China's human rights "not an issue for UK Olympians."

Blackleaf
Human rights 'not issue for UK Olympians'

By Richard Spencer in Beijing
11/08/2007
The Telegraph

Simon Clegg, the British Olympic Association chief executive, says the organisation is apolitical

Britain's Olympic team will resist any attempt to boycott or join in political protests at next year's Games in Beijing, its head warns in a combative interview today.

Simon Clegg, chief executive of the British Olympic Association, said he would not succumb to pressure from human rights groups or politicians over participation in what promises to be the most controversial Games for two decades.

He added that any member of the team who made a public protest in Beijing, for example over human rights or in favour of a free Tibet, risked being thrown off the squad.

"We are an apolitical organisation," he said in an interview in Beijing with The Daily Telegraph. "We live in a free society, and groups are free to express their views and write to us. They will get a polite response making it very clear that our focus in on performance."

Celebrations in Beijing to mark the one-year countdown to the Games were accompanied by a series of protests over issues ranging from China's support for the government of Sudan, accused of genocide in Darfur, to its restrictions on freedom of speech.

Eight Free Tibet Campaign protesters, including two Britons, were detained and then deported after six of them abseiled off the Great Wall carrying a protest banner.

A paramilitary police officer gestures towards
a photographer in Tiananmen Square

Mr Clegg was speaking as Edward McMillan-Scott, former leader of the Tories' Euro-MEPs and vice-president of the European parliament, launched a campaign demanding Gordon Brown, the prime minister, consider shunning the Beijing Games.

"There is continuing evidence of persecution, and even genocide, in China," he said. "The civilised world must seriously consider shunning China - and using the Beijing Olympics to send the clear message that such abuses of human rights are not acceptable.

"The debate must take place - whether the countries of the European Union are present at the Beijing Olympics or whether they stay away."

But Mr Clegg recalled that in 1980 the British Olympic team had insisted on taking part in the Moscow Olympics despite a decision by then prime minister Margaret Thatcher in favour of a boycott over the occupation of Afghanistan.

"Mrs Thatcher announced that she had decided not to send a team to the Moscow Games," he said. "But the BOA is one of the few such bodies that is independent of government in the whole world. We politely reminded the prime minister that it wasn't her decision."

There was huge controversy over the team's insistence on taking part, but the Games made a star of Sebastian Coe, winner of the men's 1500 metres, who is now head of the organising committee for the London 2012 Games.

Mr Clegg warned that athletes who wanted to make their own protest over an issue such as Tibet or human rights at the Games could lose their place instantly under the terms of the 32-page contract all members of the team are required to sign.

He added that most would not want to lose their focus on sport. "For the vast majority of the athletes competing at the Olympic Games is probably the highlight of their careers, if not their entire lives," he said.

His threat has a precedent. Tommie Smith and John Carlos, who won gold and bronze in the 200 metres at the Mexico Games in 1968 made a Black Power salute when receiving their medals and were kicked off the American squad.

But Amnesty International, which earlier this week released a report condemning China's human rights record in advance of the Games countdown, said it was Beijing, not groups like Amnesty, that had brought the issue into the Games.

"Human rights are not a political issue - it's about basic human principles," a spokesman said. "China brought human rights and the Olympics together, by promising to use the Olympics to promote human rights - and they haven't."

Chinese activists are also demanding the country change the face it presents to the world for the Games. A homegrown group, China Human Rights Defenders published an open letter signed by 47 of the country's best-known dissidents, writers and lawyers demanding China free political prisoners, grant union and media rights, and pay proper compensation to Beijing residents evicted to make way for Olympic redevelopment.

"We feel disappointment and doubt as we witness the continuing systematic denial of the human rights of our fellow citizens even while - and sometimes because - Olympic preparations are moving forward," the letter said.

Liu Xiaobo, a signatory who took part in the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 and served five years in prison in the 1990s, said he was prepared to take the risk of standing up for human rights on his own, but added: "Before the Olympics start in Beijing, I'm sure atheletes from foreign countries will have the same wish that China's human rights conditions improve."

The Chinese government has repeatedly demanded that foreign groups "not politicise the Games".

telegraph.co.uk

tamarin
The major problem of the Olympics isn't political; it's environmental. The air quality in Chinese cities is so poor that games participation risks the health of our competitors. I can only wonder at the law suits possibly stirring post-2008 as world athletes struggle to recover.

Dreadful Nonsense
I don't think we should even consider asking of our atheletes to make political statements...their focus should be on the games themselves which they trained an entire life for.....
On the other hand i think everyone should stay away from china totally and snub them for that are....the government that is .......
We can still watch em on the telly...and cheer em on...but Chine should realize that it's totally not acceptable to continue to do what it does....

