Patrick Kane assaults cabbie


JLM
#1
"On August 9, 2009, Kane and his cousin, James M. Kane, were arrested in Buffalo . According to a police report, Kane was apprehended around 5:00 a.m. after allegedly punching a cab driver when he said he did not have proper change for their trip fare. The driver was short twenty cents. [15] Kane has been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief, and theft of services. He has pleaded not guilty."

According to the cabbie, Kane asked him "don't you know who I am"?

I hate to pass judgment without hearing both sides. Has anyone heard Kane's side? What's the general contention? Bum rap or spoiled brat?
 
EagleSmack
#2
Who is this guy?
 
JLM
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Who is this guy?

N.H.L. player for Chicago Blackhawks, otherwise someone you may not want to know.
 
talloola
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

N.H.L. player for Chicago Blackhawks, otherwise someone you may not want to know.

It was Patrick Kane and his Cousin, not just him.
They have been charged on three counts, but when hearing a quote from the cabbie's lawyer, he downplayed it, so I guess they will soften it up a little,
not sure, but what I can't figure out is, why did they want change from $15.00
to begin with, when it was only $1.20, I wouldn't even do that, just keep the
change, can't believe they haggled over $1.20, well he did give them $1.00,
then they haggled over the .20, unbelievable.
I suppose it is somewhere in the middle, they did the stupid deed, probably drunk, acted like morons, but maybe when it came out, the media ran with
it, as there isn't much news right now in the hockey world.
We'll have to wait and see how it plays out, it can't just be dropped, because
those criminal charges are there.
 
lone wolf
#5
It's hard to keep the Courts out of it once cops and black eyes enter the picture. The cabbie's going to get the worst of it again....

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/679392
 
talloola
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

It's hard to keep the Courts out of it once cops and black eyes enter the picture. The cabbie's going to get the worst of it again....

TheStar.com | Hockey | Patrick Kane's cabbie didn't have licence: Report

If the story the cabbie told is 'true', and the situation was as simple as he explained, he just has to tell it like it is, what they come up with, who knows.
That's where the lawyers have their 'game' and compete for the win.
Yeah, all of that drunk driving stuff, and having no valid drivers licence,
definitely will be put out there to offset the real offence, and will probably
make a difference, he's obviously not squeaky clean is he, but it doesn't erase
what the Kanes did.
 
lone wolf
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

If the story the cabbie told is 'true', and the situation was as simple as he explained, he just has to tell it like it is, what they come up with, who knows.
That's where the lawyers have their 'game' and compete for the win.

As usual, the only winners are the vultures ... er ... lawyers....
 
imcbain
#8
Lock them up, just like any criminal.
 
Ron in Regina
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by imcbain View Post

Lock them up, just like any criminal.


Lock up the Kanes? Lock up the Cabbie? Lock up all three?

New York State raised its minimum drinking age from 19 to 21 years on
December 1, 1985. Then almost three years later...

Patrick Kane was born November 19th, 1988....so in three months and
eight days, Patrick Kane would be of legal age to drink in N.Y. State....

The cab driver picked up Kane & his cousin at 4 a.m. Sunday in a
nightclub district?


The cab driver who is the alleged victim of a beating by NHL star Patrick
Kane and his cousin on Sunday didn't have a valid driver's licence at the
time of the incident?

The Kanes paid $15 for a $13.80 fare, and got $1 change. The alleged
beating and robbery took place when the cabbie said he did not have a
further 20 cents for the two?

This is ugly all around.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Aug 30th, 2009 at 09:39 PM..Reason: Typo
 
JLM
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

It was Patrick Kane and his Cousin, not just him.
They have been charged on three counts, but when hearing a quote from the cabbie's lawyer, he downplayed it, so I guess they will soften it up a little,
not sure, but what I can't figure out is, why did they want change from $15.00
to begin with, when it was only $1.20, I wouldn't even do that, just keep the
change, can't believe they haggled over $1.20, well he did give them $1.00,
then they haggled over the .20, unbelievable.
I suppose it is somewhere in the middle, they did the stupid deed, probably drunk, acted like morons, but maybe when it came out, the media ran with
it, as there isn't much news right now in the hockey world.
We'll have to wait and see how it plays out, it can't just be dropped, because
those criminal charges are there.

