The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I was thinking an abnormal psychologist.

You can try to think what you want. However, I never said that WWII WAS about "our" freedom. Thanks for playing, but I think your mommy is calling.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You can try to think what you want. However, I never said that WWII WAS about "our" freedom. Thanks for playing, but I think your mommy is calling.

OK, I'll give you that you said "one might argue that WWII was about our freedom."

Assuming "one" is ignorant and not real bright.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

Which is why we call it Veterans Day.

Well, that and, to be honest, we don't see much good about the 1914-18 mess. We tend to see it as a family feud run by two sides that were so blindingly incompetent they beat themselves to a standstill and destroyed a continent, then when they were standing there staring at each other, too hurt and tired to throw a meaningful punch, we finally sighed and went over to wrap it up.

No, you call it Veterans Day because your Memorial Day is in May and originally commemorated the dead of the US Civil War.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

No, you call it Veterans Day because your Memorial Day is in May and originally commemorated the dead of the US Civil War.

Wrong, but thanks for playing. We called it Armistice Day originally. But then it turned out that the "war to end war" didn't, so commemorating just one in a long chain of European blunders didn't seem to make much sense. The idea to change it to honor all veterans arose in 1947 and was made Federal law in 1954.

Murphy
Conservative
That's true, but what I never understood was why Congress never approved "The Wyrding Way" aka "the Weirding Way". I puzzled over that for close to 15 years until I was researching a paper and found out that it had to do with jihad. Specifically, parsing and conjugation.

I had.
Ji had.
They had.

My epiphany was almost instantaneous (which really means it WASN'T instantaneous.) You couldn't conjugate an Arab, just blow him up. No conjugation needed.

BOOM!

Sorry. We now return you to our regularly scheduled debate, already to progress.
---

...as it was with Armistice Day! Okay?

It was just an observation. Chill.

Tecumsehsbones
The sad part is that was the most sensible comment in the thread.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Hehehe... Chief of a volunteer department isn't much of a horn to blow... it really only matters to people like Petros, who have a uniform fetish.
Anywho...got to carry the NATO flag which was a particular honour for me. Now that Trump is Prez, that might be last time anybody will carry that flag in our service.
Oh, I almost forgot... only one person said to me "you don't have your poppy on". I said, "yes, I know". There was no riot and I won't be on the national news.

Chief bottle sorter...

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Trumpite so triggered

petros
+1
Not in the least, sorry to upset you. Bend over honey buns.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+6
#100  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I bet if they had it to do again they might choose some other way of effecting change.

I've heard more than 1 veteran refer to combat as a million dollar experience that they wouldn't do again for $2 million.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

i don't wear one because excepting the guys who did the trenches and foxholes the rest of us remember nothing but what's been spooned into us about a mountain of dead and thier good deeds. You remember nothing, you weren't there. You repeat the bankers limp regret annually. Making it certain that you will offer up your children to the fire of war. Wake up shjthead.

i don't remember any of them.

And neither do you.

and niether do you.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I personally don't give a fukk about the poppy, but thought this was an interesting viewpoint.

The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance

The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance | JOE.co.uk

I don't see any reason to denigrate the poppy or those who have regard for it. It originated as a symbol for the horrendous loss suffered in W.W.1 and continued on to W.W.2. and the wars since. It reminds us of the bravery and in some cases the losses suffered for what we hold so dear today. Lay off the poppy and those who hold it in high regard! It's a little presumptuous to speculate on what we do or don't remember!
Last edited by JLM; Nov 7th, 2019 at 10:42 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I just got to thinking today (Remembrance Day) is a good day to get away from "wrestling" with all the idiots of the world and focus more on the people who made sacrifices for all we enjoy today.
(Is that more satisfactory, Walter?)

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I just got to thinking today (Remembrance Day) is a good day to get away from "wrestling" with all the idiots of the world and focus more on the people who made sacrifices for all we enjoy today.
(Is that more satisfactory, Walter?)

Oh, Walter hasn't made any sacrifices.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

He lives in a country that allows darkies. That’s a scrifice in Wally’s mind

darkbeaver
Republican
The present remembers little of the past no matter how hopeful we paint it. I don,t remember that war and your little plastic red things stirs no memory whatever in me. I remember the scrap yard just down from my house in the early sixtys full of limey helmits and lee enfield 303,s torched accross the breech. Three might get you one, gas masks and WWII uniforms, when I was little the Dartmouth shipyard had a WWII German submarine on the slip for months. They used to frequent that harbour and its approaches during WWII.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1

OK, I'll give you that you said "one might argue that WWII was about our freedom."

Assuming "one" is ignorant and not real bright.

Freedom, hahahahah, nothing is free here ever, you work or you die.

darkbeaver
Republican

Which is why we call it Veterans Day.

Well, that and, to be honest, we don't see much good about the 1914-18 mess. We tend to see it as a family feud run by two sides that were so blindingly incompetent they beat themselves to a standstill and destroyed a continent, then when they were standing there staring at each other, too hurt and tired to throw a meaningful punch, we finally sighed and went over to wrap it up.

Of course your industry made that possible when the native gun fodder made the outcome less productive for the investors, American coin prolonged the carnage and destroyed the promise of the German Ages.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Are you positive he didn't buy a poppy?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Freedom, hahahahah, nothing is free here ever, you work or you die.

So you figure the world owes you a living?

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

So you figure the world owes you a living?

This world owes me nothing. Like I said you work or you die. How you figured I said anything different defies my imagination, at least.

Very pleasant to correspond with you again. Thank you for the interest.