Cool, Compassionate, and Just Plain Nice Cop Thread

spaminator
Bikini-clad Swedish cop makes arrest while sunbathing
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 09:26 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 29, 2016 09:36 AM EDT
STOCKHOLM -- She was off duty and wearing a bikini but that didn't stop Swedish police officer Mikaela Kellner from catching a suspected thief.
A photo of Kellner pinning the suspect to the ground was trending on social media in Sweden this week.
"My first intervention while wearing a bikini during my 11 years as a police officer," she wrote on Instagram .
Kellner and three friends were sunbathing Wednesday in a Stockholm park, a homeless man selling newspapers approached, she told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
After he left, one friend noticed her phone was missing. Kellner and a fellow police officer gave chase.
Kellner said she didn't hesitate to make the arrest while wearing a bikini.
"If I had been naked I would have intervened as well," she said.
In this photo provided by Jenny Kitsune, Adolffson Swedish police officer Mikaela Kellner is pinning a man to the ground who is suspected to have stolen a friend's mobile phone as she said, in Stockholm Sweden, Wednesday, July 27, 2016. (Jenny Kitsune Adolfsson via AP)

Bikini-clad Swedish cop makes arrest while sunbathing | Weird | News | Toronto S

spaminator
Italian police cook elderly couple pasta to settle domestic dispute
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 03:56 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 04:10 PM EDT
ROME -- Police in a Rome neighbourhood have come to the "rescue" of an elderly, quarreling couple by cooking them two plates of pasta.
Police headquarters said Tuesday that neighbours called police one recent, hot summer night because the 94-year-old man and the 89-year-old woman -- married for nearly 70 years -- were doing lots of shouting.
According to a police statement, "it can happen, as it did this time, that they were yelling out their desperation so strongly, in the end someone called police."
The statement said the four officers realized there was no crime in progress, just "two souls to reassure." They set to work treating them to dinner, using ingredients at their disposal: spaghetti, butter, cheese plus a "precious ingredient -- all their humanity."
The couple ate with gusto.
In this recent photo made available by the Italian Police, two police officers serve pasta, after cooking it, to two elderly, after they were called in a Rome neighborhood to check on a couple loudly quarreling on a recent, hot summer night. Police say that four officers who came to the couple's apartment used butter, cheese, spaghetti and "all their humanity" to cook them dinner and ease their loneliness. (Italian Police Photo via AP)

Italian police cook elderly couple pasta to settle domestic dispute | World | Ne

spaminator
Policeman pays for gas of driver who only had $1.79 on him
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 04:01 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 04:05 PM EDT
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. -- A Massachusetts police officer has paid for the gasoline of a driver who mistakenly pumped $20 worth of fuel into his car with only $1.79 in his pocket.
Paul Zabawa tells The Daily Hampshire Gazette he was in desperate need of fuel Monday when he pulled into a Northampton gas station with less than $2 on him. He gave the money to the attendant but accidentally pumped $20 worth of gas.
The attendant said he would have to call police.
Coincidentally, Officer Michael Szawlowski pulled into the station at that time to buy water before a detail.
The officer paid for the gas. When Zabawa offered to repay him, he said, "Don't worry about it at all."
The officer says he was just trying to resolve a simple misunderstanding.
Policeman pays for gas of driver who only had $1.79 on him | World | News | Toro

spaminator
Parliament Hill shooting hero Kevin Vickers' son saves woman’s life
The Canadian Press
First posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 01:12 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 11, 2016 01:41 PM EDT
MIRAMICHI, N.B. -- The son of Parliament Hill shooting hero Kevin Vickers is being commended for his part in saving a woman's life -- again.
Const. Andrew Vickers of Miramichi police responded Tuesday morning to the city's Centennial Bridge, where a 19-year-old woman had climbed onto the outside girder and appeared to be getting ready to jump.
Deputy police chief Brian Cummings said on Thursday the woman was "about 15 feet above the roadway on one of the steel girders of the bridge hanging out over the water," which was perhaps about 100 feet below.
When Vickers arrived, he climbed out after her, Sgt. Dana Hicks said.
"Vickers got out onto the girder with the young lady to prevent her from falling or jumping off, at considerable risk to himself," Hicks said in a release.
A passing motorist saw what was happening, stopped his vehicle and climbed out to secure Vickers' ankles until Const. Bradley Gallant arrived, Hicks said.
"The second officer was a trained hostage negotiator, just as it happened, and he was able to engage in conversation with the female, and after about 10 minutes, I'm sure what seemed like an eternity, they were able to talk her back in," said Cummings.
"My (understanding) is she's getting some treatment and that's a good thing."
Kevin Vickers, who famously shot gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau in 2014 while Parliament's sergeant-at-arms, commended his son on Twitter , saying that he was doing "God's work," and that he was proud of him. The elder Vickers is now Canada's ambassador to Ireland.
Cummings said the officers told him "it's just another day on the job." In fact, it wasn't the first time Andrew Vickers helped save a woman's life.
Vickers jumped into the frigid Miramichi river in October 2011 to rescue a woman after a car crash.
According to a description of that rescue from St. John Ambulance New Brunswick, which gave Vickers and two other people life-saving awards, Vickers saw the woman struggling in the river.
"With a rope tied to his waist, Const. Vickers swam to the woman with great difficulty, as the water was causing him to be hypothermic. Having reached the woman, Const. Vickers worked to tow her to shore even though he was feeling the extreme effects of the cold water. Somehow the rope became unattached," St. John Ambulance said in a Facebook post.
"At this point, off duty volunteer firefighter Stephen Gammon ran into the water with the rope now attached to him and secured by Sgt. Leslie Saunders. Stephen took hold of Const. Vickers and the woman and swam them to shore with the assistance of Sgt. Saunders and the rope."
Andrew Vickers, second from right, poses for a photo in this 2012 handout photo. The son of Parliament Hill shooting hero Kevin Vickers is being commended for his part in saving a woman's life - again. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - St. John Ambulance Saint-Jean - Harry Mullin)

