Legendary talk-show host Tom Snyder dies

CBC News
Television talk-show host Tom Snyder, known for his casual style and iconic interviews with the likes of John Lennon and Charles Manson, has died after a battle with leukemia.
The 71-year-old died Sunday in San Francisco, according to his friend and longtime producer, Mike Horowicz.
Snyder's laid-back attitude was further imbued by his smoking habit, cigarette clouds swirling as he interviewed high-profile guests. His catchphrase was: "Fire up a colourtini, sit back, relax and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air." MORE
What are your memories of Tom Snyder's career?

More...

Pangloss
Folks, this guy was first-rate. Smart, funny, modest and genuinely interested in his guests and the world around him - his interviews always got me laughing with delight and surprise, and man oh man, did I ever try to copy his style!

I will seriously miss this guy.

Pangloss

Curiosity
When I was going to school down here, I worked at a competitive network affiliate station and I had a major crush on Synder's laid back style and his sexuality which seemed to be ageless...

I had to sneak into one office and turn on the 'wrong' channel to watch him, but I think that was part of my enjoyment.... like he was worth my getting heck from my bosses for watching another network...

I wish there was someone like Snyder these days.... he had such a smooth 'honeyness' in his interviews... makes most of the personalities we have now seem like hyperventilating hysterics.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post

Folks, this guy was first-rate. Smart, funny, modest and genuinely interested in his guests and the world around him - his interviews always got me laughing with delight and surprise, and man oh man, did I ever try to copy his style!

I will seriously miss this guy.

Pangloss

Copy his style???....may i inquire pangloss, are you a radio or tv talk host?

I loved the whole vibe the guy brought with him. back in the 80's I loved watching him and his schtick with the off camera crew.....Great guy. The world is a better palce with him in it.....
Hurry back Tom!

gopher
Tom Snyder! He was incredibly popular in NYC for his style and class.

Will miss him greatly ...

Curiosity
OMG I remembered something this morning - something Snyder said on air which I thought was fantastic.... so I wrote him a fan letter - I mean a real letter sent in the snail mail ....

He answered back - in his own handwriting.... I hope I still have it. I never throw anything away.

He was such an intimate guy - like he was talking in a room with each person watching him and his guest. Very few of those 'old timey' interviews go on now - they are usually waiting to insert the
bleeder question and everything else is just sound to put the guest at ease....before they pounce.

Unforgiven
Never thought too much of him. I'd watch once in a whille if he had something I was interested on but other than that, I found his voice to be some what grating.

Pangloss
Dan Ackroyd did an awesome, bang-on impersonation of him.

Doc: Used to be, used to be.

Pangloss