Shocking pictures which show tearful children forced to fight against their will


Blackleaf
#1
Many people in other countries have remarked how the British just don't seem to like children. A recent article in Time magazine about the treatments of children in Britain also mentions this.

And it seems that these suspicions are right.

Centuries ago, the British used to make cocks, or dogs, or bears fight each other for entertainments. But with all those things now illegal, instead it seems the British are now making CHILDREN fight each other for "sport."

Many public arenas around the country now have young children, often in tears, made to fight each other against their will whilst a crowd looks on....

Shocking pictures which show tearful five-year-olds forced to fight in kickboxing contests

By BETH HALE
20th April 2008
Daily Mail


A blonde-haired girl with her hands strapped into boxing gloves sobs at the side of the ring.

In another image her twin brother takes a direct hit to the face from a sparring partner.

Miah and Kian Flanagan are just five years old.

But already they are seasoned fighters, taking part in an alarmingly fast-growing 'sport' that pits children against other children in the terrifying public arena of the boxing ring.


Five-year-old Miah's face crumples in tears as she fights in the ring


The opponents - some of them barely old enough to be at school - kick and punch in chilling scenes, while parents shout impassioned advice from the sidelines.

Incredibly parental 'advice' includes encouragement to "come on Princess, go forward, kick 'em, kick 'em."

Welcome to the world of child Thai boxing, one of the fastest growing martial arts in the UK with now over 500 registered clubs teaching this sport.

Children as young as four or five are becoming the latest recruits to organised fighting, where some people's attitude is: "If you're good enough to fight, you're old enough".

The chilling snapshot into a pastime that is legal is laid bare on a Cutting Edge documentary to be shown on Channel 4 later this week.


'Just enjoy yourself, baby' shouts her father as little Miah sobs


In the strictly governed world of conventional boxing youngsters must be at least 11 to compete.

But in MuayThai boxing there is no such limit. There is also no requirement for protective headgear, despite regular blows to the skull.

Parents have to sign a disclaimer before a fight, relieving promoters of any blame should their children be injured as they compete - sometimes in front of paying adult audiences.

Miah and Kian Flanagan live with their father Darren, a quantity surveyor, and mother Lisa, a nail technician, in Wigan.

The twins were enrolled in boxing lessons at their local gym seven months ago. Mr Flanagan is so passionate about the sport that he has converted the spare room into a gym so he can give the twins extra tuition.

Mr Flanagan believes that the training will help his daughter take care of herself.

"If someone grabs Miah when she's 15 what do you think is going to happen? She knows all the defence moves," he said.

"If I'd never taught my kids Thai boxing how guilty would I feel. Anyway Miah loves it - she's like a ballet dancer with boxing gloves at the moment," he told the the News of the World.

But footage from the programme shows that Miah often cries before going into the ring and her Dad instructing "Come on baby just enjoy yourself" before later ordering her "stop this now".

"Every time she goes in that ring, there is always a worry she will start crying," said Mr Flanagan, who says he has told his daughter she can give up if she does not enjoy it.


Children as young as five are forced to fight each other in the ring as their parents look on


Such is his determination for his children to succeed that he even alters her diet to 'bulk' her up if she faces an older opponent.

Meanwhile his wife coats her daughter with glittery make-up and hairspray before she enters the rings.

Another child featured is Thai Barlow, already a veteran fighter at 10 and named after his parents burning passion for Thai boxing.

His dad Mark is his trainer who runs his own gym and mother Maxine was herself a successful fighter. Both Thai and his 14-year-old sister, a double world champion, have followed their parents' love of the sport.

On top of school and homework, a normal week for Thai consists of running over 15 km, doing 400 sit ups, and at least 10 hours on the bags and sparring.

Mr Barlow will travel anywhere in the world, forking out thousands of pounds to get his son fight experience.

"My dream and his mum's dream is for him to win a stadium title," he said. "I don't know what his dream is… probably to play with his soldiers."

On March 28 Thai took part in his first cage brawl, fighting inside a 23ft metal cage in front of a huge crowd paying 335 a ticket.

His opponent was nine-year-old Connor Butler, from East London. Both were shouted on by their parents, but Thai eventually lost for only the third time in 59 fights.

Despite his youth, his victories apparently include two knockouts.

Today Conservative shadow minister for Sport and the Olympics Hugh Robertson, said he was alarmed by the fight scenes described.

"If children are so upset by the prospect of doing any sport that they burst into tears before they do it then I don't think they should be forced to take part.