Parliament Hill shooting hero Kevin Vickers' son saves woman’s life | Canada | N

spaminator
Officer pulls man from tracks just before train arrives
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 09:49 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 29, 2016 11:04 AM EDT
SECAUCUS, N.J. -- A New Jersey Transit police officer is being hailed as a hero for pulling a man from train tracks in northern New Jersey last week.
Authorities say Officer Victor Ortiz says he followed the man he saw exiting a train at Secaucus Junction as the man jumped onto the tracks. Ortiz says the man kneeled down onto the tracks as a train was about a half-mile away.
He grabbed the man who kept saying "I just want to die," and Ortiz eventually was able to pull him off the tracks just as the train was coming into the station.
NJ Transit officials say they couldn't be more proud of Ortiz and hope it reminds people what police officers do every day.
Officer pulls man from tracks just before train arrives | World | News | Toronto

N.J. officer pulls man from tracks before train arrives
The Associated Press
First posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 04:49 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 29, 2016 05:09 PM EDT
SECAUCUS, N.J. -- A New Jersey Transit police officer is being hailed as a hero for pulling a man from the tracks and out of the way of an oncoming train last week.
NJ Transit said in a statement that Officer Victor Ortiz responded heroically when he pulled the man from the tracks at Secaucus Junction on Friday morning, seconds before the arrival of a train.
"Officer Ortiz's selfless and heroic actions demonstrated a level of bravery and a true sense of compassion and purpose that often goes unrecognized but is ever present in our law enforcement community," the agency said.
Ortiz told The Record newspaper he received a report of a disorderly passenger about to exit a train.
The man repeatedly asked why police were called. Ortiz said he asked the man to sit down while he spoke to the conductor, but that he walked down the platform and jumped onto the tracks, saying he didn't want to go to jail.
Ortiz said he checked to see that there were no oncoming trains before following the man, who ran to another set of tracks.
"At that point he's like, 'I just want to die, I just want to die,'" Ortiz told WCBS-TV. "He pretty much went down on his knees and down on his arms. At that point I said, 'You're not going to die, you're not going to die.'"
Ortiz struggled with the man and said he called central communications to stop the oncoming train, but its horn blew.
"I knew at that point the train's not going to stop in time," Ortiz said.
Video showed Ortiz eventually overpowering and dragging the man to safety moments before a train pulls into the station.
N.J. officer pulls man from tracks before train arrives | World | News | Toronto

spaminator
Video shows rescue of dad and son after overdoses on highway
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 04:54 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 02, 2016 05:00 PM EDT
WEST CHESTER, Ohio — The Ohio State Highway Patrol says a trooper and a nurse helped save a father and son who had apparently overdosed on heroin inside a car along a busy interstate.
A dash cam video shows the trooper finding the unresponsive father and son Monday evening along Interstate 75, 15 miles north of Cincinnati. The doors were locked, so the trooper broke a window to get in.
A nurse who was driving by in an SUV also pulled over to help.
They were given the overdose antidote naloxone and taken to a hospital. A patrol spokesman says they were treated and released that day.
Authorities say the driver of the car has been charged with operating a vehicle under the influence.
Video shows rescue of dad and son after overdoses on highway | World | News | To

spaminator
Cat fished out of Lake Ontario, owner sought
By Maryam Shah , Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 11:04 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 01:10 PM EDT
Missing a cat on the waterfront?
The Toronto Police marine unit rescued a soaking wet feline from a tire in Lake Ontario near Stadium Road, by Lake Shore Blvd. and Bathurst St., on Labour Day.
Now they want to reunite the kitty with its owner.
“When the officer got there, it was soaking wet and cold and it pretty much dove at him and he rescued it and now they have it there at the station,” Const. Allyson Douglas-Cook said on Tuesday.
Officers believe it is “definitely” a house cat and not a stray. But they don't want to release any description or photographs just yet.
“They didn't want a random person saying it's their cat,” explained Douglas-Cook.
Police have simply described the feline as “a pretty cool cat.”
“They've all gotten a little bit attached to it.”
Contact Toronto Police if that sounds like your cat.
Cat fished out of Lake Ontario, owner sought | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Su

Tecumsehsbones
+1
And in the "don't get mad, get even" category. . .

