Our Human Rights Commision???


Just the Facts
Free Thinker
#1
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...Mindcrime&only


Good to know our money is being well spent defending our right to be censored by people who don't like what we have to say.

Thank goodness for people with Cajones like Ezra Levant. This inquiry should not be happening, it's an obvious abuse of process.
 
eh huh
#2
Nothing new going on here, remember what happened to Ernst Zundel.

We know history is rewritten everyday, but is there any other piece of history you can go to jail for just by merely questioning it? Seriously, I can't think of one. Why?
 
Niflmir
Free Thinker
#3
Yes, I remember: Ernst Zundel was released because that particular law was deemed unconstitutional.

We happen to have a constitutionally more sound legislation forbidding hate propaganda. The Human Rights Commission is probably trying to figure out what his intentions were in publishing those comics in Canada, because giving the timing, any idiot should have seen it was time for subtlety and not a hammer. If he published it with the intent of stirring up hatred for a culture, or knowing that was the likely result, then he could be tried under hate propaganda laws even though the comics themselves are not necessarily hate propaganda. The medium and the message are two different things, and like the message of speech makes death threats illegal so too can Levant's ultimate meaning make his actions illegal. It is not that we don't like certain messages: certain messages are dangerous and do nothing for truth and the pursuit of happiness.

Or have we already forgotten the past?
 
CDNBear
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Yes, I remember: Ernst Zundel was released because that particular law was deemed unconstitutional.

We happen to have a constitutionally more sound legislation forbidding hate propaganda. The Human Rights Commission is probably trying to figure out what his intentions were in publishing those comics in Canada, because giving the timing, any idiot should have seen it was time for subtlety and not a hammer. If he published it with the intent of stirring up hatred for a culture, or knowing that was the likely result, then he could be tried under hate propaganda laws even though the comics themselves are not necessarily hate propaganda. The medium and the message are two different things, and like the message of speech makes death threats illegal so too can Levant's ultimate meaning make his actions illegal. It is not that we don't like certain messages: certain messages are dangerous and do nothing for truth and the pursuit of happiness.

Or have we already forgotten the past?

Thanx for clearing that up...I thought they were supposed to address serious breaches of the Human Right Laws, not the imagined mechanisations of ones thoughts.

Why didn't they just call themselves the thought cops instead of hiding behind the misleading title of HRC?
Last edited by CDNBear; Jan 13th, 2008 at 07:58 AM..
 
Colpy
Conservative
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Yes, I remember: Ernst Zundel was released because that particular law was deemed unconstitutional.

We happen to have a constitutionally more sound legislation forbidding hate propaganda. The Human Rights Commission is probably trying to figure out what his intentions were in publishing those comics in Canada, because giving the timing, any idiot should have seen it was time for subtlety and not a hammer. If he published it with the intent of stirring up hatred for a culture, or knowing that was the likely result, then he could be tried under hate propaganda laws even though the comics themselves are not necessarily hate propaganda. The medium and the message are two different things, and like the message of speech makes death threats illegal so too can Levant's ultimate meaning make his actions illegal. It is not that we don't like certain messages: certain messages are dangerous and do nothing for truth and the pursuit of happiness.

Or have we already forgotten the past?

You have carefully and fully revealed all the reasons that hate crime legislation is a assault on human freedom, a repudiation of English common law,a gigantic step backward......

When someone, in this case radical Islam, is trying to create a climate of fear, when they are using intimidation, when they threaten violence, when people in the world are being killed over a CARTOON, when cartoonists for God's sake, have to seek protection....that is EXACTLY the time you need a hammer.........you need somebody with the BALLS to print not only the cartoons in question, but new cartoons intended not only to illustrate, but DESIGNED to offend those who would suppress freedom.............Mohammed pissing on a cowardly, cowering west.......or Mohammed being pissed upon by Ezra Levant....

God, have we COMPLETELY lost the will to defend our values, our civilization from these idiotic barbarians?
 
CDNBear
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

You have carefully and fully revealed all the reasons that hate crime legislation is a assault on human freedom, a repudiation of English common law,a gigantic step backward......

When someone, in this case radical Islam, is trying to create a climate of fear, when they are using intimidation, when they threaten violence, when people in the world are being killed over a CARTOON, when cartoonists for God's sake, have to seek protection....that is EXACTLY the time you need a hammer.........you need somebody with the BALLS to print not only the cartoons in question, but new cartoons intended not only to illustrate, but DESIGNED to offend those who would suppress freedom.............Mohammed pissing on a cowardly, cowering west.......or Mohammed being pissed upon by Ezra Levant....

God, have we COMPLETELY lost the will to defend our values, our civilization from these idiotic barbarians?

Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated until the card...post has been varified...

...

...

Yes we have a winner...

BINGO!!!
 
dirtylinder
#7
A true waste on tax payers $.......do we really need the HRC? Perhaps the complainant should take the publisher to Judge Judy's court room, she'll sort it out. The HRC is a waste!
 
