Why it is pointless to save energy

Zzarchov
No matter how much energy you save with new non-incandescent bulbs, energy star appliances, better insulation and all the rest...

Everything you save is a thousand times negated by one bored engineering student.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff_AXVlo9U

Karlin
ya, well nobody replied, after 80 views, so maybe you should get on the energy saving bandwagon and do your share to solve the global warming problem eh?

#juan
The premise of this topic is a little silly. We can't stop every idiot who wants to squander energy on dopey tricks but that shouldn't stop all of us from trying to do our part. We can drive the most fuel efficient vehicle we can find but we will still see the odd moron with a 10 liter SUV that probably gets 4 miles per gallon.....we keep up the fight.

Unforgiven
Though I think there is truth to that. No matter how much some do, it will never negate the damage that others do. This is why suicide bomber is a great way to defeat the huge American army. No matter what you do, there will always be a hole in the defence where a single person can reek havoc. And so it is that no matter how much people do for the environment, there will always be enough people screwing it up that it only slows the decline slightly.

As I've mentioned before, it's only we people who will miss us when we are gone. Most everything else will sigh with relief.

Live for today and to hell with tomorrow. Do you think the asteroid or comet will take into consideration just clean or not the Earth is?

Zzarchov
Actually I see energy use as a good thing. Conserving energy is fine, but its a fools errand. Progress needs energy, and progress is the human condition. In the end, using less is a terrible stopgap. Making more that causes less side effects is the solution.

missile
We can save energy and even a few dollars in doing so..until the power co. raises rates to cover the lesser amounts of electricity consumed

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Actually I see energy use as a good thing. Conserving energy is fine, but its a fools errand. Progress needs energy, and progress is the human condition. In the end, using less is a terrible stopgap. Making more that causes less side effects is the solution.

Saving energy is not a fool's errend if the energy is produced by a coal-fired plant. Until we find a better way to produce energy more efficiently, saving energy is the way to go.

Zzarchov
Yes, but as I said, and you quoted, that is not a solution. Its a temporary stop gap doomed to failure until we solve the problem, which is polution produced in generating power.

Converving power is a way of minimizing damage, not fixing or even stopping the damage.

Tonington
If I were to build my house of rammed earth, with geothermal heating, solar water heating, reusing my grey water, solar panels and wind generators to power my house, I care not what the electric company does much less what some engineering student did in their spare time.

karrie
http://www.taylormunro.com/pdf/edmon...al_may2407.pdf