He sexually abused her as a child. She became a police officer and hunted him down.

By Travis M. Andrews September 8

Erlis Joseph Chaisson is a serial child molester.

He first spent time in prison for sexually assaulting an 8-year-old in Louisiana but was released in 1994, according to KXXV.

The 47-year-old might have remained free if one 27-year-old north central Texas police officer hadn’t gone far above the call of duty.

The two weren’t strangers. In fact, they’re relatives.

And their pasts dovetail in a horrific way. For four years, Chaisson had sexually abused her when she was a young girl, forcing her to rub his p*nis and performing oral sex on her.

It began when she was 8 years old.

She became a cop. And in 2014, more than 15 years after the abuse, she arranged a meeting with him and secretly recorded their conversation.

She had a recorder stashed away in her bra, capturing the entire traumatic conversation.

On that two-hour tape, he described to her, in detail, what he did to her. He blames her for it. He tells her she wouldn’t understand because she doesn’t possess male genitalia. He praises himself by saying that at least, “I kept you a virgin, didn’t I?”

Most importantly, he confessed. Over and over and over again.

Because of that, he’ll spend life in prison, a jury recently decided.

The officer’s name has not been made public and The Washington Post does not name victims of sexual abuse.

A few years ago, the officer decided to begin attending therapy. She learned that her issues likely stemmed from the abuse Chaisson heaped upon her from the ages of 8 to 12 — more than 15 years ago. At first, he would rub and scratch her back, cuddling with the child. Then he made a habit of climbing into her bed at night, as she tried to sleep.

It escalated.

Chaisson began gyrating his genitals between her legs, forcing her hand to rub them. Eventually, he performed oral sex on her.

Through therapy, Doe realized she needed to confront this painful past. And she had a pretty good idea of how she could do it — after all, she had just been trained as a police officer.

“I’ve always, always wanted to be a detective,” she told the Daily Beast. “I was fresh out of the academy. It was kind of, ‘If he’s going to talk, he’s going to talk’ — how do I prove it?”

Added Doe, “I thought to myself: I’m the difference between him and prison.”

Doe decided it was her responsibility to put this predator away for good while facing her own past — two birds with one stone.
“My job is in law enforcement,” she told the Waco Tribune-Herald. “I’m held to a higher standard. I just want to protect people, and how can I do that if I can’t even protect myself?”

So in September 2014, the then-25-year-old told McLennan County Sheriff’s Detective Brad Bond everything she could remember about the abuse. The two decided she could get him to confess, on tape.

So she called Chaisson.

Doe presented a good reason for the conversation — she was in therapy and needed closure.

“He knew that I was in counseling and he knew I wanted to talk about the abuse,” she told the Waco Tribune-Herald.

In the 25-minute phone recording, which was played in court, Chaisson insisted they meet in person to have the conversation, so he could present his side of the story.

“We need to talk, but not on the phone,” Chaisson said. “We need to sit down and talk face to face. Then you can explain and I can explain. There are always two sides to every story.”

“How can there be two sides?” she asked.

“Everything has two sides. If you want to meet, maybe we can go through some scenarios and have some closures,” Chaisson said.
They arranged a meeting in a public park in Granbury, Texas, and she prepared herself — both mentally and physically.

She borrowed a tape recorder from a friend who also worked in law enforcement and hid the device in her bra. She armed herself with her pistol. She arranged for her friend to observe her meeting with Chaisson from her truck, parked about 75 yards from the bench where they were meeting.

She took a deep breath.

In an interview with the Daily Beast, she explained what happened that day.

When she arrived to the park, Chaisson was on a bench, holding a cigarette.

“My heart was racing,” she said.

So many things could go wrong, and the idea of him actually confessing to what he had done likely seemed absurd at that point.
But it shouldn’t have. He poured out the truth.

“He was talking like he was talking to his best friend,” she told the Daily Beast. “Six times, he confessed — in the first hour and a half of that recording.”

He confessed, but he said, “You’re putting, trying to put all the blame on me.” He attempted to shift the blame by saying things like, “I always stopped myself before I went too far,” “It takes two” and “I kept you a virgin, didn’t I?”

He continued.

