Justice in Michael Bryant case


CDNBear
#1
Quote:

The dramatic death that transfixed Toronto last fall — pitting a bicycle courier against a former cabinet minister — has reached an unexpected denouement. The surprise yesterday was not so much that charges were dropped against former attorney-general Michael Bryant as in the factual findings of the special prosecutor.
The victim turned out to be the aggressor in this fatal encounter, the Crown concluded. Bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard had been caught up in an escalating cycle of confrontations against motorists in previous months, according to Richard Peck, who was brought in from Vancouver to prosecute the case. In one episode, Sheppard smashed a car window; in another, he tried to snatch the car keys. In this case, evidence showed he attacked Bryant, who was driving home with his wife in an open convertible, giving him every legal justification to take evasive action.
Sheppard does not deserve to be demonized; his death was a tragedy. But in leaving no stone unturned, the legal system worked as it should. The Attorney General’s department rightly hired a special prosecutor from out of province to avoid any appearance of preferential treatment for a former Ontario attorney-general.

Justice in Michael Bryant case - thestar.com

Yep, just like I said would happen. Well, actually I thought they would at least go to trial, as to make it look like they were serious.
As a fellow political commentator pointed out elsewhere, the wackos will be out soon to point out how he was given a free pass, because of privilege.

I feel vindicated for having defended him so vehemently. Hey!!! Isn't he a Liberal? Good thing me and the courts don't filter reality through an ideology.
 
Liberalman
#2
CDNBear be honest if the same thing happened to you or any ordinary person they would be doing time in jail.

Because of his former position as Attorney General he still has friends in high places
Last edited by Liberalman; May 26th, 2010 at 07:20 AM..Reason: ....
 
CDNBear
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

CDNBear be honest if the same thing happened to you or any ordinary person they would be doing time in jail.

I don't think so at all, honestly. I watched the video's of the event and have maintained that the Crown would have a hard time convicting period.

Quote:

Because of his former position as Attorney General he still had friends in high places

In B.C.?

eta; I rest my case, lol.
 
Liberalman
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I don't think so at all, honestly. I watched the video's of the event and have maintained that the Crown would have a hard time convicting period.

In B.C.?

eta; I rest my case, lol.

Attorney General is the same no matter what province one still develops professional relationships.

and again if this happened to an ordinary person they would be in jail.
 
CDNBear
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Attorney General is the same no matter what province one still develops professional relationships.



Quote:

and again if this happened to an ordinary person they would be in jail.

Got some proof, via case law or is this just another load of shyte?

Thanks for fulfilling my prophecy.
 
Liberalman
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post




Got some proof, via case law or is this just another load of shyte?

Thanks for fulfilling my prophecy.

CDNBear look in our prisons and that is where the proof is.
 
CDNBear
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

CDNBear look in our prisons and that is where the proof is.

So in other words, your full of shyte. You have no case law, just an opinion with no support. Good to know, thanks.
 
bill barilko
#8
Murderer!
 
CDNBear
#9
 
#juan
#10
Maybe if we look at this thing with all the facts, or most of the facts since I don't profess to know all the facts:

Darcy Allan Sheppard, a bicycle courier was first under the eye of the law that night when police were called to a domestic dispute. Sheppard's girlfriend asked the police to drive him home because he was too drunk but the police refused saying he was okay to drive himself home. He was later found to have a blood alcohol rating of 1.81.
Sheppard next appeared harassing motorists on the street. Among the people being harassed by sheppard was Michael Bryant and his wife in an open convertible. In front of numerous witnesses Sheppard jumped on Bryant's car and grabbed hold of the steering wheel. Sheppard had already done this trick with several other motorists. While Sheppard was attatching himself to Michael Bryant's car, he was in collision with a fire hydrant whitch knocked him off the car where he struck his head on the pavement or the curb and received fatal injuries.

My only complaint was that the case should have gone to trial. I have no doubt Sheppard brought about his own death. Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.
 