Yep, it's kind of sad, but sometimes you get those kind of guys in professional sports- Eric Lindross, Brett Hull and Al McInnis are three that come to mind although not as blatant as this guy. At least McInnis was funny, he and his brother were hasseling a hooker outside a night club, he told her he made more money in two minutes than she made in a year.
 
eh1eh
#11
When you beat someone for $0.20, maybe you're are a moron. Even if the person you beat up doesn't have a drivers license, (not a crime BTW), you are still a moron who criminally assaulted another person. So not to ugly except for the felony assault.
 
talloola
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Yep, it's kind of sad, but sometimes you get those kind of guys in professional sports- Eric Lindross, Brett Hull and Al McInnis are three that come to mind although not as blatant as this guy. At least McInnis was funny, he and his brother were hasseling a hooker outside a night club, he told her he made more money in two minutes than she made in a year.

You get these kinds of guys from every walk of life, but the professional athletes,
or celebrities, or politicians, get the 'big media' show, other than the fact,they make lots
of money, they are just people, like everyone, and sometimes can be jerks,
like many others.
 
JLM
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

You get these kinds of guys from every walk of life, but the professional athletes,
or celebrities, or politicians, get the 'big media' show, other than the fact,they make lots
of money, they are just people, like everyone, and sometimes can be jerks,
like many others.

Correctomente as usual Talloola, it's just you hate to see jerks getting paid big money and then being A-holes about it. The guy makes $3/4 million a year and he hassels the cabbie over 20 cents. They should pass a law saying you have to be a man before you can become a hero.
 
talloola
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Correctomente as usual Talloola, it's just you hate to see jerks getting paid big money and then being A-holes about it. The guy makes $3/4 million a year and he hassels the cabbie over 20 cents. They should pass a law saying you have to be a man before you can become a hero.

Anyone correct me on this, but I think Kane is still on the entry level contract,
and will be negotiating a new contract this coming season. I haven't looked it
up and I'm not 100% sure of myself here, just trying to remember.
So, if that is the case, he has earned around 700 thousand a year. or less, for the two
years he has been in the NHL. He's still only 20 yrs. old.
I will not defend him on his actions, but I will realize he is 20 yrs. old, and
still young and obviously stupid, so hopefully when the dust settles on this
mess, he will come out a much better person.
And the heading on this thread, should include his cousin, as it was not just
him.
 
DurkaDurka
#15
Mistakes happen and can be forgiven but punching out a cabbie over 20 cents is callous and a blight on the league. He'll be answering to the criminal courts and undoubtedly a civil suit.
 
JLM
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

Anyone correct me on this, but I think Kane is still on the entry level contract,
and will be negotiating a new contract this coming season. I haven't looked it
up and I'm not 100% sure of myself here, just trying to remember.
So, if that is the case, he has earned around 700 thousand a year. or less, for the two
years he has been in the NHL. He's still only 20 yrs. old.
I will not defend him on his actions, but I will realize he is 20 yrs. old, and
still young and obviously stupid, so hopefully when the dust settles on this
mess, he will come out a much better person.
And the heading on this thread, should include his cousin, as it was not just
him.

His salary was mentioned on the news yesterday and it was something similar to the figure you mention.
 
talloola
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Mistakes happen and can be forgiven but punching out a cabbie over 20 cents is callous and a blight on the league. He'll be answering to the criminal courts and undoubtedly a civil suit.