“You need to control your curiosity. I wasn’t supposed to be the friend you played nasty with,” Chaisson told her. “I’d be laying on the couch and then you got that look in your eyes. I’d pull the covers up and you’d come run in and jump under there and back up all the way to me. In the mornings, cuddle up to you, scratch your back.”

He also blamed his biological sex.

“If you had a p*nis, you would know,” he said.

Police were pleased to capture the confession but shocked.

“We don’t ever get stuff like that,” Det. Bond told The Daily Beast. “It’s better than a confession. Even when they confess, they don’t give us all of the details. It was even better.”

Prosecutors played the two-hour tape in its entirety for the jury.

“I don’t think you can hear that recording — no matter who you are — and have it not have an impact on you,” District Attorney Gabrielle Massey told the Daily Beast.

“A life prison term is the only just punishment,” Prosecutor Andrew Erwin told the jury during the trial, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported.

Stephen Gordon, the attorney representing Chaisson, begged for mercy.

“Can you consider mercy? Can you consider grace? He is going to prison no matter what you do,” Gordon said. “He’s going to be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life.”

The judge and jury agreed with Erwin.

He was convicted of aggravated sexual assault of a child and two counts of indecency with a child by contact on Aug. 26, which led to automatic life sentence.

He will spend at least 42 years in prison before he’s eligible for parole, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported. By that point, he’ll be 89 years old.

One other victim testified during the trial, and others found the courage to come forward to prosecutors after the trail.

As for the detective, she told the Daily Beast it feels like “a weight lifting over my shoulders.”

“I no longer have to hide the secret or bear the responsibility of it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

Tough cop. I'm glad I wasn't dirtbag's lawyer.

Still, I don't suppose we're going to hear anybody from that community condemn this guy. What is it with these people?

spaminator
Toronto cop Making Strides for victims of crime
By Chris Doucette , Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 03:35 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, September 11, 2016 03:45 PM EDT
TORONTO - Most people choose to spend their vacation relaxing on a beach, hanging out at a cottage or maybe cruising on a boat.
But Toronto Police Supt. Heinz Kuck uses time off to push himself to his physical limits and to raise money for victims of crime.
And the 11 Division unit commander’s latest challenge, dubbed Making Strides — a 500-kilometre trek on an ElliptiGo bike — may be his most gruelling to date.
“I’m always looking for something new and more challenging that can help raise awareness of Victim Services Toronto (VST) and the great work they do,” Kuck told the Toronto Sun recently.
The 56-year-old has raised close to $55,000 for VST since 2012 by taking on arduous expeditions meant to metaphorically simulate the emotional and physical pain that crime victims endure while recovering from injury and loss.
For his latest endeavour, Kuck will ride his strange-looking bike — essentially an elliptical machine on wheels — from Toronto to the Quebec border.
Kuck will leave from Sunnyside Beach in the last week of September or first week of October, depending on the weather forecast. He’ll follow the Waterfront Trail along Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River before finishing up just outside of Coteau-du-Lac, Que.
The trek will take five days and he’ll travel upwards of 100 km each day on the ElliptiGo bike, which the senior Toronto officer explained is easier than running but harder than cycling.
“It’s a lot of fun, but it takes some practice to get your balance,” Kuck said of the tricky bike. “It’s almost like being on a skateboard.”
“There’s a great degree of freedom,” he added.
However, spending six to seven hours a day on the ElliptiGo bike will test his mettle.
“It’s more difficult than riding a standard bike because the wheels are smaller and you’re standing the whole time, so you’re not as aerodynamic,” Kuck explained.
He said he plans to spread the word about the great work done by VST during his travels, which will include stops in Port Hope, Picton, Kingston, Morrisburg and Montreal.
“I’ll also be encouraging people to make a small donation so that Victim Services Toronto can continue their great work,” he said.
He’ll also use the twitter accounts @VSToronto and @TPS11Div to share the “trials and tribulations” he encounters along the way.
Kuck hoped Making Strides would raise $5,500, but he’s already surpassed that goal by nearly $1,000.
Anyone interested in making a donation can visit HK MAKING STRIDES.
BY THE NUMBERS:
• One senior Toronto cop.
• One ElliptiGo bike.
• Five days.
• Five nights.
• 100 kilometres per day.
• Up to seven hours per day.
• 500 kilometres to Quebec border.
Fundraising efforts for Victim Services Toronto:
•Making Waves: In 2012 and 2013, Kuck and some fellow officers raised $35,000 canoeing 55 km across Lake Ontario — from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the Mississauga Sailing Club.
•Making Tracks 1: In 2014, Kuck spent five days dog sledding 120 km through Algonquin Park and raised $8,800.
•Making Tracks 2: In 2015, Kuck upped the ante by mushing a dog sled for 10 days over 250 km of frozen northern Ontario wilderness to James Bay, raising $11,000.
•Making Strides: In the coming weeks, Kuck plans to ride an ElliptiGo bike 500 km — from Toronto to the Quebec border — over five days. So far, he has raised $6,350.
Kuck’s other fundraising efforts:
•Paddle for Provisions: In 2014, Kuck paddled 22 km around the Toronto Islands and raised 7,000 pounds of food for food banks.
•Bang and Olufssen Yorkville Run: In 2015, Kuck raised $2,000 for Victim Services Toronto’s new trauma dog program by running 5 km with VST’s trauma dog, Dandy.
•Push for Hope: In June 2016, Kuck pushed a heavily weighted sled for two hours, travelling 3 km through the city, raising more than $10,000 for the Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club.
cdoucette@postmedia.com
Toronto Police Supt. Heinz Kuck's latest fundraising effort for Victim Services Toronto will see him ride an ElliptiGo bike from the city's west end to the Quebec border. (PHOTO SUPPLIED BY TORONTO POLICE)