Liberalman
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Maybe if we look at this thing with all the facts, or most of the facts since I don't profess to know all the facts:

Darcy Allan Sheppard, a bicycle courier was first under the eye of the law that night when police were called to a domestic dispute. Sheppard's girlfriend asked the police to drive him home because he was too drunk but the police refused saying he was okay to drive himself home. He was later found to have a blood alcohol rating of 1.81.
Sheppard next appeared harassing motorists on the street. Among the people being harassed by sheppard was Michael Bryant and his wife in an open convertible. In front of numerous witnesses Sheppard jumped on Bryant's car and grabbed hold of the steering wheel. Sheppard had already done this trick with several other motorists. While Sheppard was attatching himself to Michael Bryant's car, he was in collision with a fire hydrant whitch knocked him off the car where he struck his head on the pavement or the curb and received fatal injuries.

My only complaint was that the case should have gone to trial. I have no doubt Sheppard brought about his own death. Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.

All this could have been avoided if Bryant didn't put his foot on the gas and steered into a fixed metal object but he did and got away with murder but he said he will remember this for a long time outside of jail good for him
 
#juan
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

All this could have been avoided if Bryant didn't put his foot on the gas and steered into a fixed metal object but he did and got away with murder but he said he will remember this for a long time outside of jail good for him

Liberalman, how on Earth was this murder. Bryant would have been justified if he had bashed Sheppard over the head with a hammer. Since he didn't have a hammer he could have floored the gas pedal and then hit the brakes to get the moron off the car. The car was moving very slowly and Sheppard was steering when the fire hydrant made contact with Sheppard. Bryant was just trying to get away from the psychopath. He was protecting his wife.
 
bill barilko
#13
Murderer!!!!
 
Colpy
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Liberalman, how on Earth was this murder. Bryant would have been justified if he had bashed Sheppard over the head with a hammer. Since he didn't have a hammer he could have floored the gas pedal and then hit the brakes to get the moron off the car. The car was moving very slowly and Sheppard was steering when the fire hydrant made contact with Sheppard. Bryant was just trying to get away from the psychopath. He was protecting his wife.

God knows I can't stand Liberals in general, and McGuinty's Morons in particular.......but Juan is dead on. Bryant would have been justified shooting Sheppard in the face....It is not, and never should be, against the law to try and run from a confrontation.
 
Goober
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Maybe if we look at this thing with all the facts, or most of the facts since I don't profess to know all the facts:

Darcy Allan Sheppard, a bicycle courier was first under the eye of the law that night when police were called to a domestic dispute. Sheppard's girlfriend asked the police to drive him home because he was too drunk but the police refused saying he was okay to drive himself home. He was later found to have a blood alcohol rating of 1.81.
Sheppard next appeared harassing motorists on the street. Among the people being harassed by sheppard was Michael Bryant and his wife in an open convertible. In front of numerous witnesses Sheppard jumped on Bryant's car and grabbed hold of the steering wheel. Sheppard had already done this trick with several other motorists. While Sheppard was attatching himself to Michael Bryant's car, he was in collision with a fire hydrant whitch knocked him off the car where he struck his head on the pavement or the curb and received fatal injuries.

My only complaint was that the case should have gone to trial. I have no doubt Sheppard brought about his own death. Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.


Good article from a respected journalist.

For Michael Bryant, an extraordinary kind of justice - The Globe and Mail
 
CDNBear
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.

Maybe the police aren't a taxi service.

Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

All this could have been avoided if Bryant didn't put his foot on the gas and steered into a fixed metal object but he did and got away with murder but he said he will remember this for a long time outside of jail good for him

You haven't watched the video, or you're being purposely obtuse.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Liberalman, how on Earth was this murder. Bryant would have been justified if he had bashed Sheppard over the head with a hammer. Since he didn't have a hammer he could have floored the gas pedal and then hit the brakes to get the moron off the car. The car was moving very slowly and Sheppard was steering when the fire hydrant made contact with Sheppard. Bryant was just trying to get away from the psychopath. He was protecting his wife.

Right on juan.

Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

Murderer!!!!

Moron.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Good article from a respected journalist.

For Michael Bryant, an extraordinary kind of justice - The Globe and Mail

From your article...