Just the Facts
Free Thinker
#8
Pat Condell tells it like it is:

http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatc...ves/019662.php
 
CDNBear
#9
I like how the CCLA;s attorney's put it...

Quote:

"The remedy for this kind of speech is more speech, not enforced silence" Lokan and Browne argued.

Freedom of speech, it ain't just for the left anymore.
 
Pangloss
#10
Wow - just what the hell is the HRC doing? What a stupid procedure, what a wonderful attack by Ezra Levant. BTW, I hated the Western Standard, and I almost always disagree with Levant, but here he is exactly right.

This sort of stupidity ought to get the HRC disbanded. And the Minister responsible should resign.

Pangloss
 
Pangloss
#11
CDN Bear:

I'm a pretty hard leftie, and I've always maintained that free speech is absolute (except for the "fire in a theatre" variety) for everyone.

The Lokan and Browne quote is exactly right.

So much for baiting the left.

Pangloss
 
CDNBear
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post

CDN Bear:

I'm a pretty hard leftie, and I've always maintained that free speech is absolute (except for the "fire in a theatre" variety) for everyone.

The Lokan and Browne quote is exactly right.

So much for baiting the left.

Pangloss

I actually wasn't baiting persay, but then again, I don't consider you an extreme left wingnut.

We need the checks and balances of right vs. left, but what we don't need, is the left or the right using an institution as weapon to censor speech.

And as unfortunet as it maybe, I see the left of the line, using institutions such as the HRC as a weapon, more so then the right. You see the right usurping free speech when they try to stifle ideologies that do not conform to what they see as normal sociatal decency, ie: Homsexuality, be it porn or lit.

So no side is immune to the wiles of the weapon, only one uses it to stifle speech, on the intent of thought.

I find that terrifying.

Slippery slope be damned, when one can be punished for a thought, our society has begun to eat itself.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#13
Ezra Levant is a hatefull bigot.
 
CDNBear
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Ezra Levant is a hatefull bigot.

Any proof, or are you of those 'Thought cops' we're worrying about?

Funny Beav, you did a lil dance on me in one of Townsey's thread on the Jews about free speech and yet here you are, calling a man who's, for all intents and purposes, only crime is reprinting some cartoons.

Do the fundemental principals of freedom of speech only matter when the ideology being flamed is one that you embrace or feel is ok to be taken to task?
 
MikeyDB
#15
Human rights...

The right to change the RCMP dress uniform to appease a religious minority... the right of younsters to carry knives as a statement of their religious pursuasion....

There's lots of protection going on here in Canada......
 
MikeyDB
#16
Colpy

When it comes to the rights of Canadians to live in a nation without firearms violence would you be so quick to agree that something like the Human Rights Commission has the authority to take your guns?

I know I wouldn't, but then I thought that the Canadian Human Rights Commission would fairly represent my rights as a Canadian but it certainly appears that's not the case.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Any proof, or are you of those 'Thought cops' we're worrying about?

Funny Beav, you did a lil dance on me in one of Townsey's thread on the Jews about free speech and yet here you are, calling a man who's, for all intents and purposes, only crime is reprinting some cartoons.

Do the fundemental principals of freedom of speech only matter when the ideology being flamed is one that you embrace or feel is ok to be taken to task?

His intent was to enflame hatered and perpetuate stereotyping of Muslims, he's a piece of hatefull crap, I've read enough of his garbage to know exactly what he is and exactly what he's worth, I wouldn't cross the street to urinate on him if he was on fire.
 
Just the Facts
Free Thinker
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

His intent was to enflame hatered and perpetuate stereotyping of Muslims, he's a piece of hatefull crap, I've read enough of his garbage to know exactly what he is and exactly what he's worth, I wouldn't cross the street to urinate on him if he was on fire.

Ironically, dragging him before the HRC is giving him the notoriety he's looking for. It also does more to perpetuate the stereotype of Muslims than any cartoon. Like the guy in the video said, if they didn't make such a fuss, not only would the cartoons have been long forgotton, very few people would have been aware of them in the first place.

It's all a ruse, as evidenced by the three cartoons that were originally shown by the Imams...3 of the fifteen original were planted by the imams...the three rudest most offensive of fifteen original cartoons were created deliberately by the clergy to incite anger.

That's the biggest hurdle to ending stereotypes, not anything Ezra Levant can say or do.
 
Pangloss
#19
CDN Bear:

Please remember we are a Conservative province, and have been for a very long time. Kinda hard to blame the left for the present setup of our HRC.

Stupid seems to be a virus, and nobody seems to have immunity. Certainly not anyone in the political ranks.

Pangloss
 

Similar Threads

1
Our human rights vs. The Others
by JBeee | Feb 15th, 2010
14
What are human rights?
by Higgins | Feb 19th, 2009
0
U.N. Human Rights Council
by Curiosity | Mar 26th, 2007