"While I support martial arts and boxing as sport I don't think they are sports for children below the age of seven."

Cutting Edge: Strictly Baby Fight Club is on Channel 4 on Thursday at 9pm

dailymail.co.uk
 
shadowshiv
#2
If this is a legit article, then the parents need to have their heads examined. There is no reason at all for a five year old to be in a fight like that.
 
karrie
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

If this is a legit article, then the parents need to have their heads examined. There is no reason at all for a five year old to be in a fight like that.

It's not a far cry from some of the hockey parents I've seen, or the injuries that can result from being pushed into hockey.
 
shadowshiv
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

It's not a far cry from some of the hockey parents I've seen, or the injuries that can result from being pushed into hockey.

Yes, but the general nature of hockey by itself is not to go out and injure "the opponent". I think there is a big difference between youngers playing hockey and this "sport".

While I do agree with you that often the youngsters have no choice but to play as the parents want to relive their lost youth through their kids, I do think that this "fight club" is far worse in the long run. There needs to be a minimum age before one is allowed to fight, and five is definately too young.
 
Dixie Cup
#5
If this is true, it's unbelievable!! These are "parents" they're tyrants and bullies. And we want to know why our kids are so bad?? No words can express my distain!
 
Zzarchov
#6
Personally I see this being thrown into an intentionally bad light, the journalism seems pretty heavily biased from the get go.

That doesn't mean its not bad, but the journalistic style means all integrity is lost from the get go.

Hopefully the special is better done.

If you report something in a fair and balanced way, and its a bad thing..it will appear that way on its own. When you go out of your way to demonize it, you lose all credibility to make a claim, and lets face it..did you really need to go out of your way to demonize five year olds punching each other for money?

Im no fan of making kids pacifists..but thats a sport that takes skill and I don't think five years olds are , as a sweeping generalization, intelligent enough to handle the risk. I wouldn't let them be involved in Skeet shooting or Nascar racing either.
 
karrie
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Personally I see this being thrown into an intentionally bad light, the journalism seems pretty heavily biased from the get go.

What struck me is there is only one kid pictured in tears, and I've seen the same thing happen in gymnastics, band, hockey, choir, school plays, and any other event that suddenly puts kids up in front of a room full of strangers. Is it because she was scared of figthing? Or because she was freaked out by the crowd come to watch? I didn't see any balance in the story in that respect either.
 
Praxius
#8
I've seen kids around the same age playing around in Karate, boxing and the sort, along with the parents that come with the sport... nothing new. It can be football, hockey, kick boxing, or anything else.... anytime the kid is fearful of getting hurt, they're gonna cry. What about kids who cry when a baseball is coming at them? Nobody's trying to hurt them on purpose, yet they still cry.

I imagine if I ever got a shot of a kid getting hit by a baseball and crying the whole time, I can make baseball parents look evil too.

Seeing a parent freak out on their kid at a sporting event was common practice when I was growing up, now we see another alternative of this kind of sports attitude and now we're all crying foul. Where does one draw the line?

Apparently at Kick boxing.
 
Walter
#9
I've noticed the worst parents are those with kids.
 
shadowshiv
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Where does one draw the line?

Apparently at Kick boxing.

For sure, when the child is only five years old. They should just be allowed to be kids at that age, as they seem to grow up too fast as it is.
 
Scott Free
#11
What a freakin' hysterical post! Seriously, it made me ROFL!!

I have seen a lot of spin before but this takes the real prize. Imagine what they could do with pictures of "princess" crying because she doesn't want to go to ballet or "junior" crying because he doesn't like trumpet lessons.

The whole purpose of parenting is to teach children the skills they will need to survive in the world. Certainly athleticism and self-defense are such skills. These children aren't being hurt they are learning self confidence and how to defend themselves!

Codling and wrapping children in bubble wrap isn't what made any of our countries great.

I suppose to Canadians and our safety square- Hitler no smoking society, any bit of reality can look shocking LMAO...

My only solace in all this is that our perverse culture can't continue much longer. Eventually the barbarians will force our walls to crumble and at the rate we're going it can't be soon enough!
I don't want nor want my child living in a nation of pantie wastes!!!!

Unbelievable! We should just pack every child in Styrofoam and sit them on a shelf.
 
Colpy
#12
If these kids were dogs, all Great Britain would be in an uproar, and people would go to jail for a long time.........and dogs WANT to fight.

'nuff said.
 
Colpy
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

What a freakin' hysterical post! Seriously, it made me ROFL!!

