the economy with infrastructure spending, while increasing taxes on top earners and cutting them for the middle class.

“Investors are somewhat cautious about the change in government,” said Bipan Rai, director of foreign-exchange strategy at Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce’s CIBC World Markets unit by phone from Toronto. “It might be due to some uncertainty about how the fiscal picture is going to look.”

The loonie fell 0.2 percent to $1.3044 per U.S. dollar at 10:10 p.m. in Toronto - or 76.66 cents (U.S.). At the close of North American trading at 4 p.m. (ET), it was trading at 76.81.

The collapse in the price of crude oil, one of Canada’s largest exports, tipped the country into recession in the first half of this year and has since pushed the loonie to its lowest in 11 years, while bond yields dropped to their lowest ever.

Canadian dollar falls after Liberals projected to win election - The Globe and Mail

One word "Greece" - Liberals did it to Ontario.. because we all know, budgets balance themselves.

But that's OK, Canadians will all be to stoned to know they are getting an a$$ fukking.

personal touch
J.T. will be good for business,our present state of affairs of the dollar and business is the result of the cons.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touch View Post

J.T. will be good for business,our present state of affairs of the dollar and business is the result of the cons.

JT is playing off his daddy's name.. good for business my ****. But look at the that blue in Alberta, and even BC.

The investors have spoken and the pullout of investment in Canada has started.. one word "Greece" and the writing is on the wall, just look at Ontario under Liberal leadership.

FreeAlberta.com: For An Independent Alberta

You see the common guy doesn't get Globalization, if business doesn't like who's running the country they just take their toys and money and move to another country for 4 years... look at Alberta, it not just about OIL, it's about who running the show, and the loss of thousands of jobs to Canadians.

In todays volatile world if you don't have a second passport, you're screwed, a tax free place to live and put your money.

Where is the cheapest place to buy citizenship? - BBC News

Tecumsehsbones
+2

B00Mer
Not really T-Bones a lower Canadian dollar is great for my business. People buy Canadian first.. the U.S. Border towns are taking a beating because of our dollars, the tied has turned and now American shoppers are coming to Canada..

It reminds me of the St. John reversing falls.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Not really T-Bones a lower Canadian dollar is great for my business. People buy Canadian first.. the U.S. Border towns are taking a beating because of our dollars, the tied has turned and now American shoppers are coming to Canada..

It reminds me of the St. John reversing falls.

Here. . .

spaminator

Tecumsehsbones
Yup. Next step. . . mandatory niqab for all Canadians.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yup. Next step. . . mandatory niqab for all Canadians.

Why stop there... why not mandatory Burkas.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Why stop there... why not mandatory Burkas.

Good idea. It would improve your appearance immeasurably.

B00Mer
+1
Well investing in a country that wants to spend, spend and spend like Greece.. time will tell if investors pull their money out of Canada, and the jobs along with it.. and I don't think we will have to wait very long.

Love to see what Justine does about the TPP? Any pre-election promises on that front?

The Canadian dollar may give the Mexican Peso a run for is value.

FreeAlberta.com: For An Independent Alberta

relic
+3 / -1
You f uc tards seem to have no problem overlooking 9 years of red ink from steve, and he started with money in the pot. Arseholes

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

You f uc tards seem to have no problem overlooking 9 years of red ink from steve, and he started with money in the pot. Arseholes

Justine has promised more red ink. Of course a-s-s-wipes like yourself ignore the fact that Steve guided our economy through a global financial meltdown almost completely unscathed at the cost of some red ink. He had it balanced before he left so Justine has a clean slate to start with. Last leader who promised red ink was Bob Rae in Ontario in the early 90s. You can see how well that worked out for him.

B00Mer

You know, I heard the same story from the democrats in the USA, they all complained about the debt George Bush racked up.. 5.73 trillion, but don't have a big issue with the debt Obama racked up 18.15 trillion.

Yes 4 times that of his predecessor.

I'm sure that Justine won't let you down when he quadruples the Canadian deficit and gives money to all those welfare grabbing lazy potheads.

So take note Canada's National debt today is 1.2 trillion, let's see what it is after a Trudeau term.

EagleSmack
+3

You know, I heard the same story from the democrats in the USA, they all complained about the debt George Bush racked up.. 5.73 trillion, but don't have a big issue with the debt Obama racked up 18.15 trillion.

