Ted Cruz: Can't touch this

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Why?

The MSM doesn't like this boy(Cruz) so they have to keep him from being heard.

See Side-By-Side Shots of Sneaky CBS Editing of Ted Cruz Interview | NewsBusters

If they had asked a question and cut it because they didn't like the answer, that would be one thing, but the only issue here is Ted's inability to stay on topic.

They didn't ask "can you please eat up 2 minutes of air time with a rant about Obama?", they said "Will you run for president?". He even tried a second time to get him to answer the question.

When going on these shows, the deal isn't that you can just yell out anything that you feel like saying regardless of the topic at hand and expect them to disseminate it for you.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Christianna View Post

Walter FOAD. I am out of here. Your disgusting tripe is more than I can handle.

You must vote NDP.

Walter
He tells it like it is.

Ted Cruz: The Imperial Presidency of Barack Obama - WSJ.com

BornRuff
+1

He tells it like it is.

Ted Cruz: The Imperial Presidency of Barack Obama - WSJ.com

It would be easier to take him seriously if he was not so actively involved in making the US Congress as dysfunctional as it currently is.

The guy is more than happy to do serious damage to the US just to make political stands that he knows he cannot win. At this point it would be irresponsible not to explore every legal option available that would avoid leaving the fate of the US up to people like this who want to burn the US to the ground.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuff View Post

It would be easier to take him seriously if he was not so actively involved in making the US Congress as dysfunctional as it currently is.

The guy is more than happy to do serious damage to the US just to make political stands that he knows he cannot win. At this point it would be irresponsible not to explore every legal option available that would avoid leaving the fate of the US up to people like this who want to burn the US to the ground.

What damage has he done?

BornRuff

What damage has he done?

All of the turmoil that he caused leading the push to not fund the government or raise the debt ceiling when he knew that there was 0 chance that he would get what he was demanding.

If he is going to utilize every legal trick available to him, regardless of the repressions for the American people, why would Obama not also use every legal option to try to help people?

Walter

All of the turmoil that he caused leading the push to not fund the government or raise the debt ceiling when he knew that there was 0 chance that he would get what he was demanding.

If he is going to utilize every legal trick available to him, regardless of the repressions for the American people, why would Obama not also use every legal option to try to help people?

No damage then.

pgs
Free Thinker

Sounds like what his electorate sent him to Washington for .

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Sounds like what his electorate sent him to Washington for .

Sure. In the same vein though, Obama was sent to Washington to do certain things too. If guys like Cruz are going to use ever legal loophole to stall and frustrate the legislative process, people like Obama are going to have to utilize all legal options available to them to get around this.

No damage then.

Standard and Poor's pegged the cost of the government shutdown at 24 billion dollars, and that was just one of his adventures.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

Sure. In the same vein though, Obama was sent to Washington to do certain things too. If guys like Cruz are going to use ever legal loophole to stall and frustrate the legislative process, people like Obama are going to have to utilize all legal options available to them to get around this.

Standard and Poor's pegged the cost of the government shutdown at 24 billion dollars, and that was just one of his adventures.

One man shut down the government ? The Democrat dominated Senate had no part in the shutdown ? The President himself had no part in the debacle ?

BornRuff

One man shut down the government ? The Democrat dominated Senate had no part in the shutdown ? The President himself had no part in the debacle ?

He emerged as the leader of the movement.

The US has a terrible political structure that allows fringe groups to bring the government to a halt pretty easily.

What could the senate do? The clowns in the house were demanding that Obamacare be killed, which was pretty much the central issue that America voted on just a year earlier. Even if the senate wanted to agree to that, Obama would have vetoed the bill.

It is ridiculous that voters can elect a Democratic Senate and a Democratic President, yet a group of people in the house can demand that the central issue of their platform be scrapped or they will shut the government down.

The fact that it can be done is one thing, but to actually go through with it is really disgusting politics.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
But at least he showed a lot of imagination in writing a children's coloring book.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

He emerged as the leader of the movement.

The US has a terrible political structure that allows fringe groups to bring the government to a halt pretty easily.

What could the senate do? The clowns in the house were demanding that Obamacare be killed, which was pretty much the central issue that America voted on just a year earlier. Even if the senate wanted to agree to that, Obama would have vetoed the bill.

It is ridiculous that voters can elect a Democratic Senate and a Democratic President, yet a group of people in the house can demand that the central issue of their platform be scrapped or they will shut the government down.

The fact that it can be done is one thing, but to actually go through with it is really disgusting politics.

So you think government should live beyond it's means and keep printing money , lowering the standard of living for it's citizens and leaving that debt to future citizens ?

taxslave
Free Thinker

So you think government should live beyond it's means and keep printing money , lowering the standard of living for it's citizens and leaving that debt to future citizens ?

There are other places the government could cut spending besides healthcare for the citizens. Like military misadventures around the world. Paying farmers not to grow certain crops.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

There are other places the government could cut spending besides healthcare for the citizens. Like military misadventures around the world. Paying farmers not to grow certain crops.

Sure but where are these proposed cuts ? And who proposed them ?

BornRuff

That is an asinine question, so we are just going to ignore that for now.

Regardless of personal beliefs on certain issues, the issue here is really about democracy. The people gave a clear mandate to Obama and the Senate to implement The Affordable Care Act but a relatively small group decided to hold the entire nation hostage, trying to ruin everyone financially if they didn't get to impose their ideas on everyone else.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Ignoring false dichotomies and other logical fallacies is generally a good idea.

pgs
Free Thinker

Regardless of personal beliefs on certain issues, the issue here is really about democracy. The people gave a clear mandate to Obama and the Senate to implement The Affordable Care Act but a relatively small group decided to hold the entire nation hostage, trying to ruin everyone financially if they didn't get to impose their ideas on everyone else.