Toronto cop Making Strides for victims of crime | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto

spaminator
RCMP rescue family from Dauphin fire
WINNIPEG SUN
First posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 01:52 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 03:49 PM EDT
Two Dauphin RCMP officers saved a family of four from a house fire early Sunday morning.
The officers responded to a report of a fire about 3:25 a.m. Saturday. When they arrived, they found a shed behind a gas station had caught on fire and had quickly spread to an adjacent house.
“They responded to a call, were presented with a situation and deemed it prudent to enter the house,” Const. Rob Tuff said from Dauphin on Tuesday. “They could hear the fire trucks coming but they were a ways away, so they decided to get the four people out of the house safely.”
The officers banged on the windows and doors, but no one answered. So they entered the home and woke up the mother and three children. Tuff, who was not involved in the rescue, did not know the ages of the children who were rescued.
The four family members were treated by paramedics at the scene and did not have to go to the hospital, Tuff said.
Local fire crews were able to put out the blaze. Damage to the home has yet to be estimated.
“We’re looking at it as an arson,” Tuff said.
The investigation is continuing with the help of the local fire commissioner.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dauphin RCMP at 204-622-5020 or call Manitoba Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).
jbender@postmedia.com
Twitter: @bendersun
Dauphin RCMP said the cause of the fire appears to be arson. (RCMP PHOTO)

RCMP rescue family from Dauphin fire | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

tay
Cop fired for not shooting

Stephen Mader is a former Marine who used that training in his job, as a Weirton, West Virginia, police officer to de-escalate a situation and not shoot an armed man.

Mader was faced with an armed man who told the officer to shoot him. And because Mader did not shoot him, he is now a former Weirton, West Virginia, police officer.

Mader responded to a 911 domestic call on May 6 of a person threatening suicide. Mader found Ronald “RJ” Williams, Jr. standing outside the house and says that’s when his Marine training of “looking at ‘the whole person’ in deciding if someone was a terrorist, as well as his situational police academy training” took over:

I saw then he had a gun, but it was not pointed at me,” Mr. Mader recalled, noting the silver handgun was in the man’s right hand, hanging at his side and pointed at the ground.
[ … ]
Mr. Mader, who was standing behind Mr. Williams’ car parked on the street, said he then “began to use my calm voice.”
“I told him, ‘Put down the gun,’ and he’s like, ‘Just shoot me.’ And I told him, ‘I’m not going to shoot you brother.’ Then he starts flicking his wrist to get me to react to it.
“I thought I was going to be able to talk to him and deescalate it. I knew it was a suicide-by-cop” situation.

Mader probably would have talked Williams down … if two other Weirton police officers hadn’t shown up on the scene and promptly shot Williams—in the back of the head, no less.

The case was investigated and the officer who killed Williams was found to have acted within policy. But Mader was fired for “failure to eliminate a threat.” By not shooting Williams, Mader was told his actions put two other officers at risk. Mader consulted with an attorney about getting his job back but was told that probably wasn’t going to happen

“ … He was told because he was still a probationary employee in an “at-will” state, he could be fired for any reason and there was no point in fighting the city.”
“One attorney told him the best he could hope for was to ask to resign instead of being terminated.”
“But I told [the attorney] ‘Look, I don’t want to admit guilt. I’ll take the termination instead of the resignation because I didn’t do anything wrong,’ ” Mr. Mader said. “To resign and admit I did something wrong here would have ate at me. I think I’m right in what I did. I’ll take it to the grave.”

