Brazilian Owned Burger King Looks To Buy Tim Hortons


tay
#1
or will it just be a merger of convenience......?






Many Americans may have the idea that Canada, with its socialized health care system, is a high-tax country, but when it comes to corporate taxes, our northern neighbors can boast the second lowest rates in the G-7. That has Burger King looking at crossing the border: The iconic American fast-food brand is in talks to buy coffee-and-donuts chain Tim Hortons and move its headquarters to Canada.

In a statement late Sunday night that confirmed an earlier report in the Wall Street Journal that a deal was in the works, the companies said the combination would create the third-largest quick service restaurant company in the world, with approximately $22 billion in sales and over 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries worldwide.


more




http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/08/...oofinance&_r=1&
 
Walter
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
It's business. Burger King doesn't want to pay high taxes, just like any other person, and will move it's headquarters to Canada to pay our much lower corporate tax, win-win.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

It's business. Burger King doesn't want to pay high taxes, just like any other person, and will move it's headquarters to Canada to pay our much lower corporate tax, win-win.

Nonsense. We have been told that Harper is not fostering any new business in Canada or helping Canada in any way.
 
DaSleeper
#4
What about all the Tim Horton / Wendy's stores in existence now?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

What about all the Tim Horton / Wendy's stores in existence now?

Probably will remain the same. Tim Horton's is no longer owned by Wendy's so they are compeditor's now. Nothing would change. New stores may be joint ... or not.
 
taxslave
+1 / -1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

What about all the Tim Horton / Wendy's stores in existence now?

It won' t matterwhereyou by your pisswater coffee. And crappy burgers, the same corp. will make aprofit.
 
B00Mer
#7
Tim Horton's is a second rate donut shop.. until you have had a Krispy Kreme, you haven't lived yet.

Made fresh in the store, warm and melts in your mouth.



with a huge selection..



...or the alternative, Timmies will ship there day old crap and you will buy it..
 
Walter
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

What about all the Tim Horton / Wendy's stores in existence now?

Two different companies.
 
captain morgan
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

It's business. Burger King doesn't want to pay high taxes, just like any other person, and will move it's headquarters to Canada to pay our much lower corporate tax, win-win.

Apparently, KPMG provided the analysis and the corporate entity can save approx 14% in corporate taxes by virtue of moving HQ to Canada.

For a company that has such huge revenues, a small move in the tax rate equates to 10'e or possibly 100's of millions per year.
 
Grievous
+1
#10
So much for Canada being a high tax country.
 
Walter
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Grievous View Post

So much for Canada being a high tax country.

The only fair tax is a consumption tax. All other taxes should be abolished.
 
B00Mer
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Grievous View Post

So much for Canada being a high tax country.

That's okay, Justin Trudeau will get in there and fix that.
 
Nuggler
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

That's okay, Justin Trudeau will get in there and fix that.

Oh fuk, just won't he.

Harper's starting to look good.
 
B00Mer
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Oh fuk, just won't he.

Harper's starting to look good.

Yeah, the good old days when I was in the USA and folks said; "Canadians pay more tax to cover that Free Health Care."

Just wait to they figure it out, Canada has lower taxes than the USA and Free Health Care.. time to build a border fence.
 
tay
#15
While the new corporation will be headquartered in Canada, Behring says Burger King and Tim Hortons will stay distinct operations and BK will continue to be operated out of its current Miama, Florida base.




Burger King swallows Tim Hortons; new firm is Canada-bound - LA Times
 
Corduroy
#16
I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to care. Can anybody tell me why this is horrible? The US loses some taxes revenue I guess. Maybe they should fix that problem. Start with making it illegal to buy their politicians.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason to care. Can anybody tell me why this is horrible? The US loses some taxes revenue I guess. Maybe they should fix that problem. Start with making it illegal to buy their politicians.

Are you mad? Politicians for sale is the American Way! If we couldn't buy them, they might. . . who knows? Govern in the best interests of all, perhaps! *shudder*
 
EagleSmack
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Tim Horton's is a second rate donut shop.. until you have had a Krispy Kreme, you haven't lived yet.

Made fresh in the store, warm and melts in your mouth.

Krispy Kreme failed miserably in Massachusetts.

When they first opened the lines were out the door. Then after a few years they all closed down.

Dunkin' Donuts Rules New England.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Krispy Kreme failed miserably in Massachusetts.

When they first opened the lines were out the door. Then after a few years they all closed down.

Dunkin' Donuts Rules New England.

Same in Toronto. Still one in Missisaga I am told.
 
EagleSmack
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Yeah, the good old days when I was in the USA and folks said; "Canadians pay more tax to cover that Free Health Care."

Just wait to they figure it out, Canada has lower taxes than the USA and Free Health Care.. time to build a border fence.

I must say I agree... time to build that fence.

Although if you build a fence people will most definitely come across to see what is up.

Hold the line Canada... trust me. We're getting swamped and there is only one other place people can go after the US is tapped out.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#21
Always said "If your cream is crispy, you really need to throw it out."
 
Corduroy
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Same in Toronto. Still one in Missisaga I am told.

Same thing happened in Vancouver if I remember right. I think we still have a few Krispy Kremes around here but I've never had one. Everyone was like "oh no look out Tim Hortons" and then nothing happened. I think it's because no one really cares about donuts.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Same thing happened in Vancouver if I remember right. I think we still have a few Krispy Kremes around here but I've never had one. Everyone was like "oh no look out Tim Hortons" and then nothing happened. I think it's because no one really cares about donuts.

They were also incredibly bad for you. Tim's survives on coffee sales not the dougnuts.
 
BruSan
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Tim Horton's is a second rate donut shop.. until you have had a Krispy Kreme, you haven't lived yet.

Made fresh in the store, warm and melts in your mouth.



with a huge selection..



...or the alternative, Timmies will ship there day old crap and you will buy it..

If you enjoy eating raw uncooked dough, go for a Krispy Kreme! Eating an actual doughnut that has been cooked throughout ~ Timmy or Dunk'n are much better.


I don't like to eat any pastry that requires my stomach to complete the baking process as with anything from Krispy Kreme.
 
EagleSmack
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

They were also incredibly bad for you. Tim's survives on coffee sales not the dougnuts.

Krispy Kreme was a novelty for those donuts right out of that donut thingy. But D&Ds buried them eventually. The coffee sales just did not catch on.

Down in the Southern states... Krispy Kreme is alive and well.
 
damngrumpy
#26
Interesting the second lowest tax rate and this is going to make more jobs ya right.
We ended up with fast food joints bringing in foreign workers and cutting Canadian
jobs in addition they take advantage of not paying their fair share of the countries
services I don't have an issue with who owns what but collectively they're not paying
and the middle class and working stiff is paying the shot.
 
tay
#27
Tim Hortons Inc planning ‘significant’ layoffs at head offices next week:




more


Tim Hortons Inc planning ‘significant’ layoffs at head offices next week: sources | Financial Post
 
Walter
#28
About time, investors want good return.
 
captain morgan
#29
The overlap between the 2 companies was bound to be eliminated.

There's also a good chance that some of the Timmy's people will get transferred over to BK
 
Angstrom
+1
#30
Yes I'll have a double whopper, donut and a double double.
 

Similar Threads

3
4chan busts Burger King lettuce-stomper
by Locutus | Jul 21st, 2012
40
What breed of dog are you owned by?
by Nuggler | Mar 17th, 2006