Alexander of Macedon in the Quran and the Bible

Torch light
In the Bible, according to a dream by Prophet Daniel when he was in the captivity of Babylon: he saw a ram with 2 horns; and this ram went east, west, north and south and nothing could withstand him .. therefore, the Alexander has been entitled Zul-Qarnain, i.e. the man with two horns.

This is in the Quran, 18: 83-99, which mean, [all the interpretation is according to the interpreter Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly:]

(83. The [Christians and Quraish tribesmen] ask you [Mohammed] concerning Alexander who is surnamed 'Zul-qarnain.'
Say: "I will rehearse to you something of his story and account."

84. We established him on earth [by making him king and [army] leader, and We gave to him all means [of victory in all his campaigns.]

85. And he followed the way.

86. [And he went westward in his march] until when he reached at sun-set [time];
he found the [sun] setting under the observation of a black woman, and he found with her a people;
We said: "O 'Zul-qarnain', you have either to punish [these people who worship the sun if they do not believe], or to show them kindness [if they believe.]"

87. [Alexander] said: "Whoever wrongs [himself by the association with God, and does not believe], him shall we punish [with beating and imprisoning in the life of the World]; then shall he be returned [following his death] to his Lord; and He shall punish him [in the Next Life] with ‘grievous and extraordinary’ punishment."

88. But whoever believes and works righteous [works], will have a fair reward [of the prosperity in Paradise, in the Next Life], and Our am’r [: Our angels] will take him to retribution mildly."

89. Then he set on, following the means [of victory which We provided him with.]

90. Until when he reached to the east, he found it rise upon a people for whom We made no shelter therefrom.

91. As such [did Alexander deal with them]; and – after trying him – We knew his [righteous intentions and conduct.]

92. Then he continued with his march and conquests.

93. Until when [Alexander] reached [the region] between the two dams, he found before the two [dams] a people who could not almost understand any word [of his language.]

94. They said: "O 'Zul-qarnain', behold, Gog and Magog are corruptors in the earth; so shall we assign to you a tribute, in recompense of your setting up a barrier between us and between them [lest the water come upon and drown us?]"

95. He said: "[The wealth], that God has established me in, is better [than your tribute], so assist me with a power [of your workers], and I shall set up a barrier between you and them."

96. "Bring to me pieces of iron" – till when he had leveled up [the gap] between the two mountain-sides, he said: "[Now,] blow!" – till, when he had made the [iron red like] fire, he said: "Bring me, to pour the molten copper on the [iron]."

97. And [Gog and Magog] were unable [then] to surmount it [in order to destroy it], nor were they able to dig through it.

[Then when the dam was accomplished:]
98. [Alexander] said: "This is a mercy from my Lord [to you.]
But when the promise of my Lord will come to pass [before Doomsday], he will make it devastated; for the promise of my Lord is ever true."
)

See more of the explanation of these ayat:
http://quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_83
quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_83

Here is the recitation of these ayat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41IlP8gL_Q

Torch light
"Alexander the Great was surnamed ‘Zul-qarnain'; died at Babylon [in Iraq]; learned under the instructions of Aristotle. He became the king of Macedonia after his father Philip.

He determined to conquer the Persian Empire, and he overcame them in Asia Minor at Ephesus at 334BC, then at the shores of Greece (after besieging it for seven months,) then at Egypt (where he founded Alexandria city.) Finally, he attacked Darius in Iraq and overcame him at Arbela, at 331BC.

Then he continued his march to the boundaries of Persia, and went farther to the banks of the Indus River.
[Alexnder] ‘Zul-qarnain’ was one of the bravest and greatest warriors and champions.

Prophet Daniel foretold or prophesied about him, before his birth; that is in the Hebrew Bible [included in the Old Testament], Book of Daniel, chapter 8: that he saw [in a dream] a ram with two long horns, pressing with them against the west and against the north and against the south: and no beasts could withstand him nor be delivered of his hand: and he did according to his own will and became great. And for this reason, he was called ‘Zul-qarnain’, i.e. the man with two horns."

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_83
quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_83

Blackleaf
Alexander lived from 356BC to 323BC. By the age of just 30, he had created a vast empire stretching from Greece to northwestern India, during which time he managed to become King of Macedon, King of Persia, Pharaoh of Egypt and Lord of Asia.

Here I am at age 38 and I drive a man-up truck whilst order picking baths, sinks, toilets, toilet seats, taps, plugs, showers, shower trays, bath panels and the like.

I can't really be arsed trying to become Lord of Asia.

Torch light
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Alexander lived from 356BC to 323BC. By the age of just 30, he had created a vast empire stretching from Greece to northwestern India, during which time he managed to become King of Macedon, King of Persia, Pharaoh of Egypt and Lord of Asia.
Here I am at age 38 and I drive a man-up truck whilst order picking baths, sinks, toilets, toilet seats, taps, plugs, showers, shower trays, bath panels and the like.
I can't really be arsed trying to become Lord of Asia.