Weirton terminates officer who did not fire at man with gun | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

spaminator
Cops hunt down stolen snake
First posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 07:03 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 16, 2016 07:20 PM EDT
An alleged thief is in custody after police put the squeeze on the case of a stolen boa constrictor.
And the Oshawa couple who own the 1.7-metre long snake, Little Girl, is grateful Durham Regional Police investigators rescued their pet.
“We’re relieved she’s back home and she’s OK,” Alyson Smith, 29, said Friday. “But unfortunately we still have to find a new home of her.”
She and common-law husband, Shawn Leitch, 32, are new parents and had been trying to sell the boa through an online ad when it was stolen last weekend.
A man responded to the couple’s Kijiji posting and agreed to purchase the snake for $350, Smith said.
She said the alleged buyer pulled up to their home in a pick-up truck driven by a woman last Sunday night. Leitch helped him load Little Girl and the snake’s tank into the back of the vehicle.
“The guy then told Shawn he had to get the cash from the front of the truck, but instead he jumped into the truck and they took off,” Smith recalled. “It was dark and the truck’s lights were turned off, so my husband wasn’t able to see the licence plate.”
“Shawn literally stood there with his mouth open, wondering if it was actually happening.” The couple contacted police immediately.
Const. Amanda Rabishaw said investigators were able to identify a suspect through a screen name allegedly used on social media. A man was arrested and the pet was returned to the couple.
Smith said she and her husband are huge animal lovers, but they made the difficult decision to sell Little Girl after having their own little girl seven weeks ago.
“When you have a baby your priorities change,” she said.
The female boa is two years old and will likely double in size by the time she matures.
“She is super friendly like a puppy dog and good with kids,” Smith said of Little Girl.
She added with her newborn, they just don’t have enough space in their house to keep Little Girl, which is ready for a larger tank.
James Hogg, 22, of Pickering, is charged with theft under $5,000 and possession of stolen property under $5,000.
cdoucette@postmedia.com
Alyson Smith holds her two-year-old boa constrictor, Little Girl. (DAVE THOMAS, Toronto Sun)

Cops hunt down stolen snake | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

'He had no hatred in his heart for police'; Rodney King’s daughter stands side-by-side with LAPD
Amanda Lee Myer, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 09:30 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 16, 2016 09:42 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES - Rodney King’s daughter was just 7 when her father was beaten bloody by officers with the Los Angeles Police Department.
She was eating breakfast when it came on the morning news — video footage showing LAPD officers kicking and hitting her unarmed father dozens of times with batons. It gave her nightmares for years.
In a striking scene that stood in sharp contrast to the 1991 beating, the now 32-year-old Lora King stood shoulder to shoulder with about a dozen LAPD officers Thursday, hugging many of them. She was there to join them in a talk to young people who have had their own run-ins with police.
Her message: It’s more important to build bridges with officers than to stand against them.
“That’s actually what my dad stood for, so I’m following in his footsteps. He had no hatred in his heart for police,” King said ahead of her talk with about 50 young adults with the Los Angeles Conservation Corps, which provides at-risk youth with job training, education and work.
King, an administrative assistant at an accounting firm, said she’s had her own negative interactions with police. Despite that and her father’s beating, she said a whole police department can’t be judged by the actions of a few.
“It is hard to trust,” she said. “But it’s not going to get anything resolved by hating.”
More than anything, officers need to listen to the community, and the community needs to keep an open mind, she said.
Rodney King died at the age of 47 after he accidentally drowned in 2012.
His beating was the touchstone for one of the most destructive race riots in the nation’s history. The 1992 riots lasted three days and left 55 people dead, more than 2,000 injured and swaths of Los Angeles on fire. At the height of the violence, King pleaded on television: “Can we all get along?”
Lora King said her father’s beating was an eye-opener at the time, “but it’s like everyone dozed off again.”
Concern over police tactics has been mounting in recent years in the wake of a number of deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of officers across the country. Police have increasingly become targets themselves, most notably when a sniper killed five officers in Dallas in July.
King sat next to LAPD officers as they spoke with young adults about interacting with police, discussing what they can do to help diffuse situations and how police can improve.
Lovis Bell was among them.
The 23-year-old landscaper, who is black, first learned of Rodney King’s beating when he was 14. He said he’s had his own negative interactions with police that he believes were racially motivated, including once being slammed up against a gate, leaving scars on his chest.
But Bell said Lora King’s message was powerful and struck a chord.
“I’m still mad, but there’s no point,” he said. “There’s no room for hate inside my heart.”
Senior Lead Officer Rashad Sharif, who is black, was still a rookie with LAPD when King was beaten and was in the thick of the riots the following year.
He said Lora King’s willingness to join the department to reach out to young people shows just how much LAPD has evolved in the past 25 years.
“That’s a lot of courage to come here and be like, ’That’s the same uniform that put my dad in the hospital,’ ” Sharif said. “Having her here is like full circle ... I just wish I could have met her dad to say, ’Hey, I’m sorry, too.’ ”
'He had no hatred in his heart for police'; Rodney King’s daughter stands side-b

spaminator
Police return emu found wandering southwestern Ontario roads to owner
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 02:10 PM EDT
KILWORTH, Ont. — Ontario Provincial Police say a wandering emu has been returned to its owner.
The emu was reported to police Tuesday morning by concerned citizens who saw the large flightless bird on or near roads in the Kilworth, Ont., area, west of London, Ont.
OPP say officers were able to contain the animal.
Police put out an appeal for the owner or any person or agency qualified to care it, and say the owner contacted them early Tuesday afternoon.
Police return emu found wandering southwestern Ontario roads to owner | Ontario