I would think so too, but I have a feeling the lawyers will construct a brand
new case, which incriminates the cabbie, because of his 'no licence' and past
reputation, and maybe patrick kane's cousin will take the fall. I'm just turning
this into a 'made for TV' movie, as we really don't know yet, just how all of
this went down, exactly.
A long time ago, a lawyer told me that, there are three sides to every story.
One side, and the other side, and the truth, and we may never really know
what story was really the truth.
The cabbie said that he 'at first' thought they were college kids, didn't realize
who they were, well, what difference does that make.
He locked the door and wouldn't let them out, that is policy I guess in certain
instances, when the fare is being argued about, would have liked to be a fly
on the dashboard at that moment.
Patrick Kane is a 'very' small guy, wonder how big his cousin is.
A reporter interviewed patrick after a hockey game, and came out and
said he is so small, he looks like a kid.
Last edited by talloola; Aug 11th, 2009 at 09:36 PM..
 
JLM
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I would think so too, but I have a feeling the lawyers will construct a brand
new case, which incriminates the cabbie, because of his 'no licence' and past
reputation, and maybe patrick kane's cousin will take the fall. I'm just turning
this into a 'made for TV' movie, as we really don't know yet, just how all of
this went down, exactly.
A long time ago, a lawyer told me that, there are three sides to every story.
One side, and the other side, and the truth, and we may never really know
what story was really the truth.
The cabbie said that he 'at first' thought they were college kids, didn't realize
who they were, well, what difference does that make.
He locked the door and wouldn't let them out, that is policy I guess in certain
instances, when the fare is being argued about, would have liked to be a fly
on the dashboard at that moment.
Patrick Kane is a 'very' small guy, wonder how big his cousin is.
A reporter interviewed patrick after a hockey game, and came and
said he is so small, he looks like a kid.

This is starting to get interesting. NO doubt I missed part of the story. If the cabbie didn't have a license that's between the cops and the cabbie- nothing to do with Kane. I didn't hear that the cabbie had a bad reputation but then of course "reputation" and "character" are quite often two separate things. I did see that the cabbie obviously had the tar beaten out of him, that should go down as aggravated assault. The question of course is who did the assault. If Kane and his cousin were smart, they'd make an arrangement where the cousin takes the fall in exchange for a hefty part of Kane's salary..............
 
talloola
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

This is starting to get interesting. NO doubt I missed part of the story. If the cabbie didn't have a license that's between the cops and the cabbie- nothing to do with Kane. I didn't hear that the cabbie had a bad reputation but then of course "reputation" and "character" are quite often two separate things. I did see that the cabbie obviously had the tar beaten out of him, that should go down as aggravated assault. The question of course is who did the assault. If Kane and his cousin were smart, they'd make an arrangement where the cousin takes the fall in exchange for a hefty part of Kane's salary..............

The cabbie had a few 'drunk driving' problems in the last 7 or 8 years, and
hasn't had a licence for quite a long time.
I know that isn't connected to this offence, but the lawyers will tangle it all
up somehow. The cabbie can't drop charges, as they are criminal, but I'm
sure he would do that, if the cops would look the other way concerning his
own misadventures.
Yeah, it is getting interesting.
.
 
talloola
#20
Yeah it's really getting interesting, now I'm hearing on the radio that Kane's lawyer,
was the defense lawyer for the porn industry, just a few years back, then wrote
some kind of article, defending the porn industry, his name is also the title of the
article, apparantly the porn industry was getting panicky when Bush was elected,
thought there would be a push to shut them down, (those evangelical christians,
poking their noses into everyone's crotches, er um, I mean business.

Yep, TV movie of the week, just ahead.
 
L Gilbert
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

The cabbie had a few 'drunk driving' problems in the last 7 or 8 years, and
hasn't had a licence for quite a long time.
I know that isn't connected to this offence, but the lawyers will tangle it all
up somehow. The cabbie can't drop charges, as they are criminal, but I'm
sure he would do that, if the cops would look the other way concerning his
own misadventures.
Yeah, it is getting interesting.
.

lmao Does he even have a cabby license?
 
