105.6 degrees

VIBC
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Actually many people do. Technically they vote for the candidate for that party but in effect they are voting party. Otherwise party affiliation would not be on the ballot. Then voters would have to think a little.

"Technically" the candidate is the only thing they can Actually vote for. They may be hoping that the candidate will win and contribute to a parliamentary majority for his/her party; but that depends on the votes of millions of others, over which an individual voter thankfully has no control.

In general we have no way of knowing why any individuals vote as they do; whether because it's because they favor the party or the candidate (or both.) Personally I usually vote for the candidate whose ideas of common sense align best with my own and appears honest(ish ), although I have on occasion voted 'strategically'.

Again personally, I despise party politics. I agree with your idea of taking affiliation off the ballot. Whether it would result in more thoughtful voting may be doubtful. Most people seem trapped in their 'Us vs Them' addiction.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
petros
+1
An old poem about sun baked Oz.

NZDoug
OOOOKAY then.
Im glad my dog and cat and relatives and my home are still in existence.
I'm telling you my dear, that it cant happen here.
"South Australian Premier Steven Marshall described the scene as "absolutely devastating". "This is a very sad day for the people of South Australia as many return to their homes in the Adelaide Hills … and all they find is rubble," he said.
The Premier also confirmed that 404 outbuildings at properties and 227 vehicles have been destroyed.
In NSW, the areas hardest hit include Lithgow and along the Bells Line of Road in the upper Blue Mountains, and the Wollondilly and Wingecarribee Shire villages of Buxton, Balmoral and Bargo, which were ravaged for the second time in three days."
more
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12296118

petros
+3
A Wollondilly of a fire. Material items can be replaced and the land is in the end renewed. Lost lives and injury are all avoidable.

NZDoug
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

A Wollondilly of a fire. Material items can be replaced and the land is in the end renewed. Lost lives and injury are all avoidable.

I won't try put you out, but I would try to extinguish the negative.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

I won't try put you out, but I would try to extinguish the negative.

you should have heard him when fort mac was on fire

petros
+1
What did I say?

taxslave
+2

What did I say?

I believe it was something about hoid being a retard. All factual anyway.

Hoid
retard is a white natty magic word, like ilk and tidewater

NZDoug
The goose is cooked..
Whats good for the Goose is good for the Gander.
Operation Leapfrog.
CL-415s?
Might be time to re-start production.
👍 ...................
""After Victoria sweltered through one of its hottest days on record, cockatoos were “falling dead from the trees”
“The thermometer under the back veranda got to 48.9C today, not an official reading obviously, but it was enough to kill these sulphur-crested cockatoos,” Bill Wallace wrote on Twitter on Friday"
“I’ve never seen that before,” one shocked commenter said."
"Other social media users shared photos of animals stressed in the heat over the weekend, including another bird that had fallen dead from its tree in inner-west Sydney on Saturday, as temperatures reached 36 degrees in the city."
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...wildlife-strug
gles-to-survive-through-extreme-heat-and-smoke/news-story/b6
a92ee1e22cc99a2ba888aaf1e2cf92
Meanwhile Aussie PM Scott Morrison has been holidaying in Hawaii, he has drawn scorn for holidaying while Australia faced an epidemic of bushfires and record breaking temperatures (in particular the national average), he has also gone on the defensive after being criticized by Greta Thunberg for failing to make the connection between climate change and more extreme weather events:
"Australia and the Australian Government will set our policies based on Australia's national interests, on what Australia needs to do," Mr Morrison told reporters
"Greta, 16, also retweeted pictures overnight of cockatoos that had dropped dead from trees in western Victoria because of the extreme heat."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...le.cfm?c_id=2&
;objectid=12296305
It's very sad that gentle, intelligent and sensitive parrots have been affected by the severe heat, at least I know that one is safe with me.
It's very sobering to realise that the temperatures are almost certainly going to keep increasing every decade. If it's bad now, I hate to think what it's going to be like in 10 years, 20 years...etc"

petros
+1
Quote:

Meanwhile Aussie PM Scott Morrison has been holidaying in Hawaii, he has drawn scorn for holidaying while Australia faced an epidemic of bushfires and record breaking temperatures (in particular the national average), he has also gone on the defensive after being criticized by Greta Thunberg for failing to make the connection between climate change and more extreme weather events:

There isn't any connection.

NZDoug

There isn't any connection.

Its the thought that counts!
Lets all hold hands and pray for oil.......
(!% &#128165

petros
+2
Oil is fighting the fires.

NZDoug

Oil is fighting the fires.

by providing fuel for total destruction.

petros
+3
That's funny. Which of three oceans has oil driven global warming cooled off to cause the drought?

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by VIBC View Post

"Technically" the candidate is the only thing they can Actually vote for. They may be hoping that the candidate will win and contribute to a parliamentary majority for his/her party; but that depends on the votes of millions of others, over which an individual voter thankfully has no control.
In general we have no way of knowing why any individuals vote as they do; whether because it's because they favor the party or the candidate (or both.) Personally I usually vote for the candidate whose ideas of common sense align best with my own and appears honest(ish ), although I have on occasion voted 'strategically'.
Again personally, I despise party politics. I agree with your idea of taking affiliation off the ballot. Whether it would result in more thoughtful voting may be doubtful. Most people seem trapped in their 'Us vs Them' addiction.

In the interests of good government I would like to see many more independents.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

by providing fuel for total destruction.

Yep those water bombers are really destroying things.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Yep those water bombers are really destroying things.

the fires are destroying things

oil is causing the fires.

pgs
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Are the arsonists called oil ?

Hoid
what i really need to do today is discuss things with climate change deniers

DaSleeper
+3

No worse than us discussing things with a climate change bullshitter!

taxslave

retard is a white natty magic word, like ilk and tidewater

The only people I have ever heard call the ocean tidewater are journalists from back east. And you.

taxslave
+2

Sure it is. Whole oil wells are getting up out of the ground and pumping themselves all over the brush and then dragging their girders back and forth across the pool to create a spark.
Jesus you are stupid.

taxslave
+2

You do not have the intelligence nor the education necessary to carry on a rational discussion with adults..

Hoid
is that why you follow me around the forums?

pgs
+3

is that why you follow me around the forums?

Does he ?

Jinentonix
+1

The arsonists are using oil to set the fires?

Jinentonix
+3

You mean AGW deniers you disingenuous little prick.

spaminator
http://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/1208569330947911680

petros
+2
Crickey it's an Erwin.