Quote:

This is practically unheard of.

Is how Blatchford describes the handing over of the full file from Bryant's lawyer to the Special Crown. I would otherwise agree, but then I've seen the video's.
 
Liberalman
#17
Quote:

You haven't watched the video, or you're being purposely obtuse.

purposely obtuse?


CDNBear what do you think you saw on the video.

The cyclist reached in the driver's side Bryant gunned it, the car went to the opposite side of the road and the cyclist was brushed off the car and died is that what you saw or did you see something more CDNBear
 
CDNBear
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

purposely obtuse?

Or moronis, take your pick.

Quote:

CDNBear what do you think you saw on the video.

I don't think I saw anything. I know what I saw. I know what I read from witnesses.

Quote:

The cyclist reached in the driver's side Bryant gunned it, the car went to the opposite side of the road and the cyclist was brushed off the car and died is that what you saw or did you see something more CDNBear

And then some. I called his acquittal as soon as I saw the video. I'm no legal expert, but I've been in and out of court on criminal charges enough to know a little bit.

I really don't care if you don't understand how the law works. That's your problem, not mine.
 
Liberalman
#19
Quote:

#juan
Liberalman, how on Earth was this murder. Bryant would have been justified if he had bashed Sheppard over the head with a hammer. Since he didn't have a hammer he could have floored the gas pedal and then hit the brakes to get the moron off the car. The car was moving very slowly and Sheppard was steering when the fire hydrant made contact with Sheppard. Bryant was just trying to get away from the psychopath. He was protecting his wife.

He was protecting his wife, she was on the other side of the car.

Bryant was traveling slow or was the video in slow motion.

If the car was traveling slow the guy would have had a broken bone but he died which proves that the car was going faster.

Bryant is sorry and he will remember this for a long time outside of jail and I hope he does while walking on some exotic beach sipping on a pina colada somewhere in the world where people of privilege go.

Quote:

CDNBear
And then some. I called his acquittal as soon as I saw the video. I'm no legal expert, but I've been in and out of court on criminal charges enough to know a little bit.

I really don't care if you don't understand how the law works. That's your problem, not mine

CDNBear if the same thing would have happened to you, you would be in jail but you of all people should know The Man hardly ever suffers
Last edited by Liberalman; May 27th, 2010 at 06:16 AM..Reason: ....
 
CDNBear
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

He was protecting his wife, she was on the other side of the car.

Here's a challenge, call your local Police station. Ask the Duty Sgt. how the Police view the driver of a vehicle, wearing a seat belt, being attacked.

Let me save you the trouble...the driver is considered confined and restrained, and may take extraordinary measures to ensure his/her safety as well as that of his/her passengers. But if you doubt that, go ahead a call.

Quote:

If the car was traveling slow the guy would have had a broken bone but he died which proves that the car was going faster.

Of course he was accelerating. He did nothing I wouldn't have done, if I found myself restrained, confined and under attack, in my car.
Quote:

Bryant is sorry and he will remember this for a long time outside of jail and I hope he does while walking on some exotic beach sipping on a pina colada somewhere in the world where people of privilege go.

Or if I were in his shoes, fishing some Ontario lake or stream, where citizens under the law go when they aren't guilty of any wrong doing.

Quote:

CDNBear if the same thing would have happened to you, you would be in jail but you of all people should know The Man hardly ever suffers

Again, got any case law?

Unless you can cite some case law, you're talking out your ass again Libby.
Last edited by CDNBear; May 27th, 2010 at 06:23 AM..
 
Liberalman
#21
CDNBear let's agree that I am right and you are wrong
 
CDNBear
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

CDNBear let's agree that I am right and you are wrong



How about we agree you're full of sh!t.

Got any case law yet?
 
JLM
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

CDNBear be honest if the same thing happened to you or any ordinary person they would be doing time in jail.

Because of his former position as Attorney General he still has friends in high places

All that comes under the heading of "Who shot John". While on paper it looks suspicious, it has nothing to do with the particular merits of the case. Was he a Liberal Atty. General?
 