JLM
#22
It seems a little ironic, but I'll bet the cabbie is going to end up needing a lawyer worse than Kane and that's too bad...........Kane can afford a bushel of them, while the cabby is probably going to get what the state gives him. The cabby probably worked hard all his life so that guys like Kane can have all the privileges. I think justice would be served if Kane and his illustrious cousin spent a years worth of Saturdays and Sundays washing taxis and vacuuming them out...........probably a lot of puke on a Sunday morning.
 
talloola
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It seems a little ironic, but I'll bet the cabbie is going to end up needing a lawyer worse than Kane and that's too bad...........Kane can afford a bushel of them, while the cabby is probably going to get what the state gives him. The cabby probably worked hard all his life so that guys like Kane can have all the privileges. I think justice would be served if Kane and his illustrious cousin spent a years worth of Saturdays and Sundays washing taxis and vacuuming them out...........probably a lot of puke on a Sunday morning.

The thought of the smell of puke, makes me want to puke.
I don't have a clue what will happen, but I'm thinking, that it might just gradually get foggier and foggier, and thinner and thinner, till, after a
few explanations from lawyers and judges, they are found innocent, and
explanation is that, it was a big misunderstanding, and also cabbie has no
problems either, and we can make the story any way we want after that,
but we probably
will never know what 'actually' went on in that cab other than, the cabbie
was roughed up.
Don't know if either one of them had any prior run ins with the law, I'm
guessing, no.
Liquor probably had a lot to do with their behavior, (not an excuse), just
a fact, and the courts will do with that, what they want.
We don't even know if 'both' of them roughed up the cabbie, or one of them.
You know, there is a possibility that Patrick Kane did nothing, and that his
cousin did the punching, and even though we will think that it is a trumped
up story, it could be true.
If you visualize a cabby, in front seat, being punched by someone in back seat,
it seems that it would be difficult for two people to do the punching, wouldn't
they just be in each other's way, unless they took turns, I wonder.

If they are both squeaky clean, judge could be lenient with them.
There have been lots of cabbie attacks in vancouver over the years, by
no other than low life idiots, who don't make big money, because no stories
came from those attacks about who did it, like this one, so I don't really
find a difference because of 'money' made, people are people, and can act
like idiots irrespective of how much they make, or not.
It's just the reputation of the well known, that is at stake. And, in general
the hockey players take the high road, and have good reputations, and are
respected and show respect, but of course there are exceptions with everything.

That money thing seems to be others, who seem to resent how much they make,
I don't think it is relevent at all, but the media know how big the story will be,
so they love it, cause we are the bait, and we bite 'big time'.
 
JLM
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

The thought of the smell of puke, makes me want to puke.
I don't have a clue what will happen, but I'm thinking, that it might just gradually get foggier and foggier, and thinner and thinner, till, after a
few explanations from lawyers and judges, they are found innocent, and
explanation is that, it was a big misunderstanding, and also cabbie has no
problems either, and we can make the story any way we want after that,
but we probably
will never know what 'actually' went on in that cab other than, the cabbie
was roughed up.
Don't know if either one of them had any prior run ins with the law, I'm
guessing, no.
Liquor probably had a lot to do with their behavior, (not an excuse), just
a fact, and the courts will do with that, what they want.
We don't even know if 'both' of them roughed up the cabbie, or one of them.
You know, there is a possibility that Patrick Kane did nothing, and that his
cousin did the punching, and even though we will think that it is a trumped
up story, it could be true.
If you visualize a cabby, in front seat, being punched by someone in back seat,
it seems that it would be difficult for two people to do the punching, wouldn't
they just be in each other's way, unless they took turns, I wonder.

If they are both squeaky clean, judge could be lenient with them.
There have been lots of cabbie attacks in vancouver over the years, by
no other than low life idiots, who don't make big money, because no stories
came from those attacks about who did it, like this one, so I don't really
find a difference because of 'money' made, people are people, and can act
like idiots irrespective of how much they make, or not.
It's just the reputation of the well known, that is at stake. And, in general
the hockey players take the high road, and have good reputations, and are
respected and show respect, but of course there are exceptions with everything.

That money thing seems to be others, who seem to resent how much they make,
I don't think it is relevent at all, but the media know how big the story will be,
so they love it, cause we are the bait, and we bite 'big time'.

