The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance

petros
Chief janitor still doesn't do it.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Chief janitor still doesn't do it.

Hehehe

Gotta run.... gotta go carry a flag in my uniform

petros
A broom isn't a flag.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

You're just jealous because I have a uniform and a medal

Yup blowing your own horn , very silly of you , are you sure you are not a dumbocrat like Mentalfloss .

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
It's funny the same "crowd" that feels oppressed because no one is holding a gun to their head for not wearing a poppy are probably the same ones who believe everything they read on facebook

mentalfloss

The poppy is as grassroots as it gets.

https://www.google.com/m/search?pz=1...EBCAnJbg_1:201

Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

It's funny the same "crowd" that feels oppressed because no one is holding a gun to their head for not wearing a poppy are probably the same ones who believe everything they read on facebook

It's funny that you would expect anyone to believe you are omniscient.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

What am to I find for media persecution?

Air Canada staff getting pissed when told not to wear one or scumbags stealing donation boxes?

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation

Compared to who? You?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yup blowing your own horn , very silly of you , are you sure you are not a dumbocrat like Mentalfloss .

Hehehe... Chief of a volunteer department isn't much of a horn to blow... it really only matters to people like Petros, who have a uniform fetish.

Anywho...got to carry the NATO flag which was a particular honour for me. Now that Trump is Prez, that might be last time anybody will carry that flag in our service.

Oh, I almost forgot... only one person said to me "you don't have your poppy on". I said, "yes, I know". There was no riot and I won't be on the national news.

Mowich
Conservative

mentalfloss
Lester Forgot

Murphy
Conservative
+1
For those that are interested, the poppy fund is used to help support veterans and is initiated by local Legions. It is not a political issue. You can read about it here.

Use of Poppy Funds | The Royal Canadian Legion

There is a manual that describes the purpose, the dos and donts of the fund, who controls what, etc. You can read about it here.

http://www.legion.ca/wp-content/uplo...July2016_2.pdf

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation

Lester Forgot

Hey have you figured out the difference between a statement and a command yet?

Can you name the people specifically who are causing you to be salty because they are forcing you to wear a poppy?

I want to help you, bro.

mentalfloss
It's the liberal media.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation

It's the liberal media.

No seriously bro. Let me help you out, i'm here for you.

Id be scared too man like they might Mccain you

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Yes, but it's more.

I often tell people that while the idea of using November 11th was decided many years ago, Remembrance Day isn't something that is frozen in time. Remembrance Day isn't just about WWI. It's about all the wars where men fought and died. When subsequent conflicts came along, names got added to the cenotaphs.

I'm thinking about Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, others.

Average age of WWW2 vets is around 92. It is often said generals fight a war using tactics from the previous. They looked at the US Civil War/Franco-Prussian.
Charging machine guns in a lines many deep to gain a few yards. Such a needless waste.
If someone does not wish to wear a Poppy, their choice.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Because it's a Legion campaign. I stopped supporting the Legion after the turban issue.

Sikhs went into battle with no helmet,and the Legion was wrong to discriminate against them.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Sikhs went into battle with no helmet,and the Legion was wrong to discriminate against them.

My father served with Sihk (and Ghurka) soldiers shen ge was in Kogala, Ceylon for three and. half years.

He remarked on several occasions how tough and competent they were as soldiers and he considered them as the backbone of their defences, not the British imperial soldiers.

Lester Forgot

... and Pierre Elliot had nothing but contempt. T-Jean turned that into outright hatred.

JamesBondo
+1

They're forcing us to be politically correct about war.

Down with them.

I dont expect a dumbass troll to understand...you don't "give a **** about the poppy"...those are your words.

For all others, here is a pretty excellent poem about it:
Quote:

“Please wear a Poppy”, the lady said and held one forth, but I shook my head, Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there, And her face was old and lined with care; But beneath the scars the years had made There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street, Bouncing along on carefree feet, His smile was full of joy and fun: “Lady”, said he, “May I have one”? When she pinned it on he turned to say, “Why do we wear a poppy today”?
The lady smiled in her wistful way, And answered, “This is Remembrance Day, And the poppy there is a symbol for The gallant men who died in war, And because they did, you and I are free, That’s why we wear the poppy, you see”.

I had a boy about your size, With golden hair and big blue eyes. He loved to play and jump and shout, Free as a bird he would race about. As the years went by he learned and grew, And became a man – as you will, too.