Remington1
Story for this tread, my nephew and his friend were on a road trip up north. Like young guys, they decided to drive through the night. Around 2am a small animal crossed the street and to avoid it, my nephew pulled sharply on the wheel and ended up in the ditch. They were both fine, but stunned and scarred. A few minutes later, the police were on the scene; they took the boys to the station, fed them, and had them call my brother. They slept a little, then the police took them to a rental car dealer and called my brother to let him know the guys were hitting the road. I realize the cops were doing their job, but that is the point, they did it and did it honorably. What would the guys have done without the cops? Good samaritan might have help them, but it's nice to know our police officers are there 24/7. Both guys have told me that the officers help had been a huge relief for them, and appreciated the fact that the cops were 'concern and decent guys'.

spaminator
Man praises cops for driving him to his family after sister killed, instead of jail on an outstanding warrant
Postmedia Network
First posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 04:38 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 04:54 PM EDT
A man with a suspended licence and an outstanding warrant caught speeding in Ohio was sure he was bound for jail instead of his mother’s Detroit home, where he was racing after hearing his sister had been killed in a car crash.
Instead, police took pity on Mark Ross. They impounded his car, but an officer drove him the final 160 km so he could be with his family.
Ross posted his story on Facebook .
“I knew I was going to jail due to a petty warrant,” he wrote. But Ohio State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Robison had other plans.
“I broke down crying and he saw the sincerity in my cry,” Ross wrote. “He reaches over and began praying over me and my family ... He offered to bring me 100 miles further to Detroit ... Everybody knows how much I dislike cops but I am truly grateful for this guy. He gave me hope.”
The pair will be reunited shortly. Sgt. Robison intends to go to Ross’s teen sister’s funeral.
Mark Ross, left, and Ohio State Highway Patrol Sgt. David Robison are pictured in this screengrab of Ross' Facebook post. (Mark E Ross/Facebook)

Man praises cops for driving him to his family after sister killed, instead of j

Walter
This teenager was walking for hours to and from work — until a police stop changed his life
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ike/?tid=sm_fb

Tecumsehsbones
Walter! Reading the Washington Post? Why, you little commie, you!

spaminator
Virginia police officer performs CPR to save 1-month-old baby’s life
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 05:25 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, October 17, 2016 05:32 PM EDT
CULPEPER, Va. — The actions of a police officer in Virginia saved the life of a 1-month-old baby girl.
Culpeper Police Department spokesman Jeff Dodson tells local media that Oct. 12, K-9 Officer David Cole responded to a call of an unconscious infant at a Culpeper home, about 35 miles southeast of Fredericksburg.
Cole arrived to find the baby unresponsive and not breathing. The baby’s father had already tried CPR without success.
Cole performed CPR on the baby and was able to successfully clear her airway. The infant immediately became responsive.
The baby was taken to a hospital for a full medical evaluation. Dodson says she was released a few hours later.
The following day, Cole stopped by the house to check on the infant and bring her a stuffed animal.
Virginia police officer performs CPR to save 1-month-old baby’s life | World | N

spaminator
Police save the (birth)day when no one shows to boy's party
Postmedia Network
First posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 02:31 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 02:41 PM EDT
When no one showed up to Westyn Ziegler's 7th birthday party, the Prince's Lakes Police Department stepped up to give the boy a day he'll never forget.
Fox News reports the Indiana boy had planned a police-themed party, but none of the 25 children he invited RSVP'd.
When Officer Jeremy Elliott, who had already agreed to give the boy a ride in his cruiser to top off the day, learned of this, he quickly decided to throw him a party at the town hall.
"Everyone should have a party for their 7th birthday," Elliott told Fox News . "We like to be involved in our community. It's not just about enforcing the law, we like to be there in the good times as well."
Elliott's co-workers at the police department worked together to gather decorations, pizza, cake and presents to surprise Ziegler, who Elliott drove to town hall in his cruiser after picking him up that morning. The department also made the birthday boy an honorary officer for the day.
"It's just beyond me to see all these police officers that my son loves, to celebrate him and celebrate with him," added the boy's mom, Kelly Ziegler.
When no one showed up to Westyn Ziegler's 7th birthday party, the Prince's Lakes Police Department stepped up to give the boy a day he'll never forget. (YouTube)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsn2Kl3CulA
Police save the (birth)day when no one shows to boy's party | World | News | Tor