Or another scenario is the judge and the prosecutor could both be Blackhawk fans and the thing gets thrown out.
 
talloola
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Or another scenario is the judge and the prosecutor could both be Blackhawk fans and the thing gets thrown out.

ha, yeah, I wonder how hard the blackhawks organization is working to smooth
this thing over, they haven't had a very good summer, lots of negative things
happening to them in the front office, now this, they must be pulling their hair
out.
 
thatone
#26
there goes his career, a little slap on the wrist and sorry, and hes free..
 
talloola
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by thatone View Post

there goes his career, a little slap on the wrist and sorry, and hes free..

The biggest punishment he has had is, everyone knows, he is embarrassed, has
lost a lot of respectability, and will be teased by his fellow hockey players, all
over the NHL.
He has had to apologize publicly, and to the cabby privately. And, I'm sure there
was a nice fat brown envelope given the cabby too. The cabby wasn't seriously
injured, and i'm sure he is getting on with his life nicely too, quite a few dollars
richer, and probably having a good laugh with his friends and family about it.
Kane now has to move forward, learn a lesson, grow up, and like many many
young cocky guys like him, improve his behavior in public, which I'm sure he will.
I don't really know what people wanted from this situation, jail time? I don't
think so.

Because he is a well known figure, with a little more money than the average
20 year old. (he has not earned 1 mill per year yet, so those stories are not true)
he has had two seasons at about $700 thousand each.
The media spotlight is on him with his every move, we all satisfy the media by
reacting so excitedly, while all the punk 20 year olds, who do nothing but take
drugs, and hang out all night on some street, then mug someone, and steal their
money, and leave them in the gutter, 'do not get any attention at all, and
continue that behavior, and many of those punks are in and out of jail many
times.

Patrick Kane isn't that kind of person, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt,
and realize that he has been punished , and deserved it, now I wish him well, and hope he moves on and has a good career.

Again, it seems it's all about the 'money', people get real riled up when someone
who makes lots of money, does something that many others do, but they get
much more scrutiny, why? because they have more money than us, why is that.
 
Ron in Regina
#28
Patrick Kane didn't made a Million Dollars a year, but only & $700,000.00
per year for the last two years? That's all? Oh....well that justifies beating up
a cabby who's out trying to earn a living over twenty cents, and then robbing
the cabby of the entire fare....after all, after a long night of underage drinking,
two young men (one being a professional athlete) are going to be hungry &
that cab fare should buy them a couple of burgers....

There are a lot of subhuman gutter-rat thieves in the world, but not all of them
are celebrities that can be easily identified, or are earning more in the last two
years than their victims will earn in their entire lives. This assault & robbery was
not perpetrated by the poor and hungry, and that would explain the outrage
being displayed in this Thread and throughout society.

That money changed hands....I have no doubt...but the cabby is laughing it up with
his buddies about being beaten and robbed by two overprivelleged arseholes?
That I doubt very much even though money may very well have changed hands.

What did people expect from this situation? My guess would be justice. I don't
follow the NHL, and I don't begrudge anyone that can fairly get ahead in life using
their own wits & talent in a legal manner. Honestly, I'd never even heard of this
"Patrick Kane" before the Cabby was beaten & robbed, and I haven't heard
anything about him since outside of this Cabby being beaten & robbed.

If all of the other 20yr old subhuman gutter-rat thieves in the world could be easily
identified when they commit crimes, the public would be equally outraged with
them too. Thankfully most 20yr olds aren't like the 20yr olds that Talloola & I are
describing.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Aug 30th, 2009 at 09:25 PM..Reason: typo
 
Cannuck
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

The biggest punishment he has had is, everyone knows, he is embarrassed, has
lost a lot of respectability, and will be teased by his fellow hockey players, all
over the NHL.
He has had to apologize publicly, and to the cabby privately. And, I'm sure there
was a nice fat brown envelope given the cabby too. The cabby wasn't seriously
injured, and i'm sure he is getting on with his life nicely too, quite a few dollars
richer, and probably having a good laugh with his friends and family about it.
Kane now has to move forward, learn a lesson, grow up, and like many many
young cocky guys like him, improve his behavior in public, which I'm sure he will.
I don't really know what people wanted from this situation, jail time? I don't
think so.