I'm sure that Justine won't let you down when he quadruples the Canadian deficit and gives money to all those welfare grabbing lazy potheads.

So take note Canada National debt today is 1.2 trillion, let's see what it is after a Trudeau term.

Well maybe the Libs can do what our Dems do... just deny it. No matter what. Oh and blame everything on the predecessor non-stop.

It's pretty effective with sheep.

captain morgan
+2

Lemme guess, your full time job is that of a drooling moron.

No doubt, the best in your field

TenPenny
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Justine has promised more red ink. Of course a-s-s-wipes like yourself ignore the fact that Steve guided our economy through a global financial meltdown almost completely unscathed at the cost of some red ink. He had it balanced before he left so Justine has a clean slate to start with. Last leader who promised red ink was Bob Rae in Ontario in the early 90s. You can see how well that worked out for him.

So, red ink is ok if it's Harper, but not ok if it's anyone else?

EagleSmack
+1

See what I mean Boomer... relic is already doing it!

Time for you to get many photos of broken records.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

So, red ink is ok if it's Harper, but not ok if it's anyone else?

And there is another!

(Love you Ten... nothing personal. )

Corduroy
+1
The dollar's back up this morning. The market is irrational, but it was probably down because of the uncertainty or a minority government. Now that we have a majority, those nutcases at the stock market have calmed down a little.

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

The dollar's back up this morning. The market is irrational, but it was probably down because of the uncertainty or a minority government. Now that we have a majority, those nutcases at the stock market have calmed down a little.

Actually a lower dollars is much better for Canada..

1. keeps Canadians buying Canadian and not so much cross border shopping.

2. helps with our remaining manufacturing sector, and tourism.

Buy Canadian and get a 35% savings on your dollar.

Ludlow

So take note Canada's National debt today is 1.2 trillion, let's see what it is after a Trudeau term.

yeah it's Keynesian. Or is that Kardasian. I get em cornfused

lone wolf
Canadian dollar falls.... Gravity, eh?...

mentalfloss
I heard it went up this morning along with stocks.

We won't know the full economic impact of this platform until they finish their term but many economists (excluding that fake one we had as our PM) were saying now was the perfect time to make significant investments in infrastructure.

lone wolf
Yeah ... Interest rates are low - and if we were still borrowing from the Bank of Canada, they'd be much lower and simple

MHz
How does that compare to what it was when Harper started? What it is at when Jr. leaves office will be the time you can judge how he did 'overall'.

Jinentonix
+2
The headline is a non-starter. IIRC, pretty much after every change of guard in Ottawa the dollar takes a hit because of the uncertainty of having a new leadership with a new, as yet unproven economic platform.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I heard it went up this morning along with stocks.

We won't know the full economic impact of this platform until they finish their term but many economists (excluding that fake one we had as our PM) were saying now was the perfect time to make significant investments in infrastructure.

Canada should annex the States that border the Great Lakes and start fish farming on a scale that the harvest from there alone would feed all of North America at it's present population. (if the changing weather allows that sort of development.
Mexico would become our biggest trading partner with the US being able to survive using transit fees to support the ones who have no income from employment.

If 'dead water' is caused by algae plumes the 'cure' would be floating wind turbines that feed air bubblers and the algae would then become food for some fish or a base for roots on the floor of the lakes.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Interesting numbers.

Purely fictional, of course, but par for the course when you're stupid.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

How does that compare to what it was when Harper started? What it is at when Jr. leaves office will be the time you can judge how he did 'overall'.

I can hardly wait.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Canada should annex the States that border the Great Lakes and start fish farming on a scale that the harvest from there alone would feed all of North America at it's present population. (if the changing weather allows that sort of development.
Mexico would become our biggest trading partner with the US being able to survive using transit fees to support the ones who have no income from employment.

If 'dead water' is caused by algae plumes the 'cure' would be floating wind turbines that feed air bubblers and the algae would then become food for some fish or a base for roots on the floor of the lakes.

It would be much easier for the States to annex the provinces that border the Great Lakes - all one of them - and whose Premier doesn't give a damn about farming (even if she was Minister of Agriculture once-upon-a-time)