The sanctimonious poppy police should perhaps spend more time in quiet remembrance

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

They're forcing us to be politically correct about war.

Down with them.

The poppy is as grassroots as it gets.

Go yell at a building.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Take photos.

Why, do you have a uniform fetish?

petros
+1
Yes. Yes I do. Take photos.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

I get you a pick. I'll even wear my medal

petros
Socks too?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Why, do you have a uniform fetish?

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/me...111-072045.jpg

Try to hit the monitor. Eaglesmack says jizz is tough to get off the keyboard.

Socks too?

Nope. It's fall. The fashionable summer socks the crusty old farts love to hate have been put away til spring

petros
How sweet.

Thanks

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

I don't wear one because excepting the guys who did the trenches and foxholes the rest of us remember nothing but what's been spooned into us about a mountain of dead and thier good deeds. You remember nothing, you weren't there. You repeat the bankers limp regret annually. Making it certain that you will offer up your children to the fire of war. Wake up shjthead.

I don't remember any of them.

And neither do you.

And niether do you.

The list is incomplete, Canada lost 60,000!

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

How sweet.

Thanks

You are very welcome. Hopefully I can have one taken at the service for you. There's lots of uniforms there. But my last name isn't Trudeau so snapping a selfie in the middle isn't something I would do

petros
+1
Australians are missing too.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

The poppy is as grassroots as it gets.

Fields of Poppies were what John McCrae was looking at when he wrote his famous poem in Belgium!

Remington1
+2
I wear a poppy every year. It's a symbol that one chooses to follow or not, for me, I do it for respect and knowing that the money raised goes toward veteran programs.

petros
+1

You are very welcome. Hopefully I can have one taken at the service for you. There's lots of uniforms there. But my last name isn't Trudeau so snapping a selfie in the middle isn't something I would do

Don't forget to leave your poppy at the foot of the cemotaph at the end of the ceremony.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Don't forget to leave your poppy at the foot of the cemotaph at the end of the ceremony.

Don't have a poppy, sorry.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1 View Post

I wear a poppy every year. It's a symbol that one chooses to follow or not, for me, I do it for respect and knowing that the money raised goes toward veteran programs.

Yep, why anyone would denigrate the poppy beats me!

Blackleaf
POPPY PUPPET ROW BBC accused of ‘trivialising sacrifice of millions’ after pinning poppy on COOKIE MONSTER during One Show appearance

By Emma Lake
8th November 2016
The Sun

AN EDUCATION campaigner has accused the BBC of “trivialising” the sacrifice of millions of soldiers after the Cookie Monster appeared on The One Show wearing a poppy.

Chris McGovern, chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, called the decision “disgraceful” but the Royal British Legion jumped to the broadcaster's defence saying it is grateful for every poppy worn.

The Cookie Monster appeared on the One Show last night alongside Chris Tarrant

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/214135...ow-appearance/

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Fields of Poppies were what John McCrae was looking at when he wrote his famous poem in Belgium!

Yup which inspired an American woman to wear a silk one every year, a French woman then started a tradition of selling poppies for veteran charities and it was adopted by the Brit and Commonwealth.

Don't have a poppy, sorry.

Someone will pin one on you. Will you try to tell them no?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Yep, why anyone would denigrate the poppy beats me!

Because it's a Legion campaign. I stopped supporting the Legion after the turban issue. Besides, the government should look after veterans. Buying a poppy indirectly allows the government to abdicate its responsibilities

Yup which inspired an American woman to wear a silk one every year, a French woman then started a tradition of selling poppies for veteran charities and it was adopted by the Brit and Commonwealth.

Someone will pin one on you. Will you try to tell them no?

They are well aware of my outspoken opinion on the matter so nobody will try and pin onw on me.
Last edited by Cannuck; Nov 11th, 2016 at 10:04 AM..

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Actually I have never noticed this. I always buy a poppy, but find that it usually falls off within five minutes due to its cheap pin. I feel no pressure at all to wear one; after all I could give a detailed lecture on Canada's history regarding the various wars in which it has participated; particularly the two world Wars.

Tell us about the Boer war , please .

petros

Because it's a Legion campaign. I stopped supporting the Legion after the turban issue. Besides, the government should look after veterans. Buying a poppy indirectly allows the government to abdicate its responsibilities

They are well aware of my outspoken opinion on the matter so nobody will try and pin onw on me.

They who? Why would "they" want you there if you were opposed?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

They who? Why would "they" want you there if you were opposed?

Because the locals respect my opinions, beliefs and right to free speech. I understand that's something you have a problem with but thankfully, you're a minority in this country.

DaSleeper
+2

Because the locals respect my opinions, beliefs and right to free speech. I understand that's something you have a problem with but thankfully, you're a minority in this country.

petros

You'd say No Thanks to a someone awarded the Silver Cross?

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Indeed

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Some people think throwing a loonie in a box and slapping a poppy on their chest is "supporting veterans". My support is far more substantial and the locals realize that.

petros
+1
More BS.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
You're just jealous because I have a uniform and a medal

petros
+1
Oh yeah, I'm super jealous of janitor uniforms. You got me there.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Oh yeah, I'm super jealous of janitor uniforms. You got me there.

You can always print off the pic, enlarge it to poster size and hang it in your room. I give you permission. It's better than taking your fetish out in public and humping legs

petros
Janitors do nothing to float my boat.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Oh dear! Ive insulted you again.

(pssst... notice the Chief epaulets... focusing on those can help)