At least the rich and famous should make their mark...they won't for fear of going the way of Brad Pitt and Gere....banned from entry....for speaking their mind....phhhht...actually for pitt it was for staring in a movie about Tibet.....

Minority Observer84
Seriously the us spits on international law , invades countries unilaterally , abducts foreign citizens and haves them tortured and people are complaining about china . At least china's human rights abuses take place in their own country they don't invade other countries or abduct people on foreign soil to incarcerate them .

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by Minority Observer84 View Post

Seriously the us spits on international law , invades countries unilaterally , abducts foreign citizens and haves them tortured and people are complaining about china . At least china's human rights abuses take place in their own country they don't invade other countries or abduct people on foreign soil to incarcerate them .

Tibet is an occupied country, with it's government in exile. 1 million monks and nuns were tortued and killed....child monks forced to pull gun triggers to the heads of their teachers....Monks publically forced at gun point to have sex with nuns....thousands of monks show devices that were used on them in prison for the chinnese swine's enjoyment......

Minority Observer84
Quote: Originally Posted by DocDred View Post

Tibet is an occupied country, with it's government in exile. 1 million monks and nuns were tortued and killed....child monks forced to pull gun triggers to the heads of their teachers....Monks publically forced at gun point to have sex with nuns....thousands of monks show devices that were used on them in prison for the chinnese swine's enjoyment......

I'am not making the point that china is a peace loving country only that the issue of human rights is always applied to third world countries and completely ignored whenever a western country is involved . After what we allowed the United states to do in the past 8 years we really don't have the right to talk about Human rights we should just as a global community shut up about it .
Every single one of the men who came out of Gitmo Said he was tortured , whipped , abused , rectal probing , electricity , water torture , Burning and defacing their holy books and cultural beliefs , beating , starving , chaining , group humiliation ................ Please do not pretend that your taking the high road on this .

tamarin
China is the super power of the future. We should study it in preparation for that future world we'll live in.

Dreadful Nonsense

Please do not pretend that your taking the high road on this .

Moi*eye flutters*...take the high road....heaven forbid....LOL

You did say
Quote:

At least china's human rights abuses take place in their own country they don't invade other countries or abduct people on foreign soil to incarcerate them .

And that is total fabrication......

Minority Observer84

Moi*eye flutters*...take the high road....heaven forbid....LOL

You did say
And that is total fabrication......

LOL Doc why must u make me think .
Are the people of Tibet being oppressed without cause , yes . Is there culture at risk of disapearing due to a deliberate Chinese goverment actions ( Such as moving large settler populations into Tibet ) yes . Is Tibet an independant country under occupation ? No . At least not under international law , it's a complicated legal issue but as far as I know Tibet was never recongnised as an independent county for a countryto be considered independent under international law depends on whether it possesses the necessary criteria for statehood (territory, population, independent government, ability to conduct international relations), not whether governments of other states recognize its independent status. So it is not as clear cut and issue as brad pit makes it out to be .

Dreadful Nonsense

LOL Doc why must u make me think .
Are the people of Tibet being oppressed without cause , yes . Is there culture at risk of disapearing due to a deliberate Chinese goverment actions ( Such as moving large settler populations into Tibet ) yes . Is Tibet an independant country under occupation ? No . At least not under international law , it's a complicated legal issue but as far as I know Tibet was never recongnised as an independent county for a countryto be considered independent under international law depends on whether it possesses the necessary criteria for statehood (territory, population, independent government, ability to conduct international relations), not whether governments of other states recognize its independent status. So it is not as clear cut and issue as brad pit makes it out to be .

Well maybe these laws you speak of were invented by the very device you seem to loathe UN...lol

Hey Tibet is thousands of years old....there was this 15 year period over 500 years ago where under one the dynasty's they enjoyed a relationship which they ditched after that chinnese emporor dies..This is waht china basis their occupation on....Oddly enough it was George W Bush then govenor of Texas that procalimed indeed Tibet was an occupied country.....

I don't know what you want thousands of years of a semblance of border....I'm sure for the last 800 under the Dalai Lama's a defined border...Could go back to a solid thousand years......

Stay real my young athiest stay real

*gives manly hand shake and pats shoulder*

Minority Observer84

Stay real my young athiest stay real
*gives manly hand shake and pats shoulder*

LOL Doc Granted it's a legal technicality and does not alter thousands of years of an Independent Tibet . But the point I was making is that there is an elephant in the room of human rights abuses that no one want to acknowledge .

Dreadful Nonsense

LOL Doc Granted it's a legal technicality and does not alter thousands of years of an Independent Tibet . But the point I was making is that there is an elephant in the room of human rights abuses that no one want to acknowledge .

*screams*legal technacality!!!!???
you are ignoring the mass murderof a million monk and nuns and seem ok with it on a legal technacality....When Our Masters save the world from the dreaded not so sleeping extremist hoard...
Who are you?