spaminator
Footloose pig: 'Kevin Bacon' the pig caught by Halifax cops
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, November 03, 2016 08:52 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, November 03, 2016 04:28 PM EDT
HALIFAX — A wayward pig named Kevin Bacon has been safely returned to his owner, thanks to a couple of bemused police officers who found the portly animal waddling “footloose and fancy free” down a residential street.
Members of the Halifax force were called to an area around Russell Street in Dartmouth on Tuesday after people out for a walk came upon the potbellied pig and notified police.
Constables Nick Webber and Cody Schultz approached the happy looking animal as he munched grass on someone’s front lawn.
“He was lovely — he was very happy to see them and very friendly and wasn’t scared to see them,” said police spokeswoman, Const. Dianne Woodworth. “He’s adorable.”
When asked about the demeanor of the pig — named for the star of the 1980s movie Footloose — Woodworth chuckled and said, “I think he was just excited to be out front. You could say he was footloose and fancy free.”
She said Bacon was not in any danger and was following the rules of the road by staying on the sidewalk, adding that he hadn’t ventured far from his home after likely escaping from his backyard.
She said the officers didn’t have a hard time rounding him up, making the apprehension of Bacon likely a first for the force.
“We’ve had deer loose in the city and even a moose, but not a pig that I’m aware of,” she said with a laugh.
A picture posted on the force’s Facebook page showing one of the officers reaching out to the pig generated more than 1,200 likes and dozens of comments, including one from a woman who said, “Good thing they found Kevin before he became Chris P Bacon lol!”
Another said, “You guys literally live in the most bizarre city in Canada I swear.”
The pig was safely returned to its owner.
But the force clarified Thursday that a photo of the pig apparently peering out the rear window of a police vehicle was not Kevin Bacon, but a different errant pig.
Const. Cody Schultz lets pig Kevin Bacon smell his hand in this undated police handout image. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Halifax Regional Police)

Footloose pig: 'Kevin Bacon' the pig caught by Halifax cops | Canada | News | To

spaminator
Toronto Police Auxiliary Toy Drive kicks off
First posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 09:30 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, November 04, 2016 09:36 PM EDT
TORONTO - It is better to give than to receive.
That’s the lesson Santa Claus and the city’s top cop shared with kids at Maurice Cody Junior Public School on Friday as they kicked off the Toronto Police Auxiliary Toy Drive — an annual event launched 23 years ago.
“It was just auxiliary officers who were patrolling and finding out that these (families in) shelters didn’t have the same opportunities for Christmas as others,” Chief Mark Saunders said, after wading through a crowd of kids with Kris Kringle, high-fiving the excited youngsters in the Leaside-area school’s gym.
“On their own, they started this event,” he said. “And it has grown into this magnificent, huge event now.”
Each year since 1993, auxiliary officers from 41, 42 and 43 Divisions bring joy to those in need thanks to donations from area students, community members and businesses such as CIBC.
Saunders pointed out that more than 3,000 children receive gifts each year thanks to the effort.
“It’s a great cause, a worthy cause,” he said. “And it just speaks a lot to the character of the men and women of Toronto Police Service.”
New unwrapped toys for boys and girls of all ages, as well as cash donations, can be dropped off at 41 Division (2222 Eglinton Ave. E.), 42 Division (242 Milner Ave.) or 43 Division (4331 Lawrence Ave. E.).
cdoucette@postmedia.com

Toronto Police Auxiliary Toy Drive kicks off | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Su

spaminator
Mounties on babysitting duty at B.C. daycare after provider falls ill
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 07:21 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 10, 2016 07:32 PM EST
LANGFORD, B.C. — Some Mounties on Vancouver Island were put on Play-Doh duty this week after a daycare provider suffered a medical emergency and had to be taken to hospital.
Police say they were contacted by B.C. Ambulance after a Langford daycare provider called 911 and had to be transported to hospital as a precaution.
Three West Shore RCMP officers went to the daycare and provided “babysitting services” to the four young children there.
The officers looked after the tots — playing with balloons, singing songs and making French fries out of Play-Doh — until their parents could come and pick them up.
West Shore RCMP officers on Vancouver Island were put on babysitting duty this week after a daycare provider suffered a medical emergency and had to be taken to hospital. (Photo:West Shore RCMP)

Mounties on babysitting duty at B.C. daycare after provider falls ill | Canada |

spaminator
Police help 'armed' biker stage proposal to terrified girlfriend | World | News

spaminator
Cop does speeding college student a favour by tying necktie | World | News | Tor

spaminator
Pennsylvania man, 89, heads out to store, ends up in Alabama | World | News | To

spaminator
Police come to the rescue of Louis, a one-year-old puppy, from icy Gatineau Rive

spaminator
Video: York Regional Police read mean tweets | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Su

spaminator
Georgia cop dies after inhaling liquid nitrogen amid attempt to save sperm bank

spaminator
Durham Regional Police officer busts a move | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun