The public are running out of patience with Remainers who drum up fake Brexit anxiety


Blackleaf
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Once again, the Remain camp has overplayed its hand. First, it lost the referendum – which it just might have won – 
by insulting the intelligence of the people with a scare campaign so hysterical that it became, to the splendidly laconic British voter, risible. Apparently having learnt nothing from this searing experience, it now gleefully circulates stories of planes having to circle endlessly in the air like the Flying Dutchman because they are unable to land and lorries trapped in an endless purgatory at Dover...

The public are running out of patience with insolent Remainers who drum up fake Brexit anxiety




Janet Daley
14 October 2017
The Telegraph


People like Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond are playing a dirty game to exhaust the public's patience, and it isn't working Credit: Luke MacGregor/Bloomberg


Once again, the Remain camp has overplayed its hand. First, it lost the referendum – which it just might have won – 
by insulting the intelligence of the people with a scare campaign so hysterical that it became, to the splendidly laconic British voter, risible. Apparently having learnt nothing from this searing experience, it now gleefully circulates stories of planes having to circle endlessly in the air like the Flying Dutchman because they are unable to land and lorries trapped in an endless purgatory at Dover.

Message to Remainers: nobody will believe a word you say. Either they will recall your bloodcurdling warnings of the economic Armageddon which was to follow immediately after a vote to Leave and think “yeah, yeah” – or else you will have made them aware, with your endless shrieking about the complications and difficulties of extricating ourselves, of the shocking truth that the consequences of EU membership were much worse than we were led to believe.

Successive political leaders of the Remain persuasion have clearly been lying to us for a generation by implying that we were still a self-governing nation state, when in fact virtually all of our legal and regulatory system was being dictated by Brussels – hence the dire complexity of our withdrawing. Either way, Philip Hammond’s tribe have been deceiving the electorate, predicting doom when it suited them regardless of the facts, and deliberately concealing the true dimensions of our loss of sovereignty

Now, to this lack of credibility they have added treachery. Not just to the Government but much more importantly to the British people who are, bless them, proving remarkably resilient. This may be because it is not just empirical evidence that the Remain campaign avoids confronting (don’t aeroplanes from non-member countries such as the United States manage to get landing rights at European airports?) but simple common sense.

Of course, you don’t enter a negotiation on the assumption that you will never, under any circumstances, walk away. Who does that? In the real world of transactions, as everybody keeps saying, such an idea is ludicrous. And it follows from this that you must make detailed plans (involving money) to prepare for that possibility. Otherwise nobody will believe that you are serious. The reason that three quarters of the public tell pollsters that they believe “no deal is better than bad deal” is because that statement is virtually tautological, and everybody who can see that would presumably also be likely to accept that preparation for such a contingency is required. Which means that the Hammond argument is, yet again, a blithe insult to the intelligence of the electorate.

But this is a power struggle between the EU and the much-diminished national institutions of an individual state which must not be seen to win whatever the cost. The “s” word – sabotage – is being used openly now, by a distinguished former chancellor no less. What Nigel Lawson was suggesting was that there is a concerted conspiracy to undermine the Government’s position, an impression Mr Hammond tried to defuse last Friday by wildly referring to the EU as “the enemy”.


Don’t aeroplanes from non-member countries such as the United States manage to get landing rights at European airports?

Again, to the not-stupid public, it is perfectly clear what is going on here. The Remain rump in government is quite shamelessly colluding with the EU establishment to enforce (or at least pretend to accept) an arbitrary, perverse and utterly illogical set of priorities for these negotiations which ensure that they will never really begin, let alone end. To say that we must settle the precise amount we will pay now and over the coming years before we are permitted to discuss trade relations is tantamount to taking out a mortgage before you know what your income and outgoings are going to be. It is designed to make the process not just difficult but impossible.

There is no doubt, for all that I have said about national courage and scepticism, that this dirty game is having an effect. Anxiety is being actively encouraged as if this were a virtuous thing to do – in the name of “realism”. But realism is not unconnected to what you make happen. Virtually every voice at the real economic coal face is saying that “uncertainty” is what is most destructive: the longer these non-negotiations trail on in recrimination and ambiguity, the more damage is done to business confidence. What is needed is clarity and unified leadership. It is now positively irresponsible to create dissension and disunity: to encourage the EU steamroller to believe that their operatives at Westminster can deliver submission with one more push.

What the EU negotiators and their friends at the Treasury are desperately trying to forestall is that moment when the situation – the outlines and parameters of the future relationship, whatever they may be – becomes perfectly clear. Because, as many business leaders are saying, that will be the first day of the rest of their 
lives. They will adapt and innovate 
to suit those new conditions and 
begin to create a positive future, whatever their views about Brexit may once have been. That is what Brussels most fears.

This is what much of the public believes too – which is why it is angry as well as understandably anxious, and is constantly telling pollsters that it wants everybody to “get on with it”. Another message to Remain: trying to exhaust the country’s desire for Brexit is a failing strategy. What you are actually exhausting is its patience with obstruction and prevarication.

Ironically, in the midst of all this has come a glimmering: a hint of a blink from the EU Council, which might – just might – consider wavering on that merciless list of priorities for negotiation. It might – just might – consider talking about future trade relations at the same time as discussing the amount of cash we will have to hand over.

This could be the last week of the phoney war: not the beginning of the end but at least the end of the beginning.

The public are running out of patience with insolent Remainers who drum up fake Brexit anxiety
Last edited by Blackleaf; Oct 15th, 2017 at 05:50 AM..
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#2
The scare is their only tactic. Look at global warming, wmds in 40 minutes, flue pandemics that never happen...
It's all scare the peeps into the shoot for sheering

That's how NAZIS operate.
 
Walter
+1
#3
Michael Crichton said it all in "State of Fear".
 
Blackleaf
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

The scare is their only tactic. Look at global warming, wmds in 40 minutes, flue pandemics that never happen...
It's all scare the peeps into the shoot for sheering

That's how NAZIS operate.

The Remainers were telling us that Brexit would start WWIII. They haven't told us how, but that's what they said.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#5
The public are running out of patience with insolent Remainers who drum up fake Brexit anxiety


The author is not "The Public".
 
Blackleaf
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The public are running out of patience with insolent Remainers who drum up fake Brexit anxiety


The author is not "The Public".

She's more in touch with the public than most politicians are - a public consisting mostly of Leavers, of course.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#7
that does look like public hair on her head
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#8
... or so she says, anyway.
 
Blackleaf
#9
And Janet Daley is American, and she's more in touch with the British public than most British politicians and snooty Remainers are.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

And Janet Daley is American, and she's more in touch with the British public than most British politicians and snooty Remainers are.

Perhaps, if she is as all-knowing as you say, she should stand for office and fix the merry mix-up, herself rather than barking like a dog at the passing parade.
 
Blackleaf
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Perhaps, if she is as all-knowing as you say, she should stand for office and fix the merry mix-up, herself rather than barking like a dog at the passing parade.

Oh dear. Mustn't have a newspaper columnist taking the side of a majority of people by supporting Brexit, eh? That just won't do. Newspaper columnists must all support staying in the EU and should be assailing us with anti-Brexit scarestories.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Oh dear. Mustn't have a newspaper columnist taking the side of a majority of people by supporting Brexit, eh? That just won't do. Newspaper columnists must all support staying in the EU and should be assailing us with anti-Brexit scarestories.

Somebody has to save you from yourselves.
 
Blackleaf
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Somebody has to save you from yourselves.