Liberalman
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

All that comes under the heading of "Who shot John". While on paper it looks suspicious, it has nothing to do with the particular merits of the case. Was he a Liberal Atty. General?

If he was an average Liberal not a person of privilege he would be in jail
 
CDNBear
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

If he was an average Liberal not a person of privilege he would be in jail

Still talking out your ass, or do you have any case law yet?
 
JLM
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

If he was an average Liberal not a person of privilege he would be in jail

You already said that, but saying it twice doesn't make it twice as likely.
 
wulfie68
#27
The only context I can see for Liberalman's claim is that the quality of defense one has in court is impacted by the financial resources one has available. In other words, if you can afford it, you will most likely be better defended, than if you have to rely on court appointed defenders or even your local lawyer available to a smaller or blue collar community. In his job as Attourney General, he would have had to work with some of the top lawyers in the nation (and build relationships with some of them), and some of them might even have been willing to play a bit of the favour game that we all know goes on politics.

That being said, the Ontario gov't did what they had to do to avoid the appearance of impropriety and really the charges don't seem to be justified by the evidence, as seen by the public.
 
CDNBear
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

The only context I can see for Liberalman's claim is that the quality of defense one has in court is impacted by the financial resources one has available. In other words, if you can afford it, you will most likely be better defended, than if you have to rely on court appointed defenders or even your local lawyer available to a smaller or blue collar community.

I actually have to disagree. I've been represented by one of the best lawyers in Ontario, Dennis Reeve. If you need to check on his ability, look up the Caribana shooting in Tdot a few years back. The shooter walked. Dennis was his lawyer.

Not only was his fee reasonable, he allows you pay it off over time, paying what you can, when you can. With the only caveat being, "If you stiff me, lose my number".

Quote:

In his job as Attourney General, he would have had to work with some of the top lawyers in the nation (and build relationships with some of them), and some of them might even have been willing to play a bit of the favour game that we all know goes on politics.

This may be true, but in such a high profile case, that could be political suicide.
Quote:

That being said, the Ontario gov't did what they had to do to avoid the appearance of impropriety and really the charges don't seem to be justified by the evidence, as seen by the public.

Absolutely. The video evidence was the clinch pin for my opinion. The witness statements that made it to the news, merely complimented the video.

From the onset, I was positive he would walk. I was sure there would be a trail. I still think Bryant has some culpability here, but as to the charges he faced, he was innocent.
 
DurkaDurka
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

All this could have been avoided if Bryant didn't put his foot on the gas and steered into a fixed metal object but he did and got away with murder but he said he will remember this for a long time outside of jail good for him

Easy for you to say, have you ever been privileged to have an angry drunk grabbing at your steering wheel while driving a convertible?

Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

If he was an average Liberal not a person of privilege he would be in jail

What is an average liberal? Your idiocy knows no bounds.

Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

The only context I can see for Liberalman's claim is that the quality of defense one has in court is impacted by the financial resources one has available. In other words, if you can afford it, you will most likely be better defended, than if you have to rely on court appointed defenders or even your local lawyer available to a smaller or blue collar community. In his job as Attourney General, he would have had to work with some of the top lawyers in the nation (and build relationships with some of them), and some of them might even have been willing to play a bit of the favour game that we all know goes on politics.

That being said, the Ontario gov't did what they had to do to avoid the appearance of impropriety and really the charges don't seem to be justified by the evidence, as seen by the public.

The defense didn't have to do anything in the case, he could had duty council and the result would have been the same. The Crown chose to drop the charges because there wasn't a reasonable chance of conviction.

Also, the prosecutor appointed was from BC, chosen specifically to avoid any charges of bias. In my opinion, the whole situation was pretty transparent.
Last edited by DurkaDurka; May 27th, 2010 at 09:07 AM..Reason: addition
 
CDNBear
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

The defense didn't have to do anything in the case, he could had duty council and the result would have been the same. The Crown chose to drop the charges because there wasn't a reasonable chance of conviction.

Hence why the Defense handed over ALL the evidence they had.
 

Similar Threads

2
Justice tix?!
by davegrover | Mar 9th, 2008