Because he is a well known figure, with a little more money than the average
20 year old. (he has not earned 1 mill per year yet, so those stories are not true)
he has had two seasons at about $700 thousand each.
The media spotlight is on him with his every move, we all satisfy the media by
reacting so excitedly, while all the punk 20 year olds, who do nothing but take
drugs, and hang out all night on some street, then mug someone, and steal their
money, and leave them in the gutter, 'do not get any attention at all, and
continue that behavior, and many of those punks are in and out of jail many
times.

Patrick Kane isn't that kind of person, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt,
and realize that he has been punished , and deserved it, now I wish him well, and hope he moves on and has a good career.

Again, it seems it's all about the 'money', people get real riled up when someone
who makes lots of money, does something that many others do, but they get
much more scrutiny, why? because they have more money than us, why is that.

Would you say the same thing if he beat his wife or child the same way?

This was over 20 cents...TWENTY CENTS!!!!

The kid has serious problems but because he is a super star, he gets a slap on the wrist. Hopefully (although probably not) the NHL has been paying attention to the NFL and Patty will have repercussions within the league.
 
talloola
#30
He didn't beat his child, so that is not relevant, and he also didn't rob the cabbie,
that charge was dropped, although those who want to see him in the worst light
they can, will not notice that fact.
Asking me if I would say same if he beat his child, just shows that you want to
be as emotional as possible and make him look like a violent and vicious person.
He did a stupid and hurtful thing that night, both he and his cousin, the cabbie
was cut and bruised, not beaten into submission, there is a difference, he needed
attending at emergency, both for his cuts and bruises and to obtain evidence for
the situation, which is normal.
There was 'no' robbery, even the lawyer for the cabbie said that the story was
overblown, very early after the incident, and also the cabbie said that the
story was exaggerated,( but of course I'm sure you don't recall that, right?)
If you think he is such a big celebrity, why is it you had never heard of him.

It is too bad that 'ordinary' people like ourselves 'always' have to connect the money
to the person, either because they have 'none', or because they have 'much', but
it has nothing to do with the money, he behaved like a 20 year old, dumb guy,
who drank too much, and he and his cousin, on their journey home became
arrogant and ridiculous. I have seen drunk guys mis behave many times, as a child, and it is sickening. But it seems people do get a second chance to better
themselves and carry on.
He didn't beat a child, he didn't beat his wife, (has none anyway), or his mother,
didn't shoot anyone, didn't kill anyone, has had no previous arrests, but maybe
I am wrong, maybe they should lock him up and throw away the key, or tie
him to a post in the square, and everyone can hurl rocks at him.
Again it's always about the money, it seems regular people who work every day,
resent people who have worked all their young lives to attain enough talent to
become a professsional hockey player, or 'whatever', and because they make
the big bucks, there is a huge jealousy.
I have seen the work, and number of years it takes a child, then a teenager, then
a young adult to attain that staus of talent to be able to be noticed as a sports
figure, but many think they fell out of bed one day, and someone signed a big
cheque for them, and did them a big favour, not so.
I have a grandson who is trying his guts out to become a professional golfer, he
has worked so so hard since he was 8 yrs. old, when others were playing and
sitting watching tv, he was out practicing, and in tournaments, and practicing
and trying and trying to get better, maybe he will make it, maybe he won't,
most don't, but the work ethic is there, the clean living, no drugs, no smoking,
good grades, a scholarship to the u.s. university.
Save all of your trashing for the punks who do nothing, want everything for nothing, steal, kill, take drugs, worry their parents into their graves, and
take advantage of others over and over.
I hope Patrick Kane learns his lesson, and picks himself up, and becomes a better
person, and I'm sure he will, and continues on with his life, just as the cabbie
will, and in behind the scenes, I'll bet Kane is in touch with that cabbie from time
to time in the future, for positives reasons.
 

Similar Threads

3
Jail time for Hockey Assaults?
by Tonington | Mar 10th, 2007
9
Cabbie Accused of Tainting Food With Feces
by unclepercy | Oct 27th, 2005