But the war went on and he had to stay, And all I could do was wait and pray. His letters told of the awful fight, (I can see it still in my dreams at night) With the tanks and guns and cruel barbed wire, and the mines and bullets, the bombs and fire.

“Till at last, at last, the war was won – And that’s why we wear a poppy, son.” The small boy turned as if to go, Then said, “Thanks lady, I’m glad to know, That sure did sound like an awful fight, But your son – did he come back all right?”

A tear rolled down each faded cheek: She shook her head but didn’t speak. I slunk away in a sort of shame, And if you were me you’d have done the same: For our thanks, in giving, is often delayed Through our freedom was bought And thousands paid.

And so when we see a poppy worn, Let us reflect on the burden borne, By those who gave their very all, When asked to answer their country’s call. That we at home in peace might live.

Then wear a poppy, Remember And give. Don Crawford

Murphy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Hey, I like the Hi-Power! Beats the crap outta that Italian POS we had.

But as fond as I am of the good ol' guns, I have to admit, the Glock is a dream. I have a Glock 24, .40 cal, six-inch, that just don't miss.

I am partial to Glocks because of the flat top. It is a more natural sight plane. Easier to acquire your target. I don't own any autoloading handguns anymore though. Revolvers, lever rifles in pistol cals and single shots tickle my fancy these days.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Forcing people to wear the poppy is there most egregious act of political correctness that can possibly exist.

Who was forced to wear one? Sounds like a little catastrophizing to me!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I am partial to Glocks because of the flat top. It is a more natural sight plane. Easier to acquire your target. I don't own any autoloading handguns anymore though. Revolvers, lever rifles in pistol cals and single shots tickle my fancy these days.

You are totally right about the Glock, and I sure ain't gonna hold the rest against you. As I said, I own some of the new guns, but I like the old guns because they assumed the shooter would be taking good, aimed shots.

My baby is a 1916 Lee-Enfield .303. But my new baby, which I'll be getting next week, is a BAR.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

My baby is a 1916 Lee-Enfield .303.

Imagine marching back and forth for hundreds of miles through the mud of Flanders with one of those slung over your shoulders. They made our FNs seem like light-weight weapons.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Imagine marching back and forth for hundreds of miles through the mud of Flanders with one of those slung over your shoulders. They made our FNs seem like light-weight weapons.

I don't march. I was Air Force.

I did once severely break a fingernail pushing a button. The Purple Heart made me feel better, though.

taxslave
Free Thinker

The media? Do they write tickets or indict?

The media dictate what leftys think, do, and say. All must be vetted to ensure it fits the groupthink.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The media dictate what leftys think, do, and say. All must be vetted to ensure it fits the groupthink.

And only part of the media (Fox, Breitbart, and Stormfront) dictates what tighty-whitie-righties think. If you can really use the term "think."

Murphy
Conservative
I like vetting. Check this out. And it is consistent with the Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day theme.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1m0eC1004

gerryh
Ah yes, Vietnam, millions dead so that we could live free...... oh, wait, the u.s. lost and we're still free. I guess that one wasn't about protecting our freedom. Well, there was the Korean war, nope, that one was a stalemate, no difference in freedom. Granada..... oh don't make me laugh.... middle east..... only freedoms lost so far are those that our own governments have taken away.

One "might" be able to argue that WWII protected our freedom, I know WWI definitely didn't. It had nothing to do with freedom. But it was the "War to end all wars", one of the biggest lies ever told.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Ah yes, Vietnam, millions dead so that we could live free...... oh, wait, the u.s. lost and we're still free. I guess that one wasn't about protecting our freedom. Well, there was the Korean war, nope, that one was a stalemate, no difference in freedom. Granada..... oh don't make me laugh.... middle east..... only freedoms lost so far are those that our own governments have taken away.

One "might" be able to argue that WWII protected our freedom, I know WWI definitely didn't. It had nothing to do with freedom. But it was the "War to end all wars", one of the biggest lies ever told.

Wrong, but thanks for playing. None of the enemies in WWII presented an existential threat to the U.S. The only war for our freedom and existence we have "fought" since 1865 was the Cold War.

gerryh
+1

Wrong, but thanks for playing. None of the enemies in WWII presented an existential threat to the U.S. The only war for our freedom and existence we have "fought" since 1865 was the Cold War.

I see you have comprehension problems. I feel sorry for your "clients". Maybe have a law student explain what I wrote.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I see you have comprehension problems. I feel sorry for your "clients". Maybe have a law student explain what I wrote.

I was thinking an abnormal psychologist.