Yup the Unaffordable care act . Passed 100% by Democrats in the Senate with not one Republican onboard. Partisan politics much.
And what was so asinine about my question ? It is exactly what you want Cruz and his colleagues to do . And it goes against the wishes of his voters. Kind of hard to be reelected if you p--- off your base .

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Ignoring false dichotomies and other logical fallacies is generally a good idea.

So continuing to run deficit financing has no negative consequences ? How is that credit card debt working for you ?

BornRuff

Yup the Unaffordable care act . Passed 100% by Democrats in the Senate with not one Republican onboard. Partisan politics much.

These sound like direct quotes from Fox News. What exactly is your point?

And what was so asinine about my question ? It is exactly what you want Cruz and his colleagues to do . And it goes against the wishes of his voters. Kind of hard to be reelected if you p--- off your base .

No, they are just talking points that his people use.

He certainly has a responsibility to advocate for the people who voted for him, but normally that is within reasonable ethical guidelines. Shutting the entire government down over an issue that you know you can't win is way outside of that.

DaSleeper

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

These sound like direct quotes from Fox News. What exactly is your point?

No, they are just talking points that his people use.

He certainly has a responsibility to advocate for the people who voted for him, but normally that is within reasonable ethical guidelines. Shutting the entire government down over an issue that you know you can't win is way outside of that.

So cha ching cha ching lets just indebt our children more , with no end in site . Responsible government much .
That sounds like what you are endorsing .
And no I know nothing of fox news I do not receive that station in Canada but please enlighten me as to which Senate Republicans voted for Obamacare and which senate Democrat voted against it. Thought so .

BornRuff

So cha ching cha ching lets just indebt our children more , with no end in site . Responsible government much .
That sounds like what you are endorsing .

I am certainly against Ted Cruz and his buddies wasting 24 billion dollars on a pointless political show.

And no I know nothing of fox news I do not receive that station in Canada but please enlighten me as to which Senate Republicans voted for Obamacare and which senate Democrat voted against it. Thought so .

I will ask again, what is your point?

pgs
Free Thinker

I am certainly against Ted Cruz and his buddies wasting 24 billion dollars on a pointless political show.

I will ask again, what is your point?

A bill signed into law in the Senate covering 6% of the American economy is purely partisan in nature . Something that has never happened in American political life before . That is my point . But of course that is beyond you .
And by the way why is it that uninsured Americans are rejecting the ACA by refusing to sign up ?

BornRuff

A bill signed into law in the Senate covering 6% of the American economy is purely partisan in nature . Something that has never happened in American political life before . That is my point . But of course that is beyond you .
And by the way why is it that uninsured Americans are rejecting the ACA by refusing to sign up ?

Again, what are the actual implications of that? What would you have liked to see differently?

And most importantly, how does it relate to what Ted Cruz did?

Is your point simply that the Senate had a vote along party lines so Ted and his buddies had to shut the government down?

pgs
Free Thinker

Again, what are the actual implications of that? What would you have liked to see differently?

And most importantly, how does it relate to what Ted Cruz did?

Is your point simply that the Senate had a vote along party lines so Ted and his buddies had to shut the government down?

No my point is that the American Government has to reign in it's spending and only the Tea party is doing something about it. And frankly that was what they were sent to Washington to do .
So what would I do differently . Simple I would cut spending wherever possible . I would try and reign in out of control bureaucracy
Exactly like Cruz and the Tea Party .
Life is grand until you run out of grandchildren's money to spend .

BornRuff

No my point is that the American Government has to reign in it's spending and only the Tea party is doing something about it. And frankly that was what they were sent to Washington to do .
So what would I do differently . Simple I would cut spending wherever possible . I would try and reign in out of control bureaucracy
Exactly like Cruz and the Tea Party .

What Cruz and his buddies did cost the US 24 billion dollars and gained nothing. How does the achieve that he was sent there to do?

What I am talking about here has nothing to do with his political views. It has to do with his tactics. He is more than free to advance whatever ideas he choose, but it is very selfish and undemocratic to do so in the way he choose to during budget stupidity.

Walter

Bogus number. WH talking point.

Tecumsehsbones

I don't have any grandchildren, and to be frank, I find the idea of spending your grandchildren's money rather appealing. . .

pgs
Free Thinker

What Cruz and his buddies did cost the US 24 billion dollars and gained nothing. How does the achieve that he was sent there to do?

What I am talking about here has nothing to do with his political views. It has to do with his tactics. He is more than free to advance whatever ideas he choose, but it is very selfish and undemocratic to do so in the way he choose to during budget stupidity.

Actually he gained lots . The shut down plainly showed America where it's political elite's morals are . Closing of an open air memorial
so veterans could not pay respect to fallen comrades . But if the government was closed who closed those memorials ? Sending tourists out of National Parks . But why were those parks employees working with the government shut down .
Oh I know the 24 billion was spent to keep those shut down workers on the job .

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I don't have any grandchildren, and to be frank, I find the idea of spending your grandchildren's money rather appealing. . .

I know you are a liberal .

BornRuff

Bogus number. WH talking point.

Well, no, it is a number calculated by Standard & Poor's, which is an organization that is notably not very friendly with the White House.