God Bless America and you should be paying homage to America instead of this twattle......

Minority Observer84

*screams*legal technacality!!!!???
you are ignoring the mass murderof a million monk and nuns and seem ok with it on a legal technacality....When Our Masters save the world from the dreaded not so sleeping extremist hoard...
Who are you?

God Bless America and you should be paying homage to America instead of this twattle......

I'am not an extremist just a realist . I do not seek to belittle the suffering of anyone , read my post well the claim to a legal technicality does not in any way belay the pain of the Tibetan people or that of countless Chinese yearning to be free of their corrupt and oppressive government .
It is you my friend who is ignoring the pain of millions out of some misplaced sense of absolute admiration .

Dreadful Nonsense

I'am not an extremist just a realist . I do not seek to belittle the suffering of anyone , read my post well the claim to a legal technicality does not in any way belay the pain of the Tibetan people or that of countless Chinese yearning to be free of their corrupt and oppressive government .
It is you my friend who is ignoring the pain of millions out of some misplaced sense of absolute admiration .

sooo what part of our masters the americans are you confused about...tell ole doc here....mwwwwuuuaaahahahahaha....

Minority Observer84

sooo what part of our masters the americans are you confused about...tell ole doc here....mwwwwuuuaaahahahahaha....

You know it's hard to argue with you when you keep making me laugh doc

china
tamarin

Quote:

The major problem of the Olympics isn't political; it's environmental. The air quality in Chinese cities is so poor that games participation risks the health of our competitors.

We had the Olympics held in Mexico City and the pollution of that place is worse than in todays Beijing and the city of Qing Dao ,the two cities where the competitions will be held .This info .is not in reference to any "tragic" newspaper story or a TV show.I have a first hand experience. I have visited Mexico City about 20 ys ago. I visit Beijing at least once every 2 month,and Qing Dao is located about 2 hr. drive from where my company is located . Yes there are many polluted cities in China ,just like anywhere else in this world of ours but don't worry about China ,tamarin ,"guard" your own country ;I've read somewhere that "the Russians are coming"and stealing parts of Canada.
Last edited by china; Aug 12th, 2007 at 07:42 AM..

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by china View Post

tamarin

but don't worry about China ,tamarin ,"guard" your own country ;I've read somewhere that "the Russians are coming"and stealing parts of Canada.

there are indeed china...they have devised a most dastardly scheme where they have these families coming here and posing as tourists....late at night when they think no one is watching they steal our land....We have them on camara digging out swatches of land from suburban homes....placing them in lead lined satchels so as to avoid xray, and *gasps* taking it back to mother russia....One cisis head has stated that by the year 2178 canada will be bereft of land

damn russians

Dreadful Nonsense

You know it's hard to argue with you when you keep making me laugh doc

you scare me ...don't you realize ..ack!..

Hell i'm ok this morning .....i watched 300 last night and know everything is going to be fine in this fight to preserve our fray mouth way of life, and the sanctity of our bodily fluids free from flouride

tamarin
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...PStory/Comment

I just hope our teams survive. Poor, innocent blighters!

tamarin
You can read the whole article by googling "Olympic Cloud."

china
tamarin

Dear tamarin ,China is Polluted - agree ,but Beijing and Qing Dao are not that bad. I have visited many cities in US about 25-30 ys ago,that were more polluted than the present Beijing - Los Angeles(sorry Curio) ,Detroit City ,just an example .Qing Dao is a beautiful city located on the coast of Yellow Sea , there is a little pollution but many days the sky is crystal clean ;depends which way the wind blows.haha.
I think the important thing is tamarin ,China has begun working on "cleaning up itself".

Quote:

You can read the whole article by googling "Olympic Cloud."

I can read it..... but "like I live here , I can see what's happening " -
I think it is healthy tamarin to be at least a bit skeptical when "googling", or reading stories in a newspapers.But that is only my point of view .
Russians are coming ?........well thats just regarding the Russian flags dropped on the bottom of the sea in the Canadian waters.I,ve read it here in the forum.;am I skeptical.? ..not sure; I'll wait till after the Olympics.

Unforgiven
The water in China is bad too. The Yangtze river which makes up a good portion of their fresh water has areas so polluted that they can not be restored. As it floods so badly and so often they have built a huge dam to help with that problem but the water behind the dam is very polluted with fertilizer, pesticide and sewage.

With the economic development now going on, it will only get worse.

Minority Observer84

you scare me ...don't you realize ..ack!..

Hell i'm ok this morning .....i watched 300 last night and know everything is going to be fine in this fight to preserve our fray mouth way of life, and the sanctity of our bodily fluids free from flouride

Not to mention our freedom to fornicate at will .