I have seen a lot of spin before but this takes the real prize. Imagine what they could do with pictures of "princess" crying because she doesn't want to go to ballet or "junior" crying because he doesn't like trumpet lessons.

The whole purpose of parenting is to teach children the skills they will need to survive in the world. Certainly athleticism and self-defense are such skills. These children aren't being hurt they are learning self confidence and how to defend themselves!

Codling and wrapping children in bubble wrap isn't what made any of our countries great.

I suppose to Canadians and our safety square- Hitler no smoking society, any bit of reality can look shocking LMAO...

My only solace in all this is that our perverse culture can't continue much longer. Eventually the barbarians will force our walls to crumble and at the rate we're going it can't be soon enough!
I don't want nor want my child living in a nation of pantie wastes!!!!

Unbelievable! We should just pack every child in Styrofoam and sit them on a shelf.


I sure never packed my kids in styrofoam, and would gladly have sent them to martial arts lessons if they had wanted to go.

In fact, I personally trained them in the ancient and honourable American
martial art of shu-ting.



This is something quite different.....parents treating their kids as if they were fighting cocks....outrageous!
 
Scott Free
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

If these kids were dogs, all Great Britain would be in an uproar, and people would go to jail for a long time.........and dogs WANT to fight.

'nuff said.

That is because dogs fight to the death...

Children where gloves and helmets
 
Scott Free
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

I sure never packed my kids in styrofoam, and would gladly have sent them to martial arts lessons if they had wanted to go.

In fact, I personally trained them in the ancient and honourable American
martial art of shu-ting.



This is something quite different.....parents treating their kids as if they were fighting cocks....outrageous!

I think it's outrageous that people want to watch. I agree wholeheartedly.

Obviously there are some twisted f**k's out there but there is nothing wrong with letting children spar. That's the real issue... why are people watching this?
 
karrie
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

These children aren't being hurt they are learning self confidence and how to defend themselves!

" Despite [Thai's] youth, his victories apparently include two knockouts. "
 
Scott Free
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

" Despite [Thai's] youth, his victories apparently include two knockouts. "

And we all know in a real fight, just like in real life, no one ever gets hurt

We're back to bubble wrap then huh?

I wonder how many kids a year get knocked out by baseballs or by other sports?
 
karrie
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

And we all know in a real fight, just like in real life, no one ever gets hurt

We're back to bubble wrap then huh?

have you read my posts in the subject before bothering to respond to just one?
 
Scott Free
#19
IMO the OP is an attempt to create double think; where it invokes an emotional response by creating an impression (pictures of crying kids and parallels with animals tearing each other apart) then concludes wrongly that this isn't a sport just as dangerous as any other - after all animals die when they fight! And look: those children are crying!

The double think is then that we can hold this kind of sport (fighting - even the name is horrific) is bad without questioning whether other sports are good or even necessary!?! We hold this idea because we have now associated kick boxing with animals tearing each other to pieces and little blond girls crying. We come to this perception not because we have seen any of this stuff personally but because we have seen a specific presentation of it.

So we have now the moral bases to make firm concrete "gut reaction" conclusions about certain sports without ever having experienced a thing.

This is unauthentic experience and it plagues our society like a cancer. It creates people with very strong emotional responses completely unfounded on anything they have encountered personally and bereft of real fact though they would argue differently or are unaware that their opinions are completely vacant of experience!

I have noticed a trend as science is increasingly politicized, which seems to be an accelerating trend, that opinions are also mostly vacant of real fact too!
 
Scott Free
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

have you read my posts in the subject before bothering to respond to just one?

To a certain extent I think there is a need for some bubble warp: baseball and heart attacks.

Certainly if children are regularly knocked out or injured in a sport there should be a better examination of their safety gear.
 
karrie
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

Certainly if children are regularly knocked out or injured in a sport there should be a better examination of their safety gear.

You'd think that when so many sports use head gear (boxing, wrestling and other martial arts) for young adults, let alone children, that these guys would have basic padding for developing brains.
 
Scott Free
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

You'd think that when so many sports use head gear (boxing, wrestling and other martial arts) for young adults, let alone children, that these guys would have basic padding for developing brains.

I agree. It is scary to think some of these kids might be getting permanent brain damage.
 

Similar Threads

119
Adopted Children Forced Into Gay Lifestyle
by Liberalman | May 2nd, 2007
1
Pictures show gun horror on the Tube
by Blackleaf | Feb 23rd, 2007
5
Shocking pictures from Nunavut
by HTO | Oct 28th, 2005