Not all people can be kings. God gives the sovereignty to whoever He please.
This is a great aya 23: 71 of which the interpretation is:

(And if [God:] the Just had followed their desires [about the intercession], surely the heavens and the earth and whosoever [living being] is therein would have been corrupted. a

Actually, We have brought them [the Quran b , which is] their 'admonition', but they have become averse from their 'admonition' c.)
.................................................. ......................................

71 a So ‘the Truth’ or ‘the Just’ is God;
and ‘their desires’ are about the intercession which they ascribed to the angels, and said: “They intercede for us before God, so God will give us what we want by means of their intercession.”

So God denied their words, and said: Had God the Just followed their desires: to give them what they want by means of the intercession (of the angels and other prophets), then the planets with all the living beings on them would have been corrupted.

That is because people are different among themselves according to the difference in their opinions, minds and demands; so that each one of them asks of God a sentence against his opponent, and everyone of them wants to be the king and president of his country;
therefore, if God had given them their requests, then the planets and all their inhabitants would have corrupted because of the opposition and dissension among people.

For this reason, God does not accept the intercession of any angel or prophet about that, lest the order and harmony may be disordered and life may be distorted.

71 b It means: the Quran is their admonition which will remove their illusions and expose the truth to them.

71 c It means: They become averse from the Quran.

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/23.htm#a23_71
quran-ayat.com/pret/23.htm#a23_71

Torch light
More about Alexander Zul Qarnain :

God inspired and revealed to him .. God instructed him, and he followed the steps recommended to him by God, and so Alexander succeeded and conquered his enemies.
In fact, Alexander moved according to God's plan: to shutter the kingdoms of the idolaters and associaters: those who associate others besides God.
I.e. God used Alexander to abolish the idolatry and rule with justice among people, and because Alexander obeyed God Almighty, God granted him success and triumph everywhere he went in his campaigns.

The indication that God revealed to him, is in the Quran 18: 86, which means, as in the first post of this thread:
( We [: God - be glorified] said: "O 'Zul-qarnain', you have either to punish [these people who worship the sun if they do not believe], or to show them kindness [if they believe.]")

Torch light
The indication that Alexander Zul Qarnain obeyed God Almighty :

Quran 18: 84-85, which mean (as in the first post of this thread)
(84. We established him on earth [by making him king and [army] leader, and We gave to him all means [of victory in all his campaigns.]

85. And he followed the way.)

More explanation of this:
Alexander followed such means which We prepared for him, and worked according to them; so he was victorious, and he defeated the disbelievers and conquered the countries.

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_85
quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_85

Therefore, Alexander Zul Qarnain, in fact fought the kingdoms of the idolaters and he fought the idolatry and ruled with the monotheism and justice.

Torch light
Alexander took with him everyone skillful in his career :

The indication of that is that he made the amalgam by mixing the very hot iron pieces with the molten copper.. which gave him a very strong substance with a smooth surface to make the required barrier.. such amalgam which is considered one of the strongest amalgams to serve such purpose.

Refer to the meaning of the Quran ayat 18: 96-97 in the first post of this thread:

(96. "Bring to me pieces of iron" s – till when he had leveled up [the gap] between the two mountain-sides t , he said: "[Now,] blow!" – till, when he had made the [iron red like] fire u , he said: "Bring me, to pour the molten copper on the [iron] v ."

97. And [Gog and Magog] were unable [then] to surmount it [in order to destroy it], nor were they able to dig through it. w)
.................................................. ...................................

96 s And when they collected for him the pieces of iron, he started to arrange them in that hole and lay them on each other.

96 t i.e. till the iron raised high and was level with the two mountain sides; at that time, he asked for firewood which he put in front and behind the iron, and set fire in it.

96 u Because of the extreme heat.

96 v Therefore, when he poured the copper, it firmly connected with the iron, to become strong and powerful.

The Darband dam is in India in the Ganges River delta near the city of Kolkata (or Calcutta.) Refer to the Hafiz Atlas, the last page of it which is number 97.

The word Darband is Persian, which means: the ‘sealing of the gate’; the word Dar means a ‘gate’, and the word ‘band’ means its ‘sealing’.

97 w In order to let the water go out of the perforation, to drown the people; but the water started to come down on Gog and Magog.

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_96
quran-ayat.com/pret/18.htm#a18_96

Torch light
Comment: Making such amalgam of the iron with the copper in this way, might also be according to God's instructions; God is the All-Knowing.

Because the speaking one in the aya was Alexander himself, and God did not say: Alexander listened to some oriented workers in this matter. God is the All-Knowing.

This might be like the instructions of God for Noah concerning the making of his Ark or ship... God is the All-Knowing.

Quran 11: 37, which means:
("But build the Arka under Our observation and as We instruct you by revelation")

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/11.htm#a11_37
quran-ayat.com/pret/11.htm#a11_37
Last edited by Torch light; 4 days ago at 04:30 PM..