Normal Behaviour.....

DaSleeper
I'm not one to philosophise, but I do like asking questions and make my own mind on the answers I get.....

We often hear in life and on this forum, that something must be normal, well, just because some animals do it, and since we are animals it must be OK.
And certain behaviour that was illegal a hundred years ago, is legal to-day.
But when you predict that a certain behavior that is frowned upon today may be legal in the future the naysayers abound.
I say why not?
Why do certain animal instincts have to be repressed and others not.
One would say that society makes the rules......
So which rule is right and which is wrong, since society and it's morals are always changing????????

SLM
+1
Normal has to be the most misapplied and over used word in the English language. And you're right, society and morals are always changing. Some might used the word evolving, others wouldn't, but changing will suffice.

Personally when it comes to the behaviour that's deemed 'acceptable' and 'not acceptable' I look at 1) does it affect anyone other than the single individual involved and 2) if it does, than does the second (or third or fourth) individual affected have the capacity to freely give consent over the behaviour. That's not going to be an absolutely perfect fit in every scenario, but I think it's as close as we're ever going to get. So that, for me, is sort of the litmus test.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I'm not one to philosophise, but I do like asking questions and make my own mind on the answers I get.....

We often hear in life and on this forum, that something must be normal, well, just because some animals do it, and since we are animals it must be OK.
But when you predict that a certain behavior that is frowned upon today may be legal in the future the naysayers abound.
I say why not?
So which rule is right and which is wrong, since society and it's morals are always changing????????

my code is basically "do no harm" and then do as you wish

there need to be laws to protect those who are vulnerable from those who would prey upon them and thus there must be consequences for breaking those laws

animal instinct is at a base level...we have evolved beyond that in most instances, for those who have not, they must be forced so that others remain safe

laws do change according to societies need and knowledge base and understanding

petros
+2
#4  Top Rated Post
Hey hey we're the monkeys...

Locutus
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

we were the monkeys

Sal
+1

and people say we monkey around

Monkey with a gun: A true story - YouTube

SLM

Well monkeys fling their actual **** around, we only fling verbal **** around. I'd say it's an evolutionary step forward.

Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

we were the monkeys

Actually I think we were Homo habilis, but probably close enough.

Count_Lothian

I say why not?

It's interesting to note that a lot of the laws we have today take into account left over animal behaivour and instincts in humans.

A lot of judgements in sex cases in the past were just deemed a man's inability to control his natural urges. Lesser fines and time served due to this sort of thinking.

There is and always has been a paradigm that we must evolve out of our inner animal instincts and become more human.

The fact that we understand we come from animals and have those instincts still is cause for civilizing ourselves.

Ludlow

I say why not?

I think the word "normal" has to be a subjective word. If you live amongst a community of thieves then stealing would be normal for you and if you did not steal things , that would be abnormal for you considering the status quo of your community. I think "natural" would be a better word and less subjective maybe. But, I guess that could be a subjective word as well, considering everyone's opinion of what should be considered natural varies . Personally I don't think much of anything is natural these days but that is my perspective which is shaped by my circumstance and experiences. Okay. there's a load of comments by me that are neither here nor there but, it was something to do.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Well monkeys fling their actual **** around, we only fling verbal **** around. I'd say it's an evolutionary step forward.

Actually I think we were Homo habilis, but probably close enough.

Never have a horse turd fight when you were a kid?

Nuggler
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

We had evolved to rocks where I lived.

And slingshots

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

We had evolved to rocks where I lived.

And slingshots

We used pellet rifles for a while until one guy got a pellet we couldn't dig out on the sly. Who knew mothers had no sense of humour?

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Um....no.....

QuebecCanadian
Do you really mean normal....or natural? I think some basic instincts we are born with. And some develop depending on our experiences. Throw a baseball at someone and one might instinctively reach out to catch it and another instinctively might duck. It's a no-thought reaction but it's not standard.

Some animal instincts have to be repressed because they can be harmful to others...and because we are not animals.

Normal on the other hand is completely subjective...and personal.

Just because something was illegal at one time doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong...just that some people got together and decided it was (church, state...). For that to change, other people get together and decide otherwise. That's evolution and as times change so do peoples' perspectives.

If whatever it is, doesn't hurt anyone or take advantage of anyone or their weaknesses then we can all collectively decided whether it becomes normal or acceptable.

We all know that people who make laws don't always do that with best interest in mind.

SLM
+1
Normal is too subjective of a term. What's normal to me is going to be completely odd to someone else. We're far too individualistic to have one clear definition of normal.

I always tend to look at us as all being different and sometimes we come across others that are the 'same kind of different' as ourselves.

Ludlow

I say why not?

aint nothing wrong with a little philosophisin now and then.

Ludlow
My cousin use to bite his toenails. Kind of nasty but to him it was routine or, "normal". It is quite normal for my cousin to chew on his nasty toenails.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

My cousin use to bite his toenails. Kind of nasty but to him it was routine or, "normal". It is quite normal for my cousin to chew on his nasty toenails.

Before or after he cut them?

Twila
+1
Is that a habit or is he hungry? It's rather gross. You could get atheletes mouth and warts.

Ludlow
if you like fried okra you're normal. If you do not like fried okra you're abnormal and need to be labeled as such. clearly anyone who fits the latter description should be reprimanded and flogged.

Angstrom
Throw a bunch of very young kids on a deserted island and watch what natural human instinct behavior is.

That's how humans would have behaved before all the discovery's that have been found to improve our lives.

Now look at how the world is today. Everything good and bad that you see is a extension of our natural human behavior.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Throw a bunch of very young kids on a deserted island and watch what natural human instinct behavior is.

You already showed you to be abnormal because a normal caring person would not do that to kids.
Last edited by MHz; Oct 18th, 2014 at 06:51 AM..

SLM
+1

That's how humans would have behaved before all the discovery's that have been found to improve our lives.

Now look at how the world is today. Everything good and bad that you see is a extension of our natural human behavior.

Or you could just read Lord of the Flies and save yourself the child endangerment charges.

Sal
“Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.”

― William Golding, Lord of the Flies

Ludlow
In the several years that I've been milling around this place only one thing makes any sense when considering what might be normal to me. And that is not having the desire to hurt people. Clearly though in this world that doesn't seem to be normal. That seems pretty abnormal to me.

Angstrom

In the several years that I've been milling around this place only one thing makes any sense when considering what might be normal to me. And that is not having the desire to hurt people. Clearly though in this world that doesn't seem to be normal. That seems pretty abnormal to me.

Sounds like you're one big wet noodle.

Ludlow
+1

Sounds like you're one big wet noodle.

Don't bet on it maynard

Don't bet on it maynard

on a positive note though, it is believed that it is possible that many freeze dried brain cells do regenerate so give it time.

Angstrom

on a positive note though, it is believed that it is possible that many freeze dried brain cells do regenerate so give it time.

Well there you have it, there is hope for you. (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑

Ludlow
I was starting to get a little depressed because Don Rickles is getting up there in age but now,,,,we have you to replace him. Thank the Lawd!

DaSleeper

I was starting to get a little depressed because Don Rickles is getting up there in age but now,,,,we have you to replace him. Thank the Lawd!

If only he realized that people laugh at him, not with him!